Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2019-20 Racing Season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 8:36am

Begood Toya Mother Near the 250m shifted out away from Hey Doc and as a result tightened Scales Of Justice out onto Alabama Express which had shifted in slightly. Shortly after, Hey Doc then shifted out despite the efforts of its rider and made contact with Begood Toya Mother who then further tightened Scales Of Justice out onto Alabama Express resulting in Scales Of Justice being hampered. As no rider could be held fully responsible for the incident, Stewards notified all riders to exercise care in similar circumstances. A post‑race veterinary examination revealed the gelding to be lame in the near foreleg. A veterinary certificate is required prior to racing again.

Scales Of Justice Hampered passing the 200m. Rider Dean Yendall reported that his mount was working into the race well, however after suffering interference passing the 200m it lost momentum.

Fifty Stars (IRE) Passing the 100m momentarily had to ease when disappointed for a run before obtaining running to the inside of Fierce Impact (JPN).

Hey Doc Post-race endoscopy detected a degree of mucus that may have affected the horse's racing performance. A veterinary certificate will be required prior to racing again.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 6:51pm
On Twitter

"Performance - Alabama Express: Stable have informed Stewards that a post-race blood test taken from Alabama Express indicated the colt may have a virus"
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 1:34pm
This is the weirdest racing season ever.  But was just thinking if they do have to shut racing down.  Pierro and Redoute's will be the biggest winners as without the big carnival money coming up they should pretty much stay the leaders in the Sires and Broodmare sire's list.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 12:06pm
There are now three stallions over $12,000,000.  Pierro still leading from I am Invincible and Snitzel.  You couldn't come from behind in the races yesterday so Shadow Hero and Pierata had no chance but they will be out and about come the carnival.  On the other hand Snitzel almost got the slipper and had a new G1 winner and has 100 more horses racing for him than Pierro.  While I am Invincible also had a G1 winner Friday night and has even more racing for him than Snitzel.  It will be between these three and to be fair I am Invincible probably deserves a sires premiership.  Snitzel has his and Pierro will win sometime in the future.

The world is overwhelming me at the moment.  Stay safe everyone.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 9:12pm
Is it just me or have we had a large number of retirements lately?

Exceedance
Microphone
Redzel
Kiamich
Yogi
Happy Clapper

And of course tomorrow we see Pierata have his final run tomorrow.

Maybe it is just that we are losing a large number of high profile runners, however for those mentioned, and those who other posters will add, I would just like to say thank you to all those quality gallopers who gave race goers all over the world a great deal of entertainment, wish them all the best for their future      
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 9:15pm
Tom Melbourne
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 9:23pm
Agree Voyager, a a flurry of high profile horses retiring.

Don’t forget Alizee retired last week too.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 9:57pm
Seems to happen every now and then
A change of the guard
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 11:53am
Aren't we lucky that Winx retired last year when we could all give her the send off she deserved!
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 1:46pm
I am wondering if this could be Super Seths last run to day with Waikato Stud having bought in , J. Mac. very interesting engagement , could be for an assessment of furthering his career or go to Stud as spring 4 y/o.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 2:21am
After hearing Waller say that Kinane may run in the South Australian Derby, I am just curious where people think he sits in the ballot order at the moment.

To try and work out where he sits, I have tried to come up with a top 24 (without internationals). This is not in order.

1. Andrew Ramsden winner.
2. Bart Cummings winner.
3. Vow And Declare
4. Quick Thinker
5. Surprise Baby
6. Etah James
7. Mustajeer
8. Young Rascal
9. Finche
10. Il Paradiso
11. Sherwood Forest
12. Verry Elleegant
13. Master Of Wine
14. Shared Ambition
15. The Chosen One
16. Zebrowski
17. Mugatoo
18. Raheen House
19. Two Illicit
20. Collete
21. Warning
22. King Of Leongrance
23. Auckland Cup winner whose name just escapes me.
24. South Australian Derby winner.

If Kinane was to win the derby he would surely secure his spot added to his Frank Packer Plate win.

Of course as mentioned that field is if the internationals do not arrive!

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 2:56am
I just saw I left out what race I am talking about, I am talking about the Melbourne Cup.
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 9:17am
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

I just saw I left out what race I am talking about, I am talking about the Melbourne Cup.

I believe Il Paradiso is injured & wont resume until autumn 2021.

Shared Ambition isn’t qualified for the Melb Cup, as he hasn’t yet won or placed in a black type race > 2300m
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 11:11am
And the Melbourne Cup won't be run until the new Racing Season so abit out of place!
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 2:54am
Okay we have come to the end of another season and it is that time of the year where a young racegoer (or a older version) looks back and forward. We look back and see who the memorable performers were and we try and predict who will shine in the new season.

2019/2020 Season awards.

Best horse to race in Australia : Lys Gracieux

Best performance: Nature Strip in the VRC Sprint

Best international performance: Stradivarius winning the Ascot Gold Cup

Best race: Caulfield Guineas

Best staying performance in Australia: Russian Camelot, S.A.Derby 

Best WFA win: Lys Gracieux  Cox Plate

Best Mile win: Super Seth Caulfield Guineas

Best Sprint win: Nature Strip VRC Sprint

Best ride: Jason Collett Sixties Groove Grafton Cup

Best training performance: This is a tough one as Preusker did well with Surprise Baby, but the prep that Danny O'Brien gave Vow And Declare to win the Cup was the winner. Honorable mentions to the Regal Power crew for their All Star Mile prep, Aiden O'Brien for his prep with Magic Wand to go from the Cup to winning the Mackinnon, and to Wendy Roche for her prep with Nettoyer to win the Doncaster.

Most improved galloper: Tofane. Her autumn culminating in the All Aged win showed the quality I thought she had but all her runs except for the Lightning were very good all season.

Most successful owners: I have to say honorable mentions go to Australian Bloodstock, Te Akau racing and Bob Peters, but for me the Gurners Lane crew had a sensational season. Horses like Masked Crusader, Master of Wine, and Mount Poppa, all won multiple times at stakes level and they have a good back up for the cups in the spring in their import Aktau. If all their talent is on show in the spring they will be everywhere, and they will have as god a season if not better next season.

Okay we had the highlights, now for the lowlights.

Who raced well below expectations: Mystic Journey. I am sorry to put her in here, but she came into the season with a huge reputation and despite being runner up in the Makybe Diva and fifth in a hot Cox Plate, she just did not quite reach the heights expected. Was out for the autumn, so lets hope she comes back at her best!

Most disappointing performance: I have been and still am a huge fan of Catalyst, but his run in the Australian Guineas was a shocker. I have a suspicion that he is a 1200.1400m horse in Australia and I think he would make a good Everest/Golden Eagle type if he can recapture his best!

Most disappointing placement: Sometimes you just know a horse is in the wrong race and it comes true. Dalasan is a hard horse to place with his tractability problems, but he was never a Caulfield Guineas type. I doubt we see him run again at Caulfield and getting him to Flemington on the wide open spaces over 2000m or longer should suit him nicely. 

One season wonder: No I do not mean a full season, I mean a spring or autumn, and this year that galloper is Exceedance. His spring was outstanding winning San Domenico, third in the Golden Rose, and winning the Coolmore Stud, but in the autumn he could not get out of his own way. Very quickly shifted to stud duties where he will undoubtedly be well patroned.

Worst ride: Well it was going to be me talking through my wallet, possibly, but it was going to be Jordan Childs on Surprise Baby in the Melbourne Cup, however Hugh Bowman made a late charge for this award on Saturday with his ride on Smart Image.

Worst training performance: Well this is a very complicated one, but here it is. Paul Preusker gave Surprise Baby a magnificent campaign for last years Cup, but his autumn/winter campaign this year heading into another cup prep is not ideal. If Paul gets the training and fitness regime right he is a genius and I am an idiot with egg on my face, but there it is.

Alright now for the look to next season.

Top 3 year olds

Mamaragan - Peltzer - Hungry Heart

Top Milers

Brandenburg - Mugatoo - Superstorm

Top Sprinters

Gytrash - Tofane - North Pacific

Top WFA horses

Master Of Wine - Verry Elleegant - Castelvecchio

Top Stayers

Surprise Baby - Russian Camelot - Aktau

Hope all investors had a profitable 2019/2020 and wishing the same for a new season Thumbs UpBeer       

VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 2:57am
Sorry guys the Gurners Lane horses won multiple times, without the stakes level was what I meant to say.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 7:11am
Well said but i think castleveccio has gone to stud.  I think the racing industry deserves a big tick for competing through this season. Lots of disturbance is causing problems but they have still given us something to cheer about.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 4:52pm
I have found this 2019-20 season more challenging than most.  My heart wasn't in it for alot of the time and not being able to go to the slipper and the sales has striped away alot of my contact with the animals I love.  But even that love seemed to dim for a while although part of me still watched it didn't always sink in.

But with all the challenges facing people our industry still came out on top with guidelines in place to keep each other safe.  Not always followed (like the general public it's a challenge to always be on top of things) but on the whole I feel people know that it's the best way to keep racing going forward.  If a bit isolated at the moment.

I did have a few favourites for the year.  Not always the best horses but Quick Thinker, Super Seth, Fidelia, Classique Legend, Flit, Regal Power, Vow and Declare, Another Dollar, Handle the Truth, Perfect Jewel, Scales of Justice, Alabama Express, Farnan, Wu Gok, Villami, Gayatri and Greysful Glamour all had me cheering their efforts for one reason or another.

It's not hard to say that the next season will be more enjoyable.  I might have to buy a tail of a horse if I'm ever to get to the races again.  That would be a challenge in itself!
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 2:12pm
Honestly the Melbourne Cup has to go to seven.  They do a much better job than ten did last year with racing every week.  They concentrate on the horses, jockeys and trainers.  Giving background which would be interesting to even the most occasional horseracing watcher.  Ten just is so into the fashion they loose the horses.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234