Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Tom Melbourne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SYT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tom Melbourne
    Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 11:57am
Best bet in Melb on Saturday... wins this weekend to book himself a spot in the Caulfield Cup field!
Straight Connector View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight Connector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 12:17pm
The only bet in Melbourne this weekend.
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 12:26pm
took $9.88 the treble Tom/tarzino/Winx.... watch one of them get beaten
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....
Straight Connector View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight Connector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 12:27pm
I hope not. I'm with you there.
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 12:54pm
Agreed.
Wasn't Master Zephyr supposed to be in this race?
Sunline...simply supreme
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 1:28pm
Tom is the weak link in that treble. Pemberley, Observational & Dandy Gent are all worthy of respect.
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by Sunline Sunline wrote:

Agreed.
No. He is being set for Warrnambool Cup in May
ChiefDeBeers View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChiefDeBeers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 10:18pm
He maybe good winner Sat, spruik has probably gone fair bit ahead of him though. 

Days of Caulfield Cup being won by whacker with nice weight seem to have moved on bit. 

He will have to improve hell of lot between campaigns to be a genuine Caulfield Cup hope IMO. 
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by Magnolian Khan Magnolian Khan wrote:

Originally posted by Sunline Sunline wrote:

Agreed.
No. He is being set for Warrnambool Cup in May

Thumbs Up
Sunline...simply supreme
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 6:05am
Not sure what to make of the form out of Albury, but I'm inclined to think it is awful, the margins flattering, and fairly meaningless, other than to say he appears to handle the wet.

Not seen the race, but apparently was a Heavy 10, and he was so far in front but so erratic, he was able to be pulled up and virtually walk over the line. 

First run on a wet track - might just be a superior wet tracker?

The time was nothing special - 8.9 seconds outside the record - the 2400m BM63 was only 9.9 sec outside that record. 

His wet track ability may also appear better than it is, when considering that the remainder of the field has a combined record on Heavy tracks of 31:1-4-2 ... so he may have just struck a bunch of wet track duffers ... the margins suggest that is the case.

Not sure how good the 2nd horse is, but not much on face value - unplaced behind some plodders in the Corowa Cup previous, and best win of 3 is a 1200m Cootamundra BM60???

3rd was the mighty Hippopus, who I suggest is down there en route to the 'bool, but was coming off a surprise Canberra Cup win ... he's far from consistent these days.

Don't believe this race enhances his form, and though the previous win was good, not sure it was good enough to have him so far ahead of a couple of the other hopes on Saturday.
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
poczynek View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poczynek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 7:20am
'Not seen the race'.
Underground View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Underground Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 11:04am
the last thing I took from that race was that he appreciated the wet track lol. Never seen a win like it. there are some nice formlines from his prior wins, I'll be all over him Sat 
cabosanlucas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 1:22pm
Freedman said post race at albury "if it was a dry track today, he was a moral, he had lengths on that field". He is a serious horse, how serious we dont really know yet.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 1:43pm
He's a gelding. He can not be too serious a horse.
reductio ad absurdum
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by poczynek poczynek wrote:

'Not seen the race'.

That's what I said - have heard it described by others, but can't find any vision - anything you have to contribute would be appreciated - cheers!
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Underground View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Underground Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 3:47pm
http://racing.racingnsw.com.au/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?HorseCode=NDYxMTA2OTQ0&src=horsesearch

option should be there to watch the full race or final 400m
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 11:08pm
Cheers UThumbs Up ... still don't know what to make of it, except if he had been up against a genuine wet tracker of any ability, he may well have thrown it away that last 200m ... as I said, previous run was a beauty, but that wasn't pretty at all ... don't think I will be backing him at the short quote this week, and will let the rest of them go around without me next time they find a wet trackDead.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 11:59pm
Observational to be more positive early. At least makes a race of it.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 12:17am
I know they sometimes breathalyse the riders but I think they needed to test this horse, plodded like a the town drunk on his way home from the pub on a Friday night up the straight
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 1:38am
Originally posted by Red Hare Red Hare wrote:

Observational to be more positive early. At least makes a race of it.

I'm already on. 

Liked the last 2 runs - both much stronger and higher rating races than anything Tom M's run in, and the 2400m would seem ideal 3rd up.

He was out of his depth, but did race against Snow Sky and Postponed in UK, so some pretence to class.

Good to hear he will be closer - Mujadale will put the acid on Tom M, and a couple of others could also go forward (Don Doremo, Adirondack, Tunes, Tuscan Fire) , so there will be no loafing and a true staying test. The wobble that Tom had at the end of his last race is a concern. 

Observational and Big Memory will have the drop on them all if they show any weakness in the last 100m - taking that quinella too.

Lucky Lucky Lucky's form through Sir John Hawkwood looks good now and he's the roughie for me.

Good luck to all who are with him, and Tom Melbourne could well have lengths on them all and be a genuine Caulfield Cup contender. No value at $2.30 now!!!
Kingy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 1:29pm
BIG MEMORY the big danger today, will be cherry ripe. Looks like the quinella horse IMO (at least).

TOM's got some bad habits though, will be a great stayer once he matures properly.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 6:01pm
Ploddalong De Plod is no star.
Ecair Issoire View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 6:04pm
Good post above Dr E..
Beat nothing in he slop..then backed like he was phar lap.
Some get excited when an ex euro horse shows something.
Znatchy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Znatchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 6:05pm
Ridden like an Oakleigh Plater with 50kg doesn't help.

The other two horses on the speed tailed off as well.  Big Memory was a great run given he did the donkey work.
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 6:32pm
Freedman boom horse
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 7:57pm
he was pretty disappointing today, but I'm sure he's still learning to be a racehorse.

There will be suitable Spring races for him to target, such as the Heatherlie Hcp & the Coongy Hcp.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by Ecair Issoire Ecair Issoire wrote:

Good post above Dr E..
Beat nothing in he slop..then backed like he was phar lap.
Some get excited when an ex euro horse shows something.

Cheers EI - got to get them right sometimes!

"Lucky Lucky Lucky's form through Sir John Hawkwood looks good now and he's the roughie for me."

Was happy with the $7.20 place for LLL Big smile

Agree with Lord H ... still expect Tom M to improve into a good horse, but he is still learning, first go at 2400m, and against much better performed animals, he was simply priced wrong. 
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 11:41pm
I was thinking that 'more positive' was going to be 'midfield, no worse than 5L off the lead - as opposed to last' not what eventuated today.

Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 12:37pm
I think the the race record was broken by 4 seconds. If that is right the horse was entitled to fail and sack the jockey. Havnt seen the stewards report but at one point he looked really uncomfortable in his action and was hanging badly.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Isaac soloman Isaac soloman wrote:

I think the the race record was broken by 4 seconds. If that is right the horse was entitled to fail and sack the jockey. Havnt seen the stewards report but at one point he looked really uncomfortable in his action and was hanging badly.

Initially that's what I understood the remark to mean but he finished with something like "but they didn't seem to be dawdling" so I realised they must've been 4 secs slower than the record Smile
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>