Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Wall of Fire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deejays destiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wall of Fire
    Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 2:50pm
Australian connections of Wall Of Fire have decided to spell the horse in Victoria while they decide who trains him into the future.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by deejays destiny deejays destiny wrote:

Australian connections of Wall Of Fire have decided to spell the horse in Victoria while they decide who trains him into the future.

He stopped for a saucer of milk at the 400m in the M. Cup.

Needs more than a spell.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 5:57pm
Another horse that was backed for a stack, and failed in the Cup. The bookies must have been in a delirium of joy.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 6:10pm
How on earth did a importedhorse that had a start before cup fail ?

reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

How on earth did a importedhorse that had a start before cup fail ?

Do you have any more silly questions, or is that the only one ?
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 6:20pm
I was sucked in by the whole "run before the cup" BS and by Williams supposedly choosing it over what looked to me like a far better choice. Wasn't interested in plodder Marmelo at least, so can hold my head high on that one.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 6:25pm
Well, the winner was the first to win without the local lead-up run since Vintage Crop, and no doubt if you kept backing them, Rekindling would be a small consolation to the depleted betting bank.
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 6:28pm
I still fail to see why people liked this horseConfused
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

I still fail to see why people liked this horseConfused

I think just simply the run pre Cup and the myth that it matters/ed.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

Well, the winner was the first to win without the local lead-up run since Vintage Crop, and no doubt if you kept backing them, Rekindling would be a small consolation to the depleted betting bank.

My second silly question.

97 horses had not won first up since Vintage Crop. How many had had lead ups and failed in the same period ?

reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 7:14pm
Raw numbers don't tell us much, but we know when nothing wins in 23 consecutive years, and there have been 0/97, the losses are "total". If the average price of them was 20/1,( close to it, I'd say) it would only have been a marginal loss to back everything over the 23 years that had indeed had a lead up run. Not that it would have mabe any sense to do that, laying the others would have been a very successful operation obviously.
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 7:24pm
Quite a few went very close so it was more a hoodoo than a requirement. The late great MC campaigner Red Cadeaux missed by a pixel (supposedly)
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

Quite a few went very close so it was more a hoodoo than a requirement. The late great MC campaigner Red Cadeaux missed by a pixel (supposedly)

I agree with that, the data set is so small, but people have a tendency to impart significance to that which in statistical terms, is most definitely not significant. There were quite a few seconds and thirds, which were they absent, might have lent credence to the theory.
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 4:19am
I put the pen through him for the MC on the basis that he’d never won a black type race.

Every MC winner for the past 30 years has at least won a black type race prior to its Melb Cup victory.   Only 2 MC winners in the past 50 years didn’t meet this criteria - Black Knight and Beldale Ball.

Anyway it will be interesting to see who connections decide to place him with here in Australia.

Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 8:03am
Originally posted by Lord Hybrow Lord Hybrow wrote:

I put the pen through him for the MC on the basis that he’d never won a black type race.

Every MC winner for the past 30 years has at least won a black type race prior to its Melb Cup victory.   Only 2 MC winners in the past 50 years didn’t meet this criteria - Black Knight and Beldale Ball.

Anyway it will be interesting to see who connections decide to place him with here in Australia.

Is that part of a method you use when picking a winner for the Cup? Its certainly an interesting factor to considwr.
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 8:23am
It would be a matter of how many in the market didn't have a win in black type. Might be very few.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 9:04am
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

It would be a matter of how many in the market didn't have a win in black type. Might be very few.

This year Wall of Fire, Thomas Hobson & Nakeeta were the 3 runners that had never won a black type race - so I immediately discounted them as winning chances.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 9:54am
Barts = "they have to have done the miles " theory is long gone.

Rekindling had plenty of support as one of the top 6 in betting so he wasn't a bolter.      No weight and that seems to be the number1 requirement these days.      
Add to that the charmed rails run he enjoyed and BINGO.
Half the field couldn't win after 800m ,   with the slow pace and wide runs .            Lotto tickets might be the way to go.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 10:02am
I doubt any formulaic method is going to help much with the Melbourne Cup these days, it being a much-changed, and still changing event.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 10:09am
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

Barts = "they have to have done the miles " theory is long gone.

Rekindling had plenty of support as one of the top 6 in betting so he wasn't a bolter.      No weight and that seems to be the number1 requirement these days.      
Add to that the charmed rails run he enjoyed and BINGO.
Half the field couldn't win after 800m ,   with the slow pace and wide runs .            Lotto tickets might be the way to go.

They can do all the mile's you like if they ain't got it, they ain't got it, your not saying rekindling didn't have the miles in his leg's Macca are you?but was just the best horse on the day, I think he was, second horse goes well too fwiw.
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 7:02pm
New trainer is Ciaron Maher

Wall Of Fire was last year trying to become the first English-trained Melbourne Cup winner but this year he will be striving to win the Cup for a home-grown Aussie trainer.

Hugo Palmer put the polish on the European stayer when he started at $11 in last year’s Melbourne Cup off the back of an excellent Australian debut when powering home into second in the Group II Herbert Power Stakes.

Wall Of Fire failed to flatter in the 2017 Melbourne Cup, finishing 16th behind Rekindling, but remained in Australia and is now in the care of Ciaron Maher.

Wall Of Fire has only recently come into Maher’s stable but he has high hopes for the stayer who he would have trained in last year’s Melbourne Cup if it wasn’t for a six-month training suspension.

Maher has previously had two Melbourne Cup runners (Jameka finished 15th in 2016 and Mr O’Ceirin second last in 2014).

But it is possible Maher’s career Melbourne Cup representation could be doubled this year with Wall Of Fire and also Light Pillar who he purchased from French trainer Andre Fabre.

Maher says Wall Of Fire, who has passed the ballot clause for the Melbourne Cup, is a pure stayer that he is delighted to get his hands on.

“He would have run for me last spring but I had my own set of circumstances and I spoke to the owners and said it was the best thing for the horse at the time to stay with Hugo,” Maher said.

“He is a medium-sized horse with a good aerobic capacity and hopefully he is bound for the Melbourne Cup.

“There is plenty of quality about him, it is just about getting him used to the different conditions out here and he probably appreciates a bit of give in the track.

“The first thing is to get him back fit and get a couple of trials into him.”

Maher hasn’t decided Wall Of Fire’s spring campaign, preferring to let the stayer tell him which races to run in as he attempts to get into the Melbourne Cup.

“I will map the program as we go with him,” Maher said.

“With these European horses, they don’t really handle a lot of galloping.

“It is just about getting them feeling well and getting some miles into their legs for conditioning.

“He will go through his campaign and I will just let the races bring him on.

“He is a pure stayer, an out-and-out stayer.”

Wall Of Fire is currently a best-priced $81 with Ladbrokes to win the 2018 Melbourne Cup.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 7:35pm
We can put a line through him.

reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 10:45am
We can cut that line I had drawn through him.

Is he going first up into the Metropolitan ?

I like it. Not sure I will back him, But I like it. 
reductio ad absurdum
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 1:08pm
Nominated for 2040m Group 3 race Friday night at the Valley and also a 2400m listed race at Mornington on Saturday
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 10:17pm

We can cut that line I had drawn through him.

Is he going first up into the Metropolitan ?

I like it. Not sure I will back him, But I like it. 

He’s not good enough for a Metropolitan Hcp, but the RM Ansett Classic at Mornington looks more his grade.

And 2400m first up shouldn’t be a problem.

Ciaron recently got another import in BIG BLUE to win a 3200m hurdle first up for nearly a year. Then he won again over 3480m at his 2nd up run.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 10:37pm
How good do you think the Metropolitan is ?

A horse will not need to be remotely group 1 class to win it.
reductio ad absurdum
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 11:13pm
This horse is being set towards the Melbourne Cup.
Don’t expect him to be doing anything this weekend.
At this stage Sydney is the front runner
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 12:37am
Originally posted by Shawy38 Shawy38 wrote:

This horse is being set towards the Melbourne Cup.
Don’t expect him to be doing anything this weekend.
At this stage Sydney is the front runner

Melbourne Cup is only 7 weeks away.

I would imagine he only has this and one maybe two other races before hand. I think we can expect something if he is any chance in a Melbourne Cup. 

Metropolitan 2400m
Herbert Power or Randwick St Leger
Or should he have won the Metrop the Caulfield Cup
If he went via the Herbert Power or St Leger, than the Moonee Valley Cup is an option.

reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 6:43am

How good do you think the Metropolitan is ?

A horse will not need to be remotely group 1 class to win it.

Fair enough comment looking at the latest market.

It’s definitely not as strong as is should be. The likes of Avilius, Ace High, Vengeur Masque, Sir Charles Road, Ventura Storm and several of Lloyd’s imports should all be running in the Metrop. It’s one of only a few G1 races any of these horses are capable of winning in the Spring.

Seems like the rise of the Bart Cummings Stks as a ballot free MC race is cannibalising the Metrop, despite only being a G3 race!
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 9:54am
Make the Metrop. ballot free , the winner of this race once was a " shoo in" for the MC, now with the moving of the goal posts for ballot free races this race has been treated with utter contempt , both clubs need a kick up the arse , have a look at Everest day, from what I've read ( and I could be wrong) 4 G1s at Caulfield , jockey' will be flip flopping, punters wanting to do Melb. the economy would be much healthier , travel, accom. etc, wish they would bury the hatchet for the benefit of all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>