Join up at Crownbet - Click here - Crownbet is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Broodmares
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

To sell or not to sell?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To sell or not to sell?
    Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 5:20pm
Can I have opinions re a 19yo mare who was unraced, but whose stud records reads 10 foals, one died, 8 raced, 8 winners, one Gp2 SW, 7 of the winners won on metropolitan courses and the last foal to race has won 2 races in provincial NZ. She has had Choisir colt just weaned and she is in goal to 1st season sure Verrazano. Opinion re selling or keeping till her daycare finished?
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Crownbet.

Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 5:21pm
Till her days are finished
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 5:31pm
I guess as always, it depends.
Do you have plenty of room & the funds to retire her? The alternative could be a lease to a known good home.
How long have you had her or put another way, do you feel any moral obligation to her?
Personally I couldn't on sell a mare of her age with that record but that's just me, it's a very individual decision to make.

Experience is something you gain a few minutes after you could have used it!
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 5:48pm
That Gay3, no obligation but still prefer to see her end her days peacefully. We already have 2 retired brood mares and none will be "sold" for meat prices. This girl, I think, still had much to offer. She is fit and healthy and not only rears a good foal but goes back quickly after foaling unassisted each year. She was a mare literally given to me to do what I want with after missing. A further question would be how long will a mare breed if maintained in good health and the brood mare farm I use take care of her to put her back in foal. Just asking as wife would like to cut numbers.
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 5:48pm
That is thanks Gay3
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 6:08pm
I'm by no means an expert on reproduction but I think the condition of the uterus usually has a bearing i.e. number of cysts & general health (elasticity??).
Hopefully some of those with far more knowledge will assist with answers Smile
Experience is something you gain a few minutes after you could have used it!
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 6:37pm
Only thing this time was some retained uterine fluid but this reduced quickly and she came on and was served 4 weeks post partem.
marlin1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marlin1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 4:16am
Message sent majestic,
bern_borough View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bern_borough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 2:39pm
What did you decide? A very emotive subject, broodmares. 
'Here is nobility without conceit,
friendship without envy, beauty without vanity.
A willing servant, yet never a slave.' ––Ronald Duncan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic