Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2021-22 Ashes Series

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 3:31pm
Something is rotten. If Paine was ok when CA cleared him, and all board members at the time digned off on it, and all new board members were handed the Paine file on day 1, why is he not ok now?
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 3:32pm
signed off

Simon Cameron

Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

signed off

thought is that what you meant, they would hardly have dined (same pronunciation as digned ) out on itWinkWink
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 6:37pm

Former staffer requested Paine apology and legal fee payment in 2018

By Daniel Brettig and Andrew Wu

The former Cricket Tasmania staffer who received explicit text messages and an image from Tim Paine in November 2017, formally contacted Cricket Australia the following year requesting first an apology, then an apology and the sum of $40,000 to cover her legal costs.

Representatives of CA were also handed a full printed copy of the explicit text exchanges and images by a representative of the former staffer in January 2019, almost three years before Paine’s tearful resignation as men’s Test captain.

CA has confirmed to The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald that the staffer contacted the governing body multiple times in the second half of 2018, requesting an apology from Paine and money to cover her legal costs in an ongoing dispute with Cricket Tasmania.

The emails sent by the staffer to CA were addressed to Christine Harman, the organisation’s head of legal affairs, and shared with a select group of senior staff at the time.

In Harman’s response in early November, the request was declined on the basis that it was a dispute between the staffer and two employees of Cricket Tasmania, as Paine was not a CA contracted player at the time of the text exchanges in November 2017 on the night before and the morning of the first Test of that summer’s Ashes series.

However, as he was not only CA contracted but also the captain of the national team when the exchanges were brought to CA’s attention in May 2018, Paine was subject to parallel investigations by CA’s integrity unit and also Cricket Tasmania.

The meeting, in Sydney around the final Test of that summer’s series against India, meant that CA had been given every message between the pair and the explicit image that Paine had sent as he continued to captain the Test team between then and his last match as leader, against India in January this year.

A CA integrity investigation of the matter, which included a search of Paine’s phone, concluded in May 2018 that the 36-year-old had not transgressed in a manner that would bring a charge under its code of conduct.

Sean Mulcahy, who was contacted by the staffer’s then lawyer to set up a meeting with CA because of his association with cricket, described what took place.

“I provided a full copy of the text conversation with Tim Paine, including the pictures that were sent,” he said. “I indicated that it was her intention to keep the matter private and that she was seeking an apology from Cricket Tasmania and her legal fees reimbursed. I was subsequently contacted by Christine Harman at CA, advising that no mediation would take place. That was my last discussion with CA.”

The emails also mentioned the possibility of the story being taken to media outlets, but the staffer eventually decided not to go through with that plan.

“I advised that her only remaining course of action through me was to take the matter to the media,” Mulcahy said. “I told her that given the impending Ashes series, the severe fallout from the South Africa incident and subsequent sacking of then captain Steve Smith, that she could possibly command a large fee for her story. Her ultimate decision was to let the matter go and move on.

“It was always my understanding that she never wanted this matter to become public. She turned down the possibility of a big pay day to tell the story, yet she chose to stay quiet. I don’t believe she is the source of this story now being made public.”

The former staffer is currently in court facing charges of theft related to her time at Cricket Tasmania, allegations that she denies.

Shannon Tubb, another Cricket Tasmania employee and Paine’s brother-in-law, who the female staffer also complained of being sexually harassed by, had his contract terminated in a confidential agreement with the state association also in 2018.

Paine, in a shared interview with his wife Bonnie in the Sunday Herald Sun, said that he always had a feeling that the fact of the text exchanges and explicit image would get out into the public arena eventually.

“I thought the issue was dealt with, but it always popped up around a big series, or at the start of the cricket season,” he said. “Over the last three years, there have been numerous times where media agencies have put to us that they had evidence, yet they never chose to write it.

“As to why, I’m not sure, but nobody else had chosen to write the story, but I knew it was going to come out at some point, as much as I didn’t want it to.”

Bonnie Paine described her mix of emotions when dealing with the issue. “I was shocked. I remember feeling angry because we had a little girl that wasn’t too old,” she said. “At the same time, Tim and I had been in a long relationship, it’d been 10 years, and God knows we had had our ups and downs, and I don’t claim to be perfect, but I was still completely rocked.”

reductio ad absurdum
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 8:44am
Tim Paine stepping away from all forms of cricket for mental health.

Probably thanks to all the sweethearts who treated him like he killed someone
Time is a flat circle
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 9:15am
Nah, they’ve told him his form is not up to scratch, and let him announce he’s out.

Personally,I’m of the view if your form doesn’t warrant selection, then you shouldn’t be the captain.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 9:19am
"Shannon Tubb, another Cricket Tasmania employee and Paine’s brother-in-law, who the female staffer also complained of being sexually harassed by"

What's the story there? What form of sexual harassment was that? How did Paine and brother-in-law happen to hit on the same woman?

Simon Cameron

ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 9:23am
Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

Nah, they’ve told him his form is not up to scratch, and let him announce he’s out.

Personally,I’m of the view if your form doesn’t warrant selection, then you shouldn’t be the captain.

Agree. Why a team would want to carry a player who’s not in the best XI on form and ability is anyones guess. I doubt one player’s captaincy could be so far above anyone else’s that it offsets what’s lost by them not being the best choice for their position in the lineup. 
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 9:25am
Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

I don't think his form warranted selection either but that just makes it gross that they'd say it's for mental health reasons.
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 9:54am
Yeah, I agree.
But player managers are not a high bar
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 11:47am
Cummins and Smith. Which means Smith will captain Australia again while Cummins is rested.

Simon Cameron

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 11:56am
I doubt Cummins will be rested from Test matches.

Who is the One Day team captain, Finch ? 
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 12:26pm
PC: I very much doubt that I will rest from Test cricket. I have never rested from a game of Test cricket before, so I doubt that will start now
reductio ad absurdum
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 1:07pm
When i used to care about cricket - many moons ago (before i got hooked on US sport) - the job of captaining Australia was as good as it got. You know - numero uno - across all sports - all politics - all business positions. The most respected role you could get. Now it ranks alongside drug dealing & pimping thanks to Smith & Paine.

Why would they bring Smith back as to VC. Disgracing that role once is surely enough.
Refer ALP Election Promises
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 1:32pm
That is a little over the top One One.

Both Smith and Paine are far more respectable individuals than the current Prime Minister. Smith was a poor captain before Sandpapergate but should make a good vice captain. Not having the pressure of the top job should suit. He can run the show whilst Cummins is working his spell.

reductio ad absurdum
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 2:58pm
Australian Cricket XI Hall of Infamy:

1. Michael Slater stalking
2. Cameron Bancroft ball tampering
3. David Warner punch-ups and ball tampering
4. Steve Smith ball tampering
5. Greg Chappell demanding underarm delivery by brother
6. Michael Clarke claiming non-catches and threatening to break Jimmy Anderson's #*! arm
7. Mark Waugh taking bookie bribes for info
8. Tim Paine sexting scandal
9. Shane Warne using banned substance and bookie scandal
10. Mitchell Starc first verballing then beaming Pollard
11. Dennis Lillee deliberately getting in Miandad's way when attempting to run for two

Coach: Boof (nothing to see here) Lehmann
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 2:59pm
Dennis Lillie - plus trying to use an aluminium bat. 
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 3:20pm
Ricky Ponting   Bourbon Beefsteak.

Boof  c*** c*** f*****black c**** 
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 3:33pm
Manager: Sir Donald Bradman.  Accepted 1000 pounds per year (the equivalent of about $60,000 today) for playing Test cricket.  And later as administrator vociferously opposed professionalism let alone a living wage in cricket at its highest level.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 3:36pm
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 5:07pm
Dennis Lillee & Rod Marsh backing England @ 500-1 mid match.
And losing the game….
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Manager: Sir Donald Bradman.  Accepted 1000 pounds per year (the equivalent of about $60,000 today) for playing Test cricket.  And later as administrator vociferously opposed professionalism let alone a living wage in cricket at its highest level.
Absolutely , Neil Harvey knocked back after telling the board he was broke and couldn't survive on £85-0 a test , asked could he do some journalism to compensate , No was the answer , but he eventually got a job as sales rep for a glass factory , this is a man named in our best Aust.X1 and team of the century !
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 7:00pm
Is there anyone who thinks that Paine is the only man in sport who has sexted.

Didn't Sir Don hate Catholics? Wasn't he a supporter of the orange men in Northern Ireland?

Wasn't it the joke that you had to keep you allegiance to the Pope and his crowd secret or you were never going to play test cricket, unless you were super talented?

Isn't the reason Smith being picked, as vice captain, because the cupboard is bare and there is no experience in the captaincy area worth promoting?

The only one I could see who would be worthy is the South African, but he is about two years off being ready.  

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 8:04pm
If Paine was one of our top 3 batsmen, and catching anything that came near him, he’d still be captain.

Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 6:20am
I don't like how he's played the mental health card.

This happened before he took on the test captaincy, suggested to represent the nice, clean image guy, with this skeleton in his closet all along.  It comes out and he is rightly called out for his hypocrisy so he says, "ahh my mental health, leave me alone!"  

No Tim, your just upset because you got caught out being a hypocrite, I'm sure you would gladly have played this series knowing of these skeletons in your closet and been in fine mental order, had your hypocrisy not been exposed.  Remember a couple months ago when Joe Root expressed some reservations of coming for the tour if they had to play in the bubble, due to mental strain of being stuck in the bubble, away from family, etc and Paine's response was, "the Ashes will go ahead, with or without Joe!" but now he just wants everyone to go away and stop saying things he doesn't like because "mental health!"

See, here's the thing, Tim Paine isn't suffering from depression or anxiety or any other mental health condition, it's called shame and guilt, because he knows he's been caught out, the thing with genuine mental health issues is that they strike at any time, it's a genuine thing and people who are struck by them need to be allowed the chance to heal from them, no different to a physical injury.  It's just a shame that people like Paine and others before him play this card when they've been in the wrong so that the scrutiny turns from criticism of the wrong doing to support to help you get better.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 6:37am
The mental health card is the only card a white bloke has to play.Tongue

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 6:38am
Straight white bloke that is.Tongue

Simon Cameron

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 6:41am
Cummings as Captain will bolster the Climate Change people .

He is good at the climate delusions but falls a lot short at cricket .

Lay Australia right through this season.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 6:46am

England captain Joe Root says it is "scary" to think that cricket may not be played outdoors in certain parts of the world in 30 years' time because of the impact of climate change.

Cricket already takes place in some of the hottest parts of the globe, but that could soon become impossible.

Root says everyone needs to play a part in protecting the environment in order to preserve the sport as we know it.

"It's quite stark and something needs to be done," he told BBC Sport.

"It is scary to think the game as it is right now may not be the case in 30 years' time.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/57126777

Simon Cameron

Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 6:54am
"Falls a lot short in cricket"

13th best bowling average since WW2 (pre-war bowling averages were a lot lower, 12 of the top 16 bowling averages all time, minimum 2000 deliveries were from pre-WW1 players, with a 13th of the top 16 coming in the inter-war years).

2nd best bowling average in the last 25 years, shading Glen McGrath and behind only Curtly Ambrose.

3rd best bowling average of Australian bowlers post-war, only bettered by Ernie Toshack, who only played 12 tests betwen 1946 and 1948 and of course the great Alan Davidson, as well as having the best strike rate of any Australian bowler over this period.

High bar you've set, Maxie.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>