Join up at Sportsbet - Click here

Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

The Top 3YOs 2017-18

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by ianb ianb wrote:

What is interesting is that he was born out of a 17yo mare. One other stakes placed horse in all the foals she has had and now this bloke who looks a bonafide star. Much like Denman and probably a rareity in breeding

Most mares as they age go to lesser stallions.

Domesday is a very good stallion , just didn't have the opportunity of those with more illustrious race track records and danehill as daddy or grand daddy.

His career is built on those hand me down mares.
Sponsored Links
Click here to grab your bonuses when you join up with Sportsbet.

scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 2:23pm
Heaps of nice 3YOs racing this saturday.
I'll start with Sydney and get to Melbourne later.

Originally posted by scamanda scamanda wrote:

I'll have a crack at it. 

Golden Rose- Kementari, Menari ( presuming no Royal Symphony in Sydney)

Kementari not running so left with one from my early picks. Menari, go you good thing.

Menari deserves to be fav and Pariah the one hardest to beat. Merchant Navy from Melbourne will test them over 1400m though.
The Snowdens have Pariah and also Dracarys and Assimilate in the race. They are known to have their 2YOs and 3YOs ready for the grand final so Menari will need to be at his best.
And Gold Standard who has gone from strength to strength the other one with a big hope imo.

What a great race.
I'm on Menari at $21 and $15. Pariah at $7 and $2.50 pl. And Merchant Navy at $9.

The Gloaming looks like James Cummings best chance of a Metro Grp winner.
Astoria was very good in the Spring Stakes win. 1800m right up his alley now.
And Sanctioned's 2nd to Gold Standard in the Stan Fox was every bit as good.
I think they have the race between them. Sanctioned has faced the best 3YOs along the way and will be the one I want to be on.
Ace High's 2 runs back have been tip top for a race like this and Augustus has slowly made improvement along the way. They look the biggest dangers to me.

Race 1 has some nice 3YOs on the improve.
The horse going places is Paret, but I'm concerned he will not get the tempo required to win this race. From the outside gate Bowman will have no option but to go back as Schofield did on debut.
Molten barrier 1 with McEvoy riding will lead imo. Kerrin is best on leaders and will make sure he holds that position unless something goes crazy from the outside, which I doubt. Once the lead has been secured he'll put the brakes on.
Aonair from the 2 will either sit outside Molten but more likely take the sit on his heels.
That will leave Bright Idea and Beau Geste to get the run one off the rails, 2nd and 4th.
Our Mantra can push forward but won after taking the sit last time so will probably follow that pattern.
With the slow tempo Beau Geste, Aonair and Bright Idea will get their chance to take on Molten. Paret finishing too late.
The fav Beau Geste at $2.30 is unders imo but the one to beat.

I started with nothing and still have most of it left
Straight Connector View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight Connector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 4:19pm
I think Assimilate can run a huge race on Saturday. Already has a 1400m run under his belt which was huge & first up, so he should derive much benefit from it.

Jockey & trainer combo is elite. The trainer a master at having his horses peak when it counts.

The speed will obviously be on & there are a few who will be feeling it at the 100m. Assimilate will be charging at this stage and I fully expect him to be there in the finish.

Menari will be mighty hard to beat & congrats to those who scooped the juicy odds. But he is unbackable now & at $15/4 I think Assimilate is the obvious value in the race.

Will be saving on Pariah.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 5:16pm
It's a quality race Straight Connector.
I'm sticking to my futures bets but if I was betting now from the heart I'd be dutch all 3 of Snowdens.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 5:19pm
Melbourne is playing 2nd fiddle to Rosehill Saturday.

The 1st race is for fillies and we see the return of Aloisia. She's one many on this forum will be following for sure after her last prep.
I've got her on top but it's first up so there are always worries there. Barrier 3 is good seeing it's 1400m at Caulfield but the hardest to beat imo Blondie has drawn Barrier 1 with Banish, Leather'N'Lace and Pageantry also drawn in close.
Race tempo will decide this race. Aloisia the one who can benefit no matter what the pace is.

In the 2nd race Eshtiraak finished 2nd at Moonee Valley after running into some good ones in Sydney in the Up And Coming. Hard to beat in a hard race.
Cliff's Edge who won well in Adelaide is the obvious danger but there are a few others who are capable of winning without surprising.

Throw a dart at Race 4 over 1100m, Bandipur can bounce back after being beaten by Overshare at Moonee Valley. The Adelaide win was first class imo.
I Did It Again who beat Bandipur on debut will be the one most people want. Superhard and King's Authority also in this up to their ears with the Stokes filly Counterplay.

Looking ahead at the Group 1s, Aloisia the one to watch.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 7:08pm
Good luck to you if you landed on Trapeze Artist in the Golden Rose. Stablemate of the fav and won like an odds on pop.
Champagne Cuddles showed her last start was substandard for her. Ridden to suit today and finished with a wet sail similar to her previous run where her sectionals were outstanding.
Menari and Gold Standard both raced on pace and to finish where they did was better than I thought at first.

The Gloaming bit me on the bum with Sanctioned running second. But to rub salt into the wound Ace High who I was on in the Stan Fox won like a very good horse. No doubt the Spring Champion Stakes is looming for him now.

And in the first Beau Geste winning was no surprise and one of few winners for me. Our Mantra ran up to his good form to run a close 2nd.
Paret looked to be a tired horse to me. He's got potential but I'm thinking he's too immature at this stage.

At Caulfield the day kicked off with Leather'N'Lace far too strong after getting a nice run throughout.
But the big watch if you're watching replays is Aloisia. Negative ride imo and will explode next start probably over slightly longer.

Then Cliff's Edge's win was pretty much as expected after his Adelaide win but for the less than ordinary result with Eshtiraak. Eshtiraak had the perfect possie early and within 100m he was no hope of winning. Someone fell asleep at the wheel there.

And the Adelaide form continued to shine through when Bandipur won after being the widest runner throughout the race, without cover. Nice odds for a fit horse too. I Did It Again was his own worst enemy and was a hand full and a half in the straight but did well to finish 2nd with the eye catcher King's Authority 3rd. Huge run by K'sA and he looks like he's finally hitting his straps.

I can't not mention Sirconni. What a good win against a very slick field.

Aloisia the one to watch from Caulfield for sure. She'll be winning soon and is one to watch for the Grp ones ahead. 1000 Guineas or Oaks maybe.

Ace High will no doubt be hard to beat now in the Spring Champion Stakes and Trapeze Artist is being mentioned as an Epsom chance. I can't see Champagne Cuddles headed for the Flight Stakes next week now so her program must be targeting the Champion Stakes as well on her way to the Oaks.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 11:20am
Very odd race the Golden Rose. Trapeze Artist looked like the best 3yo since Frankel. 4 wide no cover no problem. Very odd. Blinkers improved him by 8 lengths.

The Epsom also seems a very odd race for a spring 3yo. It will be interesting to see if he can repeat that run. I'm not holding my breath.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 1:23pm
Going back through results of the Epsom Todman's younger brother Noholme appears to be the last 3 yo to win the mile carrying 48 kg, he had won the WFA Hill Stk 1700 at previous start so his open company form along with the win in an all age sprint was well exposed, having watched his win yesterday and watching Egg Tart work down the straight yesty , I know what my money would be on .
WarriSymbol View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarriSymbol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 8:22pm
Couple of interesting 3yo races at Flemington on Wednesday.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by WarriSymbol WarriSymbol wrote:

Couple of interesting 3yo races at Flemington on Wednesday.

Interesting all right.

Derby Trial 1800m.
Oaks Trial 1800m.
1000m fillies race with Oscietra nommed.
Plus a 1400m h'cp.

In Sydney the fillies race has Demerara nommed, unbeaten in only two provincial races so far but has beaten some good ones with authority. 

She's a good'n.

3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 6:28pm
Trapeze Artist not going to the Epsom
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 2:40pm

I'll have a crack at it. 

Flight Stakes- Catchy, Alizee
Champion Stakes- Addictive Nature, Trekking
1000 Guineas- Whispered Secret, Catchy
Caulfield Guineas- Kementari, Royal Symphony
Vic Derby- Royal Symphony, Addictive Nature
Coolmore Stud- Menari, She Will Reign
Vic Oaks- Whispered Secret

My early tips were well off the mark.
Menari my only runner in the Golden Rose and could only manager 3rd.

Alizee the only one left in the Flight for me. If Champagne Cuddles races in this it will be 3 weeks on the trot for a baby, which is a huge ask. She's good, but would they really risk burning her out?

Addictive Nature is still in the weights for the Champion Stakes. I doubt Trekking will be seen again for a while.
Ace High the one to beat now. I think he has a mortgage on the race.

The 1000 Guineas still has Catchy running at. Alizee and Champagne Cuddles from Sydney will stretch her if they turn up though. And Aloisia is ready to fire now along with Booker and Shoals not doing anything wrong to leave them out. Great race this year if they all turn up.
Whispered Secret doesn't look to have come back as well as expected.

The Caulfield Guineas still has the boom colt Royal Symphony dominating the market.
Beat him and you win.
Kementari scratched from the Golden Rose to head here instead, and looked to need the extra distance last start. RS just oozes class though.

The Derby and Oaks were always going to be dart races that far out.
Happy to declare Aloisia for the Oaks now though. Maybe Whispered Secret is being taken along slowly for this race but will need to show something soon.

And the Coolmore still has Menari engaged. Class colt over 1200m and only needs to handle the straight as well as her does the turns to be hard to beat.

A multi Alizee, Ace High, Royal Symphony, Aloisia odds of $436.
Ace High, Royal Symphony $14 and better looks like money in the bank.
Hoffy95 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoffy95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 2:48pm
Keep an eye out 2moro for Anchor Bid on the Oaks path. Aloisia is far from being a moral just yet. 
Hoffy95 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoffy95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 2:50pm
Whispered Secret is listed as spelling by the way. 
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 9:08pm
Thanks Hoffy. Whispered Secret reminded me a bit of Samantha Miss as a late 2YO but just didn't find any half decent form. Hope she can get back for the autumn.

Anchor Bid 2 runs back at Flemington was outstanding. I understand your confidence there.
A High Chaparrel from a Zabeel mare so will handle the Oaks trip easy. Tomorrow looks like a barrier trial for her.
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 10:04pm
I note Tavistock Abbey (tomorrow Flemington) has been backed into second favourite in Sportsbet’s early Derby market. He’d want to be wining this race well to justify that you’d think, though Baker’s horse is prominent too.

Super Impose colours?
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

I note Tavistock Abbey (tomorrow Flemington) has been backed into second favourite in Sportsbet’s early Derby market. He’d want to be wining this race well to justify that you’d think, though Baker’s horse is prominent too.

Super Impose colours?

On the money Judge. Clap
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 5:06pm
The Oaks and Derby Trails were a great success at Flemington imo.
Pinot, Tavistock Abbey and Main Stage all shortening for their respective targets. Some very nice staying type 3YOs there.
But Anchor Bid didn't fire a shot. 

Demerara in Sydney showed she is still improving but I can't see a Group race for her in the near future.
Late Spring or Autumn maybe.
WarriSymbol View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarriSymbol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 6:20pm
Might be another one to note out of the Derby Trial.
Into Rio.
Fastest last 600m outside the quinella runners.
Went back to last after jumping awkwardly from the outside gate.
Was an even better run when you consider he was up in distance and was a month between runs.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 11:37pm
MV tonight was a treat.
Houtzen did what she does best and led, and won as expected.
SWR won the Muir in fantastic style. McEvoy said she jumped in the air on jumping so missed her chance to be on pace, ran further than any other horse in the race and finished with a wet sail from 3rd last. She's an absolute star.
And Showtime winning the Stutt Stks after being on pace all the way was very impressive.

Looking towards the Grp 1s, SWR probably won't be seen unless she shows up in the Coolmore. Houtzen still doesn't look like a Grp 1 horse to me unless it's over 1000m and Showtime as good as he has been to me just doesn't have that extra spark that some others have shown.
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 11:48pm
Showtimes run last time behind RS was huge off a suicidal tempo, scamanda. He’s a good horse, though I think the mile saw him out and I don’t think he’s quite good enough for the Guineas. Carbine Club horse perhaps.

The other one fro tonight is Salsamor. A few Derby types starting to emerge.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 11:49pm
The Dulcify Tomorrow has a pretty even lot engaged imo.
Hypnotist has always shown some talent and could be the one to beat.
A race worth watching with some aiming to get a run in the Grp 1s later.

The group One Flight Stks has Alizee and Champagne Cuddles at the top of the market.
CC is racing for the 3rd saturday in 3 weeks. Baker must have her eating iron filings to toughen her up.
Alizee has had the usual prep and I'm hoping she can win again.
One More Honey and Cellargirl were both close last start behind Alizee and the wide open Randwick straight could see one of them upset the top 2.

scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 11:52pm
The other one fro tonight is Salsamor. A few Derby types starting to emerge.

In the last week we've been spoilt with Derby runners. Usually it's one of the hardest races to get a handle on but now the form seems to be a little more exposed.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 8:13pm
The Dulcify usually produces a 3YO on the way up.
Ataraxia winning doesn't look to have much depth (the breeding expert might have a better idea about that though) and if there is one to follow from this year's race it would have to be Tangled or Dissolution. Both were finishing the race off nicely and could pop up in a Group 1 down the line.

And the Flight Stks went pretty much to plan.
Alizee beat Champagne Cuddles, but it was the way she did it that stood out as the best run of the 3YOs for the day. Ridden cold at the tail of the field she left the field floundering behind her about 150m from the post.
Champagne Cuddles got a perfect run through the field in the straight and loomed as the winner 250m out but Alizee was far too good.

Alizee probably heads to Melbourne after that win. And it would be hard to leave her out of calculations in any of the fillies races there.
Champagne Cuddles must be getting giddy by now. 3 runs in 3 weeks in 3YO Group company.Confused
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 12:30pm
The Thousand Guineas Prelude and the Guineas Prelude today produce a few superstar names.
Catchy taking on the unbeaten Shoals, Booker, Limestone and Roomooz.
Royal Symphony facing off with the Sydney colt Kementari as well as Invader, Perast, Eclair Sunshine and Al Passem.

Catchy and Royal Symphony deserve favouritism but it's never quite that easy.
Either way two great 3YO races.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Nice little horse down near the bottom Scamanda, Perast, hope he has grown a bit, sweet mover and has talent, could get away with this one if forward enough.

I liked this horse from the moment I saw him win at scone, some of these horses with Zabeel blood take a while to " make" imo, and he's diffinately one, I hope he can go on with it .
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 2:23pm

The Thousand Guineas Prelude and the Guineas Prelude today produce a few superstar names.
Catchy taking on the unbeaten Shoals, Booker, Limestone and Roomooz.
Royal Symphony facing off with the Sydney colt Kementari as well as Invader, Perast, Eclair Sunshine and Al Passem.

Catchy and Royal Symphony deserve favouritism but it's never quite that easy.
Either way two great 3YO races.

Well Carioca came up with the prelude winner, in the boy's division.
Perast raced on pace and was too strong for Summer Passage who really impressed.

And Booker who also raced on pace won the fillies prelude.

Catchy, Shoals, Royal Symphony and Kementari all raced back in the field and made their runs too late,but ran on all the same indication the mile will suit better.
IF the pace suits.

Catchy now the Caul Guineas fav ahead of all the boys. Dodging Alizee, Booker and Shoals might look like the fillies are better than the boys, or just in the trainer's opinion. If she goes that way.

Some very good odds now available for anything to beat Catchy.

And the bookies are keeping her safe as equal fav for the thousand Guineas too.
Catchy and Alizee ahead of Shoals and Booker and Aloisia who could surprise.

2 quality races ahead.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 2:27pm

Nice little horse down near the bottom Scamanda, Perast, hope he has grown a bit, sweet mover and has talent, could get away with this one if forward enough.

I liked this horse from the moment I saw him win at scone, some of these horses with Zabeel blood take a while to " make" imo, and he's diffinately one, I hope he can go on with it .

Spotted a long way out too mate. Well done. Clap
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 2:56pm

Spotted a long way out too mate. Well done. 

alt="Clap" title="Clap" />

Thanks mate , I enjoy the little chat.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 11:30pm

I'll have a crack at it. 

Flight Stakes- Catchy, Alizee
Champion Stakes- Addictive Nature, Trekking
1000 Guineas- Whispered Secret, Catchy
Caulfield Guineas- Kementari, Royal Symphony
Vic Derby- Royal Symphony, Addictive Nature
Coolmore Stud- Menari, She Will Reign
Vic Oaks- Whispered Secret

Well I missed out on a runner from my early darts above in the Spring Champion Stakes on saturday . Ace High after looking gone at the top of the straight last start kept kicking until he finally stretched out fully to beat Sanctioned in the Gloaming and I'm hoping that win puts him in the right frame of mind for the Spring Champion.

Sanctioned, Tangled, Dissolution and Astoria won't lay down without a fight though.
Another great race for the 3YOs.

The Roman Consul is another great race to watch. Viridine, Single Bullet, Beau Geste look the main chances but Chauffeur and Albumin will also have plenty of support.

Viridine and Single Bullet going head to head again looks most likely to me.

Flemington race 2 over 1400m has Esperance running and is a big fav of mine, with Aiming High, Sircconi, Icon Of Dubai and Hulme the big chances imo. The Flemington 1400m should suit Esperance better than the straight sprint last time where he couldn't wind up quick enough.

The UCI has another Godolphin runner with a huge chance. Animalia who won his 2nd 1600m race last start will lap up the 1800m. Cliff's Edge (crazy big odds) the main danger for me with Eshtiraak, Main Stage and Coral Coast also on the improve. Cliff's Edge's last win was very promising and Main Stage's 2nd behind Tavistock Abbey over this distance sure to have them right in the market by race time.

And the Edward Manifold Stakes has some fantastic fillies engaged.
The fav Leather'N'Lace, Anchor Bid, Blondie, Banish, look the main chances to me in one of the hardest races of the day.

The spring 3YO races never disappoint and saturday won't be any different. Gotta love spring.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic