Join up at Crownbet - Click here - Crownbet is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > General
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Travel - Holidays
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login


Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Travel - Holidays

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
Message
cabosanlucas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 15 Jun 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 6779
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 9:48am
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

TIGER :-     Webster"s Wish was the handy horse .    Won Cbury, Rdwick ,Rosehill, Kembla 2. many placings in town. Kerry Jordon trained and Cassidy was his rider . They turned me off ownership forever.
Yes the Winnebago was great , had everything =   generator , shower, flush toilet etc.   44 gal waste storage tank so only emptied when in bush . They make it so self sufficient.   I rarely used the van Parks.
Security is everything these days,    There is always a safe area in town where your not disturbing anyone.    Cost wise the Motels are OK as your fuel bill is much less.
You will have a great experience BUT always good to get home lol.


I remember websters wish -- good horse macca. 👍

Back to Top
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Crownbet.


Back to Top
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion
Avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Location: Earth
Status: Offline
Points: 6674
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 9:51am
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

TIGER :-     Webster"s Wish was the handy horse .    Won Cbury, Rdwick ,Rosehill, Kembla 2. many placings in town. Kerry Jordon trained and Cassidy was his rider . They turned me off ownership forever.
Yes the Winnebago was great , had everything =   generator , shower, flush toilet etc.   44 gal waste storage tank so only emptied when in bush . They make it so self sufficient.   I rarely used the van Parks.
Security is everything these days,    There is always a safe area in town where your not disturbing anyone.    Cost wise the Motels are OK as your fuel bill is much less.
You will have a great experience BUT always good to get home lol.


Kerry the likeable kiwi lol, I'd be still filthy for the ride from jimmy to this day...I remember the Jordan's had a rugby league background before taking up the training caper

I think if I was to do a big trip of America, the Winnebago is the way to go, heck I might even get one down the track for another Australia trip
Hidden In Hollywood
Back to Top
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 31 Oct 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 22432
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by TIGER TIGER wrote:

Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

That motel at Eucla is great isnt it, Tiger !!  We wished we could have stayed there a bit longer.  Make sure you take a walk in the sand dunes where the old telegraph station ruins are . 


It's amazing, I walked down to the beach from the motel last time and the sand had covered the telegraph station, Ita a great spot considering its in the middle of nowhere


Thats a shame.  Some of it was still there when I was there .  The cemetary is interesting too, if you are into history.  We arrived there well after dark , due to a flat tyre, and seeing that cross lit up from miles away was like a welcome beacon. Amazing place.
animals before people.
Back to Top
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 21919
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by cabosanlucas cabosanlucas wrote:

Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

TIGER :-     Webster"s Wish was the handy horse .    Won Cbury, Rdwick ,Rosehill, Kembla 2. many placings in town. Kerry Jordon trained and Cassidy was his rider . They turned me off ownership forever.
Yes the Winnebago was great , had everything =   generator , shower, flush toilet etc.   44 gal waste storage tank so only emptied when in bush . They make it so self sufficient.   I rarely used the van Parks.
Security is everything these days,    There is always a safe area in town where your not disturbing anyone.    Cost wise the Motels are OK as your fuel bill is much less.
You will have a great experience BUT always good to get home lol.


I remember websters wish -- good horse macca. 👍


Sadly Webster's Wish had leg problems from day 1.
Jordan 's foreman was his brother Chris ,   he was the former football star. Trains at Doomben now but hasn't had a lot of success.
I had Shane Dye on Web. twice , when he was on fire and he placed in the McKell Cup & won the Winter Cup for his 101 st City win for that 2001 season.      Nice bloke Shane Dye,     Ernie Smith ( Tommy's brother) and Anthony Cummings were Gentlemen too. I liked the way they made a point of meeting new owners and sharing the thrill new owners get from winning....    Jack Denham (grunter ) the horror man of those times.
Kerry Jordan ran out of owners eventually, I fully realise why.
Back to Top
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion
Avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Location: Earth
Status: Offline
Points: 6674
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 12:00am
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Originally posted by TIGER TIGER wrote:

Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

That motel at Eucla is great isnt it, Tiger !!  We wished we could have stayed there a bit longer.  Make sure you take a walk in the sand dunes where the old telegraph station ruins are . 


It's amazing, I walked down to the beach from the motel last time and the sand had covered the telegraph station, Ita a great spot considering its in the middle of nowhere


Thats a shame.  Some of it was still there when I was there .  The cemetary is interesting too, if you are into history.  We arrived there well after dark , due to a flat tyre, and seeing that cross lit up from miles away was like a welcome beacon. Amazing place.


No the wind from the sea blows sand all over it and covers it and within 6 to 7 hours it's visible again, amazing place....I seen the cemetary but didn't venture around lol
Hidden In Hollywood
Back to Top
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 21919
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 11:30am
I often wonder why people don't holiday within Australia . .
Beautiful coastline especially.     I went on a cruise once and jumped ship and flew home.     Boring chit house it was.   Around the Islands , buying the goodies at inflated prices with a brand " made in china "
Caravan / Motor Home is my cup of tea .     I hate flying .
I might be more comfortable if I was in the Cock Pit , or Box Office as it is now known.
Back to Top
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 20 Dec 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 9873
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 11:44am
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

I often wonder why people don't holiday within Australia . .
Beautiful coastline especially.     I went on a cruise once and jumped ship and flew home.     Boring chit house it was.   Around the Islands , buying the goodies at inflated prices with a brand " made in china "
Caravan / Motor Home is my cup of tea .     I hate flying .
I might be more comfortable if I was in the Cock Pit , or Box Office as it is now known.



Have you seen the cost of holidaying in Australia? Much cheaper options overseas and you get the added benefit of actually seeing a different part of the world and experiencing a different culture. Let me know when the exchange rate goes back to USD0.50 and I'll consider holidaying here.
Back to Top
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion
Avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Status: Online
Points: 20275
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 11:50am
Sad story about a couple who spent up big on a Winnebago, for some extended round Australia touring. Threw a going away party for family and friends, then set off on the big adventure, only a kilometre into the trip, they go through a low railway underpass, and leave the entire roof behind, like the lid peeled off a sardine tin. Very sad. A persistent urban myth about travelling around Australia, is it is better to travel anti-clockwise, on the basis that you are travelling on the inside of the circuit, saving ground, and it adds up to a lot of distance. I have heard this more than once, but obviously from people who failed geometry badly. There is actually a credible reason for going anti-clockwise, and it is because the prevailing winds tend to favour it, there being the likelihood of less headwinds to push into, costing fuel, especially in vehicles towing vans.
Back to Top
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 31 Oct 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 22432
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 12:09pm
We have 5 years left on our passport, and want to squeeze as much O/S as we can in that time.  By the time it expires I will be one of those old women you see sitting in the golf buggy getting transferred around the airport, so might have to give it away by then.
Once that happens we will stick to Aust.  We have seen quite a bit of Aust, but there is still a helluva lot more to cover. One place which is next on my list is the Broome and Kununurra areas.
We wont be doing the caravan thing tho.  I think some places we will drive ourselves and others we might go with an organised group, especially up thru the centre.
animals before people.
Back to Top
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion
Avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Status: Online
Points: 20275
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 12:21pm
The actual distance saved by travelling on the "inside" of the "circle", would be less than the length of an average suburban allotment.
Back to Top
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion
Avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Location: Earth
Status: Offline
Points: 6674
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 12:27pm
I must say its always great to see your own backyard before seeing others

Australia is an amazing place with so many good places to see
Hidden In Hollywood
Back to Top
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 31 Oct 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 22432
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 12:33pm
I think you need to see other back yards in order to really appreciate your own.
This last jaunt to Africa was a REAL eye opener for us.  So many poor people living in such unbelievable conditions, and now when someone whinges about things here , I just look at them and think "you have no idea what doing it hard is " .
Even our own indigenous that live rough receive their regular Govnt handouts, and get hospital care etc.  Some parts over there ,,no hand outs at all ,  and if you cant pay for medical treatment, you die. No freebies.  Its an eye opener I can tell you.
Makes you think how lucky we are.
animals before people.
Back to Top
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 21919
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 12:17am
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

I think you need to see other back yards in order to really appreciate your own.
This last jaunt to Africa was a REAL eye opener for us.  So many poor people living in such unbelievable conditions, and now when someone whinges about things here , I just look at them and think "you have no idea what doing it hard is " .
Even our own indigenous that live rough receive their regular Govnt handouts, and get hospital care etc.  Some parts over there ,,no hand outs at all ,  and if you cant pay for medical treatment, you die. No freebies.  Its an eye opener I can tell you.
Makes you think how lucky we are.

   We do take a lot for granted.     Think what a wonderful world if the money went to the welfare of people instead of arms for war .
Back to Top
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 31 Oct 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 22432
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 12:29am
We take so much for granted.    SO much. 
animals before people.
Back to Top
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion
Avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Location: Earth
Status: Offline
Points: 6674
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 12:29am
Agree with that, welfare for every human instead of wars would be amazing but that will never happen, too much money to be made from others misery and suffering
Hidden In Hollywood
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.064 seconds.