Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2020 - 24 Aust & NZ Jumps Season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 2:07pm
Great to see jumps racing at a metro venue. Really needs to be more of it during the winter.

Race 1 is a hot novice hurdle, at the odds I’ll take Wolfe Tone.  Won 2 of 3 hurdle races last season, including this same race.  Bakery Hill is a watch from the perspective of a maiden hurdle soon.

Race 2, would have been on Home to Midnight on a wet track.  He can win without me as a bit wary of Good track for him.

Race 3, Bit of a Lad is a warrior but at the weights, I’d prefer Michelin.  I was on him at the Bool & will go again today.
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 2:56pm
Been watching Bakery Hill progressing nicely - At $8 today at Hamilton I’ll have an each way bet on him.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by Lord Hybrow Lord Hybrow wrote:

Been watching Bakery Hill progressing nicely - At $8 today at Hamilton I’ll have an each way bet on him.
Hope a few TBV jumps fans were on Bakery Hill today - $9.00 win & $2.60 place. Nothing better than watching a horse progress & then striking just at the right time. Not sure he’ll reach any great heights this season, but he’s only a 5yo and being by Raise The Flag will get better as he gets older.

Was impressed by American in Paris, another younger jumper 5yo by Americain with Symon Wilde.  He justified his super short price today with a comfortable win.  Sounds like the stable think he might be a lightweight chance in the Victorian GN Steeplechase in a few months.

Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 5:30pm
Darryl Horner failed a drug test at the Bool.
Banned for a month.
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 4:15pm

Lee's love for Undergroundfighter

Lee Horner begins each morning with a rehabilitation routine that not only serves to strengthen his broken leg, but also to reassure him of as to why he gets out of bed so early.

That reason comes in the form of a racehorse that is neither a star nor could even be termed as remotely handy. He is Undergroundfighter, a distinctly slow jumper who has not won since 2016 and lately, has struggled to keep up in a long lost list of steeplechases races stretching from Melbourne to Oakbank.

But those mere bald facts mask what might be the true purpose of the 10-year-old. He may be poor in galloping talent but the veteran of 91 starts – more than 50 of those over the jumps - is rich in mentoring and nurturing skills for both horses and humans.

Undergroundfighter, who is out of the mare French Resistence, has been transferred to the stables of Horner’s wife Amy McDonald at Ballarat by co-owner and former trainer Tony Rosolini, who responded to Horner’s pleas to have the horse in his later racing years after sharing a long history with the notorious plodder.

“Since I broke my leg (in March) I’ve used him to half rehab myself,” Horner said. “He is the first horse I ride each morning and that loosens my leg up for the rest of the day.

“I just love the horse. He’s such a legend. He works with the babies in their progression and lots of young kids have started their careers riding him.

“If you go back and look at his trials, so many kids have had a go on him to get their licence. Tony is so good like that. He lets them send him around and it gets them on their way.”

Each morning he rides him, Horner marvels at the horse’s chronic lack of speed.

“It’s hard to tell people just how slow he is,” he said. “But he goes all day though and he jumps so safely.

“I’m not sure whether he’ll go much better for us. He’s so slow. Honestly, he’s the slowest horse ever. We were at Avoca the other day and he was coming down the straight with this two-year-old filly and it was such a sight. He was going about 14s (seconds to the furlong) and he was absolutely flat out.”

Despite his long non-winning sequence and the length of time it takes for him to complete each race, Undergroundfighter has won nearly $280,000 in stakes due to some treasured feature-race placings and the horse will figure strongly in the career highlight reel of Horner, who figures he has ridden him in 25 races, and of his younger brother Darryl.

“He was my little brother’s first ever jumps winner, he was my first ever ride in a Grand National and he ran third and he was my first ride in an (Grand) Annual and he ran fourth,” Horner said.

“He’s well-known around Ballarat already in the short time he’s been here. He’s just a legend. We just enjoy having him around.

“He’s worth his weight in gold.”

Rosolini said he had long known Horner’s love for his horse and was happy to pass it on to him and McDonald.

“He was sort of going to be retired but Lee wanted to use him to teach some of the young apprentices I suppose you’d call them,” Rosolini said.

“He wants to teach the young guys that are going for their jumps license. He’s such a safe jumper, I could ride him over the jumps.

“Lee also said to me that he’ll be riding him in his comeback race because he said ‘I know he’ll be good to me’.”

Horner confirmed his comeback would be timed to coincide the Undergroundfighter’s first jumps run for the stable.

“I’ll have my first ride back on him in a maiden hurdle or something like that,” he said.

“I just have faith in him and I’ll bob around on him and get around safe and that’ll start me off and get me back into it.”

Horner said he had hoped to return to riding earlier but his broken leg sustained in March is taking its time to heal and the delay put in doubt his immediate return as rider for outstanding ‘chaser Flying Agent.

“I kept putting a time-frame on it but it kept giving me a bit of gyp,” he said. “But I rode Undergroundfighter in my first school back today (Tuesday) and its coming along so I hope it will only be a few weeks.”

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 4:18pm

Aussie Grand Nationals await NZ jumper

Promising jumper Aigne travelled across the Tasman Sea two years ago to contest the Jericho Cup (4600m) at Warrnambool and owner Neil O'Dowd is keen for a repeat crossing, but this time for other targets.

O'Dowd, who trained Aigne to his sixth-placed finish in his sole Australian start, has now entrusted the eight-year-old to the care of Wanganui-based trainer Kevin Myers, who has formed a formidable partnership with the gelding since he joined his barn.

Aigne won four of his seven starts for Myers last year, including the Pakuranga Hunt Hurdle (3350m), Awapuni Hurdles (2900m) and Parliamentary Handicap (2100m), and ran third in the Great Northern Hurdle (4190m).

Boasting a record of four wins and two placings from six hurdle starts, Aigne has shown a talent for jumping and now Myers is keen to test him over the steeples.

He has accepted with Aigne for both the Cody Singer Memorial Steeplechase (3200m) and LJ Hooker Manawatu Steeplechase (4200m) at Awapuni on Saturday, with a final decision to be made later in the week on which race he will contest.

O'Dowd was a bit surprised to see his horse's name appear in the Steeplechase fixtures, but said the run is needed in order to tackle some loftier targets later this year.

"He was always going to have a chase start at some stage to cement his ticket," O'Dowd said.

"The plan is for him to go to Australia at the end of the season and run in the Grand National Hurdle (4200m) and then probably have a chase start and then run in the Grand National Chase (4500m).

"The Manawatu Hurdles, if he was in, was his for the taking, but Kevin has put him in the chase.

"It is a Heavy 10 there, so that will slow them up and he will have a nice run there, but which one he will race in we will wait and see. One is 3200m and the other is 4200m, there is no doubt he will run the distances alright."

Aigne has had three starts this preparation, all on the flat, and O'Dowd said the tracks are now more to his liking for jumping assignments.

"I wasn't fussed about the Waikato Hurdles because the track is normally too firm," he said. "I thought he may have run in the McGregor Grant, but he didn't. Now you are down to Manawatu, Hawke's Bay, and Wellington, and then make a decision from there (whether he goes to Australia)."

While Aigne won't line-up in the Manawatu ITM Awapuni Hurdles (2900m) this year, O'Dowd's silks will still be represented by Senassy.

"Senassy is quite a capable hurdler as well," O'Dowd said. "She is top weight so it is going to be interesting to see how she goes.

"She ran sixth in it last year, she wasn't quite forward enough in her preparation because I gave her a long spell, she had about six months off."

While hoping for a strong showing from both runners, O'Dowd will be particularly keen on how Aigne performs, with another trip across the Tasman potentially on the line.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 3:13pm
No wonder so many hate jump racing & tho' I'm not one, I was disgusted to see Pateman well clear into the W/bool straight, continue to thump the daylights out of his mount untill 3 strides from the post Angry
In stark contrast, Aaron Lynch in a similar position, rides hard hands & heels, the entire way Clap Clap Clap
Pateman's a serial offender for this & imo, it's entirely unnecessary, not to mention, a bad look.

Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 3:15pm
How about poor Launch Time in R1
Relieved to hear he is relatively okay, but that looked very nasty on the home turn (jumped the outside rail, clearly hurting his leg in the process)
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 1:31pm

Former plumber makes jumps debut

Six years ago, Darren McLeod was a plumber looking for a career change. He knew the form guide well but never imagined that he'd feature in it.

At Murray Bridge on Wednesday, 24-year-old will be legged up for his first rides as a jumps jockey when he teams up with local trainer Grant Young aboard hardy veteran Spying On You and Pentelligentsia.

For McLeod, who had to shed more than a quarter of his body weight to get into riding shape, it's a debut that he feels has been a long time coming, although something that could only be achieved once he applied himself mentally and physically.

"It's been a long time in the making but it's exciting that it's finally happening," McLeod said.

"It's always been the plan, but I just needed to screw my head on and get a bit more committed.

"The big thing was getting the weight down and it was a lot harder than what I thought, which is why it has taken a while.

"At my biggest, I was in the mid-80s (kilograms) so I've had to lose over 20kg - I'm around 67kg at the moment.

"I've changed the diet, I've been hitting the gym a lot and a lot of riding as well."

McLeod's rapid development in the saddle has come courtesy of help from some of the country's premier horsemen, including Nick Ryan, Adrian Corboy and Steven Pateman.

With each new trainer has come new skills, as well as a bolstered love for the thoroughbred and the sport more broadly.

"I first started with Nick Ryan and I learned to ride in the Caulfield bull ring," he said.

"I progressed there for a bit and then went up to work with Adrian Corboy and he really taught me how to sit on and how not be scared, so to speak.

"I jumped my first horse at Steve and Jess' (Pateman) property about two years ago.

"I love it, keep me on a horse all morning and I'm happy."

McLeod primarily based himself out of South Australia while he completed the required trials to attain his licence but recently moved back to Victoria to more closely align with several jumping stables.

"I've just moved back to Victoria because I thought it would be a better place to base myself to get going," he said.

"I'm starting at Ballarat with Symon Wilde and Henry Dwyer and then I'll try to get down and do a bit of riding for Eric Musgrove as well.”

Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 2:01pm
Still a bit rough round the edges, but the horse was just too good for them. ClapClap
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 2:56pm
Super confidence boosting start to his career tho' Clap

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2021 at 11:36am
Let’s try to find some Sunday winners:

• Te Aroha - R1 No 4 : Richard of Yorke
  • Casterton - R2 No 7 : Scriba
  • Casterton - R3 No 4 : Eckhart

Good luck to all!
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2021 at 12:18pm
He has hopeless form but would love to see Mick N Me pick up a race one day. 
Out of Con Kelly's bread and butter country cups horse Old Songs who only has a handful of foals.
Interestingly bred to NH time.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2021 at 3:45pm
Finished ahead again today with 2 wins from 3 bets - thanks to wins by Richard of Yorke & Eckhart.  Scriba badly bungled a jump in the straight, amazing job by the jock to stay aboard & get the horse composed again to run 3rd.

Some interesting notes about some of today’s winners:

Kapuziner who won R1 at 25/1 is a half-bro to Fuimachino who won an AJC Derby & Tancred Stakes.

Historic who won the steeplechase is a 7yo from the last crop of the mighty Zabeel.  There’s only a handful of his progeny still going around these days, so get nostalgic whenever he gets a rare winner.

Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 12:11am
Old Songs...what a tough old bugger he was
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 2:47pm
Let’s go with Home By Midnight to knock of the odds on fave in R3 at the Bool.

Loves the Heavy going & Paddy Payne could have taken him to the Lafferty but chose this easier assignment.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 3:08pm
Gee, that Wil John is lot better hurdler than I thought!  Only his first season so not sure he’d go to a GN Hurdle but a super promising type.  Half bro to VRC St Leger placegetter Wahine Toa.
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 6:23pm
pencil Wil John in for the Jericho now
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 6:44pm
He ran 3rd last year and has won on the flat in a BM70 since so will cop some weight.  Must be a big chance if he fronts just the same MK.

And as LH suggested he might well win a GN Hurdle in the meantime.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 8:03pm

McCarthy stars as Dominator causes 'Bool boilover

Irishman William McCarthy has delivered a front-running masterclass at his first day riding in Australia to cause an upset in the $100,000 Hammonds Paints Thackeray Steeplechase (3450m) aboard the Henry Dwyer-trained The Dominator at Warrnambool on Sunday.

Arriving in Australia less than a month ago, the 38-year-old led from start to finish and in doing so brought to an end the winning run of the $1.30 favourite Flying Agent who finished fourth.

“It’s absolutely amazing, honestly this time twelve months ago I was lying on the flat of my back with a broken neck and I didn’t know if I could ever race or ride a horse again,” McCarthy said.

“Somebody asked me the other morning am I nervous about today, I said no I was nervous last year when I didn’t know if I could do it again.

“These horses I love them with all my heart.

“I’m only a member of second level education but thoroughbred horses have brought me all over the world.

“The jumping game in Australia is just superb and I’m just blessed to be a part of it.”

The ride was just McCarthy’s second on Australian soil, his first ride Catalanic failed to complete the course just some 40-minutes earlier. He would later make it a double when he rode the Michelle Payne-trained Mark the Horse to victory in the first flat race of the afternoon.

Payne said she had seen the Irishman riding trackwork for the Maher and Eustace team at Ballarat and looked natural in the saddle, while McCarthy described it as ‘farfetched imagination’ to be riding for the Melbourne Cup-winning jockey.

McCarthy broke three bones in his neck last June while riding in America, where he was crowned the leading jumps rider in 2014. Sunday’s double Down Under took his total to 192 winners in his career.

He grew up with John Allen in Ireland and also hosted Steve Pateman in America when he stayed in 2017.

“Johnny is a top man, we worked together in Ireland when we were teenagers and I haven’t seen him for quite a years,” he said of their friendship.

“Since I came here to Australia, he’s taken me under his wing and has given me a roof over my head and introduced me to the right people.

“He’s the exact same guy I knew 15 years ago in Ireland only his pockets got a little bit heavier.”

Not only was the story of the Thackeray Steeplechase one of persistence for his rider, but also the intestinal fortitude of his mount, The Dominator.

An emotional Henry Dwyer spoke glowingly in his admiration for the nine-year-old who won his tenth race on Sunday and took his career earnings past $263,394.

“I’ve been training about nine years and he’s been with me for about six years,” Dwyer said of his bond with The Dominator.

“He is a special horse to us he’s spent a lot of time at Ballart and a lot of time down at the farm and he just takes a lot of extra work this horse.

“It’s just great I’ve never been prouder of a horse.”

Originally raced in New Zealand, connections who include Mike Symons purchased The Dominator in 2016 as a jumping prospect but after a nasty fall at Pakenham some twelve months later, it was almost a very different outcome.

“He has just come such a long way, early in his career like he had a couple of falls there and he was really close to being put down a couple of times,” admitted Dwyer.

“He had a couple of nasty falls and to pick himself up and improve his jumping... he’s had a couple of tendons and is just the toughest horse you’ll come across.”

In the other steeplechase event of the afternoon, Social Element proved he has an exciting future at the caper for the Gai Waterhouse and Adrian Bott stable after a comprehensive 30-length win in the $35,000 Mark Primmer Memorial BM120 Steeplechase (3450m).

A last start winner under Tom Ryan at the course and distance, the seven-year-old son of Savabeel is unbeaten in three jumps performances at Warrnambool.

Social Element relished the testing conditions and strode into the race with purpose at the second last steeple after biding his time early.

The Waterhouse-Bott runner was having just his second start back after almost two years on the sidelines.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 2:57pm
Willie McCarthy was finally having it sink in … days later.

After that “How Bloody Good Is The Bool” refrain when he won the Thackeray on The Dominator, and backing it up with a win on Mark The Horse for Melbourne Cup heroine Michelle Payne – on his first day of riding in Australia on Sunday, McCarthy still said it was all “unbelievable”.

I caught up with him over breakfast at Warrnambool and reflected on a remarkable journey from hanging around Sean O’Brien’s yard in Ireland with Johnny Allen, to America, to broken bones, to Victorian racing.

And I also learned that McCarthy holds a bareback jumping record and he’s dedicated to Pilates, something that will become his future trade once he gives up the saddle.

“I was in a state of shock yesterday. This has been like a dream come true, I’m very privileged to be part of it,” said McCarthy of landing in Australia.

There is a treasure trove of stories from McCarthy but it’s been the Pilates that has kept his 38-year-old body in shape despite some serious injuries and it’s what allows him to compete today.

“I had a bad fall back in 2017 (at Parx) in Philadelphia where I broke my back (but you can add three ribs, a punctured lung, left foot, concussion to those two vertebrae in the lower back), and Pilates was part of the recovery and rehabilitation and I have kept it up ever since,” he said.

And he attributes that body health to his recovery from another serious fall last year where he broke three bones in his neck in Virginia.

“I was probably the fittest I have ever been, the body was in great shape when that happened, but after that I made the decision to move to Australia, it’s the best thing I’ve ever done,” he said.

“It was great to reunite with Johnny (Allen) after so long, I’ll never end up on the flat like him, I’m 38 now and about six feet and rode at 65kg yesterday. I reckon I’ve got another two years in me then I’ll look at teaching Pilates.”

“I’ve started taking classes at Ballarat. We use a spring resistance machine, you are working against tension, it’s good for building a strong core, all the things that jockeys need, strengthening your legs and upper body.

“Hospitals are now recommending Pilates for recovery from some surgeries, I can see myself teaching it once I give the game away,” he said.

And that six feet he mentioned is something significant on the McCarthy CV. Have a look at the vision of McCarthy, bareback jumping six feet one inch on a horse called I Bella.

“There was a three-day event in Pennsylvania and the Sunday spectacle was a bareback riding discipline called the Puissance. I was very fortunate to be riding a horse called I Bella for Jennie Brannigan,” he said.

In what is like a human high jump competition, McCarthy and I Bella outlasted the other competitors to win the bareback event.

Any fear?

“It’s something different,” he said at the time. “I wasn’t afraid of jumping the wall or anything, I was worried about messing it up. It’s a big deal and I just didn’t want to look like an idiot.

“Jennie put me up for the ride and if I messed it up it would come back on her. The pressure was on.

“I loved it, the only fear was if I didn’t clear it, but there was no time to think of that.”

McCarthy was asked back to defend his title, but without the same horse available, he retired an undefeated champion.

And the prizemoney for bettering the previous 5 foot 10 inch world record – $2000.

Just for good measure, McCarthy was part of the steeplechase jockey team which shared $1000, winning the mechanical bull challenge at the festival as well.

Which also means that the new “Irishman” is some horseman. He hopes to next show his talents at Pakenham in a fortnight but in the meantime is returning and responding to calls and messages from around the world.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 1:47pm
Spectacular cross country steeplechase for amateur riders from Merano last Sunday. How the hell they remember the route is way beyond me unless they use a GPS monitor LOL

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 1:57pm
Both of Amy McDonalds horses look well placed at Murray Bridge today.  

R1. Once We’re Lost in the steeple
R2. Master Poet in the hurdle

Hope these 2 guys reward he for making the journey across from Ballarat.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 2:21pm

Only 2 horses finish the course in the Steeple, not a good look for the future of jumps racing in SA

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 2:32pm
THAT was a steeple race ? 
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Shawy38 Shawy38 wrote:

Only 2 horses finish the course in the Steeple, not a good look for the future of jumps racing in SA

Searaven was injured, Hopefully not too bad, Historic was pulled up when had enough.

reductio ad absurdum
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 3:03pm
I'm sure I read SA jumps are to be discontinued at the end of this season which is fully understandable given the few SA trained runners over the last few years.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 3:54pm
They've been discontinued at Morphettville.
Oakbank, Murray Bridge (Gifford Hill) and Mt Gambier (if/when they re-open) will continue to host jumps racing in 2021 and beyond.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 1:59pm
Super card of jumps racing at Pakenham today.

A great mix of interesting debutants like Light Pillar & Latin Beat, up & comers like Mawaany Machine, Norway & Bakery Hill, plus established stars like Flying Agent, Big Blue & Ablaze.  

I’m only going to have 2 bets today:

R3 - Scriba (win) bungled the last jump at Casterton but pick led himself up to still run 3rd.  Since ran a tidy race over 2050m at Murtoa to keep his fitness on point.

R5 - Wolfe Tone (place) a tad disappointing at Sandown a few runs ago but fitter for a few more solid flat runs and can improve into a place today.

Good luck to all!

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 7:18pm
Well no collect from my 2 today.  Scriba was never in it & Wolfe Tone just missed by a nostril on jagging 3rd.  But still a great days racing.

1. As much as I appreciate Rick McIntosh enthusiasm for jumps racing, it was so much better having a top class racecaller like Matt Hill calling today.

2. Imported horses were to the fore.  Of the 7 races today 4 were won by Europeans. The others 2 were Kiwi-bred & 1 Aussie bred.

3. Ciaron Maher has an embarrassment of riches in the hurdling ranks with Norway, Mawaany Machine & Saunter Boy.  Not to mention Big Blue, Bit of A Lad & Ablaze in the chasing ranks.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>