Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

War Front

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: War Front
    Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 7:48am
Bit of a stupid question from me.

How does a youngish stallion like War Front become a boom stallion.

I suppose he must stamp his offspring quite well.

However, he was more G2 than G1 himself.

He's got 5 G1 winners so far, which isn't a lot, but maybe quite good for a stallion that started from modest beginnings.  Started out at $12,500,and as recently as 2011 was $15,000. Now $150,000.

Obviously getting better mares now.

Getting a lot of support from Coolmore, but there must always be an underbidder, pushing up the high prices Coolmore pay for War Fronts.

I suppose the question I'm trying to ask is, are the people who are paying the high prices know what they're doing, when I already know the answer is yes.

Geraldo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 8:01am
02/14/2014 1:50PM

War Front: Leading sire by average earnings, average juvenile earnings

< id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" border="0" allowtransparency="true" ="http://plat.twitter.com/widgets/tweet_.1410542722.#_=1410551852198&count=horizontal&count=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.drf.com%2Fnews%2Fwar-front-leading-sire-average-earnings-average-juvenile-earnings&id=twitter-widget-0&lang=en&original_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.drf.com%2Fnews%2Fwar-front-leading-sire-average-earnings-average-juvenile-earnings&related=DRFInsidePost%2CDRFDerby%2CDRFGrening&size=m&text=War%20Front%3A%20Leading%20sire%20by%20average%20earnings%2C%20average%20juvenile%20earnings%20&=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.drf.com%2Fnews%2Fwar-front-leading-sire-average-earnings-average-juvenile-earnings&via=DRFInsidePost" ="twitter-share- twitter-tweet- twitter-share- twitter-count-horizontal" title="Twitter Tweet " -twttr-rendered="true" style="overflow-y: auto; border-style: none; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; width: 108px; : none; border-top-left-radius: 0px; border-top-right-radius: 0px; border-bottom-right-radius: 0px; border-bottom-left-radius: 0px; display: block; height: 20px; overflow-x: !imant; : none;">
< border="0" ="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" scrolling="no" ="0" ="0" width="100%" id="I0_1410551850025" name="I0_1410551850025" ="https://apis.google.com/u/0/se/0/_/+1/fast?usegapi=1&size=medium&annotation=bubble&width=&hl=en&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.drf.com&=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.drf.com%2Fnews%2Fwar-front-leading-sire-average-earnings-average-juvenile-earnings&g=3p&ic=1&jsh=m%3B%2F_%2Fscs%2Fapps-static%2F_%2Fjs%2Fk%3Doz.gapi.en.nydFsWLyQow.O%2Fm%3D__features__%2Fam%3DEQ%2Frt%3Dj%2Fd%3D1%2Ft%3Dzcms%2Frs%3DAItRSTNwA6n_PYIYGEvonBxfzsdZcggLVw#_methods=onPlusOne%2C_ready%2C_%2C_%2C_resizeMe%2C_renderstart%2Concircled%2Cd%2Ce%2C&id=I0_1410551850025&parent=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.drf.com&pfname=&rpctoken=25099535" -gapiattached="true" title="+1" style="overflow-y: auto; border-style: none; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; width: 90px; : none; border-top-left-radius: 0px; border-top-right-radius: 0px; border-bottom-right-radius: 0px; border-bottom-left-radius: 0px; font-size: 10px; : static; top: 0px; left: 0px; visibility: ; height: 20px; overflow-x: !imant; : none;">
Email
Barbara D. Livingston
War Front stands at Claiborne Farm in Paris, Ky.

Leading Kentucky general sire by average earnings
Leading Kentucky juvenile sire by average earnings

War Front enjoyed a breakout season in 2013, and his success has helped attract even better mares to his court, so the best could be yet to come for the young sire.

The 12-year-old Danzig horse, standing at Claiborne Farm in Paris, Ky., checked in fifth on the general sire list – his first time in the top 10 – and was Kentucky’s leading sire by average progeny earnings per starter in 2013. His runners averaged $77,441 to best runner-up Into Mischief’s $70,493.

War Front also was Kentucky’s leading juvenile sire by average earnings in 2014, with $67,534. Second was Lane’s End’s pensioned stallion A.P. Indy, whose final crop of 2-year-olds averaged $61,733 per runner.

War Front’s season was fueled by European standouts Declaration of War and War Command. Declaration of War captured the Queen Anne Stakes at Royal Ascot and the Juddmonte International, both Group 1 events, before finishing a close third in the Breeders’ Cup Classic in his first start on dirt. War Command was a Group 1-winning juvenile in England and a Group 2 winner in Ireland.

In addition to War Command, War Front’s top juveniles of 2013 included Grade 2 winner Bashart and stakes winners Diamond Bachelor and Giovanni Boldini. All of those successes were on turf, helping War Front place second on the average turf earnings list at $40,940 behind leading general sire Kitten’s Joy at $47,423. That stallion had 174 runners on turf to War Front’s 80.

War Front’s other standouts in 2013 included Departing, a three-time graded stakes winner on dirt; prior Grade 1 winner Data Link, who added the Grade 3 Canadian Turf Stakes to his credentials; multiple graded turf stakes winner Summer Front; and Lines of Battle, the winner of the Group 2 U.A.E. Derby on synthetic. That versatility has been a hallmark of War Front’s stallion career.

“Versatility-wise, [War Front’s progeny] run long, they run short, they win as 2-year-olds, 3-year-olds, as older horses,” Bernie Sams, bloodstock manager at Claiborne, said. “It doesn’t matter if they’re sprinting or going two turns. The fact that [they have won on] dirt, turf, and synthetic is pretty remarkable and just shows you how good a sire he really is.”

Racing as a homebred for longtime Claiborne client Joseph Allen, War Front was a standout sprinter on dirt, taking the Grade 2 Alfred G. Vanderbilt Handicap and placing twice in Grade 1 events. He entered stud in 2007 at Claiborne for a modest fee of $12,500 and rapidly demonstrated an ability to move mares up. From his first crop, came Grade 2 winner Soldat, who was the first foal out of an unraced mare, while Grade 1 winners Summer Soiree and The Factor were the first stakes horses out of their respective dams.

As War Front’s first runners debuted, his commercial popularity rose accordingly. Yearlings from his first two crops sold for an average of $36,065 at public auction; in 2011, the year after his first crop raced, that figure leapt to $204,251. Last year, he averaged $363,076, bolstered by a $2.5 million colt who topped the Keeneland September sale.

War Front’s fee has risen at a parallel rate. From $10,000 for 2010, it jumped to $15,000 for 2011 and quadrupled to $60,000 for 2012. He stands for $150,000 this year, tied for the highest advertised fee in North America.

According to The Jockey Club’s statistics, War Front averaged 86 mares in each of his first four books. In the last three years, that figure has risen to an average of 103. Beyond increased quantity, War Front has added quality to his books, which read like a who’s who among prominent racemares and broodmares. The list includes Take Charge Lady (dam of Will Take Charge), Matlacha Pass (dam of Point of Entry), Playa Maya (dam of Uncle Mo), and a host of Grade/Group 1 winners topped by Zenyatta, who is due to deliver a War Front foal this spring.

Already booked to War Front this year are 2011 Horse of the Year Havre de Grace, Kentucky Oaks winner Plum Pretty, and Betterbetterbetter, who topped the Fasig-Tipton Kentucky select fall mixed sale at $5.2 million in foal to the sire. All three are owned by Mandy Pope, a high-profile buyer of mares in recent years, in a show of support that will not be the only one from prominent breeders this year.

Geraldo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2014 at 11:58pm
Quite a remarkable Grade 1 winner for War Front.

Peace And War was so far in Britain little better than maiden class, but her maiden win was on the All Weather.

$300,000 yearling.

Goes and wins the first Grade 1 at Keeneland, on it's return to a dirt surface.

Olly Stevens, the trainer, is little known in Britain. He had 17 winners last year, and 7 so far this season.

He does however, have several horses for Qatar Racing.

Well done on the Qatari Racing team.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2014 at 12:32am
now thats a hoot, because when i was in kentucky i got lucky and met War Front, and got a pic of me with him, so if he comes out and is the next best thing i can have bragging rights for years LOL  its always good to be able to produce a pic and casually say "oh yes thats me with,,,,".Big smile
and at the time i really had no idea about this horse, and didnt even know his breeding.  since then i have taken quite an interest in him .   so your posts are very interesting to me, Geraldo.  please keep them coming.

animals before people.
progeny test View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progeny test Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2014 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

now thats a hoot, because when i was in kentucky i got lucky and met War Front, and got a pic of me with him, so if he comes out and is the next best thing i can have bragging rights for years LOL  its always good to be able to produce a pic and casually say "oh yes thats me with,,,,".Big smile
and at the time i really had no idea about this horse, and didnt even know his breeding.  since then i have taken quite an interest in him .   so your posts are very interesting to me, Geraldo.  please keep them coming.

AA, could you remember the size of War Front ? On Youtube and on the picture on this thread, he is about 15.2 / either that or the stallion handler is a giant.

Makes a mockery of big being better ? !!

Pinhooked a tiny little hussonet weaner couple of years ago, could only get $7500 in the ring and noticed she is the current "Track" record holder at Kempsey over 1000 metres. She was tiny! Image my shock less than 6 months later, she wins her first race as a 2 yr old, 1 week before Christmas !!! doing her last 600m in 32.8 at Scone! I was gobsmacked !! now she's won over $100000 She just turned 4 and still going strong.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2014 at 3:14pm
i think that handler in the above pic must be quite tall, because i just looked at a pic of me next to the horse , and while he certainly isnt big like All Too Hard, he isnt really pony size.  Just comparing my pictures i would reckon he is about the same size as O'Reilly ? 
just guessing, but he isnt another Rorys Jester size wise.  not that size counted for much with R J !
at the time , when i didnt know much at all about this horse, i thought he was pretty plain, but looks dont mean much do they LOL  they offered us a photo op, and i never pass that up, in case the horse comes out a world beater , but i didnt really pay a lot of attention to him at the time.Embarrassed

living in the area she races in, whats the little hussonet girl,s name ?
animals before people.
progeny test View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progeny test Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2014 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

i think that handler in the above pic must be quite tall, because i just looked at a pic of me next to the horse , and while he certainly isnt big like All Too Hard, he isnt really pony size.  Just comparing my pictures i would reckon he is about the same size as O'Reilly ? 
just guessing, but he isnt another Rorys Jester size wise.  not that size counted for much with R J !
at the time , when i didnt know much at all about this horse, i thought he was pretty plain, but looks dont mean much do they LOL  they offered us a photo op, and i never pass that up, in case the horse comes out a world beater , but i didnt really pay a lot of attention to him at the time.Embarrassed

living in the area she races in, whats the little hussonet girl,s name ?

Ms Wicked Wanda
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2014 at 7:38pm
Thumbs UpBeer
animals before people.
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2014 at 8:03pm
Good lil Hussonet that one. Have to say he is turning into one of my fave sires
Paul Hogan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2014 at 10:50pm
The David Boon of sires.

Every time he goes to the crease/breeding barn you know you will get 100%.
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2014 at 8:52am
yes but how many cans can he drink in one flight Paul?......
Paul Hogan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2014 at 9:32am

Are yes achievements on and off the field!

Off and racing View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off and racing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2014 at 8:58pm
Wasn't Danehill and star kingdom not much over 15, Australia's 2 most dominant sires. Size doesn't matter.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2014 at 9:04pm
Northern Dancer, Hyperion & Star Kingdom, 3 pretty handy stallions Wink
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2014 at 11:04pm
the only time size counts is in a man,s mind.
and that above  pic of War Front is pretty ordinary .  he looks much better than that furry little sway backed pony.Cry
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 9:35am
Embedded image permalink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 12:11pm
thanks Gay for that, and its not a very good pic either , as I said, I didnt make much effort with him at the time.  I should have got him out of shade , and stood up properly .  but you can get some idea of him with a handler who wasnt a tall bloke like the one above.   the handler was about my height,  which is 5 feet 6 inches in the old stuff, cant say what that converts to Confusedand its not an even surface as it slopes slightly forward to that drain in front.

animals before people.
Heroic View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heroic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 1:03pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wskVz3lvp48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTk2VTjY4rw

Looks 15.1 hands to me ?

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 3:19pm
probably close, heroic.
over 15 but not 16 i am guessing.
animals before people.
Geraldo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 10:52pm

Declaration Of War: son of War Front is now standing at Coolmore

PICTURE: Mark Cranham (racingpost.com/photos)

War Front stud fee unchanged at $150,000

BY BLOODSTOCK WORLD STAFF9:19AM 9 OCT 2014 

CLAIBORNE FARM resident War Front will stand for an unchanged fee of $150,000 next season, a figure that is almost double his fee in 2013, the year Group 1 winners Declaration Of War and War Command showcased his talents in Europe.

The son of Danzig added another Grade 1 winner to his tally last week when smart juvenile filly Peace And War landed the Darley Alcibiades Stakes at Keeneland for Qatar Racing, earning her trainer Olly Stevens a first top-flight victory.

War Front, who stood for $80,000 in 2013 and $60,000 in 2012, is currently returning an average price of 309,556gns at this season's yearling sales.

Ten of 11 of Claiborne's stallions will stand for unchanged fees next year, with the exception of Breeders' Cup Classic winner Blame, whose fee is yet to be announced. His sire and studmate Arch will stand at $40,000, while Kentucky Derby hero Orb will be available at $25,000.

Flatter and Trappe Shot, whose yearlings proved popular at the Keeneland September sale, will stand for $20,000 and $10,000 respectively.

Announcing the fees, Claiborne stallion director Bernie Sams said: "Claiborne is committed to setting realistic stud fees. We value the support of the breeders, and thanks to them our stallions have had considerable success over the last few years."

Claiborne Farm stallion fees

Algorithms $7,500

Arch $40,000

Blame TBA

Data Link $7,500

First Samurai $15,000

Flatter $20,000

Horse Greeley $2,500

Orb $25,000

Stroll $5,000

Trappe Shot $10,000

War Front $150,000

Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 1:59pm
Fleet Reveiw
Spirit of Valour
US Navy Flag
Intelligence Cross

Obviously out here to continue the procession of War Front sons though local stud farms... are these four any better than The Factor, Declaration of War, Air Force Blue or The Brothers War?
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 4:38pm
No need to wonder why so many of these breeding horses succumb to laminitis! There's no excuse for this Angry
WAR FRONT - Sent to me by a friend.

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 4:42pm
Now That is not a good look imo , weak heel or not he is overdue for a " remove " .
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 5:03pm
Terrible farriery is responsible for these! Foal feet don't start off looking like this but they deteriorate quickly with poor farriers, combined with shoes from an early age which don't allow for the foot to work naturally especially as it's growing untill they're 5yo.
A skilled farrier would have these feet back to normal angles in 8 or 9mths once a new capsule has grown down, it can easily be seen at the 1st inch how Nature is trying to correct the angle but can't due to human inadequacies. Forward Foot Syndrome is the most common foot issue seen in TBs, not helped by far too much starch/sugar & carbs Cry
The broodys are in an even worse situation having to carry the extra weight of foals year in, year out Ouch

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 5:27pm
And therein to warped bone structure , especially pasturns , i love a horse that stands up nice behind , that's why I like the Royal Ascot meetings when I stay up , they've got it right even if a lot have limited ability. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply