Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Who Shot Thebarman

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 4:34pm
Wow!!! He’s back, powering home and bang on target for another crack at the Sydney Cup
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 4:36pm
Yeah was a good win, can’t see him winning the Cup though. Will run an honest race as usual
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes
jacko1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 4:46pm
Very good run, thought the ride wasn't great, could have got him going earlier and may have made the finish interesting.
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 4:47pm
Good run that should say above. But you get my point
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes
Smoke and Mirrors View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 5:52pm
What a horse
"Go Hard or Go Home”
tillyras View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillyras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 5:55pm
I absolutely love this horse.
Always have ten bucks on him.
He’s amazing. Goes out on a high?
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 5:57pm
Win of the day.
He’s a bloody marvel.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 5:58pm
Bloody hell this day has brought back my passion for racing. Awesome stuff. (Terrible by the jockeys there but at least a legend won.)
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 6:01pm
I can't believe I was actually cheering for him in the run down the straight. I have never been able to catch him but glad the connections finally got a Sydney Cup today.
I started with nothing and still have most of it left
deejays destiny View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deejays destiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 6:03pm
Love the old greybeard pensioner
See you in November at Flemington.   Again
Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 6:06pm
Iron horse
Nick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 7:39pm
Love him!!
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 8:20pm
He’s been my favourite horse for a few years now, so I was screaming myself hoarse in the grandstand at Randwick today. Other patrons on track were equally thrilled to see him salute, even those who didn’t back him still had a buzz post race.

The reason I love him so much is that he’s a “throwback” to the era of racing that I grew up with in the late 80’s & early 90’s. A time when tough old geldings would be there every autumn and every spring competing at high level staying races. The likes of Castletown, Foxseal, Rising Fear, Sydeston & of course Lord Hybrow.

Well done WSTB!!

A four year gap between G1 wins would be a rarity? Perhaps a record? If any racing history buffs want to look in the record books.
brave_ponies View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote brave_ponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 9:10pm
Highlight of my day. (No offence to The Queen intended.)

I didn't back him but cheered him to the line as if I had.

Well done Barman!
Racing Carrot View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Racing Carrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by Lord Hybrow Lord Hybrow wrote:

The reason I love him so much is that he’s a “throwback” to the era of racing that I grew up with in the late 80’s & early 90’s. A time when tough old geldings would be there every autumn and every spring competing at high level staying races. The likes of Castletown, Foxseal, Rising Fear, Sydeston & of course Lord Hybrow.

Well done WSTB!!

A four year gap between G1 wins would be a rarity? Perhaps a record? If any racing history buffs want to look in the record books.

Had he been in an earlier era he'd have been a Melbourne Cup winner.  He was 3rd to two overseas bred/trained runners in 2014 and 5th behind two imported locals and two overseas trained runners in 2016.

I still remember him bolting in by 6 lengths on debut at Trentham in 2013.  Given he was a late 4yo Yaminin Vital trained by Mark Oulaghan, I was expecting maybe a decent early career as a winter stayer before his jumping which seemed the logical destination.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by Racing Carrot Racing Carrot wrote:

Well done WSTB!!

Had he been in an earlier era he'd have been a Melbourne Cup winner.  He was 3rd to two overseas bred/trained runners in 2014 and 5th behind two imported locals and two overseas trained runners in 2016.

I still remember him bolting in by 6 lengths on debut at Trentham in 2013.  Given he was a late 4yo Yaminin Vital trained by Mark Oulaghan, I was expecting maybe a decent early career as a winter stayer before his jumping which seemed the logical destination.

What Melbourne Cup winners do you think WSTB would of beaten? Brew?
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racing Carrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Jamal Jamal wrote:

Well Brew just happened to strike a fairly weak year of Euros.  I was more meaning WSTB would have had a better record in the 70s or even 80s before the Euro numbers really went nuts.  no doubt the overall strength of the race has gone up a few levels, especially over the past decade.

Even the two horses to have nosed him out in the 05 and 07 Sydney Cups were an import and an overseas raider.  Our better stayers of the 70s and earlier didn't have to compete with that.  There were a few more imports mainly for the Melbourne Cup in the 80s and then obviously it's snowballed since the Vintage Crop era.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 8:17pm
Why do we need to compare modern day horses to past era champs to see if they would beat each other?
I don’t understand why anyone would even think of that.
Champs are champs... no need to say Brew and Barman would not beat each other.
They are from other eras
"Go Hard or Go Home”
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by Smoke and Mirrors Smoke and Mirrors wrote:

Why do we need to compare modern day horses to past era champs to see if they would beat each other?
They are from other eras

Its worth talking about - it makes for interesting conversation.
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 9:04pm

They are from other eras

I disagree. I don’t understand the logic about current horses racing horses well and truly retired. It’s dumb
"Go Hard or Go Home”
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 10:47pm

They are from other eras

I disagree. I don’t understand the logic about current horses racing horses well and truly retired. It’s dumb

Well plenty of people on this forum say that Winx would beat chanpions from the past.

It makes for good discussion
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racing Carrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 11:33pm

They are from other eras

Yeah I'm not comparing him to anything from another era, more just pointing out he's been unlucky to strike a much stronger era than many stayers of decades past.  Obviously he's not going to go down as a Melbourne Cup winner who managed another placing and won two Sydney Cups, a BMW etc, but it's the kind of haul he could have had without the huge influx of imports over the past few years.

Even the Wellington Cup being a 2400m Group 2 in 2013 when he could have run, or the Brisbane Cup now being 2400m makes you think how hard it is for any local stayer to get the kind of record of old time stayers who just raced against local horses with plenty of feature 3200m races to go for.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 11:41pm

Well done WSTB!!

Rogan Josh
diggo View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 12:17am
Is WSTB going to lineup in the Melbourne Cup again this year? Never runs a bad 3200m. Going as well as ever. Was given a light weight last year due to his age. Hopefully he will receive an even lighter weight as a 10 year old, unless he cops a harsh penalty for the Sydney Cup win?
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 12:52am

He’s been my favourite horse for a few years now, so I was screaming myself hoarse in the grandstand at Randwick today. Other patrons on track were equally thrilled to see him salute, even those who didn’t back him still had a buzz post race.

Well done WSTB!!

Well done LH - I was on the Japanese horse (what happened there?), so I was cheering the old warrior home too!

I appreciate the reflection, and I loved that era of racing.

RC makes a great point about the pre Northern Hemisphere invasion ... we only had to beat the Kiwi Raiders then!LOL 

Castletown and Sydeston were two of my favourites.Thumbs Up

... and when in doubt, you knew that anything by Zamazaan would stay all day!Wink

This would have made the greatest horse racing story of all time if it weren't for Bart! ... pretty handy field too ... enjoy!Big smile

In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 1:09am
WSTB is today's "Peoples' Horse" ... but I wonder if Waller would lead him around as a pony ride for kids on Cup morning ... amazing! 

"... he didn't disgrace himself though that Reckless did he?" Tommy Woodcock.Hug

In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
horseshoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horseshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 1:10pm
Less than 24 hours after watching his pride and joy, Who Shot Thebarman, seal his first Sydney victory in thrilling fashion in the Gr.1 Sydney Cup (3200m), part-owner Dan O’Leary admits he is still walking on air.
O’Leary described the scenes in the aftermath of the win as quite surreal as he fielded the congratulations of hundreds of well-wishers in the Royal Randwick mounting yard.

Despite the gelding’s advancing age O’Leary believes he may return to Melbourne in the spring for another shot at the world-famous Melbourne Cup.
“He likes it in Melbourne and he just gets better with age so there’s no reason to think we couldn’t go back for another shot at the Cup,” he said.
“We know Chris will look after him and he will tell us whether it is an option or not.

NZ racing desk
Those who know don't tell, Those who tell don't know
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 5:09pm

I've looked and there is nothing since the introduction of the pattern in 1979 that has had such an extended period between Group 1 wins.  

The closest I can find is Bomber Bill.  He won the Karrakatta Plate when it was a Group 1 race in April of 1998 and the Goodwood in May of 2003 but he also squeezed in the Australia Stakes (William Reid) in January of 2001.  

I'll keep looking but I doubt I will be finding.
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 5:29pm
Very tidy effort for 4th in the MV Cup today. Hopefully onto his 4th Melb Cup start (would have been his 5th if not scratched in 2017).

Who was the last 10yo to run in the Melb Cup? Maybe the old Kiwi gelding Magistrate in 1982?

Heavy10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 5:34pm

Very tidy effort for 4th in the MV Cup today. Hopefully onto his 4th Melb Cup start (would have been his 5th if not scratched in 2017).

Who was the last 10yo to run in the Melb Cup? Maybe the old Kiwi gelding Magistrate in 1982?

How many did Skybeau run in? He must've been getting on towards last one
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>