Join up at Bet Easy - Click here - Bet Easy is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > Village Administration - Support and Feedback
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Who wants this place cleaned up?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VSP. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who wants this place cleaned up?
    Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 1:38am
It seems to me that the Village has far too many junk threads and far too many unacceptable posts at present.
Surely it is possible to put a point of view across without every second word being a 4 letter one - and surely its possible for folks to hold different views without resorting to abusive language?
Do people think there should be a clean up in the Village?

Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

jazzman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 1:41am

I reckon it's OK at the moment ... everyone happy to speak their minds. I do agree the language is a disgrace at times, that should change. The mods should decide anyone who finds a way around the banning of the "f" word (for example putting spaces between letters and crap like that) could be warned and then removed if they persist. All in all though, it's not too bad a place is it?

Istidaad kicking strongly, he's 2 lengths clear, Crawl gets out from a well back and old Mustard is grinding home... Hang on, Treasury Notes gets out from the back and she'll blouse them all!
Xolento View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xolento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 1:47am
http://www.horseracingaustralia.hl.com.au/New%20Archives/2008/Spring/dramaqueens.html
jazzman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 1:50am
Originally posted by Xolento Xolento wrote:

http://www.horseracingaustralia.hl.com.au/New%20Archives/2008/Spring/dramaqueens.html

Pretty fair aticle lol

It is a different kind of world in here at times
Istidaad kicking strongly, he's 2 lengths clear, Crawl gets out from a well back and old Mustard is grinding home... Hang on, Treasury Notes gets out from the back and she'll blouse them all!
VSP. View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VSP. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 1:59am
Originally posted by jazzman jazzman wrote:

I reckon it's OK at the moment ... everyone happy to speak their minds. I do agree the language is a disgrace at times, that should change. ...All in all though, it's not too bad a place is it?

I think its a fabulous place - what I'm getting at is that it is a 'public place' and therefore language should be tempered slightly more than if a group of people are enjoying a rowdy night at the pub.
Also people have a right to express opinions and to agree / disagree with others without a personally abusive attack for their trouble - the abusive responses ultimately stifle further input, particularly from newer members. Everyone should be encouraged to contribute, not intimidated out of a conversation.
All in all its a fabulous forum, I just think it needs a bit of a clean up at present and want to know if others agree so that everyone can enjoy the place.
jazzman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 2:02am
Originally posted by VSP. VSP. wrote:

Originally posted by jazzman jazzman wrote:

I reckon it's OK at the moment ... everyone happy to speak their minds. I do agree the language is a disgrace at times, that should change. ...All in all though, it's not too bad a place is it?

I think its a fabulous place - what I'm getting at is that it is a 'public place' and therefore language should be tempered slightly more than if a group of people are enjoying a rowdy night at the pub.
Also people have a right to express opinions and to agree / disagree with others without a personally abusive attack for their trouble - the abusive responses ultimately stifle further input, particularly from newer members. Everyone should be encouraged to contribute, not intimidated out of a conversation.
All in all its a fabulous forum, I just think it needs a bit of a clean up at present and want to know if others agree so that everyone can enjoy the place.

Well I agree with you 100 per cent. It is a great place, but you're right there are a couple of contributors who go too far when it comes to slander of other members from time to time. Then again, you're never going to be able to keep online forums 100 per cent clean, so it's a tricky one. 
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 2:03am
References to mothers Dildos etc are just a touch out of line
Crash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 2:06am
Bring back the biff  Clap
jazzman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jazzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 2:06am
Yeah and I did read earlier about somebody and somebody else's girlfriend in the middle of a racing argument ... a lot of it is a bit below the belt.
freddofrog View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote freddofrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 2:59am
I hope saintly has read this thread.

The mayor should be banning those who take the cowardly approach and attack peoples partners families or the like. Saintly is a bully and a coward.
waggamick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote waggamick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 3:09am
A great place.
You get to 'know' other contributors over a period of time.
As far as swearing goes its a bit like being at the pub with your mates or out on the golf course...if the swearing is in context a little passion doesn't go astray.
Personal attacks are out of order but seem to be reserved to a couple of contributors who resort to this when a logical response is beyond  them.
For all the posts that are offered on a huge variety of topics I would say the % that offend is really small.

The Dude Abides
jazzman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jazzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 3:12am
Originally posted by waggamick waggamick wrote:

A great place.
You get to 'know' other contributors over a period of time.
As far as swearing goes its a bit like being at the pub with your mates or out on the golf course...if the swearing is in context a little passion doesn't go astray.
Personal attacks are out of order but seem to be reserved to a couple of contributors who resort to this when a logical response is beyond  them.
For all the posts that are offered on a huge variety of topics I would say the % that offend is really small.

That is a fair call and it all comes back to the fact that you're probably never going to have a totally clean racing forum. A totally clean racing forum is probably as likely to be found as another premiership trophy other than 1966 in St Kilda's cabinet. All in all, this is a pretty good place.
recklessenemy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote recklessenemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 8:08pm
Oh for goodness (f**ks) sake. Grow up prudes. Who the hell are any of you to determine what someone should and shouldnt say and how they should express themselves? Who says when something is or isnt offensive? You guys? What makes anyone the judge of expression? Its a place of free speech not of morality. Someone is not more "right" in regards to any issue. How someone could be offended by an internet post is beyond me. Maybe a shade of severe insecurity or immaturity has snuck into some wannabe intellects lack of brain matter? Talk horses, not HOW someone should talk about horses.
Run For Fun View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 8:25pm
Sorry reckless, but maye you could you explain why someone such as yourself has a need to use the F-word every time you post on TBV?

It's hard to soar with eagles...

Cheers
Relampago View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Relampago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 8:26pm
his therapist told him to express himself every chance he gets...LOLLOLLOL
Daintree Duke Fan Club President!!! RIP!!!

Melbourne Autumn Tipping Champion 2009!
Melbourne Spring Tipping Champion 2009!
jazzman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jazzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by recklessenemy recklessenemy wrote:

Oh for goodness (f**ks) sake. Grow up prudes. Who the hell are any of you to determine what someone should and shouldnt say and how they should express themselves? Who says when something is or isnt offensive? You guys? What makes anyone the judge of expression? Its a place of free speech not of morality. Someone is not more "right" in regards to any issue. How someone could be offended by an internet post is beyond me. Maybe a shade of severe insecurity or immaturity has snuck into some wannabe intellects lack of brain matter? Talk horses, not HOW someone should talk about horses.

Free speech is fine, but there is a line in any domain. The old "freedom of speech" argument doesn't always stand up. Are people "free" to be racist? Are people "free" to be slanderous? The answer to both those questions is quite simply, no. This is fair thread.
octavius View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octavius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 8:45pm
Rubbish Threads should simply be removed.

Is it just me or is the Mayor not around as much lately?

Whoever the moderators are nowadays need to act quicker to remove this school yard stuff.

Jolls View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jolls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 8:49pm
I thought VSP is a mod? Isnt it her job to clean it up?
Season 2012 = 102 Years since Collingwood has beaten Carlton in a Grand Final.
Liar Liar View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Liar  Liar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 8:53pm
ffs.

im  lucky  you  lot  speak  a  different  version  of  english  ..  i  dont  understand  most  of  the  insults  so  i  dont  give a  phuck..

anyway  only  a  tool  could  take  offense  at  my  innocent  postings..
Slim Pickens View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Slim Pickens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by recklessenemy recklessenemy wrote:

It's called Democracy and it works like this.... Majority rules, and believe it or not, it's passed the test of time.

You See Reckless, life is not what revolves around your head but what revolves around all our heads, and fortunately, most people on here, realise that, and most people ( i hope) would understand that the internet is no different to any other form of communication going around, letters, face to face, phone calls, emails, carrier pigeon etc.etc. and i'll bet my bottom dollar most people adhere to "normal behaviour" using those forms of communication.

Now whilst i'll agree with you, re free speech and expression, i don't see any reasons whatsoever, to disregard the morality issue, and don't give me the anonymity bullsh*t excuse, cos one thing i can tell you is, behind every computer screen is a human being, with feelings and emotions.

somebody once said... if you have to resort to foul language and abuse to get your point across, then you have failed miserably to prove your point, in fact the only thing you have proved is 'the education you missed out on".

Free Speech, self expression, tolerance ,understanding, good debate, fun and frivolity, and backing winners, BRING IT ON!!

Who says i'm dumb?
Crash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by Liar  Liar Liar Liar wrote:

ffs.

im  lucky  you  lot  speak  a  different  version  of  english  ..  i  dont  understand  most  of  the  insults  so  i  dont  give a  phuck..

You should be the first to go

Didn't you kill the 121 site with your vulgar  Laylow21
Liar Liar View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liar  Liar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 8:57pm
on  the  contrary  slim  .. i feel  that  anyone  who seriously  gets  upset  or  even  offended  by  what  some  faceless  stranger  on  an  internet  forum  says  is  in  need  of  a  phychiatrist..
well_rated View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote well_rated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 8:57pm
I think its fine as it is.
Put it against other racing forums and its by far the best.
Sure at times people have a go at each other, that happens because we all see things in our own way. Just have a look at the Clare Lindop thread.

Racing & Sports at the moment can't have 1 single thread without mindless fighting. the links of Camel56, Pinkline Jones, Belle Flight I'm sure just use it to bully their way through the internet. They're even fighting in the time-lapse photography thread.
Liar Liar View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Liar  Liar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by Crash Crash wrote:

ffs.

You should be the first to go

Didn't you kill the 121 site with your vulgar  Laylow21

is  there  a  doctor  in  the  house...?
Fine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 8:59pm
I think a hard line should be taken against people who indulge in gratuitous personal attacks. It should be a three strikes and your'e out rule. First two times, you're banned for a brief period, then you're out. This doesn't work against vigorous and passionate debate. It supports such debates by allowing people to speak their minds without being personally abused. If you can't put forward an argument without using personal abuse, then you really aren't worth listening to.
Liar Liar View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Liar  Liar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 9:00pm
i  agree  with  fine always  worth  listening  to  imo..
jazzman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jazzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Liar Liar Liar Liar wrote:

on  the  contrary  slim  .. i feel  that  anyone  who seriously  gets  upset  or  even  offended  by  what  some  faceless  stranger  on  an  internet  forum  says  is  in  need  of  a  phychiatrist..

I'm not sure what a phychiatrist..  is ...

jazzman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jazzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 9:09pm
I agree with Fine too, but Liar Liar you just said before that anyone who takes insult to being called something on a forum is a lunatic. So you don't agree with what he's saying at all.
Slim Pickens View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Slim Pickens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 9:10pm

Liar Liar i have no doubt at all that a lot of people on here are in need of a psychiatrist, at times myself included Wink
Who says i'm dumb?
VSP. View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VSP. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by Jolls Jolls wrote:

I thought VSP is a mod? Isnt it her job to clean it up?

Jolls - that is exactly why I am asking if its what people want.
I've barely touched a thread in this place to date because the Mayor has always had a 'freedom of speech' policy - but he used to police the place regularly and remove all the gratuitous abuse.
For whatever reason he is now virtually absent and with no clean up there is an enormous amount of swearing and trash lying around the forum that isnt removed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic