Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2 hour Marathon Time Destroyed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 hour Marathon Time Destroyed
    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 8:11am
Refer ALP Election Promises
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 9:20am
Never heard of him till now but reading about him I learn he is the greatest marathon runner ever, winning 11 from 12 marathons.
I am more impressed with his official world record of 2.01.49 set in the Berlin Marathon  and his second best time in the London Marathon.
He had 41 pacemakers in his 2 hour attempt, sure it is an amazing feat but meaningless really. Will make him millions though.
Overall marathon times are astonishing, I remember when the top runners used to run around 2.10

Technology helps , better training methods etc

He's had a shoe upgrade

The Vaporfly 4% shoes (engineered to make athletes four per cent faster) worn by Kipchoge at Monza, and developed by Nike for the Breaking2 project, set a new performance benchmark. The carbon fibre plates have proven even more effective at propelling athletes forward than they were in propelling themselves into controversy, but Nike has pressed on and the ZoomX Vaporfly Next%, which Kipchoge will wear in Vienna, are a major evolution. The carbon plate is still there, but a 15g drop in the weight of the upper means 15% more midsole has been added with no overall weight gain. The Vaporweave upper also offers a 75% reduction in moisture retention, according to Nike, reducing incremental weight increase from moisture.

The Next% is so named because Nike claims it boosts running economy by an extra one per cent over the Vaporfly 4%. Kipchoge only needs to run 0.36% faster.

Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 9:32am
Its absolutely extraordinary.
I rate elite Gymnastics and Marathon runners as the best in the world.

Kipchoge, is essentially doing a medium sprint, to get that time.
Its not a fast jog, its actually more like a consistent medium sprint.
Its insanely good.

The next big records to fall over the next 20 years, will be the Mens 100m sprint.
They will break 9 seconds.
It will get down to 8.90.

Scientists have discovered that sprinters bodies are all wrong.
They are too top heavy. Chest, shoulders, biceps, back. Too big, too strong.

They need one powerful part only, their calves. Huge powerful fast twitch calves, with a very lightweight top half of body.

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 10:04am
I understand this was purely an exhibition & not a race - however i think most top flight competition marathons have pacemakers. Not too the extent of this one - but pacemakers nonetheless.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 10:27am
Shoes make all the difference. New DC Skate shoes this week I improved my personal best time getting uptown for my morning coffee by 37sec.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 10:44am
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Shoes make all the difference. New DC Skate shoes this week I improved my personal best time getting uptown for my morning coffee by 37sec.

PT are you sure it was those shoes ? Could it be your intake of fluid at the wedding yesterday and your weak bladder did not give you the runs overnight and this morning ? 
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 11:50am
Google conspiring against your nastiness oneone?LOL

I pulled up fine thanks Bob. A lifetime of clean living has paid off bigly.Thumbs Up
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 1:48pm
Personally I think we have reached the virtual limits of human performace and any significant advance only comes about these days via technological or chemical enhancement. 

If you were to plot graphs for the progression of athletic records you would see inverted bell curves with a rapid progression of the records from the nineteenth century that progressively flattens out over time through the 20th century.   The same applies to horses.  

I don't have time to do more than sketch out some examples - and the easiest to access are the Olympic records.

100m mens :  Tom Burke won in 12 seconds dead in 1896.  Four years later Fred Jarvis took a full second from the record in 1900.  
Eddie Tolan brought the record down to 10.3 in 1932  and it wasn't until 1964 that Robert Hayes ran the 100m in 10.0 flat. 

In 50 years following the record has only been reduced by 0.37 seconds.

Likewise the Marathon.  First run at the modern distance in 1924 in 2-41.22  it took 52 years to carve 30 seconds off the record but in the 50 years since only 3.33 seconds have been taken off the Olympic record.

Same pattern.  Rapid progression of the record initially slowing to incremental in more recent times.

saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 2:27pm
Olympic marathon times are not good when comparing times from one games to another, as some courses are much more difficult than others.

The overall world record has had 10 minutes shaved off it in 50 years and 20 plus minutes since the great Emil Zatopek won Gold in Helsinki. I really don't think breaking two hours will become a regular occurrence for quite some time. This guy had 41 pacemakers, wind breaks, lasers on the road telling him where the record was etc, he had all the favours one wouldn't get in race conditions.

A great acheivement, but it quite rightly doesn't earn world record status.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Tontonan Tontonan wrote:

Personally I think we have reached the virtual limits of human performace and any significant advance only comes about these days via technological or chemical enhancement. 

If you were to plot graphs for the progression of athletic records you would see inverted bell curves with a rapid progression of the records from the nineteenth century that progressively flattens out over time through the 20th century.   The same applies to horses.  

Same pattern.  Rapid progression of the record initially slowing to incremental in more recent times.

According to our resident expert on all aspects of human activity the 100 metre record will be under 9 seconds in 20 years Wacko  And  current sprinters are over muscly, bulky ,unsuited to sprinting. I never actually thought of Bolt as having bulging muscles and the average sprinter is 75 -80 kg, , not exactly massive
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

I understand this was purely an exhibition & not a race - however i think most top flight competition marathons have pacemakers. Not too the extent of this one - but pacemakers nonetheless.

Pacemakers are allowed. Nothing wrong with them for record setting purposes. Almost every middle distance race st the top level outside the big championships have them.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 4:57pm
Pacemakers are allowed,for instance Berlin Marathon competitors can have 3, not quite 41 though Smile

No problems with the assistance he got in the staged event, the time is a breakthrough but pretty meaningless to me

Super fast obviously , averaged 68 seconds per 400 metres, I wonder how many of out sedentary TBV members could run 1 lap in 68 seconds
Was over 1 minute per mile faster than me in my best marathon Cry
Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 5:55am
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

Pacemakers are allowed,for instance Berlin Marathon competitors can have 3, not quite 41 though Smile

No problems with the assistance he got in the staged event, the time is a breakthrough but pretty meaningless to me

Super fast obviously , averaged 68 seconds per 400 metres, I wonder how many of out sedentary TBV members could run 1 lap in 68 seconds
Was over 1 minute per mile faster than me in my best marathon Cry

Exactly Whale, good point. The math of how consistently fast that is, simply mind boggling.
Cathy Freeman was running her 400m, in around 50 seconds.
To run 42km,  is 105  laps of 400m, at just 18 seconds slower than around world record times for 400m,
Do that 105 times, in a row.
Staggering.
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 9:48am
 All due credit for breaking the 2 hours for the Marathon but it could be considered a "time trial "as it was not achieved in an actual race. I recall many moons ago, when I think, it was Maori's Idol, the champion trotter, was assisted by galloping partners to break 2 minutes for a mile for a trotter. At the time that was recognized as the fastest by a trotter in Australia but as it was not under race conditions, it put a bit of a cloud of its recognition. 
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 3:43pm
Been plenty of muscle bound sprinters. Off the top of my head - Asafa Powell, Ben Johnson, Linford Christie, Maurice Green to name a few. 
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 3:45pm
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 3:47pm
Probably why i was so fast. Too well built to run marathons  LOL
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 4:04pm
Scottish runner Allen Wells was a beast (steroids probably helped)
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 5:44pm
Bought a pair of those runners, they are amazing.
Smashed my half marathon PB on the weekend  : 64 m 34 s  Smile
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 7:08pm
Summer games on Atari doesn't count
EAD
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 9:56pm

I'd be asking for your money back. Hardly quick !
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 9:59pm
Would be if you were a turtle i suppose !
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 10:23pm
Go Whale !!Thumbs Up  You can out run me Clap
animals before people.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

I'd be asking for your money back. Hardly quick !

Is that the best you can do, your responses are slipping, not that they were ever particularly bright Embarrassed
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 6:38am
Originally posted by TIGER TIGER wrote:

Summer games on Atari doesn't count

LOL

you got me Ouch
 Post Reply Post Reply