Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

The Trump Presidency

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 316317318319320 1094>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

"Golf match? I've won 18 Club Championships including this weekend."

Congratulations Tiaz .   A tough game to master.   Like Eddie Charlton ( World snooker Champion ) once told our club members '
If your not prepared to practice 8 hours a day , 6 days a week , forget the high level ambitions. That's a lot of practice.

My friends wife scored a hole in one recently ....   Haven't heard the end of it yet.      Over the moon achievement.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 10:21pm
The first hole of golf I ever played, I scored a birdie. It all went downhill from there. A bloke I know scored an albatross, and never shut up about it. He married one too.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 10:42pm
The best game and the worst game!

Used to be a reasonable junior, low single figure player, played pennant golf, Vardon events, NSW Amateur couple of times ... stopped playing about a dozen years ago, tried last year or two, but I've found it almost impossible to get back into ... just doesn't come back without the practice commitment, and the body doesn't do what it used to ... just so bloody frustrating, prefer losing money on the punt!!!Wacko
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 8:11am
Interesting article from The Independent on possible changes to the power structure in Russia

'There can be no second Putin': Russia looks to prospect of future without Vladimir as sources say he has considered quitting

The Independent can reveal a picture of intense uncertainty at the heart of power

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 9:58am
Putin is reputedly one of the wealthiest people in the world. No more needs to be said, the system that prevailed under his watch, completely damned by that alone. The last Czar was said to be the richest man in the world, when deposed. Ripe for revolution again.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 10:02am
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

[QUOTE=Tlazolteotl]
"Golf match? I've won 18 Club Championships including this weekend."

Congratulations Tiaz .   A tough game to master.   Like Eddie Charlton ( World snooker Champion ) once told our club members '
If your not prepared to practice 8 hours a day , 6 days a week , forget the high level ambitions. That's a lot of practice.

My friends wife scored a hole in one recently ....   Haven't heard the end of it yet.      Over the moon achievement. [/QUOTE

That's a quote from the braggart in chief not me.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 4:20pm
You could win a C grade club championship without ever breaking 100 ... not a major achievement.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

You could win a C grade club championship without ever breaking 100 ... not a major achievement.

I've never broken 200 so what hope me.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 4:40pm
one word for you macca ... Lawn Bowls.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 4:44pm
That is two words, Doc !
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 9:26pm
Lawnbowls
Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 10:47pm
Mini-Golf

Putt Putt
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 11:45pm
Lawn bowlers have smoking, drinking, food and punting within 20 meters of their finger tips at all times ... it is the ultimate sport! Thumbs Up
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 12:42am

Lawn bowlers have smoking, drinking, food and punting within 20 meters of their finger tips at all times ... it is the ultimate sport! Thumbs Up

Yeah, if they can stand up to the challenge  LOL 
animals before people.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 12:46am

By the time you get to lawn bowls there's not much interest in those pleasures Doc.

Which reminds me of a funny one of yesteryear.

If you have a moth ball in each hand , what does it signify.

A very large moth ..      

I'm Desperate for a laugh aye.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 11:14am

Comment: US tax cuts prove Donald Trump is nothing but a fake populist

http:www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/comment-us-tax-cuts-prove-donald-trump-is-nothing-but-a-fake-populist/ar-BBFoHwc?li=AAgfYrC&ocid=mailsignout

. And their president. Trump, in short, is no populist, he is only masquerading as one. He's a fake populist. Then again, Trump has never made any bones about his attitude to enriching himself. "The point is," as he once said, "you can never be too greedy."
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

Comment: US tax cuts prove Donald Trump is nothing but a fake populist

http:www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/comment-us-tax-cuts-prove-donald-trump-is-nothing-but-a-fake-populist/ar-BBFoHwc?li=AAgfYrC&ocid=mailsignout

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/comment-us-tax-cuts-prove-donald-trump-is-nothing-but-a-fake-populist/ar-BBFoHwc?li=AAgfYrC&ocid=mailsignout

. And their president. Trump, in short, is no populist, he is only masquerading as one. He's a fake populist. Then again, Trump has never made any bones about his attitude to enriching himself. "The point is," as he once said, "you can never be too greedy."
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 11:20am

US tax cuts prove Donald Trump is nothing but a fake populist

Peter Hartcher

Published: November 21 2017 - 12:00AM

The tax reform proposal now being developed in the US Congress confirms that Donald Trump is no populist. A populist is someone who champions the ordinary folk against the elite. This is precisely what Donald Trump did in running for the presidency. He said that he "used to be" part of America's "financial elite", though "I hate to say it". But, said the man who claimed to be worth $US10 billion ($13.25 billion), he had changed: "You know the funny thing, I don't get along with rich people. I get along with the middle class and the poor people better than I get along with the rich people."

And these were the people he would serve as president: "Every day, I wake up determined to deliver a better life for the people all across this nation that have been neglected, ignored, and abandoned," said Trump. "These are the forgotten men and women of our country." He would "drain the swamp" of corrupt elites and lobbyists. And overarching his appeal to the overlooked was his pitch to patriotism: "I am going to make America great again."

We can now test his claims against the tax reform plans he and his party are supporting. There is no more honest reckoning of a politician's true loyalties than how he or she distributes the cash. There are now three key Republican proposals for US tax reform. The President set the agenda by writing the first set of proposals. The Republicans in both chambers of the US Congress have now each put forward their own versions. The Republicans, who dominate both chambers and hold the White House, don't want to miss this opportunity. They're racing to legislate by the end of the year.

The House and Senate versions differ. They will need to be reconciled and amended. But there are enough commonalities across the three plans to give a clear picture of intent. Trump's original plan was drafted to make sure that the greatest benefit went to the richest Americans.

America is a a country where the richest three people have as much wealth as the poorest half of the population, according to the Institute for Policy Studies based on the Forbes rich list. That is, Bill Gates, Warren Buffett and Jeff Bezos of Amazon together have estimated wealth of a quarter of a trillion US dollars, about the same as the combined the wealth of the poorest 160 million Americans. Two of those three mega-rich men, Gates and Buffett, say that the system is broken. Buffett says that it's unfair that he pays the same amount of tax as his secretary. This pair campaigns for a fairer tax system. But the Republicans have revealed themselves to hold the opposite priority.

For example, the three versions of Republican tax reform would either abolish or dramatically cut back the amount of inheritance tax paid by the rich. Never has so much been offered to so few - only about 5,500 American families are expected to pay this tax this year. Only estates assessed at over $5.49 million pay any inheritance tax at all, or double this amount in the event that it's the estate of a couple.

All three plans would cut the amount of tax paid by high income earners. In the House version, the top marginal rate would remain as it is at 39.6 per cent. But changes to allowances and other tax provisions guarantee that the overall tax burden would fall. For instance, the plan would abolish the alternative minimum tax, as originally urged by Trump. This is a tax that makes sure that, however cleverly the rich are able to claim deductions, they still pay at least some income tax.

The combined effect of all the provisions in the most complete and advanced of the three, the House plan, which was last week passed by the House and now goes to the Senate, is that the richest 1 per cent get 21 per cent of the total tax cut, according to the Tax Policy Centre at the Brookings Institution. To qualify for the top 1 per cent you need an annual income of $US730,000. Having qualified, you'd get a tax cut of about $US37,000 or 2.5 per cent of income. By the year 2050, this group's share of the total benefit would have swollen to 50 per cent. The bottom one-fifth of earners would get a tax cut too - of $60 a year, equal to 0.4 per cent of their average total income. Those in the middle would have tax relief of $US840 a year, or 1.5 per cent of income.

Trump has claimed that the Republican plans would not benefit him or his family personally. "It's not good for me," the President said. "Believe me." But an analysis of his 2005 tax return found that the House tax plan would have saved Trump personally $US20 million that year, according to Maury Cartine, a tax expert at Marcum LLP, commissioned by TV network NBC News, no friend of Trump's. The biggest bonanza, however, would go to his heirs. If the Bloomberg Billionaire Index is correct in estimating Trump's true net wealth at $US2.86 billion, his heirs would reap a benefit of $US1.1 billion.

As for making America great again, the Republican plans would increase the US national debt. The House plan, for instance, on its own declared aim would add $US1.5 trillion to the US federal debt over a decade. To curb the debt blow-out, congressional "pay-as-you-go" rules mean that the White House's Office of Management and Budget will be required to make offsetting cuts to spending. How much? A cut of $US136 billion in 2018, according to the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office. Trump's response? According to US media reports, White House officials have started drafting proposals to cut welfare spending. So people on welfare would face cuts to finance a tax plan whose biggest beneficiaries are the rich. It's hard to see how that helps the ordinary people.

And if the Congress refuses to cut welfare spending or some other category sufficiently, the deficit goes up. The Bipartisan Policy Centre says that the US could be running deficits of $US1 trillion a year from 2019. It's looking unmistakably like a Republican plunder of the US Treasury on behalf of their supporters and donors. And their president. Trump, in short, is no populist, he is only masquerading as one. He's a fake populist. Then again, Trump has never made any bones about his attitude to enriching himself. "The point is," as he once said, "you can never be too greedy."

Peter Hartcher is international editor.

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/comment/us-tax-cuts-prove-donald-trump-is-nothing-but-a-fake-populist-20171119-gzoq1n.html

Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 11:45am
Yep, business and the financial markets can see right through him!LOL
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 11:47am

By the time you get to lawn bowls there's not much interest in those pleasures Doc.

Which reminds me of a funny one of yesteryear.

If you have a moth ball in each hand , what does it signify.

A very large moth ..      

I'm Desperate for a laugh aye.

You have the undivided attention of a very large moth, macca.Pinch
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 12:00pm
Is PT OK.?
almost mid day and no spray for Donald .

Maybe on sick leave.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 12:15pm
So much to catch up on maxie, with Mueller having opened up at least 30 lines of inquiry and subpoenas and indictments flying in all directions. It has taken me a couple of days to try to get up to speed 
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

So much to catch up on maxie, with Mueller having opened up at least 30 lines of inquiry and subpoenas and indictments flying in all directions. It has taken me a couple of days to try to get up to speed 

Nice to know we care ..     I noted you travelling in low gear.

This chugging along on one cylinder is a tough trip PT.

BTW.     How is the weight program going ... ?      I'm trying to reduce the portion and sugar intake a bit ,    The Kilo goes on too easy, aye.       
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 12:22pm
Where's the "smoking gun"? 

... and don't say "in Bill Clintons pants"!LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 12:26pm
With all due respect to PT's analysis of the US situation, one must pay due regard to what the money is saying, with betting agencies, about Trump's situation. At the moment it is still basically a coin toss as to any early exit for him.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 12:32pm

Where's the "smoking gun"? 

... and don't say "in Bill Clintons pants"!LOL

This weeks prize ..I'm sure
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 12:55pm

Nice to know we care ..     I noted you travelling in low gear.

This chugging along on one cylinder is a tough trip PT.

BTW.     How is the weight program going ... ?      I'm trying to reduce the portion and sugar intake a bit ,    The Kilo goes on too easy, aye.       

Eliminate(or almost) your sugar and simple carb intake and the rest will take care of itself 
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 8:38pm
Glad I read the lateat posts...
Trump seems to be going fine.
Done.
Shammy Davis View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shammy Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 12:52am

A couple of days? At the rate Sgt Mueller is going you will never catch up and neither will he.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 1:06am
Greeting Shammy       

Always good to see some good American input into TBV.

I know teaching infants is a drag but someone has to do it.

Regards to Family and all those good Yanks ,doing what their great at,
        Screwing.      . The nose cones onto the armoury for delivery to NK if they don't behave.
Appears quiet on the Home front at the moment .

I hope you saw DR E, asking where the "smoking Gun " was.
Plus his recognising some may Jest ( In Bill Clinton's Trousers )
Loved that humour .      Reminder how good Bill really was .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 316317318319320 1094>