Join up at Crownbet - Click here - Crownbet is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Van Nistelrooy staying home

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Van Nistelrooy staying home
    Posted: 10 May 2007 at 9:43pm
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Crownbet.

Spruiker View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spruiker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2007 at 11:52pm

OH NO!Cry

nod. View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2007 at 12:15am
I don't think he would have got any mares going on results so far.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2007 at 12:16am
Going on that article all seemed good, is this another case of a major stud farm talking the talk and the horse not walking it?
idle hour View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idle hour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2007 at 12:30am
Bare stats from his first crop:

116 mares covered for 84 foals.

From those 84 foals 14 starters, 1 winner, no SW's, $23,000 in stakes as at May 2007 of his first season.

Mare quality high including (believe it or not) Ethereal.

30 lots in the 2006 Premier Sale at Karaka ( 6% of the catalogue) off a $15,000 service fee.

This is a stallion who only raced at 2 and achieved a Timeform rating of 108.

And the winners are??? Coolmore, the standing studs, and those vendors fotunate enough to sell their yearlings at good prices.

The losers??? All the purchasers !!!

Give it a break View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Give it a break Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2007 at 2:56am
This horse was a horror from day 1.

What surprised me most were the people involved here with him.

He failed on nearly every facet of consideration for downunder, not least of all his conformation.

His Timeform rating also fully summed him up.

His yearlings were as poorly constructed as himself.

Great news he's not coming back. The gullible breeders wasted some good mares on him.

GIVE IT A BREAK.
idle hour View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idle hour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2007 at 3:32am
The aspect of the studs involved bothered me too. He stood at Trelawney, in conjunction with Chequers Stud, Curraghmore Stud, Fairdale Stud, Haunui Farm and Pencarrow Stud.

A cynic would say that this group comprised very experienced and knowledgeable stud masters who must have known they had a dud but knew there was a profit to be turned on a second rate son of Storm Cat.

The charitable view would be that aren't all that smart, genuinely thought they had a serious stallion prospect and priced him accordingly.
reng View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2007 at 3:11pm
They did send most of their own good mares to him.  Why waste a season of a good mare if you think he's no chance, unless to convince others to spend up large.
The problem with Opportunity is that it wears overalls and looks like work.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Give it a break Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2007 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by idle hour idle hour wrote:

The aspect of the studs involved bothered me too. He stood at Trelawney, in conjunction with Chequers Stud, Curraghmore Stud, Fairdale Stud, Haunui Farm and Pencarrow Stud.

A cynic would say that this group comprised very experienced and knowledgeable stud masters who must have known they had a dud but knew there was a profit to be turned on a second rate son of Storm Cat.

The charitable view would be that aren't all that smart, genuinely thought they had a serious stallion prospect and priced him accordingly.

Totally agree with your point Idle Hour.

I noted that in most cases they put their second string mares to him, but they still must've considered him worthy of a go.

When looking back at the bloodstock agents who sourced his ugly looking yearlings for clients, I would certainly avoid their services as well.

GIVE IT A BREAK.
reng View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2007 at 8:47pm
I'd love to own their best mares then if you think Ethereal and co are their second stringers :)
The problem with Opportunity is that it wears overalls and looks like work.
Minoru View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minoru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2007 at 10:51pm
Give Me A Break, do you actually inspect stallions before bagging them on conformation?
This horse was a $6mill+ sale topping yearling at Keenland, bought buy the best judge on earth!!
How about giving us a break from your clueless shyte?
Spruiker View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spruiker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2007 at 11:27pm
nod. View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2007 at 12:23am
Originally posted by Minoru Minoru wrote:

Give Me A Break, do you actually inspect stallions before bagging them on conformation?
This horse was a $6mill+ sale topping yearling at Keenland, bought buy the best judge on earth!!
How about giving us a break from your clueless shyte?

I've seen this horse and he and his record would suggest even the best of judges either make the odd decent mistake or that they drink a bit,Hug
Irish Eyes View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Eyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2007 at 12:30am
Minoru, I like ye but are you outside of ye mind?? Dont get me wrong I love the Irish but honestly. Look at these Demi specials

The Green Monkey - $16 Million - Unraced

La Boisselle - $1.5 Million - Murray Bridge winner

Geronimo - $1.05 Million - 1 win 23K

Crackenback - $775K - Beaten 25.2 lengths in barrier trial at Mornington

Sarasota - $850K - 1 win 34K

El Capitan - $675K - Dual Moonee Valley winner!!!!

Lake Tahoe - $500K - Hawkesbury winner

Best judge in the world.....I'd swear on the farms peat you'd be mistaken sonWink

To be sure to be sure
crownie View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crownie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2007 at 4:48am
i always have a laugh at these sales when the crowd all claps when some joker like this bloke 'pays' the big big bucks for a horse.
they bask in the glory and the glamour of the moment and yet no-one takes the time to reflect much on these massive failures.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Give it a break Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2007 at 4:59am
Absolutely right Crownie.

Reminds me of the $1.6m sale of Columbia [Zabeel/Eight Carat]. Rumoured all around town as a crock before he even went through the ring and he never got to the races.

Any half decent judge can see that VAN NISTELROOY is very upright in the shoulder and predominantly short in the rein. Not suited to firm turf racing.

TIMEFORM ignored him. 3 lines only and 108 for trying.

And unfortunately for this horse, he left them like himself. Some very poor judges bought them.

GIVE IT A BREAK.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic