Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2020 Melbourne Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 23>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 3:30pm
See article...Stradavarius has been given a provisional Timeform rating of 130: https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/timeform-strad-hits-130-high/181037 ;      
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 4:42pm

Cross Counter on track for Cup

Cross Counter remains on track for his third appearance in the Melbourne Cup after finishing a distant third in the £250,000 (A$450,000) Group 1 Ascot Gold Cup (4014m) on Thursday.

The John Gosden-trained Stradivarius conquered the Gold Cup for the third consecutive year, winning by ten lengths with total ease under Frankie Dettori.

2018 Melbourne Cup winner Cross Counter ($8) was among seven rivals left in the wake of a champion, finishing 18 lengths behind Stradivarius ($1.80 favourite) and another eight behind runner-up Nayef Road ($12) who attempted to lead throughout.

But Appleby saw enough from the five-year-old gelded son of Teofilo under James Doyle to be pleased with the performance.

"The plan was to ride him cold and let him float round the back there and passing horses," Appleby said.

“I think since Melbourne, we haven’t ridden him differently, but he has been ridden slightly more positively. I just thought today let him go past horses and see if the enthusiasm is still there.

“For me I was delighted to see him do what he did. He galloped out on (soft) ground he doesn’t really enjoy.

"James (Doyle) thought he would nick a bit of ground coming on the inside, but it was an encouraging run. The horse will have enjoyed that and come forward for it."

Appleby indicated that Cross Counter would have his next start in the Group 3 Henry II Stakes (3712m) at Sandown on Sunday, July 5. The race is usually held in May but has been rescheduled due to the COVID-19 outbreak which suspended British racing for over two months.

“He won’t have to carry a (weight) penalty and thankfully there will be no Stradivarius," Appleby said, with Stradivarius set to proceed to the Group 1 Goodwood Cup (3219m), a race he has won the past three years.

“The long-term target has always been the Melbourne Cup. He ran a very creditable race in it again last year (finishing eighth to Vow And Declare).

"I think more importantly, what we have seen today he is back to where he was in Melbourne. Just ride him chilly, as he sees it out well and has a good turn of foot.

“I was very encouraged to see what I saw today and hopefully there is a race or two left in him.”

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

I know this will not happen but here it goes.

If Amanda whatshername at the VRC wants to pull off a coup, here it is.

To get the best 2800m+ horse (Stradivarius) in the world to the first Tuesday in November, pay the connections an appearance fee equal to the first prizemoney of the Arc, and lay out the red carpet (so in other words give him 60 kilos, he should be carrying 62 at least).

I know he wont come, but this horse would be the biggest attraction the Cup has had since Phar Lap was to carry the 66.5 kilos in 1932, okay maybe Kingston Town and Makybe Diva for her 3rd, would be in that final!

Bigger even than Double Trigger!Shocked
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Mug-Punter View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mug-Punter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 10:37pm
So it's only taken 8 months to finally watch a replay of last years race.... What weight would Surprise Baby get this year compared to last year??? 
The Mugg
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Mug-Punter Mug-Punter wrote:

So it's only taken 8 months to finally watch a replay of last years race.... What weight would Surprise Baby get this year compared to last year??? 

Surprise Baby carried 53.5kg in the 2019 Melbourne Cup. In regards to 2020, he'll probably get 54kg. I'm not sure he'd get anything lighter then that. 
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 5:55pm
I've been chipping away at Buckhurst for a while but I think Covid will make it a local win this year. Which might be a good story/ debate topic in the years to come.
cotto1 View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 11:48am
Hi there guys: 
any chance Sydney will pinch the Melbourne cup this year and it will be run and won in nsw.your guys thoughts?. 

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 12:03pm
With the rivalry between the States? LOL Not even a 1% chance!
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
cotto1 View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 12:05pm
Hi there guys: 
Do you reckon marmelo will be back again after last year?. 

Rhino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 12:55pm
Nominations are not due until 27 August. Can anyone shed any light on where travel restrictions are at for international horses?
Could this be the first Cup ever for locals only?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 1:22pm
November is a long way off. Steely Dan will have things back to normal by then, equally normal to Sydney anyway.

Simon Cameron

Rhino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 2:18pm
So we are all screwed then. 
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by cotto1 cotto1 wrote:

Hi there guys: 
Do you reckon marmelo will be back again after last year?. 

Marmelo was retired to stud in France late last year.  So we won’t be seeing him back again.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 10:08pm
Okay we have seen a few of the overseas horses who may come out (especially if it is held at Randwick LOL, isn't that deputy premier of NSW a intelligent man Wacko ) so what do we feel the field will be if the internationals can not get to Melbourne?

At this moment it is looking lacklustre but here is where I think we sit.

1. Vow And Declare
2. Oceanex
3. Warning
4. Surprise Baby
5. King Of Leongrance
6. Etah James
7. Roger That
8. Verry Elleegant
9. Quick Thinker
10. Sherwood Forest
11. Russian Camelot
12. Metrop winner
13. Bart Cummings winner
14. Steel Prince (not sure what is happening there)
15. The Chosen One
16. Lexus winner
17. Collette (not sure about Godolphin running a four year old mare)
18. Raheen House
19. Dalasan (if they decide he is a stayer)
20. Sound
21. Caulfield Cup winner
22. Shared Ambition
23. Finche
24. Carif

Then we have horses who are here but they are either down in the ratings, out of form or injured like Constantinople. Il Paradiso, the Mike Moroney horses such as Chapada, Top Of The Range and    , Perth Cup winner Mississippi Delta, Mugatoo, Supernova, Sweet Thomas, Mirage Dancer, Youngstar, Zebrowski, Eric The Eel (whoops I think he is in Hong Kong), Shraaoh.

Then we have the big player and he is a chance in a non-international year of doing the double with Master Of Wine being aimed at the Cox Plate/Melbourne Cup double. In a normal year I would never consider him as winning both, but when you look at his opposition, he will give both of them a serious shake.

Is there any other staying type that you guys can think will make an all Australian field? 
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 10:09pm
The other Moroney horse I was trying to think of was Aktau.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 10:20pm
IL Paradiso injured Voyager?
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 10:42pm
YepLOL, just read.Confused
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 11:16pm
Bryce may as well chuck a nom in for Hanaki Warrior LOL
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 11:30pm

Okay we have seen a few of the overseas horses who may come out (especially if it is held at Randwick LOL, isn't that deputy premier of NSW a intelligent man Wacko ) so what do we feel the field will be if the internationals can not get to Melbourne?

Is there any other staying type that you guys can think will make an all Australian field? 

Is Sixties Groove a chance? massive win at grafton under the big weight and I remember back before the european invasion a quennsland horse called oompala won the grafton cup and then ran a huge race in the cup same year
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 3:24pm
OTI has a 4yo stallion called San Huberto running in a 2800m
G2 race tonight at Longchamp.

He’s already a G2 winner at Chantilly, so I’d expect that if he runs well again tonight that he’d be on the plane to Aust for the Cups. 
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by marble marble wrote:

Is Sixties Groove a chance? massive win at grafton under the big weight and I remember back before the european invasion a quennsland horse called oompala won the grafton cup and then ran a huge race in the cup same year

In a era not too distant from Oompala, Kensei won the two Cups.

reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 4:18pm
What a nuisance it will be if there are no foreigners this year.

Simon Cameron

VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by marble marble wrote:

I was going to put him in marble, but I am wondering about his rating whether he is above horses like Carif and Raheen House.

I am dead certain, that if we do not get a large number of internationals and the Hawkes stable aim Master of Wine at the Cup, that with 54 or 54.5 he can win the race.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 6:20pm
Even in a full strength year Sixties Groove should get into the Melbourne Cup with a rating of 106+
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 3:42pm

Steel Prince and Warning

"He's come really well, he had a stress fracture in the autumn, so he needed a really long spell, which has done him the world of good because he's moving the best he's ever moved," Freedman said of Steel Prince.

"He'll probably have a quiet jumpout next week - he'll probably have three jumpouts in total - and then he'll resume in the Heatherlie Handicap and then he'll head towards the Melbourne Cup where he ran a really good race last year.

"He and Warning are probably our two main horses for the Melbourne Cup."

Steel Prince (IRE)

Trainer A.Freedman
Age 6YO
Sex Gelding
Colour Bay
Prize Money $765,012
Last 5 4679-
Career 22-8-5-1
POSJockeyTrackDateDISTRaceWGTMRGOdds
9 – 24B.PrebbleFLEM5 NOV 193200mMELB CUP52.5kg2.1L$61%
7 – 11D.OliverGEEL23 OCT 192400mGEEL CUP57.5kg4.6L$6%
6 – 11C.DouglasCAUL21 SEP 192000mNATURALISM57kg4L$7.50%
4 – 12D.OliverCAUL31 AUG 191700mHEATHERLIE HCP58.5kg1.8L$6%
1 – 18D.OliverFLEM25 MAY 192800mRAMSDEN58.5kg0.1L$2.90%

"Warning stays all day, so he'll run the two miles no problems and he handles any track condition," Freedman said,

"It's never easy as a rising four-year-old to go on a Melbourne Cup campaign but he's very hardened after a couple of big preparations and he handles his racing very well.

"He'll go down a similar path to Steel Prince, although he might not have as many runs as Steel Prince."

Warning

Trainer A.Freedman
Age 3YO
Sex Gelding
Colour Chestnut
Prize Money $1,482,900
Last 5 5633-
Career 13-2-1-3
POSJockeyTrackDateDISTRaceWGTMRGOdds
3 – 12D.ThorntonMORP9 MAY 202500mSA DERBY56.5kg2.8L$4.40%
3 – 12J.ToeroekMRPK25 APR 202035mCHAIRMANS57.5kg2L$6%
6 – 11T.BerryRAND4 APR 202400mATC DERBY56.5kg9L$5
5 – 13D.OliverRHIL21 MAR 202000mRHIL GNEAS56.5kg3.7L$5.50
5 – 12T.BerryRAND7 MAR 201600mRAND GNEAS56.5kg2L$9

reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 5:36pm
Verry Elleegant..............................................57.............116
Prince Of Arran..............................................57.............112
Mustajeer.......................................................57.............112
Vow And Declare...........................................56.5..........111
Finche............................................................56.5..........111
Young Rascal.................................................56.............110
Dashing Willoughby.......................................55.............108
Surprise Baby................................................55.............108
Master Of Wine..............................................55.............108
Wu Gok..........................................................55..............108
Sixties Groove................................................55..............108
Constantinople................................................55.............108
True Self.........................................................54.............110
Mirage Dancer................................................54.5..........107
Raheen House...............................................54..............107
Pondus...........................................................54..............107
The Chosen One............................................53.5...........106
Mr Quickie......................................................53.............105
Etah James....................................................52.5..........107
Haky................................................................52............103
Red Cardinal..................................................52.............103
Shared Ambition.............................................52............103
King Of Leogrance.........................................52.............103
Oceanex.........................................................51.5...........105
Carif...............................................................51.5...........101
Aktau..............................................................51..............100
Django Freeman............................................50...............98
Mugatoo.........................................................50..............98
Frankely Awesome.........................................49..............100
Almania...........................................................49.............97
Supernova......................................................48.5...........95
Our Candidate................................................46.5............91
Schabau.........................................................46.5............91
Mount Poppa..................................................44...............86

Super Girl.......................................................38.5............75

How does one fit the rising 4 year olds in with these compressed weights ?

Quick Thinker.................................................106
Colette............................................................106
Russian Camelot............................................105
Dalasan..........................................................103
Warning..........................................................103
Zebrowski........................................................96
Toffee Tongue..................................................96
Moonlight Maid................................................85
Kinane.............................................................84
Persan.............................................................79
Sacramento.....................................................79
Saint Eustace..................................................67
Wahine Toa......................................................65

reductio ad absurdum
cotto1 View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 9:45am
Hi there guys: 
That prince of aaran.what is he currently up to?. If I remember correctly he come 3rd.in last years cup.i didn’t mind him.seemed to have enough ability.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 10:34am
Hi Cotto

He hasn't started since his last run in HK about 7 months ago.  Here's the latest I could find on him:

Charlie Fellowes is keeping Prince Of Arran on track for a third Melbourne Cup run in spring despite admitting the worldwide COVID-19 pandemic continues to put his place in major doubt.

"If we can't come it would be devastating," Fellowes told RSN927 on Wednesday. "I have loved my trips down to Australia over the last few years and I would miss it very much.

"As far as we are concerned, until I am told that we can't come to Australia for the Spring Carnival, the plan is very much to prep him this year to come down to Australia for the Spring Carnival and have a couple of runs down there.

"As to what we do before that I don't know but we are planning to come down.

"I am very much hoping that we can come down again because it's been a great place for us. We've loved it and Prince Of Arran loves coming down there and I've got a couple of youngsters I'd like to take down there.

"The Melbourne Cup is a race I have become very fond of and the Australian Spring Carnival in general has been very good to me and it's a place I hope to come and bring horses for many years to come."

Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 10:40am
Whoops, incorrect.  He's had two starts this prep for a 3rd in a Gp 3 over about 2 miles followed by 6th in the Group1 Ascot Gold Cup over about 2 1/2 miles a month ago.
cotto1 View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 8:57am
Hi there guys: 
I was gathering everyone has a very high opinion of surprise baby.
I see he is one of the favourites for this year’s cup.what is he currently up to.and ty so much second chance.for the update on prince of aaran much appreciated ???? Ty
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 23>