Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Written Tycoon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pnclick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

The eye catcher today at Day 2 of the INGLIS Classic sale was this Written Tycoon x Sunday Shoes colt ! $110k sold to Lindsay Park racing !

A little update on this one...

He is in this months (April 2019) Inglis Online Sale. He was named Arabisc. 

Has had chronic knee and fetlock issues. Only had 4 starts for 1 win and $14k in prizemoney.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 2:35pm
Pimped out to Arrowfield for the 2020 season.

Will stand for $77k.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 2:47pm
Was never good value at an extraordinary $110k.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 3:32pm
168, 162 & 136 covers since breaking through the $50k ceiling in Victoria. The first of those crops went through the ring this year & still doubled the fee.

I can understand that this year, of all years, is likely to be one that shakes things up a bit. But I find it strange that the shareholders would opt to be a support act in the Hunter, rather than the star of the show in Victoria.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 3:47pm
However about 80-odd didn't make it into the sales this year, for whatever reason.  Wouldn't fancy owning a handful of that lot.

Couldn't agree more with the support act comment.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 3:57pm
Were full freight paid (though that's often not the case for any number of reasons) 12 of the 18 at this year's Premier were sold for a loss, with another 3 struggling to break square.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 10:44pm
  Going OK isnt he ???   Wink
animals before people.
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 11:36am
What happened to Iglesia?
Is written tycoon the ONLY one?
Is the family line available else where?
Kenmare, what an under rated sire line.....
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 11:39am
what with William Pike no good as a jockey Wink
and written tycoon useless
some on here deserve all whatever comes their way.....LOL

Irrelevant comment Stern Smile

Edited by Gay3 - 11 Oct 2020 at 7:55pm
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 11:44am

Amazing Day for Written Tycoon - Three Stakes Winners Including

Mark Smith - Saturday October 10

Forty minutes after Arrowfield Stud’s new recruit Written Tycoon celebrated the win of Odeum in the $1,000,000 Schweppes Thousand Guineas (1600m), Written Tycoon’s  Ole Kirk proved unstoppable in the $2,000,000 Group 1 Neds Caulfield Guineas (1600m).

No stopping Ole Kirk (George Salpigtidis/Racing Photos)

No stopping Ole Kirk (George Salpigtidis/Racing Photos)

It was the third stakes win on the day for the former Woodside Park stallion after Dirty Work captured the Group II McCafe Schillaci Stakes (1100m) and the fourth for Willie Pike after Windstorm, Dirty Work and Arcadia Queen.

Given a ground-saving ride by Pike,  Ole Kirk needed to go back inside a weakening Tagaloa before he was switched out to find clear air on the turn.

The team Hawkes-trained colt knuckled down to his task in the straight to run down Shadwell Stud’s Deep Field colt Aysar by a long-neck with Jameka’s brother Grandslam two lengths back in third.

“When I got on Tagaloa’s back I was pretty happy with myself, but he was gone before acceptances, so plans b - c  and d all came out at once,” Pike said.

“It took me a moment to gather my moment, but once I did, he was strong through the line strong once again.

“It was my first ever sit on him and I’m so grateful for the support.

“We had to zig and zag a little bit, but I’m happy we got the job done.”

Take a bow Ole Kirk (Scott Barbour/Racing Photos)

Take a bow Ole Kirk (Scott Barbour/Racing Photos)

Wayne Hawkes admitted he was feeling the pressure.

“I never get nervous, but I did today,” he said.

“He’s the best three-year-old in the country now so it’s as simple as that. If they want to retire him, I’m happy with that.

“he was as tough a two-year-old that I’ve had in my hands and I’ve been lucky enough to have some good ones.

“He can go to the paddock and have a well-earned break now.

“Hats off to Willie he was like D. Oliver, he was cool he was calm he was relaxed, he was on the best horse and he got the job done.

“The boy’s at Gilgai will be going nuts. We make stallions and he was second top price at the Melbourne yearling sale.

“When his uncle’s All Too Hard and his aunty’s Black Caviar, I know what it’s like to be the son of - because I was a top price yearling but I couldn’t gallop at least Ole Kirk can.”

Ole Kirk was a $675,000 Inglis Premier Yearling

Ole Kirk was a $675,000 Inglis Premier Yearling

It was the second Group 1 for Ole Kirk having defeated his stablemate North Pacific the Golden Rose at Rosehill a fortnight back.

The winner of the Listed VRC Talindert Stakes on debut, Ole Kirk advances his record to 3 wins, 2 seconds and 2 thirds from 8 starts with earnings of $2,051,100.

In between he has placed in the Group 1 ATC Champagne Stakes, Group II VRC Sires’ Produce Stakes was fourth in the Group 1 ATC Sires’ Produce Stakes and was a fast-finishing third in the Listed Run to The Rose. 

Ole Kirk was a $675,000 purchase by International Thoroughbred Solutions from the Gilgai Farm draft at the 2019 Inglis Melbourne Premier Yearling Sale runs for a syndicate headed by Neil Werrett, in whose colours he runs, with his breeder Rick Jamieson of Gilgai Farm also retaining a share.

The son of Written Tycoon was the second-highest priced lot of the sale behind only his stablemate, the $800,000 Brazen Beau colt North Pacific.

Ole Kirk is the first foal of the unraced Bel Esprit mare Naturale who is a sister to the undefeated world champion Black Caviar and a half-sister to Vinery Stud’s 4-time Group 1 winner All Too Hard.

Naturale has a 2yo Not A Single Doubt filly named Gimmie Par but has missed in her last two seasons.

This was the second week in a fortnight that Written Tycoon has had a Group 1 double after Pippie captured the Group 1 Moir Stakes at Moonie Valley before Ole Kirk’s heroics in the Golden Rose.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 11:59am
Beautiful animal

Who wouldnt want a written tycoon
Hopefully this bloke will continue the lineage.
Campaspe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Campaspe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 6:23pm
Isaac, I believe that both Holler and Microphone are from the same female family as Written Tycoon.  Holler's oldest are 2yos, Microphone first season at stud this year.  As for Iglesia, he died at the end of his sixth season.  WT is his only sire son, the Studbook records around two dozen currently active broodmare daughters. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by Isaac soloman Isaac soloman wrote:

what with William Pike no good as a jockey. And written tycoon useless
some on here deserve all whatever comes their way....their side of politics not much chop either (with brokecell and marble as representatives) 

Totally out-of-order post imo.

1. Suspect only one person on TBV has bagged Pike as a jockey and he later gave the man credit.  Many more gave Willy the thumbs up, including a couple of ex jockeys.
2. Don't believe anyone whatsoever on here has described Written Tycoon as useless as a sire.
3. And introducing some inexplicable political taint to this thread is clearly irrelevant and unacceptable.

Edited by Gay3 - 11 Oct 2020 at 7:56pm
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 8:30pm
Should have mentioned that Campaspe was spot on the money in her post.  Thumbs Up
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 1:50am
You put the halo back on second chance.
no flies on youLOL
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 8:48pm
To Yulong according to Kristen Manning.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 8:51pm
Wow, find that quite extraordinary Gay.

Others will hopefully provide some more inside info.

Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 8:56pm
Back to Victoria for Written Tycoon. 

Headlines the Yulong roster. If they announced a price, I missed it.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 9:01pm

Pin-up stallion Written Tycoon will return to Victoria this season, with Yulong Stud announcing on Monday that it had come to an agreement to stand the rising 19-year-old.

The sire of 625 winners to date including Group 1 stars Capitalist, Pippie and Ole Kirk, Written Tycoon stood the 2020 season at Arrowfield Stud in the Hunter Valley, having made a name for himself on the stallion roster at Victoria’s Woodside Park Stud between 2013 and 2019.

Written Tycoon’s progeny have excelled this season and he is Australia’s leading sire of stakes winners and is ranked second by overall earnings, winners and wins.

In a statement, Yulong’s Chief Operating Officer Sam Fairgray said his fledgling farm was excited to author the next chapter in Written Tycoon’s incredible story.

“Written Tycoon is one of Australia’s best stallions, it is an absolute privilege to welcome him back to Victoria, and have him join our roster at Yulong Stud,” Fairgray said.

“We are greatly appreciative to Sheriff Iskander (major owner) for entrusting us with Written Tycoon in the twilight of a truly extraordinary career, where the best is yet to come.

“Yulong is a young farm with major ambitions which have been backed up by major investment in infrastructure and bloodstock.

“It’s a great outcome for Victorian breeders have Written Tycoon back in the state and further indicates Mr Zhang’s commitment to the Australian industry.

“Acquiring an elite proven stallion like Written Tycoon will give our quality young broodmare band every opportunity for success.”

Written Tycoon joins a Yulong stallion roster that includes new additions Yulong Prince and Tagaloa, as well as Alabama Express and Grunt.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 9:03pm
So has Woodside Park fallen over, or...

Wouldn't accept payment to visit Yulong.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 9:30pm
I'm sure I read &/or heard that Rowsthorn sold his share Confused
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 11:51am
The Age are reporting that his fee will be near enough DOUBLE last year.

If true, that’d probably be enough surety for the owners to go with the new home. I mean, you don’t just slap a (assumed) $100-150k price on something, without some guarantees.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 11:03pm
Today's cross of interest - Written Tycoon (Better Boy is his third dam sire) with another Better Boy strain: 70 winners from 90 runners (77.8%) including ten stakes winners (11.1%), two of whom - Booker and Tycoon Tara - are Group One winners

Edited by Gay3 - 07 Jun 2021 at 11:03pm
lulu View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 6:31pm
Gee folks this news was out there for a long time before it was announced. Yulong paid a kings ransom for him, not that that would even matter to them. They would not care if outsiders booked to him or not. 
They will though.

All things being equal, Mr Zhang will breed himself hundreds of WT's with some of the best mares in the country. Something he couldnt do if the horse stood elsewhere.

It is actually a sound business approach and should net them many fine future racehorse/stallion prospects.

All from a horse that has made so so many people very happy and a lot wealthier. He is the only horse I know of that has come from such humble beginnings, been shunted all over the country and has continually rewarded his many owners and connections at every turn.

Now he is fast becoming a sire of sires.  A very clever purchase IMHO especially for one with UNLIMITED resources.
You're either Einstein or Frankenstein in this game.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 6:40pm
Agree with a lot you say Lulu.  Plus he has strong virility.  Only possible query is that he is rising 19.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 11:14pm
Yep, agree with Lulu.  Dont think his age will matter much for another year or 2.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 6:36pm
It's interesting to go back to the start of this thread and see how past member Soothsayer promoted this stallion, and to note how many on here identified him as a real chance to succeed at stud despite somewhat humble beginnings.  Star
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 10:26am
It looks like he's going to be the top Stallion for Prizemoney for the season so where ever he stands is going to be happy.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 10:27am
Also I know I am Invincible has made the 200 for the year but it will be interesting to see if WT improves on his 186 and goes close to that figure also.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 11:43pm
This is a well written piece detailing his life story to date:
https://www.racingandsports.com/news/bloodstock/australia/2021-08-02/a-rags-to-riches-story/555888

A Rags To Riches Story

In part, some lovely mare acquisitions for him:

The lengths to which his current connections has stretched to ensure a star-studded 2021 book was well on show at the recent breeding stock sales. At the Magic Millions Gold Coast National Broodmare Sale, for instance, the Written Tycoon Syndicate outlaid $16.46 million on 39 mares, including $2.6 million on 14-time Group One winner Melody Belle and $1.5 million on Group Two winner Greysful Glamour.

Dual Group One winner In Her Time and Extremely, the dam of Extreme Choice, are also among his book.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>