Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Travel - Holidays

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 9:48am
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

TIGER :-     Webster"s Wish was the handy horse .    Won Cbury, Rdwick ,Rosehill, Kembla 2. many placings in town. Kerry Jordon trained and Cassidy was his rider . They turned me off ownership forever.
Yes the Winnebago was great , had everything =   generator , shower, flush toilet etc.   44 gal waste storage tank so only emptied when in bush . They make it so self sufficient.   I rarely used the van Parks.
Security is everything these days,    There is always a safe area in town where your not disturbing anyone.    Cost wise the Motels are OK as your fuel bill is much less.
You will have a great experience BUT always good to get home lol.

I remember websters wish -- good horse macca. đź‘Ť

TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 9:51am

TIGER :-     Webster"s Wish was the handy horse .    Won Cbury, Rdwick ,Rosehill, Kembla 2. many placings in town. Kerry Jordon trained and Cassidy was his rider . They turned me off ownership forever.
Yes the Winnebago was great , had everything =   generator , shower, flush toilet etc.   44 gal waste storage tank so only emptied when in bush . They make it so self sufficient.   I rarely used the van Parks.
Security is everything these days,    There is always a safe area in town where your not disturbing anyone.    Cost wise the Motels are OK as your fuel bill is much less.

Kerry the likeable kiwi lol, I'd be still filthy for the ride from jimmy to this day...I remember the Jordan's had a rugby league background before taking up the training caper

I think if I was to do a big trip of America, the Winnebago is the way to go, heck I might even get one down the track for another Australia trip
EAD
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by TIGER TIGER wrote:

Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

That motel at Eucla is great isnt it, Tiger !!  We wished we could have stayed there a bit longer.  Make sure you take a walk in the sand dunes where the old telegraph station ruins are . 

It's amazing, I walked down to the beach from the motel last time and the sand had covered the telegraph station, Ita a great spot considering its in the middle of nowhere

Thats a shame.  Some of it was still there when I was there .  The cemetary is interesting too, if you are into history.  We arrived there well after dark , due to a flat tyre, and seeing that cross lit up from miles away was like a welcome beacon. Amazing place.
animals before people.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by cabosanlucas cabosanlucas wrote:

I remember websters wish -- good horse macca. đź‘Ť

Sadly Webster's Wish had leg problems from day 1.
Jordan 's foreman was his brother Chris ,   he was the former football star. Trains at Doomben now but hasn't had a lot of success.
I had Shane Dye on Web. twice , when he was on fire and he placed in the McKell Cup & won the Winter Cup for his 101 st City win for that 2001 season.      Nice bloke Shane Dye,     Ernie Smith ( Tommy's brother) and Anthony Cummings were Gentlemen too. I liked the way they made a point of meeting new owners and sharing the thrill new owners get from winning....    Jack Denham (grunter ) the horror man of those times.
Kerry Jordan ran out of owners eventually, I fully realise why.
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 12:00am

Originally posted by TIGER TIGER wrote:

That motel at Eucla is great isnt it, Tiger !!  We wished we could have stayed there a bit longer.  Make sure you take a walk in the sand dunes where the old telegraph station ruins are . 

It's amazing, I walked down to the beach from the motel last time and the sand had covered the telegraph station, Ita a great spot considering its in the middle of nowhere

Thats a shame.  Some of it was still there when I was there .  The cemetary is interesting too, if you are into history.  We arrived there well after dark , due to a flat tyre, and seeing that cross lit up from miles away was like a welcome beacon. Amazing place.

No the wind from the sea blows sand all over it and covers it and within 6 to 7 hours it's visible again, amazing place....I seen the cemetary but didn't venture around lol
EAD
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 11:30am
I often wonder why people don't holiday within Australia . .
Beautiful coastline especially.     I went on a cruise once and jumped ship and flew home.     Boring chit house it was.   Around the Islands , buying the goodies at inflated prices with a brand " made in china "
Caravan / Motor Home is my cup of tea .     I hate flying .
I might be more comfortable if I was in the Cock Pit , or Box Office as it is now known.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 11:44am

I often wonder why people don't holiday within Australia . .
Beautiful coastline especially.     I went on a cruise once and jumped ship and flew home.     Boring chit house it was.   Around the Islands , buying the goodies at inflated prices with a brand " made in china "
Caravan / Motor Home is my cup of tea .     I hate flying .
I might be more comfortable if I was in the Cock Pit , or Box Office as it is now known.

Have you seen the cost of holidaying in Australia? Much cheaper options overseas and you get the added benefit of actually seeing a different part of the world and experiencing a different culture. Let me know when the exchange rate goes back to USD0.50 and I'll consider holidaying here.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 11:50am
Sad story about a couple who spent up big on a Winnebago, for some extended round Australia touring. Threw a going away party for family and friends, then set off on the big adventure, only a kilometre into the trip, they go through a low railway underpass, and leave the entire roof behind, like the lid peeled off a sardine tin. Very sad. A persistent urban myth about travelling around Australia, is it is better to travel anti-clockwise, on the basis that you are travelling on the inside of the circuit, saving ground, and it adds up to a lot of distance. I have heard this more than once, but obviously from people who failed geometry badly. There is actually a credible reason for going anti-clockwise, and it is because the prevailing winds tend to favour it, there being the likelihood of less headwinds to push into, costing fuel, especially in vehicles towing vans.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 12:09pm
We have 5 years left on our passport, and want to squeeze as much O/S as we can in that time.  By the time it expires I will be one of those old women you see sitting in the golf buggy getting transferred around the airport, so might have to give it away by then.
Once that happens we will stick to Aust.  We have seen quite a bit of Aust, but there is still a helluva lot more to cover. One place which is next on my list is the Broome and Kununurra areas.
We wont be doing the caravan thing tho.  I think some places we will drive ourselves and others we might go with an organised group, especially up thru the centre.
animals before people.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 12:21pm
The actual distance saved by travelling on the "inside" of the "circle", would be less than the length of an average suburban allotment.
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 12:27pm
I must say its always great to see your own backyard before seeing others

Australia is an amazing place with so many good places to see
EAD
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 12:33pm
I think you need to see other back yards in order to really appreciate your own.
This last jaunt to Africa was a REAL eye opener for us.  So many poor people living in such unbelievable conditions, and now when someone whinges about things here , I just look at them and think "you have no idea what doing it hard is " .
Even our own indigenous that live rough receive their regular Govnt handouts, and get hospital care etc.  Some parts over there ,,no hand outs at all ,  and if you cant pay for medical treatment, you die. No freebies.  Its an eye opener I can tell you.
Makes you think how lucky we are.
animals before people.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 12:17am

I think you need to see other back yards in order to really appreciate your own.
This last jaunt to Africa was a REAL eye opener for us.  So many poor people living in such unbelievable conditions, and now when someone whinges about things here , I just look at them and think "you have no idea what doing it hard is " .
Even our own indigenous that live rough receive their regular Govnt handouts, and get hospital care etc.  Some parts over there ,,no hand outs at all ,  and if you cant pay for medical treatment, you die. No freebies.  Its an eye opener I can tell you.
Makes you think how lucky we are.

We do take a lot for granted.     Think what a wonderful world if the money went to the welfare of people instead of arms for war .
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 12:29am
We take so much for granted.    SO much. 
animals before people.
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 12:29am
Agree with that, welfare for every human instead of wars would be amazing but that will never happen, too much money to be made from others misery and suffering
EAD
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 12:19am
Boy oh boy this thread has died!

I thought I’d take the chance to reinvigorate some enthusiasm!

Four months & counting down for our next huge adventure, fully booked now & waiting for the countdown, June, here we come!

I will be travelling with my beautiful Croatian partner which takes in a revised trip to New York for nine days, followed by a Trans-Atlantic crossing to Southhampton aboard the Queen Mary 2. Upon arrival (via Heathrow) we fly to Croatia, travel by rail to Slovenia (Ljubljana) for a few nights, travel back to Zagreb (Croatia) before heading to Split, followed by Dubrovinik & Montenegro & Santorini & finally Athens,,,,, 5 & half weeks of bliss hopefully!

I won’t be post photos this time round ....

2018 nutted out, 2019 will bring more adventure to the Asian countries, on the agenda Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Phillipines & Thailand, gotta love the warmer temperatures!!!

Bring it on ....... 🙏

Current Stable - Soul Star & Adivinar + Lady Vega
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 1:23am
Great stuff Rosscoe ...    You seem a happy Man, SO do it all while your able .
The years go by FAST and then it's not easy.

I did a lot of Caravanning , Motor Home and used to zip around between Sydney Harbour and Botany Bay with Boats I had.     Top memories.

I often feel like facing the breeze again but reality is ===    Not a good idea.
   Once a Rooster and now , almost a feather duster.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 2:42am
Originally posted by Rosscoe Rosscoe wrote:

Boy oh boy this thread has died!

I thought I’d take the chance to reinvigorate some enthusiasm!

Four months & counting down for our next huge adventure, fully booked now & waiting for the countdown, June, here we come!

I will be travelling with my beautiful Croatian partner which takes in a revised trip to New York for nine days, followed by a Trans-Atlantic crossing to Southhampton aboard the Queen Mary 2. Upon arrival (via Heathrow) we fly to Croatia, travel by rail to Slovenia (Ljubljana) for a few nights, travel back to Zagreb (Croatia) before heading to Split, followed by Dubrovinik & Montenegro & Santorini & finally Athens,,,,, 5 & half weeks of bliss hopefully!

I won’t be post photos this time round ....

2018 nutted out, 2019 will bring more adventure to the Asian countries, on the agenda Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Phillipines & Thailand, gotta love the warmer temperatures!!!

Bring it on ....... 🙏

The calm before the storm Rosscoe. Italy in April/May then US in August. Will post something then.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 11:35am
Yep, sounds wonderful. Go do it while you can.
If I ever get my hip replacement done we are off back to Africa again.  The hip should be soon now I think.  Might have to make Africa 2019 as some places are pretty booked out for this year.  We want to visit Giraffe Manor as a must do, so have to plan ahead. Maybe New Zealand again this year.

animals before people.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 10:58am

Inside world’s most expensive plane fare and what you get as YouTube star shares all

Setting you back a cool $100k for 15 hours in the air, there’s a reason why this seat is the most expensive on any plane in the world.

If you’re kind of done with first class, and have a cool $100k to spend in the air – this seat may well be for you.

Step inside Etihad’s A380 The Residence – a super indulgent suite at the pointy end of the plane, that’s so big US YouTuber Casey Neistat dubbed it as “borderline ridiculous”.

For a cool $A99,500, guests in the world’s most expensive plane seat will live up every lap of luxury available at 38,000 feet.

From a personal butler to a living room with two-seat sofa, a slide-out drinks tray, a spacious bedroom and full bathroom.

With some saying the luxurious suite is “nicer than their homes” the seven minute tour starts by looking at the living area of his three-room suite.

Forget headphones and a tiny TV screen, because upon arrival he was handed an internet voucher, complimentary noise-cancelling headphones, as well as pyjamas, a lounge-wear robe and a signed message from the pilot.

The fully reclined couch also has a footrest panel meaning you have all the leg room you’d ever need. And if you’re wanting a drink without having to move, you’re in luck – because there’s a fridge under the couch that’s stocked throughout the whole flight.

The TV screen, which appears to be bigger than a seat in economy, is set up in both living and bedroom. But the best part would have to be the pure luxury of his own private toilet and shower – which has enough hot water to run for 10 minutes.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-advice/flights/inside-worlds-most-expensive-plane-fare-and-what-you-get-as-youtube-star-shares-all/news-story/6dcafd7097fa120e55a63581c3dfa8bb?utm_source=news.com.au%20%E2%80%94%20Australia%E2%80%99s%20

It was nice and good to try but I would not do it again as it is not worth the $100,000

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 11:17am
These news sites never get the info correct or intentionally exaggerate to draw people in. Can be booked for much less than $100k.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 11:34am
And I would never travel Etihad again, EVER.  Great while things go right but have something go wrong and they just dont want to know.  Cant even deal with someone here .  Have to deal with them in Abu Dhabi.  And the last leg A.D. to Sydney the crew were quite unpleasant.
But anyway, we did make it back to Africa.  Kenya and Tanzania, all the big game parks and the crater, which is totally amazing,  and 4 days in Nairobi.
Who has been where lately ??  Do tell all.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 12:58pm
Nothing of note lately but booking flights for Nth America winter 2020/21 in a few weeks. Not on Etihad.

Edited by Gay3 - 20 Dec 2019 at 3:15pm
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 1:06pm
Nothing of note lately but booking flights for Nth America winter 2020/21 in a few weeks. Not on Etihad. [/QUOTE]

Thats long way to the US via the Middle East....

If going to the US during winter - hopefully its not to the NorthEast. -8 in NJ yesterday and unexpected snow paralyzed the transportation network all over NYC.

Then again coming to OZ during summer is quite challenging as well.
Plenty of tourist on Henley Beach at 7am this morning but we have bushfires now in the Mt Lofty Ranges and it eerily reminds me of Ash Wednesday back in 1983...

Edited by Gay3 - 20 Dec 2019 at 3:15pm
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 1:28pm
Not going via Middle East. But isn’t much longer if your first destination is the east coast nth America. Particularly if that destination ISNT NYC or if you’re not starting from east coast Australia.

Nevertheless, I’m going to Asia briefly first so airline will be either Singapore, Cathay Pacific or Japan Airlines.

As for the weather you’ll need a lot more than that to deter someone from the magic of NYC at Xmas.

Edited by Gay3 - 20 Dec 2019 at 3:17pm
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 1:29pm
Oh and another benefit of flying via Middle East or Asia - you can avoid the cesspool of LAX.
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 2:04pm
I have to agree with you that LAX as a first point of entry to the US is intimidating to say the least.
I haven't flown through that gate for several years as I have been travelling from NJ/NYC through Europe in the last few years. Mostly via Budapest, but I also have gone through Istanbul/Doha/Dubai and this last trip from Kyiv via Zurich and Singapore.

However, if you think NYC is quaint during Xmas then I pass. I spent most of my working career getting awat from that area during the winter period and will continue to do so in retirement. Atlantic City is so much appealing in July that if I miss the Xmas tree at Rockafella Tsentr and the ice skaters in front of the NBC Studios I will give it to you any day! Enjoy!

While we were abandoning meetings these last couple of days around OZ...

Here's what happened at Aqueduct (just around the corner from JFK Airport) yesterday...

The New York Racing Association canceled the Dec. 19 racing program at Aqueduct Racetrack because of extremely low wind chill temperatures currently impacting the New York City metropolitan area.

The National Weather Service forecasts wind chill values between 5 and 15 degrees throughout the day with temperatures in the mid-20s for Thursday.

That's Fahrenheit Tongue

Cheers!

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 2:16pm
Not sure quaint is the word you are looking for there. Sorry to hear you don’t enjoy the place. I’m yet to have a bad day there in several visits. Each to their own I suppose.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 11:35pm
I am not one for big cities, and NY , while interesting, doesnt do much for me.
No one in their right mind would choose to pass thru LAX.   What a nightmare !!!
animals before people.
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 11:17am
Speaking of LAX.... (thanks4coming!)

Severe weather, an internet outage, issues with loading baggage onto flights and a bus fire at a Los Angeles airport further complicated air travel this weekend - just before Xmas.

Three empty passenger buses caught fire at Los Angeles International Airport Saturday night, closing lots and creating chaos in the roadways leading to and from the airport, CNN affiliate KABC reported.
LAX Airport tweeted that a "significant fire emergency" at the airport closed a lot and delayed road traffic.
"It was a big fire, they are propane. That was part of the safety reasons why it was very important for us to evacuate the area and render it safe and create a perimeter," Los Angeles Airport Police Lt. Karla Rodriguez told KABC.
Once the fire was put out, the airport tweeted that traffic surrounding the airport still had heavy backups.
Just a day before the airport warned travelers in a tweet that traffic would "very bad" and told people to consider alternative transit from the airport for the holiday.

Traffic this upcoming week will be bad. Very bad. Consider alternative transit options to and from LAX this holiday, including our expanded #FlyawayBus service, #PublicTransit and #LAX-it. More details on our transit guide: https://t.co/yVuQEYPbAy pic.twitter.com/kKPwnzdo0Z

— LAX Airport (@flyLAXairport) December 21, 2019
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>