Join up at Bet Easy - Click here - Bet Easy is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > Village Administration - Support and Feedback
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Use QUOTE only when absolutely necessary

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mayor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Use QUOTE only when absolutely necessary
    Posted: 10 Mar 2008 at 9:01pm
Hi villagers,

I'm getting complaints about overuse of the "quoting" facility. People are replying to posts by routinely clicking on QUOTE rather than REPLY, even when quoting was not needed. Could I ask you to please use QUOTE only when absolutely necessary for setting the context of your reply. Cheers, Mayor.

Mayor
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

crannypete View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crannypete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2008 at 7:10am
Originally posted by Mayor Mayor wrote:

Hi villagers,

I'm getting complaints about overuse of the "quoting" facility. People are replying to posts by routinely clicking on QUOTE rather than REPLY, even when quoting was not needed. Could I ask you to please use QUOTE only when absolutely necessary for setting the context of your reply. Cheers, Mayor.

hey brother what would be necessary and what would be unnecessary can you pleas give examples on account i dont want to be wrong
Wortel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wortel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2008 at 7:11am
I agree Mr Mayor. I use it sometimes but only for short posts.
Run For Fun View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2008 at 7:23am
The quote facility is important imo, when used appropriately.

You know that I'm responding to a specific query here, however some responses which use the quote facility choose to highlight space-consuming irrelevacies in the original post.

So what's perhaps more important imo is that people edit the post to which they're replying so that the initial post (and subsequent reply) don't contain irrelevancies.
It's hard to soar with eagles...

Cheers
Mayor View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mayor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2008 at 7:58am
Originally posted by crannypete crannypete wrote:

hey brother what would be necessary and what would be unnecessary can you pleas give examples on account i dont want to be wrong

Use it only for replying to a specific post located further back in the thread (like I am here with yours). If you are merely contributing to the general discussion in the thread you don't need to quote anything, just add to the thread by clicking on REPLY.

Runfer's suggestion is excellent, that is to edit the quote (if possible), so you're highlighting the specific point to which you are responding. That would help a lot in maintaining the flow of logic.

Also, there is rarely if ever a need to include whole threads within the quoted section. People don't need to read the whole thread again.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,
Mayor
Mayor
Wortel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wortel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2008 at 8:07am

People don't need to read the whole thread again.

Clap
Mayor View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mayor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2008 at 8:10am
You see, that's also an excellent use of the QUOTE button. Nice editing to highlight the precise point you are responding to...keeping it short and sweet. And I always appreciate some applause, hahaha...
Mayor
Pinevale Lad View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinevale Lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2008 at 5:47pm
Mayor, are you fair dinkum? Now you are telling us how to post!

Do you lose money everyttime someone quotes?
Running Pinevale
Mayor View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mayor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2008 at 6:21pm
Read the first post, "I'm getting complaints about overuse of the 'quoting' facility". To most people, that would mean the community is speaking, not me! In any case, im not telling, I'm asking. Sheeesh, why am I bothering to respond? Wacko
Mayor
Pinevale Lad View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinevale Lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2008 at 7:12am
Who cares about the overuse of quoting. From what i can see, people are using it just fine. The fact that maybe one person complained (I'm guessing it was someone important related to profit for you) is total crap.

If people dont want to read the same posts over and over again then just scroll down and read the new post! f**k, how hard is it? Who is forcing them to read the quotes?

Talk about SHEESH Mayor? When will this joint harden the fu** up?

Edited by Mayor - 13 Mar 2008 at 7:56am
Running Pinevale
Nev_ View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nev_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2008 at 8:34am
Originally posted by Pinevale Lad Pinevale Lad wrote:

When will this joint harden the fu** up?

Is this better?Smile

Of course, I could have deleted all the drivel.Smile
If we are what we eat, then I must be porridge, slow, fat and stodgy
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 10:38am
Don't think the OP ever had much effect.
Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 11:05am

Hi villagers,

I'm getting complaints about overuse of the "quoting" facility. People are replying to posts by routinely clicking on QUOTE rather than REPLY,

wow talk about losers...who in their right mind would complain about such trivial nonsense..?? Confused
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 11:26am
It does get a bit much during petty squabbles that happen in many contested threads where 15 posta are requoted and only 5 posts fit on a full page because of it.
djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 11:54am
I love nothing more than seeing as many quotes within a quote as possible.

What is the record ?

STRIKE WHILST THE IRON IS HOT

reductio ad absurdum

The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 12:00pm
Well it drives me mad & am sure, others, when I see pages full of multi quotes with single line replies & even more so when someone uses them to reply to the very post directly above Ermm
Sometimes there'll be a long article posted followed by the entire quote & a "Thanks, interesting" What a waste of space Angry
Experience is something you gain a few minutes after you could have used it!
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

What is the record ?

I agree and usually try to add to them as much as possible.

Was wondering what the record might be as well. Perhaps a new thread with the purpose of trying to get as many in as possible?
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 12:51pm
I am going to quote every post from now on because I can and if the mods don't like it they can ban me
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 12:53pm
Why would someone complain about a QUOTE. Seriously?
Sorry for being annoying, will try to not use it as I don't wish to offend.
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 12:59pm
Next thing it will be only open one thread a day per person
IT'S OKAY TO SAY NO.
Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

What is the record ?

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by SkyDancer SkyDancer wrote:

Next thing it will be only open one thread a day per person
per "nic" might be more reasonable !
Give peace a chance
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic