Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Trap For Fools

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 7:28am
Doesn't run a place yesterday on a fair track...well might be tad harsh, might of fell in for third
Discohips23 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Discohips23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 8:53am
Bahahahahaha, Ol’ JMac at it again. Last time he got done he got bailed out by DK and ended up flipping pizzas for 6months. Very slow learner. Let’s hope he gets another stint on the sidelines and when I’m down in Warrnambool next May Carnival, me and the boys can ordered a thin crust supreme off him. No anchovies of course.
Mr Grieves View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr Grieves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 6:01pm
What possible reason could a trainer (with a chequered history) have to mislead stewards about what time he was sending a horse to another trainer (also with a chequered history)?  DisapproveConfused
Discohips23 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Discohips23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 10:20pm
Because in the past they got away with it. The amount of times the Stewards have turned up to Ballarat to swab one of Weir’s runners only to find the horse in question is in Warrnambool ( and vice versa ) is incredible. Weir would then get a $200 fine for not lodging a stable return. It was good to see McLean’s runner get scratched. Let’s now hope that the $200 fine has also been scratched and any future runner/runners in question won’t be able to start.
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 4:58pm
Wow
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 4:59pm
Wouldn’t let him run in the Cox Plate. Should have.
Speediskey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 5:00pm
Yeah, decision looks terrible in hindsight.
Heavy10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

He might not of won today if he did, worked out well for connections
jacko1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 5:02pm
Would have been well beaten in the Cox Plate. One of the worst Mackinnons. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 5:14pm
Of course he wouldn’t have won. But he would’ve been more competitive than some.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by Heavy10 Heavy10 wrote:

Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

He might not of won today if he did, worked out well for connections

Not running in the CP meant he ran in the less suitable Cup on the same day over 2500m. That line of thinking doesn’t hold up.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 5:17pm
WA Horses - Mackinnon Stakes Winners: Past 20 Years

Great result for WA :-)

2018: Trap For Fools

2016: Awesome Rock

2009: Scenic Shot

1999: Rogan Josh
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Jamal Jamal wrote:

Congratulations ;    I tipped it EW on the McKinnon thread.

I thought of you & WA.
Kingy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 5:57pm
What a great training performance from our Warrnambool trainer, congrats Jarrod!

TFF has now won 12 of 20 over 2000m.

Horse is so under rated as is the trainer. Massive effort and the bool will be celebrating hard tonight. Well done!
Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 6:07pm
hob knobs at MVRC scratching their heads. 

he's classy enough now 
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

I thought of you & WA.

I'm very happy. I had $20 each way

One for the West Aussie's ☺
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 6:20pm
Old Spice s the sire if Old Money. Old Money was a champion 3 yr old filly - she is the dam of Trap For Fools
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 6:23pm

Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

I thought of you & WA.

I'm very happy. I had $20 each way

One for the West Aussie's ☺

The close up 2nd in the MV Cup in Course Record time was hard to miss , when setting a sizzling pace .....     I was pleased to see him do well for them.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 6:27pm
Old Money was one of my favs back in the day.  Both a Derby and Oaks winner.  Always special.  
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

Old Money was one of my favs back in the day.  Both a Derby and Oaks winner.  Always special.  <div id="UMS_TOOLTIP" style=": ; cursor: pointer; : 2147483647; : transparent; top: -100000px; left: -100000px;">

Yep she won the Oaks and Derby when they were G1s
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 7:20pm
Good to see this horse win a G1, such a tough and honest horse. Hope he goes passed Moonee Valley on gis way home tonight, not good enough for a Cox Plate start? To you I say pfft!

Ok it may have been a less then stellar MacKinnon field but he steal beat the Irish Derby winner and the horse who got nosed out by the one who ran closest to Winx in the Cox Plate, definitely showed the MVRC up.
early4lunch View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote early4lunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 7:48pm
20 to 1.Who are the fools?The punters of course.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 8:03pm
I didnt know the sire of Trap For Fools (Old Money died in 2012)

See article below from.2017..

Evans will salute Old Money if Trap flies
Jay RooneyThe West Australian
Friday, 29 December 2017 8:21AM
Jay Rooney
Geoff Evans and Simone Webster after Trap For Fools won the Towton Cup.
Geoff Evans and Simone Webster after Trap For Fools won the Towton Cup.Picture: Simon Merritt/Western Racepix
A fascination with stayers led to Geoff Evans taking a punt on former star filly Old Money at a sale in Kentucky nine years ago.

The winner of the Group 1 WATC Derby, Group 2 CB Cox Stakes and Group 3 WA Oaks in 2000 was sold to the US by leading WA owner Bob Peters, but had a troubled history at stud.

Despite her issues, Evans jumped at the chance to add to his broodmare band when bloodstock agent Damon Gabbedy told him Old Money was up for sale.

“I was a big fan of Old Money and her brother Old Cobber,” Evans said.

“I was lucky enough to buy her for $US50,000 at the Keeneland sale.

“They really had difficulties with her over there. We brought her back and she was in foal but she lost that foal.”

Old Money left four foals in Australia, including Street Tycoon, who Evans sold to legendary trainer Bart Cummings for $210,000 at a Sydney yearling sale in 2012.

Old Money died in January last year but her penultimate foal, Trap For Fools, is on the verge of giving Evans his first Perth Cup win.

The Lindsey Smith-trained gelding has rocketed to favouritism for Monday’s Group 2 feature at Ascot after a remark-able eight wins from his past nine starts.

Evans is chasing a breakthrough cup win after his mare Free At Last ran a close second to Crown Prosecutor in 2005 and Celtus pulled up sore after running fifth as the favourite in 2004.

“Lindsey probably owes me because he did sneak along the rails with Crown Prosecutor,” Evans said jokingly.

“Free At Last went back to last and came around the entire field.

“Celtus pulled up with a cracked sesamoid after running fifth and Free At Last ran fourth that day, too.

“I’m really looking forward to this Perth Cup with my great mate Lindsey, who stuck by me through thick and thin.”

For all of the highs Evans has celebrated, he has suffered plenty of lows in racing.

They include Free At Last’s dumping from the Melbourne Cup field in 2005 when the Victoria Racing Club committee used its discretionary powers.

And Evans returned to Flemington four years later with the hot favourite for the Group 1 Victoria Derby, Rockferry, who ran fifth and was later thwarted by a serious tendon injury.

“We’ve got unfinished business in Melbourne,” Evans said.

“It’s tough over there, but if anything’s easy it’s not worth doing.

“Free At Last ran second in the Craiglee and got balloted from the Melbourne Cup at the 11th hour.

“The chase is as good as the result at times and it was an enormous chase.

“I’ve always had an interest in stayers and that’s what has inspired me to keep going.”

Trap For Fools is the apple of Evans’ eye. The Poet’s Voice four-year-old has thrived on a heavy workload at Smith’s Casuarina stable and is renowned for his tough, front-running style in his races.

“I think he’s got the Old Money blood in him and the toughness of Old Spice has come through,” Evans said.

“He won’t lie down and we haven’t seen the best of him.”

TOPICS
Racing

THE WEST NETWORK
West Classifieds
The Game
West Video
West Benefits
Airline Ratings
West Travel Club
West Announcements
WestBusiness Events
West Competitions & Puzzles
Education
Quokka
PerthNow
7plus
7travel
Better Homes and Gardens
Marie Claire
New Idea
OUR PARTNERS
Starts at 60
Airtasker
iSeekPlant
HealthEngine
Impulse Screen
SocietyOne
SUBSCRIBE TO
The West Australian Newspaper
The West Email Newsletters
The West Digital Edition
CONNECT WITH US
Send us a message
Contact Us
Frequently Asked Questions
Editorial Policy
Editorial Complaints
Place an ad in the Classifieds
Advertise In The West
Corporate
© The West Australian and Seven West Media (WA). All rights reserved.

Privacy Policy
Terms and Conditions
Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

Good to see this horse win a G1, such a tough and honest horse. Hope he goes passed Moonee Valley on gis way home tonight, not good enough for a Cox Plate start? To you I say pfft!

Ok it may have been a less then stellar MacKinnon field but he steal beat the Irish Derby winner and the horse who got nosed out by the one who ran closest to Winx in the Cox Plate, definitely showed the MVRC up.
I think they did him a favour by banning him from the Cox Plate.
A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.
MJB View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 1:01am
Tough horse. Credit goes to the trainer. I thought the horse was cooked for this prep after he ran that shocker at odds on at the Valley.

Latrobe is clearly the horse to take from the race though. Looking forward to seeing him back down here next year.
Mr Grieves View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Grieves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 1:15am
Well prepared Darren
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 1:20am
Originally posted by MJB MJB wrote:

Tough horse. Credit goes to the trainer. I thought the horse was cooked for this prep after he ran that shocker at odds on at the Valley.

Latrobe is clearly the horse to take from the race though. Looking forward to seeing him back down here next year.

Trap For Fools's grand-sire is Old Spice. His horses were tough as nails. A few did well in the east as well.
Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 10:15am
The Richard Heads at the Mooned Valley race club need to re-assess their ability to read form guides!!!
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 10:55am
Gotta love these tough front running bastards. Just like the old boy from down Tassie way.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Gee Gee Gee Gee wrote:

The Richard Heads at the Mooned Valley race club need to re-assess their ability to read form guides!!!

I’d say if the horse wasn’t involved in a stewards inquiry, it’d have gotten a start.
to the victor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>