Please visit VillageBet for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

To Become A Jockey

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingThoroghbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To Become A Jockey
    Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 3:15am
How do I become a Jockey? I really need to know. Do you have to be a certain height, weight etc. What age do you need to be? Do you need to do certain things before you apply?
JenniBennixx
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

Track View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Track Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 3:16am
Ring Racing Victoria - Speak to Ron Hall
FlyingThoroghbred View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingThoroghbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 3:21am

Are female jockeys chosen to ride the big name horse often?

JenniBennixx
mitch_006 View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitch_006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 3:23am
Originally posted by FlyingThoroghbred FlyingThoroghbred wrote:

Lol not often only because they aren't usually up to the quality men. Claire Lindop gets big name rides, but she's the best lass by a long way...

You probably need to be around 50kg, to get rides as an apprentice. Contact Racing NSW or even stables...
The spirit of the hussler and the swagger of the college KID
KangaMick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KangaMick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 3:26am
I wrote to Bart Cummings when I was in year 10 at school asking about becoming a jockey. He wrote back to me and mentioned weights, diet etc. And signed the letter. That would of been about 1987. I still have the letter somewhere in an album.
2007 JASBTC Champion,2008 JASBTC Runner-Up. NSW Surge-Aussie LFL Champions 2013/14
mitch_006 View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitch_006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 3:27am
Lol are you still on the diet?
Tommo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 3:29am

Women have had a lot of success in NZ... Sam Spratt, Lisa Cropp in recent couple of years. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 3:30am
The best advic is contact Racing Victoria. That's who runs the apprentices school. You should also look at their website which has info about careers in racing. And don't pay any attention to people knocking women jockeys. If you're a woman and you want to be a jockey - go for it. More and more are becoming successful.
Morgan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 3:30am
Originally posted by mitch_006 mitch_006 wrote:

I think thats where he stopped reading.
I hope that when I die, people say about me, "Boy, that guy sure owed me a lot of money."
Track View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Track Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 3:30am
No, but times are a changing and the next female jock who proves she is the equal of her male comrades, will get the nod. 

Bart Cummings, Peter Moodie, Terry O'Sullivan for example all regularly use female jockeys and Clair Lindop regularly rides the best horses in South Australia as does Sam Spratt in NZ.

Crash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 3:32am
Plenty of good women jockeys around Linda Meech , Kathy O'hara , Libby Hopwood  and Michelle Payne to name a few
KangaMick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KangaMick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 3:32am

Ha Ha no chance at all. After 2.5 years in Spain with the bar I am up to 80kg with a good beer gut to show for it.    

Maybe in my next life.      
2007 JASBTC Champion,2008 JASBTC Runner-Up. NSW Surge-Aussie LFL Champions 2013/14
mitch_006 View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitch_006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 3:44am
Originally posted by KangaMick KangaMick wrote:

Ha Ha no chance at all. After 2.5 years in Spain with the bar I am up to 80kg with a good beer gut to show for it.    

Maybe in my next life.      

LOL yer i admire what these little people do. It's not much of a life trying to stay 53kg all year round
Fine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 3:51am
Linda Meech seems to ride a winner in the bush every day.
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingThoroghbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 3:53am
That's an idea. But times have changed since 1987. My older cousin sent letters to numerous people and never recieved an answer.
JenniBennixx
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingThoroghbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 3:58am
I mean i really want to become a jockey. Horses and racing are my passion! I still got a couple of years before i NEED to decide what i wanna be after school but i want to be a jockey. but is it a lost hope? I'm not tall but i'm not the shortest person around either. I could loose a couple kilos (not many) and be an ideal weight.
JenniBennixx
runtowin View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runtowin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 4:00am
FT how old are you and are you a capable rider? Should try to hook up with a respected stable  as a track rider and take it from there. Nikita Berriman, Michelle Payne, Linda Meech, Kathy O,Hara, Clair Lindop etc are all aking a great living out of being jockeys so if your really keen have a crack for sure.
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingThoroghbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 4:01am
i gotta go, but if anyone has any tips for me or anything at all, please e-mail me. bellaboo102@hotmail.com   thanks
JenniBennixx
Nick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 4:07am
There are some decent female jocks around but pound for pound on the whole they will never be as good for obvious reasons.

I always say chase your dreams but if you are a girl probably better to look elsewhere to avoid disappointment :).
The Ear View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Ear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 8:41am
Your size of your hands and feet will tell if you are going to get too big.
If you take a shoe size bigger than 4, when going into an apprenticeship, the odds are that weight will beat you.
well_rated View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote well_rated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 8:43am

Lol not often only because they aren't usually up to the quality men. Claire Lindop gets big name rides, but she's the best lass by a long way...

You probably need to be around 50kg, to get rides as an apprentice. Contact Racing NSW or even stables...

Miles off there.
moodygirl View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moodygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 8:47am
Being a jockey isn't easy, only a small percentage actually finish there apprenticeships. 
It's extremely tough going; minimal meals, sweating, early starts, long travel etc, but if you dedicated then try starting as a strapper and go from there or speak to a few jocks.  Height isn't that much of an issue, just weight. Steven Arnold is around 5ft10. 
Fine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 9:05am
Here's the info at Racing Victoria about becoming a jockey.

http://www.racingvictoria.net.au/p_Apprentice_Jockeys.aspx
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic