Join up at Crownbet - Click here - Crownbet is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

whats the most unsuccesful horse of all time?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chef_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: whats the most unsuccesful horse of all time?
    Posted: 20 Jun 2007 at 11:29pm
roy & HG were talking about a 10y g with 90 : 2-0-3 or something

i cant find anything useful on google
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Crownbet.

dan moor = gun View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan moor = gun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2007 at 11:33pm
at least its won two
Like a Melbourne tram going down flinders lane!
Wortel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wortel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2007 at 11:34pm
Yep, there are horses that don't win. Unless you base that on oppotunity?
chef_d View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chef_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2007 at 11:40pm
well id consider a horse winning 1 out of 100 not necessarily as good as one who placed twice in only 15 races

Xolento View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xolento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2007 at 11:45pm
wasn't there a horse in japan that had a huge cult following because it was so crap ?
chef_d View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chef_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2007 at 11:48pm
Yes - thats the kind of thing im talking about

they had t-shirts and everything for that horse
Jarryd View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jarryd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2007 at 12:09am
I remember the horse in japan... had 100 starts for no wins or something;

cant remember the name tho,
Xolento View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xolento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2007 at 12:30am
http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=290122004

found it , it's name is Haru-urara
Xolento View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xolento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2007 at 12:36am
She currently maintains a record of 0 wins and 113 losses.

some great stories if you google her name
John H View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2007 at 12:57am
Ouroene in the late seventies or so had 124 starts in Australia for a 0-2-7 scoreline.
Xolento View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xolento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2007 at 1:27am
Yes, John H, The most famous non-winner in Australian Racing History, Ouroene raced on 124 occasions. She was second twice, third seven times. She won $145,00 in purses during the late 70s while never quite taking top prize. She was trained by her owner George Chiotis who clearly cared for the sport more than the prizemoney.  He was crushed when she died.
Fine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2007 at 2:25am
And in some ways wasn't a bad racehorse, as $145,000 was a lot of moey in those days. I think she was placed in a couple of group races.
Flight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2007 at 3:53am
The record holder in the States is Zippy Chippy.  I think there was some talk of a movie about his career given his cult following.

Zippy Chippy.                 

Racehorse foaled in New York State on 20 Apr 1991. He started his racing career in 1994, never placing better than third in 11 starts. Fearing the horse would end up at the meat market, trainer Felix Monserrate traded an old horse van for the winless gelding in 1995. Zippy Chippy continued to lose, and in 1998, after he refused to leave the starting gate for the third time, officials at Finger Lakes Racetrack in Farmington (Ontario Co), his home base, banned him from racing there. Racing at tracks outside of New York State proved no easier; at a Northampton, Mass, track on 6 Sept 1999, he lost his 86th consecutive race, setting the record for lost races among thoroughbreds. His record won him throngs of fans and a spot in People magazine's list of the 50 most fascinating personalities in 2000. Despite his losses, he had accumulated $29,167 in winnings by placing second in 7 races and third in 12 races through 2001. Although winless against horses, Zippy Chippy won his first race in August 2001, when he narrowly defeated a Rochester Red Wings baseball player in a 120 ft (37 m) race. In December 2004 Monserrate announced that he was retiring the horse from racing. Zippy Chippy, who finished with 100 losses, was to become an outrider pony at the Finger Lakes Racetrack in 2005.

Kane, Mike. "He Just Can't Win," The Blood-Horse, 10 Oct 1998, 5582

Elizabeth Redkey

Blake View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2007 at 4:02am
LMFAO

"Kane, Mike. "He Just Can't Win," The Blood-Horse, 10 Oct 1998, 5582 "

abahahah
brilliant.
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2007 at 4:18am
I remember Fairfield Trots use to host a maiden for the most terrible trotters around and the race was worth around $5k.There was a horse who had over 120 starts for 1 or 2 placings lol.
Hidden In Hollywood
questions View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2007 at 4:28am
i remember reading in a book about a horse that raced long ago that finished close to last every time and raced many times, the exact stats elude me but, it lead to its name being involved with australian slang and i am sure is stil being used today by some people. not me

his name was Drongo
i do not know were the owner got the name but it caught on
"it's not gambling if you're absolutely sure you're gonna win" Barney Stinson
The Insider View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Insider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2007 at 6:13am
Anything I own or bet on !!!Cry
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2007 at 6:21am
Originally posted by Xolento Xolento wrote:

Yes, John H, The most famous non-winner in Australian Racing History, Ouroene raced on 124 occasions. She was second twice, third seven times. She won $145,00 in purses during the late 70s while never quite taking top prize. She was trained by her owner George Chiotis who clearly cared for the sport more than the prizemoney.  He was crushed when she died.

Trained at cantebury, saw her race a few times, i'm sure george was in love with her :)
early4lunch View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote early4lunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2007 at 6:52am
i thought Drongo had ability but refused to use it but I got that from a very casual source.
silver View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2007 at 9:24am

It would have to be the Ruby's from Mullumbimby, they have a big cult following and rarely finish better than last in the lowest class races.

King ruby 50: 0-0-0
Midnight Ruby (sister) 8: 0-0-0 
Ruby Queen (mother) 59: 0-0-0
Hoss View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2007 at 9:48am

See! this is what you buggers drive me to after a few drinks! Read, and try to appreciate the torch that we old codgers are trying to carry! (Course, this whirlpool coud suck you TOO down into oblivion!)

The mentioning of Drongo set me thinking! What is the worst or most unfortunate Aussie racing record ever? I know Channon Royale ran all over the place for 64: 4 - 7 - 19, but I dont think any races were at Group level, and there WERE the four wins. I believe Little Dozer was still running around after 74 starts but did have the seven wins from his 74 : 7 - 10 - 5. Robbie Liangs Heart of Egypt had an interesting record: 53: 2 - 12 - 7. And Jimmy the Bear, at 62: 3 - 13 - 16 is obviously right up there. But George Hanlons Rum, at 34 : 0 - 5 - 4 would have to go close! There was, of course, the legendary Ourone, but I cant find her racing record! Anyone help out with this?

What is the most luckless record for a Group level horse that you know about?

Just for comparison, heres a note on Drongo:

"The origin of drongo belongs with a horse rather than a bird. There was an Australian racehorse called Drongo during the early 1920s. He was a bay horse by Lanius-Lys dOr, and, according to the Australasian Turf Register, he had 5 starts in 1923, 15 starts in 1924, and 17 starts in 1925. He scored no wins. Yet he wasnt an absolute no-hoper of a racehorse: he ran second in a VRC Derby and St Leger, third in the AJC St Leger, and fifth in the 1924 Sydney Cup. He often came very close to winning major races, but in 37 starts he never won a race. In 1924 a writer in the Melbourne Argus comments: Drongo is sure to be a very hard horse to beat. He is improving with every run, and in the Herbert Power Stakes at Caulfield he was a close third to Easingwold and Wallace Mortlake at weight-for-age. But he never did win.

Tradition has it that soon after Drongos retirement racegoers started to apply his name to horses that were having similarly unlucky careers, and that it then became more negative, and was applied also to people who were not unlucky so much as they were hopeless cases', no-hopers, and thereafter fools. Even with this explanation there are some lexicographical problems there is a big gap between the time of Drongos racing career, and the first appearance of drongo in the transferred sense. We must jump 15 years to the Second World War. Many of our citations from the early 1940s are associated with the Royal Australian Air Force, where the term is applied in a derogatory way to a recruit. In 1942 A.J. McIntyres Putting Over Burst there is the RAAFs Drongos Serenade which includes the lines: Im just a flamin drongo, / Just a lowdown useless wart / ... The Sergeant told me so. Yet even in military contexts, the association with the racehorse is made, as in the 1946 Salt: Authorised Educational Journal of the Australian Army and Air Force:Drongo was the name of a horse who failed to win a race. He raced 23 years ago. He was foaled in 1921 and always tailed off hopelessly in his races.... The horse retired in 1925 and after that anybody or anything slow or clumsy became a Drongo. We have anecdotal information that the horse Drongo appeared in cartoons by Sam Wells in the Melbourne Sun-Heraldof the early 1930s, but we have been unable to confirm this as yet. If that is true, the cartoons would provide the missing link. At least in the popular imagination the origin of the Australian term drongo rests with the unfortunate horse of the 1920s."

I got this off an old internet site:
the link to which is dead.

But I have also kept a fascinating old research result by John H (you see, you newcomers, we aren't all such a heap of "drongoes" in "the Village":

Posted By: John H Date: Thursday, 24 November 2005, at 7:20 a.m.  In Response To: Re: The Legends Drongo Award (take 2) 

Ouroene

124-0-2-7

$14,005

She ran in 24 stakes races and a hundred others.

I think she only had the one trainer, her owner, George Chiotis, but I am a bit vague about that -he may well have taken her over from another at some early stage. And yes I recall a back page article at the time where George said he was sending her to his cousin's horse, Nureyev !!!!  

All of her runs were in town bar one, her 119th start, when she was last in a Provincial Stakes at Gosford.  

She ran in the Flight Stakes, The Metropolitan and the Reisling Slipper Trial along the way and was fifth of five to Kingston Town one day in the STC Cup, when KT went past the million from memory. She was a liver chestnut and quite solidly built, and one year, polled a single vote for HOTY !

Back in '05 I even came across a chat conversation between a "Bunnies" and a "Ourone":-

Bunnies:

This one will test the memories of the older brigade from Sydney. A horse called Ourone raced in the early 80's. It clocked up 100 starts with out a win but was a Group placegetter. The trainer (who I cannot remember his name) used to run in him in all the races Kingston Town ran in. The King used to scare off a lot of runners so some races would only have 4-5 runners and the grand old maiden used to rack up a bit of prize money.

My favourite horse of the early-mid 80's was a Brisbane horse called Smileaklye. Came down and ran third in the Doncaster. One of the most consistent performers I ever followed.

Anyone remember either of these - I doubt it!

Bunnies

Ourone:

My husband rode Ourone once at Warick Farm and finished last, it was an 8 year old by this stage. The trainer's name was George Chiotis.

Bunnies:

Your husband is a privileged man! Any stories he would like to share? That horse was a real crowd favourite!

Ourone:

The horse had the ability, ran fifth to Kingston Town though. Just put in the wrong races. The day hubby rode it at a 2100m race at Warick Farm, it was on it's 123rd start instructions on the day were when you jump, drop out and be running last, stay there until the 800m at the 800m pull out and start going forward which he did. Passed the second last horse and in the space of 50 yards the second last horse passed me, ran 12 last behind the 2nd last horse. On returning to scale, while unsaddling, the trainer's wife who was a registered nurse made a statement that the horse seemed distress, the trainer went into the stewards room stating that his horse had been nobbled. Needless to say being a jockey, hubby found a brand new excuse for when the horse gets beaten.

Ourone:

Hubby was apprenticed to TJ Smith from 1980 - 1984 learnt to ride on Kingston Town, remembers quite a few horses from that era.

This is RACING HISTORY children! Get with it and start collecting data!

(If only Joffs were here, he'd have a field day with me on this one!!)
Mayor View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mayor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2007 at 9:56am
Hoss, the village archivist. I'll get you all the zipped files of the old forums...if I can find them. Wink
Mayor
Hoss View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2007 at 10:07am
I think Silver's results have to stand as something special!

Of course they were nearly all maiden races - maybe at best a C3. But still, THAT is real perseverance! There is a point where owners might be competing just to keep getting club's free entry vochers to the members' lunch! Or maybe the "Rubies" actually have a commercial sponsor?

Of course, world-wide. the champion losers' figures are even weirder!
Hoss View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2007 at 10:12am
Oh yeah, please "zip" me those archives, Mayor! I might sink for ten years but what a tale I would come up with! I remember when the TB archive files were easy to access back in 2004 - we had stories, poems, incandescant rage, tears and millions of laughs. And a genuine social history of the track in Aus/NZ!
malty View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2007 at 5:37pm
i think oureone came  to brisbane for her last start and broke down during a training gallop and was put down, she was 9 years old and had 124 starts
Bagman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bagman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2007 at 6:10pm
I owned one that was SO bad it ran last at its last start at Balranald by such a margin that I kept a photo I took of it finishing.
Why?
At the post with NO other horse in the frame, the jockey standing high in the irons and the horses ears pricked, you could be forgiven for thinking she'd won by plenty!! People still say 'gee she's gapped 'em' when they look at it.
Think her record was 11 and 0. A 4th (of 5)at Albury on a bog track being the highlight.
I don't have one
Hound Dog View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hound Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2007 at 7:43pm
I think i speak for all of us when i say post that photo bag, sounds hilarious!!
Round 1 - C Judd v B Cousins = BONER TIME.... They know we're coming!
Pihanga View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pihanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2007 at 9:11pm
this one was a beauty

Black Rono (NZ) 1978 () Black Gelding

First Sire:     Takearisk (FR) 1973     Dam:     Fair Linda (NZ) 1962
Trainer:           Owner:     Dr E H S & Mesdames J P Alcock & M Wilsen & P S Wilson
Breeder:           Colours:     
Hurdles Certificate:           Steeple Certificate:     
TBS:     No           
Race History
open/close
Career Summary
open/close
     STARTS     WINS     SECONDS     THIRDS     FOURTHS     FIFTHS     EARNINGS
Career:     30     3     3     1     2     1     $9,965
Flat:     30     3     3     1     2     1     $9,965
Steeples:     0     0     0     0     0     0     $
Hurdles:     0     0     0     0     0     0     $
Fast (0 - 0 - 0) Good (17 - 1 - 1) Dead (7 - 2 - 0) Slow (2 - 0 - 0) Heavy (4 - 0 - 3)

was actually sold by pat the rat wilson to sir michael fay and others at some stage and was a big part of sir mike's early education in thoroughbreds

Black Rono's career highlight was his second start which is recorded as a dash

-14, AVON, 10 Dec 1980, $3,175, $0, 2YO, 1200m, HEAVY, 1.10.97, Flat
M N LUMSDEN Wgt 51.0 Car 51.0 LWD 48.5, 9/9
1: Efficacious, 52.0 2: Lord Facetious, 51.5; 1 1/4 LEN:LONG HEAD

he in fact circled avondale the wrong way making life very difficult for all other jockeys and riders

he also managed the odd win this being by far the best

1-10, AUCK, 24 Jan 1981, $3,375, $2,100, 2YO, 1200m, Dead, 1.14.82, Flat
S G ROYAL Wgt 52.0 Car 52.0 LWD 49.5, 1/4
2: Isle Of Man, 52.5 3: Altitude, 49.5; LONG HEAD:1/2 LEN

the placegetters certainly did more at 3!!!

he finished his career with a series of near lasts being the most frustrating of all possibilities, a horse that shows some ability early and then refuses to produce it

11-14, AUCK, 30 Jan 1984, $5,400, $0, C2, 2100m, Good, 2.12.22, Flat
David Peake Wgt 50.0 Car 50.3 LWD 50.0, 11/11
1: Sailorman, 52.5 2: Paleface, 51.5; 1 LEN:1 1/4 LEN
14-16, WELL, 23 Jan 1984, $3,800, $0, C3, 2000m, Good, 2.02.06, Flat
P G Tims Wgt 51.5 Car 52.0 LWD 49.0, 13/13
1: Gossip, 52.0 2: Bess, 53.5; SHORT LEN:1/2 LEN
10-15, PHRC, 07 Jan 1984, $2,700, $0, C3, 2000m, Good, 2.02.8, Flat
Maurice Campbell Wgt 52.5 Car 53.5 LWD 49.0, 6/6
1: Phizam, 55.0 2: Aptitude, 54.5; 1 1/2 LEN:NOSE
Xolento View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xolento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2007 at 9:16pm
most frustrating horse in my string was CHUT Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic