Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Vic Weather

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 1:12pm
Due to maintenance upgrades Powercorp had a need to kill our power supply from 9 'till 3 today which hasn't affected our use of TV, computer of hot water jug but our aircon's directly wired thru' the wall to the power box, I suppose.
We now have an outside feels like of 6C & it sure doesn't feel much warmer in here Angry. Geez I hope they get done early Wink
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
James Bond Esq View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Bond Esq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 5:44pm
Did they get done Gay?
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 5:15pm
CFA Updates @CFA_Updates 2hrs ago

Smoke haze in Victoria due to fires in Western Australia. Thoughts go out to colleagues & community in WA #wafires

Embedded image permalink

Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 5:17pm
It's not good In WA at all, four already reported dead in the Esperance fires.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 5:44pm
Figured there must've been, Turnbull offering condolences came up on my feed earlier, poor devils, those left behind I mean Unhappy
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 6:14pm
Apparently 3 were German backpackers, and the other a local farmer
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 7:25pm
Presently 25.8C down to 11C by 9a.m. & plenty of rain forecast, luckily Kyneton have sensibly withheld irrigationto 4mm last 24 hours, 14mm last 7 days.
Go Flash Go View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2016 at 9:40am
Over this summer every time it's started to dry out we've got rain just in time to green things up and ward off  the fire danger.  

Could say it looks pretty safe now for this year with this current lot of rain, was difficult to before.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2016 at 9:52am
In your neck of the woods perhaps, Flash Unhappy
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 3:43pm
South of the divide .... yes .... drying out a little now Wink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 10:01am
.... and so here's that rain Smile 
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 6:45pm

Seasonal Outlook for South West Victoria, issued April 15, 2016

Summary : 

Generally, the outlook for Victoria is for an average to above average 5 month in regards to rainfall. Temperatures are likely to be milder than normal for the whole state, owing to the warm Sea Surface Temperatures injecting additional moisture over the country. A lot of what occurs will depend on the Indian Ocean, and its ability to stay warmer than normal through the winter months. If we see a Negative Indian Ocean Dipole this could set the stage for well above average rainfall for most of the country, particularly South Eastern Australia. This will be refined over the next 8 weeks, as the IOD is important to winter patterns across the country.  Victoria also benefits from being close the coast, where frontal activity can enhance rainfall. However, winter fronts may well be suppressed due to high pressure placing at lower latitudes.

South west vic

Decile Scale

1 – 3   Below Normal

4 – 7  Near Normal

8 – 10  Well above normal

The forecast is in blue, the red is the forecast i have made last month so you can view the changes I have made. This will be an ongoing thing as then you can see which way the bias is heading. Both May and June are slightly above normal, June is the target month and the wettest. July and August should be somewhere about normal, and then a wetter trend should develop in the Spring. The target months are the next two, with confidence high, and then medium confidence for the last 3 months.

Notes : With the decile scale, a decile 6 would imply slightly to the wetter side of average, and 4 would imply a slightly drier bias to the forecast. 

Disclaimer : This forecast is the intellectual property of A.V. Weather, and isn’t to be redistributed online without my written consent. This is a long range forecast and is to be used as a guide only only, A.V. Weather will under no circumstances be held responsible for any loss incurred from this outlook, which has lower forecast accuracy than a normal forecast. If you any issues, please use this form to contact me. http://www.avweather.net/contact-us/

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 8:21pm
Outlook for Warrnambool Big smile  From A.V. Weather

Week 1, April 27th – May 4th.

Cold fronts are going to begin to affect the Victorian region this week.

The first front on Thursday will weaken as it runs into high pressure.

Another stronger cold front will be approaching from the west on Friday.

Widespread colder conditions are likely over the weekend into Next week.

On Tuesday, another front will be approaching from the west.

Rainfall : 15 – 30 mm, possible heavier falls to 50 mm in the SW coastal regions

Forecast Confidence : High

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 11:17am
The wind is very windy today Tuesday -

- like wild weather but am vey happy to be inside doing bookwork this time Approve 
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 11:33am
I'm just back from the US, so am snuggled up in bed watching the races readjusting to Australian time. Hopefully we get a bucketload of run, our farm really needs it
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 11:33am
Bucketload of RAIN
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 10:34am

Weekly Central Vic Forecast

Weekly Update, issued May 4th.

Weather Situation : 

A strong upper trough is now moving away from Victoria and sliding into the Tasman Sea. During this week, and in feed of moisture will move into WA from the NW and begin feeding SE. At the same time, a strong cold pool is going to move up from the South of Perth and cut off into a low. This will move East On Friday and begin to drag in the upper trough that will slide in ahead of it. Somewhere over the interior of WA and SA region, a rain band will develop and intensify as it moves across the country, and feeds into the low in the Bight. This will set the stage for a very large scale event that has the potential to bring severe weather, with gales and locally heavy rainfall. it will impact South Australia on Saturday afternoon and by Sunday morning will be affecting Western Victoria. By Sunday night it is likely that it will into NSW, and in its wake widespread rain will occur. B Monday the Northern areas of NSW and Southern and Central QLD will also see widespread rain develop, locally heavy.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

Week 1, May 4th – May 11th.

Fine weather for most of this week as a succession of fronts exits the region.

On Friday, a large scale system develops over WA and begins to move East.

By Sunday the system will reach Victoria, where widespread rain and thunderstorms will develop over the region.

The heaviest falls will be through Central and Eastern parts, and into the NE of the state.

The secondary component of the low wrapping around will happen on Monday night into Tuesday, and widespread rain is also likely across the state again.

Rainfall : 20 – 40 mm. Possible falls to 60 mm near the ranges.

Forecast Confidence : High

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————–

Week 2, May 12th– May 19th.

A secondary burst with the wrap around low moves East on Wednesday, the showers will begin to ease on the first two days of this period.

A small fine spell is likely to develop during this week, before another trough develops from the west late in the period.

A this stage the trough is likely to affect Victoria but will be weak.

Cooler conditions are likely for the remainder of the period.

Rainfall : 10 – 20 mm, mostly early in the period.

Forecast Confidence :  Medium / High

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 9:31am

Weekly Update, issued May 14th.

Weather Situation : 

A stable pattern has set up over the interior of the country, with a large high pressure system currently stationary. Over the next 7 days weak cold fronts clip the South of the country, before a stronger front moves through the Lower SE SA, Victoria, Tasmania and Southern NSW on Thursday. Then an upper trough develops over WA, and amplifies as it crosses Southern Australia. At this stage it looks like it will interact with a surface trough over the NT, and interact next week weekend.

Week 1, May 14th – May 21st.

A large high pressure system is ensuring stable weather over most of the country this week.

On Thursday another front impacts Victoria, falls will be generally be between 1 – 4 mm.

Conditions will again become fine, although cloud begins to increase on the weekend as the next system approaches

Barring this conditions will be dry with sunny and mild weather expected for the remainder of the period.

Rainfall : 5 – 10  mm.

Forecast Confidence :  Very High

Week 2, May 22nd– May 29th.

A large upper trough will move into West Australia next Sunday.

This will become the dominant weather feature this week, with widespread rain likely.

An upper low is likely to from on this Long Wave trough and spread rain right into the interior of the country.

A low pressure system develops as it nears Victoria, and may interact with a surface trough moving South from the Top End.

At this stage widespread rain is likely, mostly in the inland areas in the middle of the period.

Rainfall : 15 – 25 mm.

Forecast Confidence :  High

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 8:35pm
Pretty close we got the rain (and the cold)
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 12:48pm

Weekly Central Vic Forecast

Weekly Update, issued June 15th

Weather Situation : 

A strong upper level low is currently producing showers over WA, and will spread into South Australia over the next two days. An upper trough will develop on Thursday and move North towards Central Australia, and drag in some moisture from the NW. This will interact to develop a very large scale system, that will begin in Central QLD and then drive South into NSW over the weekend. Widespread rain and thunderstorms will become widespread and slide down the East coast, and enter Victoria early next week. It will then clear Eastwards on Monday and Tuesday after it cuts off into a strong Low pressure system. Another big system will develop on Monday in SW WA as well, and this will bring widespread rain South of Geraldton, and this spreads into South Australia on Tuesday.

Week 1, June 15th – June 22th.

Conditions will be fine to start this period, with an onshore flow.

A strong upper low and trough moves through on Thursday into Friday, producing showers.

On the weekend this moves into NSW, and then a big surface low forms in NSW and moves back towards Victoria.

Over the weekend, and on Monday, rain enters the Eastern half of Victoria as the low moves down towards the NSW South Coast.

Widespread heavy rain is likely to wrap around into Southern and Eastern Victoria.

Rainfall : 15 – 25  mm.

Forecast Confidence :   High

Week 2, June 23rd– June 30th.

A strong low pressure system exits the state on Tuesday and moves out into the Tasman Sea.

Around the middle of the week another cold front and associated low pressure trough moves into Victoria from the west.

Another burst of showers will move across the state in a fast moving pattern, and further fronts continue to stream in from the West.

Very late in the period, a very large scale Long Wave Trough will develop in WA and move across the Country.

Rainfall : 15 – 25 mm.

Week 3, July 1st – July 8th

An upper trough will now start to develop over the country and bring widespread rain into country.

This is likely to become the focus for the following two weeks.

Widespread rain will move across the country again from the NW, spreading inland and producing widespread rain.

The heaviest falls are likely in every state except WA, where a ridge should keep most of WA dry, except for the South West and coasts.

Rainfall : 25 – 40 mm

Forecast Confidence :  High

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Week 4, July 9th– July 16th

Further low pressure is likely during this period, with the barrage of cold air to continue to pound the Southern areas.

Further rain events are likely as this interacts with further tropical moisture from the NW.

Southern areas will do best during this period as an upper ridge over the interior may temporarily dry things a little.

Rainfall : 20 – 30 mm

Forecast Confidence : Medium 

Notes : Obviously the first two weeks are the targets weeks, what happens with these two weeks will determine the following two weeks downstream of that.

We are moving into a very active period with a lot of things going on, and the weather will change quickly. Hence, I will be updating these pages regularly to give subscribers the best information as it occurs.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 1:00pm
Very different expectations for the next few months between Elders & A V Weather.

Screen Shot 2016-05-13 at 7.29.36 PM

The forecast is in blue, the red is the forecast made last month.

"I think we are going to see a biblical Spring, and as we get closer I will try to narrow down the areas because I think the whole country is going to cop it.

And yet, still other organisations are talking dry, which is very humorous! If you haven’t seen the shift by now you must be seriously delusional."

Edited by Gay3 - 16 Jun 2016 at 6:39pm
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2016 at 8:26am
I hope the power companies have plenty of energy to cope with our heating needs as it looks like our turn towards the end of next week. I for one will be sooking regardless LOL

And then the big one.

ecmwf_z500a_ausnz_26

This system is going to be just epic, especially if these progs are correct. This is an extraordinary burst of cold air, likely to bring severe weather and low level snow to Victoria, NSW, and parts of SA.

We wont even talk about Tasmania, they will have so much snow it may look like New York in a blizzard.

Have a look at these 500 mb temperatures.

ecmwf_t500_ausnz_27

The temperatures that will over Victoria are the same as the temps down in Antarctica, this should give you an indication as to what sort of weather we are going to see next weekend.

It is simply going to be brutal, and this model is completely under doing the rainfall and carnage that is going to come with this, it will snow its balls off right up into the Tablelands and beyond IMO.

And gales, and freezing conditions behind it, so we will see widespread frost as well from here on, any clear nights will be dropping into the negatives quickly.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 1:24pm
"The temperatures that be will over Victoria are the same as the temps down in Antarctica " 

Yesterday at Moonee Valley- colder, Dhasterdley colder Smile
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 7:16pm
Hmmm, the weather man copped the full brunt of it today Ouch

Evening Update, July 12th.

Posted on AnthonyPosted in Premium

Good evening everyone, unfortunately this is not a good evening for myself and my family.

A tree has gone through the house today at around 1 pm, so this update wont contain anything related to weather, other than to say that its likely to be a lot of dusting of snow around.

Screen Shot 2016-07-12 at 6.41.07 PM

The good news is I am safe, and no one else was home.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 6:21pm

South West Vic Weekly Forecast

Weekly Update, issued September 7th

Weather Situation : 

Currently we have two weak surface troughs over the interior, and an upper trough moving into WA from the West. Showers will develop here tonight, however falls will be limited. On Thursday, this upper trough strengthens again and amplifies across Victoria on Friday morning. Widespread heavy rain and thunderstorms will develop in Eastern SA on Thursday night, and extend and intensify in Victoria on Friday. This also extends right up into NSW, and then moves East during Friday and into Saturday. A secondary upper trough with much colder weather moves up also in Victoria late on Sunday. This will bring cold and showery weather to Victoria with local hail and snowfall down to 600 metres. After these two systems go through, a large surface trough develops over inland WA, and this will be fed by a very moist airmass. An upper trough is likely to enhance this system as it gets going, although at this point in time its likely to be too far out to be certain of how strong this will become. Once these two troughs go through things become much clearer for the big system late next week.

Week 1, September 7th – September 14th

Conditions are fine and warm today, as a strong upper trough develops in the Bight

On Thursday night , a very strong upper low brings widespread rain and thunderstorms into Western Vic.

This will move through the state on Friday, with heavy falls likely.

A follow up upper trough on Sunday night brings further showers and hail to Victoria.

Rainfall : 25 – 40 mm

Forecast Confidence :   Very High

Week 2, September 15th – September 22th

Conditions begin to become rapidly unstable in week 2.

A big surface trough develops over SA early on, and then should cut off into a low pressure system.

Widespread thunderstorms are likely to form in this surface trough and move into Victoria.

Later in the week, an upper tough will develop and enhance the surface trough, and rainfall will increase.

Rainfall : 15 – 20 mm.

Week 3, September 23th – September 30th

A continuation of the very active sequence will continue through Week 3.

QLD is likely to see a massive system develop in this week, with a big surface trough likely to intensify.

Moisture will also increase in WA, so this will the last shot of some really good rains for SW WA.

NSW is also likely to see heavy rain this as well, as another ECL possibly develops.

Rainfall :  20 – 30 mm

Forecast Confidence : Medium / High

Week 4, October 1st– October 8th

Things are likely to come to a head in Week 4, with the AAO heading negative, and massive lower pressure likely to develop over Southern Australia in response.

We are likely to see a large upper trough over WA, and this will interact again with moisture from the North.

This scenario means warmer temperatures and strong surface troughs developing in the North of the country.

Rainfall : 10 – 20 mm

Forecast Confidence : Medium 

Notes : Obviously the first two weeks are the targets weeks, what happens with these two weeks will determine the following two weeks downstream of that.

We are moving into a very active period with a lot of things going on, and the weather will change quickly. Hence, I will be updating these pages regularly to give subscribers the best information as it occurs. 

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 7:47pm
NSW covered too, it's either droughts or floods Ouch

Todays Update : My forecasts are now coming home to roost, serious issues ahead.

Good evening all, well we are away and things have not taken long to get going today. We have had rain in SA most of the afternoon, and its now into Western Victoria.

Further afield, a very strong surface trough has now triggered enormous thunderstorms back through Adelaide and surrounds back to the Eyre Peninsula.

Then we have the upper trough way back out South of Ceduna, when this creeps and on this trough tonight it will spawn a huge rain band with these storms.

I am starting to get really worried for NSW too, I will show you why later on.

auswide_irenh1_latest-12

The latest satellite picture is incredible. We have an enormous surface trough that created convection right up in Northern WA, its unbelievable.

It being fed by the moisture you can see in QLD, its feeding in form the NE into this system, and will continue to do so.

The upper trough is the arrow coming up from the SW South of Ceduna.

idr641

The radar is complex, so let me explain it. We have the blue arrow, the mid level trough thats tapped into some moisture and delivered solid rain through Eastern SA today.

The red arrow is the surface trough, its triggered much heavier thunderstorms, and the upper trough that is circled will produce even more thunderstorms when it catches up to it later tonight.

The surface trough line is clearly marked, anything East of this line is full of moisture, anything West of the line is drier air hence no rain.

However when they all squash up to each other later the band will become very big, and very heavy.

ecmwf_slp_precip_nsw_4

Tomorrow morning at 5am will look something like this, I daresay it will be a pretty noisy night by the look of this.

ecmwf_slp_precip_nsw_5

By 11am its likely to look something like this, but a this stage it appears the heaviest rain will stay North of Melbourne, as the system will roll North of us here in Melbourne.

Still, widespread 30 – 40 mm falls are likely for almost all of the state.

Then on Monday, things go haywire. What we thought was good agreement between the models has now become two scenarios, both of them still wet.

ecmwf_z500a_ausnz_20

So EC wants to bring in this very strong upper trough into Victoria on Monday, and notice it separates the colder air and send a shot over into WA.

And then it strengthens the WA part next weekend.

gfs_z500a_ausnz_20

GFS doesn’t bring that trough into Victoria, it stalls it and then focusses on the WA trough.

But still, they both get to the same spot, except EC has delivered extra rain into Victoria.

Here is the EC, getting an nice sized upper trough ready to deliver rain into SA.

ecmwf_z500a_ausnz_33-2

In fact thats bigger than nice sized, thats enough to see a massive system set up in SA.

gfs_z500a_ausnz_30

GFS is the same, so now its all about how much moisture will be available to see what sort of trough sets up next week, and where.

So we need to see what moisture is going to be available for this trough to draw in.

EC looks better tonight, because its starting to see an infeed moving more into SA.

ecmwf_pwat_slp_australia_31

Even if this were right, its a fairly good set up with moisture feeding into the trough, and it would inevitably go into NSW eventually.

ecmwf_tprecip_australia_41-5

If you look at EC rainfall for the 10 days, its much wetter tonight, despite having less than the others, so its coming around to the wetter scenario, and thats exactly what I think will happen.

Now I will show you why I am worried about what lies ahead.

forbes-floods

This is Forbes this afternoon, and the rivers are rising. One of my agents drivers were on the way back from Bundaberg.

So i fear that given we are 30 % ahead of 2010 for subsoil moisture we could have one of the biggest floods in living memory about to unfold.

I hope it wont happen, as we do not need this sort of scenario, however I’m fearful thats inevitable, given what I’m seeing in the next month at least.

gfs_pwat_aus2_29

GFS has this for next Thursday, its very aggressive on moving this moisture South into the trough. here what the rainfall looks like for the 10 days according to GFS.

gfs_tprecip_aus2_41-3

GFS is extremely wet, no matter which way you look at it. Lots of troughs and storms in that forecast, this looks reasonable to me that it may play out similar to this, except its underdoing NSW rainfall.

Then we haven’t looked at the Canadian tonight, for a good reason. Its almost hard to believe what it wants to do next week.

cmc_pwat_mslp_aus_35-1

I don’t think I need to explain this to you guys by now, you can tell that a Precipitable Water value of 50 – 60 mm will not end well. As I said earlier in the week, this would be outstanding for January, let alone early September.

And this is representative of the shifting of the convergence zones, and thats why I showed you the burst of trade winds a few morning ago, because I knew this would be the response.

Because last years monsoon was highly suppressed due to the El Nino, I was so certain this would happen, I have had my forecasts of huge rain since March for that very reason.

And I fear its about to get very real because there is no end in sight, I expect a fine week somewhere in the next few before we get another round of warmer and wetter conditions.

cmc_total_precip_aus_41-3

I will tell you what I don’t know, I don’t know how to use a sewing machine. But let me tell you what I do know, this model does not forecast like this without a good reason.

If you recall the system in March that gave the Eyre Peninsula 150 mm plus, CMC seen it weeks out and why I was so confident of it happening, much to everyones amazement, back when it was a free service.

So even EC has 40 mm or so for NSW, that will be too much, but this is simply top end La Nina stuff.

And, I think everyone now believes me when I say that I can see months ahead what is likely to happen, but this is hardcore extreme weather going on now, and a really big worry.

So lets cross our fingers for the lower end, and some good rains for the Eyre Peninsula, who will finally get some next week when this system is in its development phase.

WA look to be the ones to miss out as this focusses on the Eastern side, I think in about 10 days time a large upper tough will build out West of the state, and that may coincide with a few days out this way.

So thats how it sits tonight, there are now massive storms in SA so this is the focus later tonight and tomorrow morning.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 9:03pm
What ! when ? Confused ..... !!!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 6:14pm
Crikey Shocked these are some systems Ouch

Tonight’s Update : Not many words needed, just a lot of boats and canoes.

Good evening all, hope you all had a great Sunday, and enjoyed some fine weather for a change.

Its all happening, and now we have locked into a period of weather that may become  unprecedented.

There has been no changes this evening, maybe an increase into Victoria, but the flooding is still on the cards in a massive way.

So lets begin by looking at the current set up.

aus_irenh1_latest

As was the case this morning, a lot now going on. I have used the close in shot tonight, to better see whats going on.

The surface trough continues to threaten over QLD, plenty of convection but no trigger as yet, the coldest air is being repelled by the push South of the moisture.

We also see a big surface trough that is really getting going now, and this will develop into a nice mid level trough in the coming days, and head SE.

Down South, we have an upper trough moving up, its right where that small red arrow is.

This will move up tomorrow and trigger a band of rain where the long red arrow is, and it will become slow moving, stretching all the way down into Victoria.

On Tuesday, the band will tilt in the way that the blue arrows shows, stretching down into Central Victoria and bringing a lot of rain there.

So over the next 12 hours we will see a big trough develop in SA and move SE slowly.

ecmwf_z500a_ausnz_11

On Tuesday, as saw this morning, the upper low bombs over SA, and this will mean the band of rain that is over Victoria will also bomb into a surface low pretty quickly.

ecmwf_slp_precip_australia_11

So the low starts to drag the rain band into it, and we should see western Victoria receive further rainfall from this system.

And again, I hate to flog a dead horse, the thing that has changed is the extra warmth and moisture available.

ecmwf_rh500_ausnz_7

This is the moisture available at 500mb on Monday night, and thats a huge increase of the previous weeks. And this is the catalyst that allows these upper troughs to really deepen.

ecmwf_rh500_ausnz_11

On Wednesday, you can see its dragged all of the moisture into the low and back towards Adelaide, so this is going to be a big system.

ecmwf_slp_precip_australia_13-1

Here is what it will look like at the surface, it brings the rain in from NSW and drags it all the way into the low over SW Victoria.

ecmwf_tprecip_nsw_16

So there are no changes to this, here is the rainfall from this Victorian low until Wednesday night. Easterly bias may play a role here, and this whole thing may move East 100 km, but until its underway we wont know.

If this does have an error, that the only way it can go now, further East. Fingers crossed the Eyre Peninsular score something tomorrow and Tuesday before this low sets up.

After that, we will one the best upper patterns I have ever seen.

ecmwf_z500a_ausnz_19-3

So Thursday the second trough moves in, and yet another wants to develop again over WA this time.

There will no stopping all this activity with this sort of madness going on, so further rain in NSW with that second one.

And then further waves on Saturday and next Monday, and the 4th trough may well be the biggest.

The 4th one you may need to sit down because it has to be one of the biggest I have ever witnessed, especially considering its the 4th Wave.

ecmwf_z500a_ausnz_33-3

That is something. In fact that is outrageous, those sort of thickness values in that trough are almost unheard of.

And lets watch its behaviour, it moves NE into the goldfields region with some sort of force.

ecmwf_z500a_ausnz_37

And it does this because it wants to meet its partner in crime, the moisture infeed.

ecmwf_pwat_slp_australia_35-1

I have seen a lot of things, but 4 troughs in 10 days with moisture into each and every one of them? Never. It is just relentless.

So its obvious from here what happens, another huge system will develop as these two collide.

ecmwf_slp_precip_australia_37

With the 3rd low barely out of sight in the Tasman, the next one, which looks to be the best of the lot, develops in Central Australia.

ecmwf_tprecip_australia_41-9

If you want to see what record rainfall looks like, well this is it. I’m still speechless with this EC rainfall map.

Surely thats it for the upgrades now, this has now come on and in full agreement with the other models.

So it appears we have problems, as I feared we would a week ago. Its probably overdoing the enormity of the rain, there may be gaps but this is really mind blowing.

WA and parts of Tasmania still miss out as it focuses East, hopefully this changes after this sequence goes through.

I think tonight I will update the weekly forecasts, I’m usually conservative but I think I will forecast for maximum falls this time so everyone can prepare for worst case scenario.

Any questions, please post them in the comments and I will answer them there for you this evening.

I will have another update tomorrow morning, it should be raining through SA and Victoria, in fact it has already started in Victoria.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 8:36pm
Yes havoc to plan - half my work is weather dependant and you promise people things and then it rains or it doesn't and you have to say something that doesn't sound like an excuse - l mean l could've just become an horse trainer and be done with it ...... now l just say FO you'll see me when you see me (or your horse if l was that trainer)

Anyway this week l'll be happy if it rains - if that's what the above says Wink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 9:20pm
This week looks like a repeat of last week which is alright if a little repetitive Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>