Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Who Shot Thebarman

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 10:27am
If he requires treatment for the mucus and pus will he miss work and be ready for 2 miles in 2 weeks?
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Browndog Browndog wrote:

If he requires treatment for the mucus and pus will he miss work and be ready for 2 miles in 2 weeks?
He could be treated without missing work.  As long as the medication is clear of the system by the time he races.
shadow role View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow role Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 6:39pm
Flemington would suit him better..have a go ..it might be a once in a lifetime chance.
'you are...what you think ..you are'
Group 1 Selections View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Group 1 Selections Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 7:02pm
Yep have a go but he looks like the old 80's type handicapper that lacks class can whack away and run top ten but won't threaten the place getters.
shadow role View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow role Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 7:18pm
$100,000 for top 10.
'you are...what you think ..you are'
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 9:00pm
The only horse to do the Auckland Cup / Melbourne Cup was Jezabeel in 1998. Jezabeel carried 49kg in the 1998 Auckland Cup and then 51kg in the 1998 Auckland Cup.

Is Who Shot Thebarman as good as Jezabeel (in terms of Auckland Cup winners running in the Melbourne Cup)?

Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 9:03pm
Jezabeel

Sire: Zabeel (Sir Tristram - Lady Giselle)

Dam: Passefleur (Vice Regal - Easter Parade)

Born: 2nd Novemberr 1992

First Race: 15th April 1995

Last Race: 3rd November 1998

Overall Career Record: 26 Starts: 7-3-2 (including 14 first five finishes)

Group / Listed Record: 8 Starts: 3-2-0

Career Win Strike Rate: 26.92% (win every 3.71 races)

Career Place Strike Rate: 19.23% (place every 5.2 races)

Career Win/Place Strike Rate: 46.15% (win/place every 2.16 races )

Overall Career Winning Range: 1200m - 3200m

Group / Listed Winning Range: 1600m - 3200m

Performances in Group/Listed Races (8 Starts - in year order):

1st - 1998 Group 1 Melbourne Cup (3200m hcp)

6th - 1998 Group 1 Caulfield Cup (2400m hcp)

6th - 1998 Group 1 Yalumba Stakes (2000m WFA)

6th - 1998 Group 2 Turnbull Stakes (2000m SWP)

2nd - 1998 Group 1 Underwood Stakes (1800m WFA)

1st - 1998 Group 1 Auckland Cup (3200m hcp)

2nd - 1997 Group 3 Manamatta Cup (2200m hcp)

6th - 1998 Group 2 Breeders Stakes (1600m hcp)

1st - 1998 Listed Champagne Stakes (1600m hcp)

Distances Won:

1200m (1)
1400m (1)
1600m (2)
2000m (1)
3200m (2)

Prizemoney: $2,024,396

Average Prizemoney Won Per Race: $77,861

Career Weight-For-Age Record In Year Order (2 Starts):

6th - 1998 Group 1 Yalumba Stakes (2000m)

2nd - 1998 Group 1 Underwood Stakes (1800m)

MAJOR WINS

1998 Group 1 Melbourne Cup (3200m hcp at Flemington)

1998 Group 1 Auckland Cup (3200m hcp at Ellerslie)

1995 Listed Champagne Stakes (1600m hcp at Ellerslie)

BEST MINOR PERFORMANCES:

2nd - 1998 Group 1 Underwood Stakes (1800m WFA at Caulfield)

2nd - 1997 Group 2 Manamatta Cup (2300m hcp at Awapuna)
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Jamal Jamal wrote:

The only horse to do the Auckland Cup / Melbourne Cup was Jezabeel in 1998. Jezabeel carried 49kg in the 1998 Auckland Cup and then 51kg in the 1998 Auckland Cup.

Is Who Shot Thebarman as good as Jezabeel (in terms of Auckland Cup winners running in the Melbourne Cup)?

Yes.

It may not be good enough to win this years Cup.

reductio ad absurdum
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 9:11pm
I guess the question is - would Jezabeel be good enough to be competitive in this year's Melbourne Cup (providing she carried her winning weight of 51kg)?
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 9:12pm
She'd be competitive but I doubt she'd win.
reductio ad absurdum
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

She'd be competitive but I doubt she'd win.

She'd tough it out that's for sure. A good stayer she was. I liked her. Backed her in the Caulfield Cup and then backed her in the Melbourne Cup.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 12:36am
I think this guy's class (or lack of) was exposed when we saw the run of Celtic Prince in the listed race in Sydney - honest 4th.

CP was a length behind WSTB in the Auckland Cup, and that is about where he sits right now ... well in the mix in Listed and lesser group races.

Honest plodder, and don't worry, I would love to own a few strands of his tail, but out of his depth in these races.

Might be time to pull up stumps ... it would not surprise to see him improve with more time in the Waller yard ...

I backed Brew too! ... in the wrong Melbourne CupDead
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 12:48am
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

I think this guy's class (or lack of) was exposed when we saw the run of Celtic Prince in the listed race in Sydney - honest 4th.

CP was a length behind WSTB in the Auckland Cup, and that is about where he sits right now ... well in the mix in Listed and lesser group races.

Honest plodder, and don't worry, I would love to own a few strands of his tail, but out of his depth in these races.

Might be time to pull up stumps ... it would not surprise to see him improve with more time in the Waller yard ...

Why did you back Brew (in the 1999 Cup)? From memory had no form at all leading into that Cup. Finished 10th carrying 49kg
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 1:44am
Originally posted by Gee Gee Gee Gee wrote:

Lexus, Queens Cup and Sandown Cups horse.

Leebaz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leebaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 7:00am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Yes.

It may not be good enough to win this years Cup.

Yet cup weights raised 2kgs due to weak field.

Jezabeel was better than the drunk barman
Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 7:23am
yep. Jezabeel copped a few big hits in the CC. Backed up and won the cup.

The intoxicated waiter isnt as tough. If he stepped on a pebble, connections would scratch.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 1:40am

Why did you back Brew (in the 1999 Cup)? From memory had no form at all leading into that Cup. Finished 10th carrying 49kg

Jamal, it's always been a weakness of mine, to follow the kiwi 3 yo's when they come over here ... and it's been pretty rewarding over many years - Dundeal, Sacred Falls, Ocean Park, to name a few!*

He was a no brainer, being the best bred horse to come here EVER, but, he wasn't much good! 

I backed him in all the 3 yo races he contested in Sydney, and I think from memory his best performance was 4th, but his worst was 6th (can't find his full record now) ... so not "A" Grade, but not hopeless.

Not even sure how he qualified for the '99 MCup (was he placed in a NZ Derby or something?), but once in, I had to have something on him at any old price, but he wasn't up to it at that time.  

I was on Yippyio in 2000 - Brew was too short for me!

Funny ... best bred horse to ever win ... one of the weakest cups of modern history!

PS: * Can't wait for Vespa to run again ... got a feeling that the tradition will continue!
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 4:23pm
In for a massive autumn. I had him at $16 the place and thought he might get there at the top of the straight.

He's has improved lengths and lengths and lengths.
Sunline...simply supreme
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 5:06pm

Jamal, it's always been a weakness of mine, to follow the kiwi 3 yo's when they come over here ... and it's been pretty rewarding over many years - Dundeal, Sacred Falls, Ocean Park, to name a few!*

He was a no brainer, being the best bred horse to come here EVER, but, he wasn't much good! 

I backed him in all the 3 yo races he contested in Sydney, and I think from memory his best performance was 4th, but his worst was 6th (can't find his full record now) ... so not "A" Grade, but not hopeless.

Not even sure how he qualified for the '99 MCup (was he placed in a NZ Derby or something?), but once in, I had to have something on him at any old price, but he wasn't up to it at that time.  

I was on Yippyio in 2000 - Brew was too short for me!

Funny ... best bred horse to ever win ... one of the weakest cups of modern history!

PS: * Can't wait for Vespa to run again ... got a feeling that the tradition will continue!

Not sure how Brew made the 1999 Cup field. He hadn't won any black type (Group/Listed) races at all. He won three of them in 2000 though
Geraldo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 5:14pm
Wiki says he won the Dalgety on Derby Day.

I haven't come across that racename before.
TBV - where it is the Silly Season all year round.
Geraldo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 5:15pm
oh, the Lexus.
Geraldo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 5:17pm
Stopped being called that in 1993 though, and in 1999 was the Saab Quality.
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by Geraldo Geraldo wrote:

Wiki says he won the Dalgety on Derby Day.

I haven't come across that racename before.

Also has been Hotham, now known as Lexus and gives entry to the cup.
Geraldo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 5:21pm
Congratulations on your son. LOL
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 5:23pm
Big smile
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 11:18am
I reckon perhaps Who Shot Thebarman is better the Brew? Or is that assumption wrong?
James Bond Esq View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Bond Esq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 1:24pm
We will fin out if it wins the Sydney Cup.
Bonfield View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 9:20pm
I don't know what to make of his win in the Zipping Classic. Quite extraordinary. Either every other horse in the race performed poorly or he's the best stayer in Australia by a mile.
Go Flash Go View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by Bonfield Bonfield wrote:

I don't know what to make of his win in the Zipping Classic. Quite extraordinary. Either every other horse in the race performed poorly or he's the best stayer in Australia by a mile.

Ain't that the truth went like he could have won the Cox Plate - this year.
James Bond Esq View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Bond Esq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 9:49pm
Remember he did finish third in the Melbourne Cup last year...

so he is the best stayer in Australia.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>