Join up at Crownbet - Click here - Crownbet is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Vale Betty Cuthbert

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horseshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vale Betty Cuthbert
    Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 1:45pm
Olympic athletics champion Betty Cuthbert has died at the age of 79.

RIP Aussie Legend
Those who know don't tell, Those who tell don't know
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Crownbet.

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 2:33pm
Sadly missed .
A champion, at a time when that was so badly needed.

Another MS victim.
WHITE BOOKERS:- Spanish Reef, Bring Me Roses, Grunt, Cliff's Edge, Prairie Fire,   
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 3:13pm
a true champion. Unforgettable the story of her catching the tram to the melbourne olympics for the 100m final. She had her cut lunch and seemed undaunted by the whole thing. Not quite the way it is these days . RIP Betty
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by marble marble wrote:

a true champion. Unforgettable the story of her catching the tram to the melbourne olympics for the 100m final. She had her cut lunch and seemed undaunted by the whole thing. Not quite the way it is these days . RIP Betty

Great story marble, I too remember her so well from my youth, schooling at Carlingford for me her parents had a garden nursery up the road at Ermingtonin the mid fifties, at the football she and team mate Marlene Mathews would sprint up a 100, crowd went mad,Tokyo 64 ,at Randwick with my mates, she wins 400, Yangtze wins CC, backed it, 33 s, my b/ day, how could you forget such a wonderful person. R.I.P. Betty Cuthbert.
cabosanlucas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 6:17pm
a close neighbour a few doors down from where we lived use to race against her as a kid.
bettys humility is what stands out as much as her enormous talent as an athlete. just a lovely person.
i think her 400m time would still qualify for the national team now.

RIP betty. prayers with her family and loved ones.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 6:58pm
Iconic image, head tilted to side, mouth open, arms flailing

Related image
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 7:35pm
Absolute hero of her generation R.I.P Betty
Second in the 2017 TBV Dead Pool Competition
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 8:16pm
RIP a true champion!!!!!!!!

I will quite proudly do a tribute to Miss Cuthbert, on the radio on Saturday and am looking forward to describing her achievements and some stories from her life, including the one about catching the tram to the 100m final.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 9:02pm
an incredible athlete, wonderful character, inspirational lady...met her twice and she just blew me away with her humility and humour...bravely accepted he illness and never complained...

one of our greatest Aussies...should be a State funeral but I'm sure Betty would find that too precious...

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 9:10pm
One of the most memorable photos I've seen is one where Betty is being wheeled around by Raelene Boyle, herself robbed of two Golds by institutionally drugged East Germans, at what I think was the the Sydney Olympics.  The absolute joy on Betty's face was unforgettable.

Maybe someone can find and post the photo.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 9:20pm
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 9:20pm
huge fan of both ladies...legends...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic