Join up at Sportsbet - Click here

Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

G1 Randwick Guineas (1600m)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andynr123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: G1 Randwick Guineas (1600m)
    Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 10:10am

1- ROYAL RANDWICK GUINEAS (1600 METRES)

Of $500000 and $3300 trophies. 1st $300000 and trophies of $2500 to owner $400 to trainer $400 to jockey, 2nd $100000, 3rd $50000, 4th $25000, 5th $10000, 6th $5000, 7th $5000, 8th $5000.

Starter Subsidy: $200 for non-prize earning runners.

For Three-Years-Old. Set Weights. (GROUP 1).

No Allowances for apprentices. Field Limit: 16 + 4 EM

NoHorseTrainerHandicapper
Rating
1ABSOLUTELYAWESOME (NZ)Michael Moroney
2CHULA VISTAAnthony Cummings70
3GOLDSTONEBart Cummings74
4ILOVETHISCITYGrahame Begg102
5LIGHT BRIGADEGai Waterhouse68
6MASQUERADERDavid Payne94
7PRAECIDO (NZ)David Payne92
8PRESSDAYChris Waller99
9RETRIEVEPeter Snowden99
10ROADTRAINTony Vasil
11SHOOTOFF (NZ)Graeme Rogerson69
12SKILLEDPeter Snowden98
13SLOW THE FLOWMatthew Smith75
14TOP DROPGerald Ryan85
Sponsored Links
Click here to grab your bonuses when you join up with Sportsbet.

Slammington View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slammington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 10:14am

This race should not be one week after the Flemington Australian Guineas. The noms have definitely suffered as a result. Disappointing.

andynr123 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andynr123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 10:15am
Better than them being on the same day last year - and it is the only way it works. When else could they ran the Randwick Guineas?
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 10:19am
It is still a nice race. Any chance Pressday can regain a bit of form?
correctweight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote correctweight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Slammington Slammington wrote:

This race should not be one week after the Flemington Australian Guineas. The noms have definitely suffered as a result. Disappointing.

Don't see why it would have suffered. The runners here have aimed for this and the ones last week would have aimed for last week.

Pretty decent field here.
VPI View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VPI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 10:49am
Originally posted by saintly96 saintly96 wrote:

It is still a nice race. Any chance Pressday can regain a bit of form?
Waller reckons he's sorted out his issues. I wasn't that impressed with his trial; he's a colt.
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 10:52am
no More Strawberries
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 10:56am
I think Ilovethiscity wins again. He was very powerful at the end of the 1400m and should be seasoned and ready for a Randwick mile against his own age group. It's no certainty though as he failed in the Caulfield Guineas but this time in he's a bigger and better horse and off a perfect prep.

Pressday and Masquerader have the ability to test him but both are in a sport of bother at present, whereas he is firing on all cylinders.

Retrieve is my horse for the autumn and he'll charge home again with the Rosehill Guineas his first serious chance to win this prep. Praecido should also finish strong.
Sunline...simply supreme
questions View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Slammington Slammington wrote:

i dont see how it has suffered, if anything the australian gunineas has suffered because of the success of this race.

this is a lot better field than the caulfield guineas. i dont think snowden has bullbars anywhere near retireve and skilled. 

it will be the same trifecta as two weeks ago. but this time i think retrieve will be collecting the top prize.

no one has talked up a triple crown victory but i reckon he can do it. 
"it's not gambling if you're absolutely sure you're gonna win" Barney Stinson
questions View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Sunline Sunline wrote:

I think Ilovethiscity wins again. He was very powerful at the end of the 1400m and should be seasoned and ready for a Randwick mile against his own age group. It's no certainty though as he failed in the Caulfield Guineas but this time in he's a bigger and better horse and off a perfect prep.

Pressday and Masquerader have the ability to test him but both are in a sport of bother at present, whereas he is firing on all cylinders.

Retrieve is my horse for the autumn and he'll charge home again with the Rosehill Guineas his first serious chance to win this prep. Praecido should also finish strong.

the reason i would be keen on ilovethiscity is to remember his run after the golden rose. no doubt he should of won the golden rose and then they stepped him up to 1600m in the spring stakes and he put in an amazing performance to walk around them and win. only horse to make ground all day. 

the caulfield guineas can be difficult for sydney horses. caulfield is confusing with the hill at the 1000m and the tight final turn into a shortish straight. warick farm can have the same effect on horses but atleast they are heading the correct direction.

still i prefer retireve
"it's not gambling if you're absolutely sure you're gonna win" Barney Stinson
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 11:21am
Some good points. We agree on those two but I still think Retrieve will be dour second up and finish like the Rosehill Guineas winner in a fortnight.

Look at More Strawberries second up run on Saturday. She's being trained for an Oaks and already looking for a trip - very dour.

Ilovethiscity has so much turn of foot he'll probably put the race to bed early in the straight with his tactical speed. But the Randwick mile is a tough one which will suit Retrieve so I expect him to run a place.
Sunline...simply supreme
VPI View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VPI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 11:24am
Skilled and ILTC were the best the other day.
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 11:25am
Bossy is very upbeat about ABSOLUTELYAWESOME. He came up to Sydney to trial ILOVETHISCITY a month ago for Begg, and said on Sun that he thinks it is the danger to his mount
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 11:28am
If he had a choice, he'd take Ilovethiccity in a heartbeat. He wasn't willing to come up sooner so they stuck with Avdulla who could commit. Good on them for sticking with him.
Sunline...simply supreme
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 11:32am
Turned out serendipitous for him, picking up Sat winning ride by sticking
andynr123 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andynr123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 11:33am

Wonder if More Strawberries may be headed for a break now?

scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 11:33am
If it was Randwick I'd say Skilled for sure.
Warwick Farm isn't his go though, even though he was trained at the track.

The barrier draw will be the thing that steers me.
If Skilled draws where he can lead, he's a big chance. ( Sire and Champagne runs??? )
Otherwise it's just a case of picking between ILTC and Retrieve.
Then throw in Praecido and Skilled for the first 4.

As for the triple crown? Retrieve is the only one worth considering. Praecido his thorn in the side.

Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 11:39am
Shyte, I forgot this was run at Warwick Farm. Doesn't hurt Ilovethiscity, should suit horses traiend there but, agreed, not sure Retrieve and Skilled will benefit as opposed to Randwick. So hard to make ground over 1400m at Warwick Farm.

Surely More Strawberries kicks on this prep. She was just dour on Saturday I thought. She's the one for the Oaks. Class, quality and stamina on the dam side.
Sunline...simply supreme
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 11:42am
More Strawberries looked to need of further than 1400m on Sat. She cannot control races less than a mile now, and is vulnerable giving a start. The 1500m in a fortnight should determine her immediate future, as long as all is well with her
andynr123 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andynr123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 11:43am
Well...they should ask Gai Waterhouse why More Strawberries isn't going here, seeing as they told stewards on Saturday she was.

scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 11:47am
That's why I said the barrier draw Sunline. The 1400m is an easy run with just one turn. But the 1600m has two turns, the first being very crucial to a horses chances.
Sure to have plenty of pace on.
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 11:47am
That was why I said all being well, they said they would go to the Guineas, and would inform stewards should she be amiss and not go there
VPI View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VPI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 11:49am
Unless he gets a really bad draw Skilled will be ahead of ILTC in the run.
princerubiton View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princerubiton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 11:51am

Yeah I couldn't have a bet in this as the fav picks himself. The obvious is Ilovethiscity to take this out then Retrieve to take out the Rosehill Guineas, but stranger things have happened.

VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 11:57am
First up this is a good field.

ILTC deserves to be favourite and should be in the finish.

The Snowden pair are right in it and I know he will probably go to the derby but I think Retrieve will make a very nice miler/2000m horse, just a pity he will be doing that in Dubai after this season.

I think the two from Melbourne add interest and Absolutelyawesome is right in it.

And I know it may look like she has not come up but I will give the filly Slow The Flow another try against the males.

All in all should be a good race.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
John Anthony View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Anthony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 12:18pm
Skilled for mine - 3 wide the trip in the hobartville. 
Diesel View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 12:35pm
If Waller can get Danleigh to bounce back the way he did, Pressday has to be a show
D.OLIVER 2 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D.OLIVER 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 12:37pm
Ilovethiscity wasn't even fully fit last start and still went past them like they were shot ducks, with even luck and a good barrier Mr Avdulla will hook him out and fly straight past them again.
The true milers should again stand up here, skilled and masquerader to fill the placings with Bosses mount the unknown.
I just won the Melbourne cup...
Wortel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wortel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 12:38pm
Just have to admit this crop isn't that good.

ILTC could win this race beating this weak lot and I still wouldn't rate him.

Retrieve it might be too short for but he's the only decent horse here.
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 12:54pm
I'd argue that ILTC is genuine Group 1 material. Cracking type too.
Sunline...simply supreme
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic