Join up at Sportsbet - Click here

Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

The Top 3YOs 2017-18

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 12:33am
Now that the dust has settled I can get to watching some replays of today's 3YO races.
No doubt it will throw up a few that weren't previously considered a Grp 1 contender.

But from the results:
Flemington R2 gave us a couple at double figure odds 1st and 2nd. Only Sirconni from the favoured horses ran a decent race. The winner Snitzpeg was good but the run of the 2nd horse Bravo Tango was outstanding. Held up for an eternity and sprouted wings at the end.
Probably the only horse from the race I want to follow.

And then we were treated with a true Derby chance, again. Main Stage finished better than the rest to win like he'd go the Cup trip. If you've got one that can beat him you've got the Derby winner.
Cliff's Edge was good again but the 1800m found him out against a horse with true staying potential. Stablemate to the winner Johnny Jinko probably the only other one in the race I could consider a chance of running the Derby out strongly.

And the filly's race served up another surprise with Leather'N'Lace only managing 3rd behind Bring Me Roses and Hiyaam. Bring Me Roses was brilliant and no doubt the connections are looking at bigger prizes now. It always looked like a race to dodge and the result proved that these races can be traps.

Randwick was much more friendly to me after an absolute shocker in Melbourne.
I'll skip race 1 because I don't think there is a runner even likely to run in a Grp 1 race this spring.
But Viridine was outstanding winning the Roman Consul. He's now 4 from 4 and sure to have a Melbourne target. Once he took the rails run it was all over.
Single Bullet was strong again as was Beau Geste and Albumin so the punters had it right with the exception of Chauffeur who was very disappointing. The first 4 picked themselves though really.

Then the Grp 1 Spring Champion Stakes. And Ace High delivered another hard fought win. He was never in doubt and like last start gave another kick when he saw the challenger Tangled coming. He just won't lay down.
Sully made up some good ground and Sanctioned gave his usual honest run but Ace High just tingles class and guts.

Looking at the future Grp 1s, Trent Busuttin and Natalie Young have the strongest group of Derby runners than any trainer I've seen. Sully, Johnny Jinko and Main Stage look like being right in the mix.
Viridine is exceptional but the only Grp 1 race I can see him contesting is the Coolmore unless Godolphin decide to run him in the Manikato and Darley Classic. 3 bloody hard races to win.

I started with nothing and still have most of it left
Sponsored Links
Click here to grab your bonuses when you join up with Sportsbet.

scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:09pm
The two guineas races at Caulfield tomorrow take centre stage for the 3YOs.
The Thousand Guineas has a hot line up (even with Catchy taking on the boys) with Alizee, Shoals, Aloisia and Booker the leading contenders.
Alizee's Flight Stakes win has her the fav and again she looks a very good chance.
Shoals finished hard from the back of the field with Catchy last start to run 2nd to Booker. Both will probably race in the first 4 and with an 8 horse field the two swoopers Alizee and Aloisia will need to get fired up from or before the 600m.
Even with Catchy out this is still a great race. Alizee to win for me but both Shoals and Booker beat Catchy last start so can't be ignored.

In the Caulfield Guineas Catchy and Royal Symphony share favouritism. Both horses will be expected to finish off late and with RS ahead of her on speed maps it could come down to which one gets the best luck in running.
There will be enough speed for both with Perast, Sanctioned, Gold Standard, Showtime etc all looking for the early advantage. The leaders had a picnic last Caul meeting but Caulfield Guineas day usually has the track play evenly.

I'm sticking with Royal Symphony. Gold Standard, Catchy and Kementari the dangers imo.

And we have She Will Reign, Houtzen and Tulip running in the Everest.
SWR clearly the pick of the 3 to me and is a huge chance of stamping herself as a champion, not just for her age. She's only ever faced Open Grp 1 company before and came from 10th of 13 to win the Open Grp 1 Muir Stakes, and she'll be a lot closer tomorrow from a good draw.

WarriSymbol View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarriSymbol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 8:03pm
100/1 winner of the Guineas
40/1 winner of the Golden Rose
Seemingly a different winner every week in the lead ups.
Fillies better than colts as 2yos.

Do you think this might be a pretty average crop?
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 9:43pm
I'm not writing any of the off yet Warrisymbol.

SWR missed the jump again and didn't win the Everest but either did 10 other runners.

For future 3YO Group 1 races.
Royal Symphony has emerged as a real Derby chance and Aloisia in the Oaks.
I'm already on both along with Main Stage.

Horse RacingMain Stage - @ 7.00 BOOSTED

Victoria Derby - Before Noms - Win or Each Way
Win or EW
Royal Symphony @ 11.00

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 11:42pm
W'Symbol makes a point of the consistent failures of these "premature champions".   
How Stiff ,   IN HER TIME today . 1st reserve and doesn't make the Everest field .    Wins the Booby prize in faster time than Redzel ran ..   Both quick.
We are all guilty of the Hype crime and we never learn.    Best to say we have some very even , strong , consistent Gallopers going round ATM.
The win % average of the Everest field was over 40%. Good horses aye.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic