Join up at Bet Easy - Click here - Bet Easy is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Run To The Rose G2 1200m

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SYT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Run To The Rose G2 1200m
    Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 1:32pm
THE RUN TO THE ROSE (1200 METRES)

Of $175,000.1st $105,000, 2nd $35,000, 3rd $17,500, 4th $8,750, 5th $3,500, 6th $1,750, 7th $1,750, 8th $1,750, Starter Subsidy $200 GROUP 2
Set Weights plus Penalties, Three-Years-Old, Apprentices can claim.

Track Type: Turf

Field Limit: 18 + 4 EM    NOMINATIONS EXTENDED TO: 23/08/2016 11:00:00 AM

Last 10 Horse Trainer Benchmark
1 1x101x ASTERN John O'Shea 88
2 6221x CELLARMAN Chris Waller 69
3 11x EL DIVINO Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott 88
4 2231 GADFLY Paul Perry 64
5 2x105x GOOD STANDING James Cummings 84
6 13x IMPENDING John O'Shea 72
7 9x12 LEOTIE Henry Dwyer 68
8 4x LILAC LANE Bryce Heys 56
9 210x5 MANOLO BLAHNIQ (NZ) Tony Noonan 75
10 55x12 MEDITERRANEAN Peter & Paul Snowden 73
11 132x830x NIKITAS Chris Waller 79
12 31x256x1 STAR TURN Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes 86
13 3x1442x TELPERION John O'Shea 88
14 114x TESSERA John O'Shea 80
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 3:15pm
SW + P

So what weight would these colts get?
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 3:22pm
Pending the weights, I'm very keen on backing Impending.
Sunline...simply supreme
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 3:33pm
Nice field, if they all accept.

The stable change for Nikitas is noteworthy.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 3:38pm
Wow what a good list of noms. These Sydney 3YO races just keep getting better.

Star Turn and Impending have my taken eye. Both have improved out of sight since last prep.
Astern could be another. The barrier made it near on impossible for him in the Slipper and is otherwise unbeaten. In his latest barrier trial he was ridden differently being snagged back and forced to take a sit before a very strong finish to win the trial. 
Mediterranean for the Snowdens as well has huge potential.
And I've likely still left out the winner. 

I think we have some very good 3YOs this season.

1200m , I'm sticking with Star Turn.

I started with nothing and still have most of it left
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 3:41pm
Interesting that JMac is down to ride ASTERN. Apparently took a while to let down but has come back bigger and stronger (which you'd hope/expect) according to O'Shea. Had a nibble at the $51 for the GR
Kingy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 3:48pm
Gee, hard to see who the fav will be, they're all very capable on their day. Great field of noms tho.
2018 stars - SUNLIGHT, WINX, SANTA ANA LANE, CHAPADA, EDUARDO, DAINTY TESS, QAFILA, WRITTEN BY, EXTRA BRUT, OSBOURNE BULLS, WILD PLANET, ESPAAINYAH & CREATIVITY.

Owns - THE CARD PLAYERS
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

Interesting that JMac is down to ride ASTERN. Apparently took a while to let down but has come back bigger and stronger (which you'd hope/expect) according to O'Shea. Had a nibble at the $51 for the GR

I think he has picked the wrong one.
Sunline...simply supreme
Delta Deel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta Deel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 4:20pm
Very keen Astern, think he could be a star this spring. Star Turn hardest to beat, have backed both in the GR at 21.00 and 51.00 respectively.
https://group1selections.wordpress.com/
Sworn Revenge View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sworn Revenge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by scamanda scamanda wrote:

Wow what a good list of noms. These Sydney 3YO races just keep getting better.

Star Turn and <span style="line-height: 1.4;">Impending have my taken eye. Both have improved out of sight since last prep.</span>
Astern could be another. The barrier made it near on impossible for him in the Slipper and is otherwise unbeaten. In his latest barrier trial he was ridden differently being snagged back and forced to take a sit before a very strong finish to win the trial. 
Mediterranean for the Snowdens as well has huge potential.
And I've likely still left out the winner. 

I think we have some very good 3YOs this season.

1200m , I'm sticking with Star Turn.

Agreed Scamanda. Looks a far better race on depth than the McNeil at Caulfield
It's only called gambling when you lose
Fremz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fremz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 4:34pm
TAB have Astern listed as 'Doubtful' for the GR, seems strange though what else would be its main target? 1400 looks perfect for it and it's trialled sensationally.

I've backed it at 51s also based on it running here.
for those about to punt, we salute you...
The Gooch View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Gooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 4:36pm
Great set of noms! Haven't Godolphin got some depth with their colts...

It's all a matter of price but I like Meditteranean with Impending and Star Turn the big dangers. The chances don't end there. Hoping they all accept!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 4:38pm
JMac pick pProbably based on Astern's trial is my guess.

Weights according to my calcs (56/54 and 1kg Listed win, 2kgs G3, 3kgs G2, 4kgs G1):

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Fremz Fremz wrote:

TAB have Astern listed as 'Doubtful' for the GR, seems strange though what else would be its main target? 1400 looks perfect for it and it's trialled sensationally.

I googled before backing it and it seems the GR is on the agenda. Plans may change after Sat of course. Always a risk. 
Kingy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 4:44pm
No one keen on EL DIVINO? At this stage I'm probably leaning towards Gai's as she'll no doubt have him cherry ripe for this. Any give in the track a major plus.
2018 stars - SUNLIGHT, WINX, SANTA ANA LANE, CHAPADA, EDUARDO, DAINTY TESS, QAFILA, WRITTEN BY, EXTRA BRUT, OSBOURNE BULLS, WILD PLANET, ESPAAINYAH & CREATIVITY.

Owns - THE CARD PLAYERS
Fremz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fremz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 4:51pm
Didn't like El Divino's second trial at all.
SYT View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SYT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 4:51pm

JMac pick pProbably based on Astern's trial is my guess.

Weights according to my calcs (56/54 and 1kg Listed win, 2kgs G3, 3kgs G2, 4kgs G1):

Cheers!
Fremz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fremz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 4:53pm

Originally posted by Fremz Fremz wrote:

I googled before backing it and it seems the GR is on the agenda. Plans may change after Sat of course. Always a risk. 

Yeah I had a good search for info as well and couldn't find anything to say they weren't going there. Seems the logical target.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 5:10pm
Seems we didn't look hard enough. Just found a couple of quotes from O'Shea saying the aim is the Coolmore and he thought Astern was more of a 1200m horse. Zoustar did both, Exosphere tried both so fingers crossed.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 5:12pm
What other 3YO does Godolphin have that is an out and out sprinter?
Astern may be his pick to target the sprints. Run To The Rose, then off to Melbourne? Moir, Manikato, Coolmore, all Group ones. They can't all win the Golden Rose.
But they do have plenty to pick from.

scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 5:13pm
Woops I took too long posting that one 3bm.

Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 5:18pm

Seems we didn't look hard enough. Just found a couple of quotes from O'Shea saying the aim is the Coolmore and he thought Astern was more of a 1200m horse. Zoustar did both, Exosphere tried both so fingers crossed.

I've said for a while he doesn't look anything like a 1400m horse. Look at his Slipper run. Plenty will tell you he had a hard run. I disagree. Sweet Sherry is a good comparison of runs.

Impending is their Golden Rose chance. That said the stable is going horrendous and has been for some time.
Sunline...simply supreme
poczynek View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poczynek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 5:30pm
Rain and more rain forecast for Sydney so actual runners might be small.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Sunline Sunline wrote:

I've said for a while he doesn't look anything like a 1400m horse. Look at his Slipper run. Plenty will tell you he had a hard run. I disagree. Sweet Sherry is a good comparison of runs.

Impending is their Golden Rose chance. That said the stable is going horrendous and has been for some time.

Maturity can help but O'Shea agrees with you Sunline. Astern's problems before the GS were well documented and I'm disregarding that run totally. I'm not a fan of the sire either, and as you say the stable in big races has been rubbish lately. He'll be super keen to rectify that no doubt.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 6:05pm
Everyone's certainly entitled to an opinion, however his sire gets a tick for mine as the leading Australasian 2nd crop sire 2014/15 and 2nd leading 3rd season sire last season.
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 6:06pm
The 3yos look fairly open at this stage.  We get to see which ones have taken the next step since their 2yo campaigns.
Kingy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 7:21pm
Got EL DIVINO going for a nice double now. I know Gai says a lot but she's been very bullish about her colt. Been trialling against the older horses and he's a monster of a horse. Loves the wet. Will do me.

Owns - THE CARD PLAYERS
Kingy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 7:22pm
+ BOWMAN's on so what more could you ask for?

Owns - THE CARD PLAYERS
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Kingy Kingy wrote:

+ BOWMAN's on so what more could you ask for?  

From unowho earlier this year:  "...Bowman is overrated and needs champions to win these days...".  Shocked
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 7:29pm
His last trial was okay iirc Kingy but his trackwork hadn't pleased Bowman until the last between races test on Sat. Will love the wet and the slight weight pull over Astern. Track conditions all important here. Could end up being a small but select field

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic