Join up at Crownbet - Click here - Crownbet is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Top Earners of All Time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2014 at 1:56pm
What a win. They could've gone another 800m no way any of them are getting past him. Too much guts, too much determination.
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Crownbet.

Pardon_My_Dust View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2014 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Originally posted by Pardon_My_Dust Pardon_My_Dust wrote:

Originally posted by Ernest Ernest wrote:

Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

I would even concede that 2000m on the big tracks saw Sunline out ... she was certainly at her best at a mile (btw she did beat Diatribe in that Turnbull Stakes, who won the caulfield Cup next start).

Nobody is bagging Sunline for being 10/10 in New Zealand or 7/8 against other fillies and mares in Australia.  Indeed, such statistics are evidence of her extraordinary consistency and durability - ironically, characteristics that her supposed fans want to downplay in an effort to pass off various defeats she suffered as being down to be past some mythical "peak" or being "tired".  The fact is, as Fairway showed, as Shogun Lodge showed, as Adam showed, Sunline was beaten in almost every preparation by one or more quality, male horses.  Northerly, in fact, by beating Sunline, did what  others before him had done.  This is what Sunline fans cannot seem to understand.  Being beaten by Northerly didn't require some drop from her "peak".

What's more, when supposedly at her "peak" (c. 2000), she was defeated by Fairway (the reigning AJC Derby winner) in the Turnbull, whereas when she was supposedly past her peak, she defeated Universal Prince (the reigning AJC Derby winner) in the 2001 edition!  And if you're impressed that she beat Diatribe by a length in the 2000 Turnbull because he went onto win the Caulfield Cup, how impressed are you that in the 2001 Turnbull she beat Sky Heights by almost five lengths and he went onto be beaten a half-head in the Caulfield Cup?

Ernest, How do you compare, Shogun Lodge, Fairway and Universal Prince with Mr Trickster and Freemason ?

Djebel, how do you compare winning three times as opposed to coming second three times?

I am not sure I understand your question Pardon My Dust.

Winning what 3 times and beating who 3 times  compared to running 2nds to who and in what ?

You'll have to explain your question to me.

I got the feeling you were suggesting Northerly lost to inferior horses and therefore was the lesser horse. I was trying to point out that the fact he beat Sunline 3 times out of 3 is a better pointer as to who was the better horse. If I misunderstood your post I take that back.
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Fairest One Fairest One wrote:

What would be an interesting exercise one day would be if someone could work out how much prizemoney hroses like Phar Lap would have earnt if he won the races he did in his time today.

I am late to the party ... again.

I only just found this thread and I'd just like to readdress the original question

Firstly, that has already been done by Dr.Graeme Putt in the the Feb 2006 edition of Racetrack magazine and he figured that Phar Lap would have earned $15,761,758 by 2006 standards. 

But there is no right answer.  There are just way too many variables to give anything more than a ball park figure.

For example more than a third of Carbine's stake winnings came from one race - the 1890 Melbourne Cup.  It was worth a fabulous £10,230 to the winner and explains why Carbine was able to hold his record for more than 30 years.  The Victoria Derby was worth £1490 to the winner, around 14.5% of what the Cup was worth.  The Melbourne Sks (Mackinnon) Carbine won before the Cup was only worth £502 to the winner - less than 5% of what the Cup was worth

This seasons Cup was worth $3,800,000 to the winner and the Derby  $917,000 - around 24% of what the Cup was worth.  The Mackinnon was worth $602,500 to the winner  - 15.8% of what the Cup was worth.

So there is no proportion sustained in the staking of races.

Phar Lap's Cup was worth less to the winner than Carbine's Cup - 40 years later -  but the value of the Derby had tripled and the value of the Mackinnon had doubled.

If we simply use today's values then we have two major problems -

1.  The value and status of races change dramatically.  The Cox Plate was a very good race in 1930 but nothing like the race it is today, certainly no better than races like the Caulfield Stakes, the Mackinnon or even the CB Fisher Plate (now called the QE Sks).  It was a good race because of where it sat on the calendar, not because of its stake money.  In 1930 it was worth  £500 to the winner, less than the Mackinnon (£525) and nothing what the Craven Plate at Randwick was worth (£1830).  This season the Cox Plate was worth $1,850,000 to the winner

2.  Many races Phar Lap won no longer exist and if they do they have been down graded.  The Craven Plate is a good example, once one of the richest WFA race in Sydney, now a Group 3 race.  Likewise the AJC St Leger, now extinct was worth £2,478 to the winner when Phar Lap won it.  That is almost five times the value of his 1930 Cox Plate !

And there is another issue.  Race money is at the mercy of the economy.  Carbine's Cup was won at the end of an economic boom that came crashing down in the early 1890s.  His cup was worth  £10,230 to the winner but within five years the Cup was only worth £2917 to the winner. 

Phar Lap raced at a time when stakemoney was in free fall. 

He won three Craven Plates.  In 1929 he won £2205 in the Craven , in 1930 he won £1830  and by 1931 his win was only worth £940.

So converting historical stake money to modern day equivalents is a very dodgy business and best avoided. 

Perhaps the best we can do is use the Australian Bureau of Statistics index figures to convert the value of Phar Lap's earnings into something like today's values.  Effectively this measures the 'buying power of the currency'.

Phar Lap's stakes winnings of $162,900 in 1931 has the same buying power in 2012 as $6,631,407

Grinnersawinner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grinnersawinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Tontonan Tontonan wrote:

Originally posted by Fairest One Fairest One wrote:

What would be an interesting exercise one day would be if someone could work out how much prizemoney hroses like Phar Lap would have earnt if he won the races he did in his time today.

I am late to the party ... again.

I only just found this thread and I'd just like to readdress the original question

Firstly, that has already been done by Dr.Graeme Putt in the the Feb 2006 edition of Racetrack magazine and he figured that Phar Lap would have earned $15,761,758 by 2006 standards. 

But there is no right answer.  There are just way too many variables to give anything more than a ball park figure.

For example more than a third of Carbine's stake winnings came from one race - the 1890 Melbourne Cup.  It was worth a fabulous £10,230 to the winner and explains why Carbine was able to hold his record for more than 30 years.  The Victoria Derby was worth £1490 to the winner, around 14.5% of what the Cup was worth.  The Melbourne Sks (Mackinnon) Carbine won before the Cup was only worth £502 to the winner - less than 5% of what the Cup was worth

This seasons Cup was worth $3,800,000 to the winner and the Derby  $917,000 - around 24% of what the Cup was worth.  The Mackinnon was worth $602,500 to the winner  - 15.8% of what the Cup was worth.

So there is no proportion sustained in the staking of races.

Phar Lap's Cup was worth less to the winner than Carbine's Cup - 40 years later -  but the value of the Derby had tripled and the value of the Mackinnon had doubled.

If we simply use today's values then we have two major problems -

1.  The value and status of races change dramatically.  The Cox Plate was a very good race in 1930 but nothing like the race it is today, certainly no better than races like the Caulfield Stakes, the Mackinnon or even the CB Fisher Plate (now called the QE Sks).  It was a good race because of where it sat on the calendar, not because of its stake money.  In 1930 it was worth  £500 to the winner, less than the Mackinnon (£525) and nothing what the Craven Plate at Randwick was worth (£1830).  This season the Cox Plate was worth $1,850,000 to the winner

2.  Many races Phar Lap won no longer exist and if they do they have been down graded.  The Craven Plate is a good example, once one of the richest WFA race in Sydney, now a Group 3 race.  Likewise the AJC St Leger, now extinct was worth £2,478 to the winner when Phar Lap won it.  That is almost five times the value of his 1930 Cox Plate !

And there is another issue.  Race money is at the mercy of the economy.  Carbine's Cup was won at the end of an economic boom that came crashing down in the early 1890s.  His cup was worth  £10,230 to the winner but within five years the Cup was only worth £2917 to the winner. 

Phar Lap raced at a time when stakemoney was in free fall. 

He won three Craven Plates.  In 1929 he won £2205 in the Craven , in 1930 he won £1830  and by 1931 his win was only worth £940.

So converting historical stake money to modern day equivalents is a very dodgy business and best avoided. 

Perhaps the best we can do is use the Australian Bureau of Statistics index figures to convert the value of Phar Lap's earnings into something like today's values.  Effectively this measures the 'buying power of the currency'.

Phar Lap's stakes winnings of $162,900 in 1931 has the same buying power in 2012 as $6,631,407

But the 2205 in 1929 has a different buying power to the 940 in 1931. So then why use 2205 earned in 1929 at the 1931 indexed rates.

Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 7:15pm
I hope you didn't spend too long thinking about that Grinner.  I did say it was dodgy. 

The upshot is that it is an exercise in futility.  Earnings are relative to the time in which they were earned and not a useful indicator of comparative achievement of horses in different eras.  At all.

Nor is the equally dodgy practice of retrospectively counting Group 1 races.  That is silly and makes bad assumptions about the quality and status of races over time.

I suppose it all comes down to what Bart Cummings says "Champions don't deserve to be compared, just recognized"

Mr Chan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Chan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Grinnersawinner Grinnersawinner wrote:

Many races Phar Lap won no longer exist and if they do they have been down graded. The Craven Plate is a good example, once one of the richest WFA race in Sydney, now a Group 3 race.  Likewise the AJC St Leger, now extinct was worth £2,478 to the winner when Phar Lap won it.  That is almost five times the value of his 1930 Cox Plate.

It's a little known fact, I believe, that until as recently as the mid-1980s the Cox Plate was something of a poor cousin of the Caulfield and Melbourne Cups. Not a race that was at the top of the list of races that you wanted to win. Indeed, in 1957, Tommy Smith contested the Caulfield Cup instead of the Cox Plate with Tulloch as a three-year-old and, 23 years later, did the same with Kingston Town and ran the horse again in the 1980 Caulfield Cup before finally having a go at the Cox Plate.
Mr Chan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Chan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 8:07pm
22 years later, that should be
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 8:32pm
The Cox Plate was always simply a handy lead up race for the Cup horses, which is why it has a respectable list of past winners. But horses where never set for the Cox Plate as their spring goal.

I am trying to remember the name of the race that Phar Lap won that has disappeared from the calendar. I think it was the Australian Plate??? over 2 miles + run at Randwick? It was an important race at the time.
Mr Chan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Chan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Baguette Baguette wrote:

The Cox Plate was always simply a handy lead up race for the Cup horses, which is why it has a respectable list of past winners. But horses where never set for the Cox Plate as their spring goal.

That's right. And didn't Phar Lap's connections pull off a major betting coup by taking him out of the Caulfield Cup and going to the Cox Plate, thereby enabling the vastly inferior (but still very smart!) Amounis to win the Caulfield Cup?
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 8:48pm
They certainly did. They had the Amounis/Phar Lap double going for an absolute fortune. Many bookies were totally ruined when Phar Lap won the Melbourne Cup, which is why they tried to shoot him in the days before!
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Baguette Baguette wrote:

They certainly did. They had the Amounis/Phar Lap double going for an absolute fortune. Many bookies were totally ruined when Phar Lap won the Melbourne Cup, which is why they tried to shoot him in the days before!

Reckon they used a cut price hit man too. Serious, how do you miss a horse with a shotgun from several metres away?
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 9:12pm
It gets worse. They didn't just miss Phar Lap, but also the lead pony and Woodcock. Must have been drunk!
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 10:29pm
To put the Cox Plate into persective :

As a 4YO Phar Lap started in 15 WFA races and won 13 of them.  The richest was the Futurity Stakes (£2600) ahead of the Craven Plate (£1830). the Randwick Plate and the Spring Stakes (£$1,4767 & £1,465) then the Chelmsford (£1033), the Melbourne and Linlithgow Stakes and the CB Fisher Plate at Flemington (£1000 each)THEN the Cox Plate (£850).  

The Cox Plate was the ninth richest WFA race he contested that year.  The cheapest was the Hill Stakes at Rosehill £597.  

There were a number of other WFA races worth more than the Cox Plate such as the AJC Plate (now QE Sks), the Cumberland Stakes and  the VRC Kings Plate (ex Champion Sks).

The Cox didn't boast stake money greater than the MV Cup on the same card until the 1950s.

It drew a good field because of its place on the calendar, and unlike the Caulfield and Melbourne Stakes it was not on the same card as a 3YO classic so it had the advantage of good 3YO representatives, and was well placed seven days before the Derby.
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 12:25am

I have removed the actual prizemoney to keep it simple but this is a list of the leading Australasian stakeswinners in order of succession since 1850.  Horse in bold earned prizemoney outside Australasia.

The curious thing is that there are only 5 Melbourne Cup winners(*) on it.

JORROCKS 1850-1869
THE BARB* 1869-1879
CHESTER* 1879-1886
TRIDENT 1886-1889
ABERCORN 1889
CARBINE (NZ)* 1890-1922
EURYTHMIC 1922
GLOAMING 1922-1929
AMOUNIS 1929-1930
PHAR LAP (NZ)* 1930-1953
SHANNON 1948-58
SAILORS GUIDE 1958-74
GUNSYND 1972-1976
TARAS BULBA (NZ) Mar 1976
BATTLE HEIGHTS (NZ) Oct 1976
BALMERINO (NZ) Oct 1977
FAMILY OF MAN Nov 1978
MANIKATO Mar 1980
KINGSTON TOWN June 1980
STRAWBERRY ROAD Nov 1985
BEAU ZAM (NZ) Mar 1989
OUR POETIC PRINCE (NZ) Mar 1989
HORLICKS (NZ) Nov1989
BETTER LOOSEN UP Nov 1990
SUPER IMPOSE (NZ) Oct 1992
OCTAGONAL (NZ) Mar 1997
SUNLINE (NZ) Oct 1999
MAKYBE DIVA (GB)* Oct 2005
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grinnersawinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 11:18am

I hope you didn't spend too long thinking about that Grinner.  I did say it was dodgy. 

No, as soon as I read your post I realised the error. You're the one spending too long thinking about this lol, barely see you post and here you are with big long posts in this thread!
djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 11:42am

No, as soon as I read your post I realised the error. You're the one spending too long thinking about this lol, barely see you post and here you are with big long posts in this thread!

We all have our own little hobby horses with in this wonderful sport. Tontonans is clearly history.  There are certain subjects that bring out the passion in me and this clearly this brings out the passion in Tontonan. Thumbs Up

I think Tontonan comparing race prize money in certain races in the same era is a perfect analogy. 

STRIKE WHILST THE IRON IS HOT

reductio ad absurdum

The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grinnersawinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 11:53am

We all have our own little hobby horses with in this wonderful sport. Tontonans is clearly history.  There are certain subjects that bring out the passion in me and this clearly this brings out the passion in Tontonan. Thumbs Up

I think Tontonan comparing race prize money in certain races in the same era is a perfect analogy. 
Ah yes, he can go for his life. But after his long posts I found it funny he suggesting I wasted time on a one or two sentence post lol
djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 12:00pm

Ah yes, he can go for his life. But after his long posts I found it funny he suggesting I wasted time on a one or two sentence post lol

He does not need me to defend him but he started his commentary with this proviso -

"But there is no right answer.  There are just way too many variables to give anything more than a ball park figure".

And he followed up with a brilliant analogy.

"His long posts" I would have thought deserve respect but hey that is just me. Beer

reductio ad absurdum

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grinnersawinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 12:09pm

He does not need me to defend him but he started his commentary with this proviso -

"But there is no right answer.  There are just way too many variables to give anything more than a ball park figure".

And he followed up with a brilliant analogy.

"His long posts" I would have thought deserve respect but hey that is just me. Beer

You're jumping at shadows. Making something out of nothing.
Why use quotation marks around "his long posts". What are you trying to say.
How does me pointing out an error in conversion and/or finding an ironic comment funny show respect or disrespect. As I said he can go for his life.
I made a simple statement pointing something out. I wasn't rude about it, just some feedback that if Tontoman wants to he could incorporate it and come up with another ball park figure. Why you're trying to be an arse about it has me beat.
djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 12:15pm
Handshake

reductio ad absurdum

Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 3:41pm
Personally I love the history of our sport and Tontonan certainly knows his stuff.
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 4:02pm
Oh dear.  What happened here ?

Grinners,

Now I revisit it I can see how you might have taken 'I hope you didn't spent too long thinking about it' the wrong way. Poor expression on my part and I apologize for any offence caused - but the sentiment was sincere.  

The notion of trying to convert prizemoney won  80 years ago to contemporary values and using it to compare the achievement of horses from different eras really isn't worth thinking too deeply about.  I know.  I have spent too long thinking about it.

You comment was 100% correct.  It is correct in the best of times, and particularly pertinent in Phar Lap's time, the most dramatic economic collapse of the past century when the value of the currency was rapidly losing its value, week to week, with profound effect.  

Assuming that the calculator is correct (dubious) and the ABS data it is based upon is correct (the Retail Price Index - debatable) any 'correct' conversion would need to evaluate the value of each stake Phar Lap won on the date that he won it and convert it to contemporary values, then sum the lot.  

I have no intention of doing such an exacting calculation because there is little value in a more specific answer. It would come out with a figure between $5.5m and $6.5m ( a broad balllpark) and what would it mean ?  

Not a lot except to underline what my estimate based on 1931 values was intended to demonstrate - that the staking of Australia's elite races in Phar Lap's time  was significantly less in real terms than what it is today.    How much less ?  If Graeme Putt's figure of $15.5m is valid, it means Australia's stake races were only worth about a third of what they are today in real terms.  And that I think is a meaningful fact that is worth thinking about.

As for my long posts, what can I say ?  I have long thoughts.  My contributions to most forums these days is limited to historical questions because that's what I know about.  I appreciate anyone who bothers to read them and if they care to comment, as you did, that is a bonus.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 4:20pm
Love your work Tontonan, don't pay any attention to the haters.

Could you give me some sort of rough estimate (no pun intended) as to how much money Rough Habit would've won in today's day and age?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grinnersawinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 4:40pm

Love your work Tontonan, don't pay any attention to the haters.

Could you give me some sort of rough estimate (no pun intended) as to how much money Rough Habit would've won in today's day and age?
Haters? Providing feedback is not hateful. Tontoman has acknowledged this and he knows (as he has previously stated) it's just a rough guide. Pointing out something to improve the rough guide is not hateful, rather helpful.

Rough Habit about $3.9 million. Early 90s base CPI about 60. Now its about 105. 3.9mill / 60 * 105 = 6.9mill. Obviously that's even rougher then what Tontonan usually produces. If someone suggested improvement to my method thats not necessarily hateful. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 4:47pm
Sorry I don't remember mentioning your name but I guess you're a little paranoid. Good for you.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 4:58pm
paranoia
ˌparəˈnɔɪə/< =":/png;64,iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAABAAAAAQCAYAAAAf8/9hAAAAcUlEQVQ4y2P4//8/AyUYQhAH3gNxA7IAIQPmo/H3g/QA8XkgFiBkwHyoYnRQABVfj88AmGZcTuuHyjlgMwBZM7IE3NlQGhQe65EN+I8Dw8MLGgYoFpFqADK/YUAMwOsFigORatFIlYRElaRMWmaiBA0n+3U0kqkAAAAAASUVORK5CYII=" height="16" ="" width="16" style="height: 16px; width: 16px;">
noun
  1. 1.
    a mental condition characterized by delusions of persecution, unwarranted jealousy, or exaggerated self-importance, typically worked into an organized system. It may be an aspect of chronic personality disorder, of drug abuse, or of a serious condition such as schizophrenia in which the person loses touch with reality.
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 5:16pm
Check this out .  Historian Thom Blake has a very cool calculator in his site...

http://www.thomblake.com.au/secondary/hisdata/query.php

"How much is it worth?
This is simple program for calculating historical money rates for Australia. It is intended to be a basic approach to calculating the relative value of money in Australia from 1850 to the present. It is based on the Retail Price Index developed by the Australian Bureau of Statistics. "

The calculator only works to 2012.  To convert pre-decimal currency you need to double the £.

It essentially measures the buying power of the currency in today's (2012) terms.

Rough Habit retired in August 1995 with $3,887,393 which has the same relative value in 2012 as $5,937,516 according to the calculator.  The value is obviously higher if you calculate from earlier than 1995.

I definitely do not regard Grinner as a 'hater'.   I can see how he took exception to my reply. His point is as valid to the Rough Habit calculation as the Phar Lap calculation.  It was a poor expression on my part - and that is inclined to happen when I try to do 'short and punchy' instead of long winded and boring'. 

I cant txt.  I am a dinosaur.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grinnersawinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 5:18pm
How the kiss are my posts deleted and PMDs are not. What the actual kiss.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grinnersawinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 5:25pm

<div ="vk_ans" style="margin-bottom: 0px; color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-weight: lighter !imant; font-size: xx-large !imant;"><span -dobid="hdw">paranoia</span><div style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small; line-height: 15.600000381469727px;"><div ="lr_dct_ent_ph" style="font-size: large;"><span ="lr_dct_ph">ˌparəˈnɔɪə/</span><span ="lr_dct_spkr lr_dct_spkr_off" title="Listen" js="dob.p" -log-="pronunciation-icon-click" style="height: 16px; width: 16px; margin: 0px 2px 4px 5px; vertical-align: middle; display: inline-block; opacity: 0.55;">< =":/png;64,iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAABAAAAAQCAYAAAAf8/9hAAAAcUlEQVQ4y2P4//8/AyUYQhAH3gNxA7IAIQPmo/H3g/QA8XkgFiBkwHyoYnRQABVfj88AmGZcTuuHyjlgMwBZM7IE3NlQGhQe65EN+I8Dw8MLGgYoFpFqADK/YUAMwOsFigORatFIlYRElaRMWmaiBA0n+3U0kqkAAAAAASUVORK5CYII=" height="16" ="" width="16" style="height: 16px; width: 16px;"></span>
<div ="lr_dct_sf_h" style="padding-top: 10px;">noun
<div ="xpdxpnd vk_gy" -mh="-1" style="color: rgb135, 135, 135 !imant; overflow: ; -webkit-transition: max-height 0.3s; transition: max-height 0.3s; max-height: 0px;"><ol ="lr_dct_sf_sens" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 0px 20px; border: 0px;"><li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; line-height: 1.2; list-style: none;"><div ="lr_dct_sf_sen vk_txt" style="padding-top: 10px; font-weight: lighter !imant;"><div style=": left;">1.<div style="margin-left: 20px;"><div -dobid="dfn" style="display: inline;">a mental condition characterized by delusions of persecution, unwarranted jealousy, or exaggerated self-importance, typically worked into an organized system. It may be an aspect of chronic personality disorder, of drug abuse, or of a serious condition such as schizophrenia in which the person loses touch with reality.
Nice copy and paste attempt. Who are the haters then?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic