Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2020 - 24 Aust & NZ Jumps Season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 4:06pm
I think retirement beckons for Slowpoke
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 4:14pm
I could hardly get over the commentators' outpouring of sympathyfor 'poor' Tommy Sadler & his frustration in missing out on the ride in a $100k race Angry
Not one mention of the owners' cost & disappointment at having come so close but missing out thru' no fault of theirs or their trainer!

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by SkyDancer SkyDancer wrote:

I think retirement beckons for Slowpoke

I’m sure Patrick & Dummy will assess & make the best call.

His 3 flat runs this time in were great, so thought he’d be in for a super prep over the jumps.

He is lightly raced & only a 9yo, so if there is a little niggle he can spell and be back next year.
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 6:07pm
Ventura Storm down to debut at Ballarat improve

Surprised to see Slowpoke Rodriguez going around again... he has had enough. Hopefully the Stewards step in and stop it before he ends up as a statistic 
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 6:08pm
Meant to say Ventura Storm, should improve with racing.
Trials have been okay, looks as though he will benefit from the experience 
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 4:46pm

Ventura Storm could be competing for a Grand National Hurdle for new owners in just six weeks with confirmation the import is to be offered for sale online by William Inglis from this Friday.

Off the back of a European Group 1 win as a younger horse and a Moonee Valley Cup win in 2018, Ventura Storm was sent out a $1.70 favourite at his jumping debut at Ballarat on Tuesday and despite laboring in the Heavy 10 ground, he proved too classy.

The effort prompted his rider Tom Ryan to claim Ventura Storm might be capable of going from his hurdling debut to a Grand National in the space of six weeks.

"There's a bright future for him," the rider said on Wednesday. "To be honest with you, off a light weight, he might be a Grand National Hurdle horse, even this year.

"It's a big ask for a novice but he jumps very well - he jumps like a handicapper - and you generally get better ground at Sandown because he did not like that going on Tuesday at all."

The Inglis online bloodstock sale takes place from June 19 to June 24, with nominations closing at midnight on Wednesday.

The mixed sale features thoroughbred bloodstock of all shapes and sizes with the likes of Group 3-placed two-year-old filly Jemss and the lightly raced gelding Deep Space among the main attractions from the early nominations.

It is likely six-time Melbourne Cup-winning owner Lloyd Williams will also sell a handful of horses at the auction.

Ryan, who is among the state's leading jumps riders, may have been involved with the sale of Ventura Storm if not for the pandemic, as he was part of the workforce at Inglis Digital before being laid off.

The $250,000 Grand National Hurdle (4200m) will be run at Sandown on August 2.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 2:03pm
Two Rivers Steeplechase day at Casterton today.

A couple in the maiden hurdle that i like:

R1 - Tony Two Chips : 8yo by Raise the Flag, who’s even progeny excel over the jumps......plus I like the name :)

R2 - Steam Roller : 4yo by Americain who was working into the race nicely last time before tripping up.  I’ll give him another chance today.

As for the feature race, Shamal looks good despite the 74kg burden & I’m sure he’d have tackled live hedges back in NZ
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 4:04pm
Why is an all jumps meeting given a Saturday timeslot?

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 6:03pm

Why is an all jumps meeting given a Saturday timeslot?

Strange question SD.  Why not?

The early part of the Caulfield card today was very lacklustre, so it was great to have Casterton to bet on.

I had a nice collect on Shamal, couldn’t believe he wasn’t favourite! And great to see a son of Zabeel winning in Aust.

Tony Two Chips put in a tidy debut running 3rd & follow him as there will definately be a maiden hurdle around for him at his next few starts.
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 6:51pm
Little to no coverage between races, on an already very cluttered Saturdays schedule. Thought the jumps would’ve been better programmed on a Sunday as per usual. That’s just my thoughts though.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 7:15pm
You could both be right.  Quite clearly race meetings are allocated to racing clubs long before programming of the subsequent cards. 

It's unlikely clubs like Casterton could, or even would, attempt to influence RVL about a day here or there.  Particularly given they only have just four meetings per year and would be at pains to ensure that number continues into the future.

ps if you're into jumping races, Western District clubs like Warrnambool, Casterton and Hamilton etc should be congratulated for continuing to wave the flag. 
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 9:57pm
The Hotz Jumped the ninth obstacle awkwardly. Made a faulty jump at the last obstacle and fell. The Hotz sustained a serious racing injury and was unable to be saved by veterinary staff after falling. This incident will be referred to the Equine Welfare and Veterinary Department and the Jumps Review Panel
sparticus View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparticus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 11:34pm
after the 2016 season he had  near two year spell, raced 5 times, had another two year spell, came back in April, changed trainer to Musgrove and died in his first start for the trainer, and first jumps race in two years.

Thats just sad.
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 12:26am
I remember him from when he was at Moroneys , would be about 6 years ago now. Was a lovely horse, sad to see him go out like that.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 1:01pm
R2 - Hierarchical : super consistent & deserves to break through 

R4 - Killarney Kid : first hurdle run this year but 2 flat runs were very, very good in open Saturday metro races.

R5 - Flying Agent : by Raise the Flag & loves the mud. Should win comfortably over a mediocre lot.

R6 - Bit of a Lad : goes well over this course & another who loves the heavy conditions
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 4:25pm
Flying Agent is a smart jumper, just like his older brother - Spying on You
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 5:07pm
Three out of 4 ain't bad.  Thumbs Up
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 5:07pm
Geez that chaser Bit of a lad is a tough horse!  Seems to run honestly in all the feature jumps races every year for the past few years.
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 5:28pm
Well placed by Maher/Eustace, doesn’t over race him.
He’s the perfect jumps horse 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 12:58am

Flying Agent is a smart jumper, just like his older brother - Spying on You
He sure is SD.  

Spying on You is by Yamanin Vital & Flying Agent by Raise The Flag.  Both stallions from White Robe Lodge.

Fair to say that that baton of champion jumps sire has been passed from Yamanin Vital to Raise the Flag.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 10:03am
Belated start to the NZ jumps racing season today with 3 hurdle races & a Steeplechase.

The most fascinating runner is the reigning Victorian GN Hurdle/Steeple winner resuming - Tallyho Twinkletoe.

He goes around in a 2400m hurdle at 8.49am Aust time.  Interesting they’ve chosen the 2400m hurdle rather than the 3000m event.   A good performance will see him on the plane to Victoria to defend his titles.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 10:34am
Great race card at Pakenham today. Some really tough races but here goes:

R1 - Wolfe Tone: was promising as a 3yo stayer, makes hurdle debut & stable has been going well recent months

R2 - Tony Two Chips: good on debut & by premier jumps stallion Raise the Flag

R3 - Infinite Reign: not far from Ventura Storm last time & by the mighty Zabeel.  Races in Jim Houlahans old colours.

R4 - Tallyho Twinkletoe: the champ is back, enough said!

R5 - Slowpoke Rodriguez: not confident but he’s on his last Chance with me 

R6 - Flying Agent: up & coming star of the sport, and another by Raise the Flag.

Good luck to all!
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 2:10pm
Nice find in the first, went with the wrong Raise The Flag in Race 2 though Tongue
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 2:12pm
Felix Bay and Tallyho Twinkletoe in the features on top me 

Flying Agent best of the day 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 12:13am
Great days punting - 6 tips, 3 wins, 1 second & 1 third.

I’d been waiting 12 months for Wolfe Tone to go hurdling & he didn’t disappoint on debut, at juicy odds.

Although I wasn’t on him, it was great to see old Tony Rosolini win with Sollevare.  Discarded by OTI, Tony will have some fun with him over the next few years.

Tallyho Twinkletoe is well on track to defend his GN Hurdle & Steeple titles, but the other Kiwi, Bee Tee Junior is certainly a promising new challenger.

Glad I gave Slowpoke Rodriguez one last chance today.  He’s promised to win a feature race over the years, so really happy for the horse that’s he’s finally got the Mosstrooper on his resume.

Flying Agent was disappointing running 2nd today, but still think he’ll be a topliner in the future.

Can’t wait for the GN meetings at Sandown & Ballarat next month.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 2:40pm
Super tipping LB Clap

Ihaka breaks Aussie maiden

JamesTzaferis 19 July, 2020

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

That's what Tony Ihaka was thinking after he notched a breakthrough Australian success on Sunday with a popular victory aboard emerging hurdler Wolfe Tone at Pakenham.

Ihaka, the former New Zealand jumps jockey who returned to race riding in May after more than six years off the scene, said he'd just tucked into a bucket of fried chicken when trainer Francis Finnegan called to book him for Sunday's ride.

He said it was a relief to finally open his Australian account. 

"I've been schooling Wolfe Tone for a few years now and a couple of weeks ago Francis rang me - I was at the KFC drive-through actually getting a couple of buckets of chicken - and he asked how my weight was," Ihaka said.

"I looked at the KFC bucket and said it won't be too bad after this.

"It's my first win over here, thank god, it's good to shake that monkey off my back.

"It meant a lot that one, especially with Wolfe Tone, he did it all out there himself.

"I steered the ship and he sailed the sails." 

Ihaka rode 40 winners in New Zealand between 2003 and 2014 but his career was plagued by a series of injuries and suspensions.

Since moving to Australia, he's ridden trackwork at Cranbourne and, more recently, Pakenham where he is based with champion trainer Peter Moody. 

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 12:39pm
Exciting days jumps racing ahead at Sandown today.  Really looking forward to the Tallyho Twinkletoe versus Ablaze in the GN Hurdle.   Shades of Sir Agrifo vs Sharp As in the same race in 1989.

Let’s go with some tips:

R1 - highly competitive race and any one of 6 or 7 could win this.  I had a great win on Wolfe Tone last time but think THE STATESMAN is the sleeper here. He’s getting fitter, in a great stable & won his only hurdle start back in the UK.

R2 - I’ll stick with the champ TALLYHO TWINKLETOE.  Proven commodity with a big motor under the bonnet.  Whilst 73.5kg seems a big burden, the limit weight is 66kg, compared to 60kg back in Sir Agrifo/Sharp As days

R3 - whilst Slowpoke Rodriguez is one of my favourites, I’ll have to jump onto FELIX BAY.  He was finishing powerfully at Pakenham last time, which had back me next time written all over him.

Good luck to all.....great to see jumps racing on a metro track ??
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 2:45pm
Ablaze is an absolute beast.
Tallyho blew it at the last, but even if he had of made it over I don’t think he would’ve caught him

Sollevare was impressive coming out of a maiden, he is one to follow next season.
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 2:58pm
Bee tee Junior charged home. Got too far back
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 11:59pm
Despite missing the mark on the punting front, 3 great races today.

Race 1 - Wolfe Tone is a really promising hurdler.  Will be interesting to see if hes tested out in the JJ Houlahan Hdl at Ballarat in 3 weeks or put him away for a crack at feature races next year.

Race 2 - Ablaze is a beast, wonderful performance.  Tallyho Twinkletoe was looming large before bungling the last, I think he would have made it interesting if he didnt make that mistake.  And kudos to Gobstopper, been campaigning since the summer & still racing well. 

Race 3 - Nice to see Slowpoke Rodriguez win back to back feature races after several seasons of under achievement.  Patrick Payne really is a superb trainer, revising his training regime after a few lacklustre runs & getting winning results.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>