Join up at Crownbet - Click here - Crownbet is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

The Top 3YOs 2017-18

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

The Animal Kingdom's could be coming good with distance moving up if that 2yo beating the older ones over 1600m by 7 1/2 lengths has anything to say about it.<div id="UMS_TOOLTIP" style=": ; cursor: pointer; : 2147483647; : transparent; top: -100000px; left: -100000px;">

Been out of the loop furious. Who was tge animal kingdom?
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Crownbet.

scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 9:49pm
Animalia kavg.
I started with nothing and still have most of it left
The Gooch View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Gooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 11:02pm
I've had 2 early bets on some 3yo races:

Golden Rose- Brave Song $101. I thought those odds were ridiculous after his win on Wednesday. Crossed the line with Calculated (who is $21-26) 1st up and then improved 2nd up. In the right stable and has upside. Always a query with these 2yos resuming at 3yos. Bit of a lottery as to which ones go on with it and which don't. Still $101 around some places. I know there's a few others who had a spec with me. 

VRC Oaks- Aloisia $29. Huge JJ Atkins run. Tremendous upside and bred to get better over further. Throw in Ciaron Maher who has shown he is an astute trainer of 3yo stayers and he will have this filly cherry ripe for the Oaks. 

Not declaring them the best 3yos for the season but thought they were both overs and have a nice profile for those races. 
Racing Carrot View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racing Carrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2017 at 1:34am
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

Hope Racing Carrot is rights with Ardrossan followed him out of the Melbourne Sale but you can never be sure which horses will bring their form across from NZ.  Highlad didn't bring his early NZ form across to Victoria but hope this one can.

True but very different situation with Highlad.  He won two races on a slow 9 and then a slow 8 so there was always a risk he was simply a wet tracker.  His Vic Derby run wasn't bad but generally he's disappointed in both Aussie and NZ since his first three runs.

I'm generally very wary of backing horses off NZ 2yo form as spring 3yos over 1200m in Aussie.  That caution cost me quite a bit with Saracino at Flemington last spring.  Between Summer Passage and Ardrossan that could change this year.
AdaHunta View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdaHunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2017 at 8:46am
Originally posted by scamanda scamanda wrote:

Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

I have seen two during the week Scamanda that may be worth mentioning, that is if Mother Nature allows, Solar Patch, Stratum youngster trained by Gary Moore, and one unraced youngster from the blue team named Usurp, loved its work last bit in a trial.

Solar Patch started at decent odds when you consider his barrier trial form. Not sure of the opposition he beat but he did it clearly. A strong sprint at the end.

Usurp was never let go and was overreaching/lunging down the running as a result so when he's let go we might see a good one. No doubt Godolphin had the stablemate more forward for the trial.

So if you liked the run of Usurp then Trekking would have stood out.Wink He's back bigger and better.

From the Warwick Farm trials today, Lucere who won the first 2YO trial was in another class to the others. Looked to be just doing it very easy. Then I Am Excited did the very same thing in the following trial. And Marsupial who beat Frolic on debut made her return with a strong trial win.

I Am Excited ~ Like this Snitzel filly debut run was enormous her next wasn't bad either and that trial was very impressive Scamanda  
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2017 at 1:56pm
Interesting that winner in Queensland (Basara) has the same third dam as Ardrossan.  This one was keep by her breeders while the colt was sold.
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2017 at 5:55pm
Thanks scamanda
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2017 at 7:29pm
Sorry Kavg didn't notice your post.  Thanks scamanda.
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2017 at 8:07pm
No worries furious.

Watched Animalia-not sure what to make of him as opposition had very ordinary form. Will have to see him again against better opposition.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2017 at 9:23pm
Not sure but two who peak my interest are the OTI filly from the JJ Atkins and I can not remember ever hearing Darren Weir talk about the potential of a horse as he did after Anchor Bid last week. If he gets her to Flemington on Oaks day she will give you a good sight, but maybe the autumn with her.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 1:31pm
Kavg I don't know myself if he will go on.  I was more thinking of Earth Angel as she is one of his out of Miss Finland and obviously they are wanting ground.
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 6:54pm
Very interesting pedigree there Furious with Earth Angel. Will be interesting to see if Animal Kingdom can do a better job than Street Cry did with Stay With Me. I'm sure owners would be happy if he could equal the job. May surpass it if given the chance to develop and extend over further.

Also like Anchor Bid Voyager-another interesting pedigree that Furious may be interested in. The successful High Chap-Zabeel cross but throw in the tail female family (1-n) of Zapurple which is the same as High Chap and this could be a real stayer. Her dominance in her last win shows how good potentially Royal Symphony could be.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 8:16pm
Yep second favourite female line.  Anchor Bid has both the Fairy Bridge (High Chaparral/Tate Gallery) and Special inbreeding High Chaparral/Zabeel (Nureyev).  On Paper lovely pedigree so hope she develops well.  I've picked her Snitzel colt to follow from this next season two year old crop.  He was a bit dear - $360K so hope he shows something.  Would of preferred the filly but for the life of me fillies from this line just don't get sold.  I've got one line the Decidity line which I follow after picking her back in 1993.  Bonaria is probably the best from her branch of this family although Merchant Navy could improve as a three year old also.

Would like the three Juliets Catchy, She Will Reign and Calculated to go on with the job also.  There are a few others out there from both lines which could improve in there three year old year also.  I seem to have more luck picking the 13 line good ones than the 1-n.  Bit like certain sires seem to defeat me when it comes to picking the good ones.  Had a shocker with the Snitzels I liked this year with only Jukebox showing form.  Most haven't even been seen let alone raced!  I'm no good with Smart Missile either but doing alright with So You Think and Not a Single Doubt!  For some reason I'm pretty good with Manhattan Rain also.  Pick both his black type winning two year olds his season.  While Moonovermanhattan did alright also.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 2:17pm
Rosehill trials yesterday saw this crop running as 3YOs for the first time.

Condor Heroes put in his usual tearaway trial performance winning by 6 and Menari went around behind him without being pushed but finishing strongly. 54.20 for the 900M.

And Team Hawkes produced Showtime to win his trial in 54.10 with the field much closer than the other trial.

All 3 have shown talent before so I'm keen to follow all 3.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 7:30pm
The season gets a little hotter with The Rosebud run this saturday at Rosehill.
Not long now 'til the Grp 1s get underway.

Race 6 - 2:55PM SMITHFIELD RSL CLUB ROSEBUD (1100 METRES)Times displayed in local time of Race Meeting
Of $150,000.1st $84,750, 2nd $28,500, 3rd $13,500, 4th $6,750, 5th $3,750, 6th $2,250, 7th $2,250, 8th $2,250, 9th $2,250, 10th $2,250, Equine Welfare Fund $1,500. 
Starter Subsidy $200. LISTED
Quality, Minimum Weight 53kg, Three-Years-Old, Apprentices cannot claim.
BOBS Bonus available: $22,500

Track Name: Main Track Type: Turf 

Field Limit: 14 + 4 EM

NoLast 10HorseTrainerJockeyBarrierWeightPenaltyHcp Rating
12x170xDIAMOND TATHAGATABOBS Bonus SchemeMark NewnhamBlake Shinn660.5kg82
212540xMENARIBOBS Bonus SchemeGerald RyanJoshua Parr560.5kg82
31x20xTREKKINGBOBS Bonus SchemeJames CummingsBrenton Avdulla256.5kg74
411SIEGE OF QUEBECBOBS Bonus SchemeGai Waterhouse & Adrian BottTim Clark154.5kg70
545x1OVERSHAREBOBS Bonus SchemeMichael, Wayne & John HawkesTommy Berry754kg69
631xI AM EXCITEDBOBS Bonus SchemeDavid PfiefferCorey Brown353kg69
7136xPERASTBOBS Bonus SchemePaul PerryAndrew Adkins (a)853kg63
836x457xLIGHTZBOBS Bonus SchemeJim & Greg LeeMs Kathy O'Hara453kg62
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 8:08pm
Nice little horse down near the bottom Scamanda, Perast, hope he has grown a bit, sweet mover and has talent, could get away with this one if forward enough.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 8:35pm
I'm not sold on Perast after watching his last trial. Was he trying or just wanting to join in the romp with the other horse?
The penny is yet to drop imo.

I wish they'd scrap these set weights and penalty races. Siege Of Quebec gets 54.5 while Trekking gets 56.5 and Menari (and Diamond Tathagata) have to carry 60.5. Just drop the penalties or have a bloody handicap.

Trekking's trial has me convinced he's the real deal now. And at good odds to find out.

I Am Excited's trial is still fresh in my mind as well. Seemed to be cantering whole the others were under pressure to try and keep up.

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 10:56pm
Agree totally re the penalties Scamanda, youngsters starting their 3 yo season and burdened with 9 st 7 lb in the old means they pay heavily for a win or two in listed or black type, even a quality type handicap with a max would be fairer, but trainers know this before they nom. they are the ones who should bring this up, don't hold your breath , haven't seen the other horses trial, will have a look out of curiosity, cheers.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 5:10pm
Menari shows us the winter form is just that and should be treated as such.
60.5 kgs and wins running away from a very good classy field.

Right in the running for the Golden Rose now.

I wonder how long he can stay up. The Coolmore looks the perfect race but is in November.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 8:22pm
How on earth did Menari rate 60.5.  He had one win before today a G3 place and a G1 4th.  So you get weighted the same as a G2 winner and 5kg over a dual winner from two starts.  Or carry 5kg more that Trekking who had a win and a G3 placing to his name also.  No wonder so many good two year olds don't come on.  They are unfairly weighted.  If he was already a Group winner he should of got that weight but until today he didn't have a stakes race to his name.  Talk about over kill.  
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 8:30pm
Great to see him come up. Hope the filly does as well
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 8:42pm
Me too - it does kind of rate the Golden Slipper form but honestly it still seems unfair weighting to me.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 8:45pm
What you said was spot on mate
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 9:15pm

Rosehill trials yesterday saw this crop running as 3YOs for the first time.

Condor Heroes put in his usual tearaway trial performance winning by 6 and Menari went around behind him without being pushed but finishing strongly. 54.20 for the 900M.

And Team Hawkes produced Showtime to win his trial in 54.10 with the field much closer than the other trial.

All 3 have shown talent before so I'm keen to follow all 3.

Two good 3YO races at Canterbury Wednesday.
The first has one I blackbooked after his last trial. Showtime.
60 kgs at first sounds like a huge weight in a maiden handicap but we saw what the better 3YOs can do with those weights when Menari won on saturday.

Race 1 - 1:25PM MCGRATH ESTATE AGENTS HANDICAP (1100 METRES)Times displayed in local time of Race Meeting
Of $40,000.1st $22,200, 2nd $8,000, 3rd $4,000, 4th $1,900, 5th $1,000, 6th $500, 7th $500, 8th $500, 9th $500, 10th $500, Equine Welfare Fund $400. 
Starter Subsidy $200. 
Maiden, Handicap, Minimum Weight 53kg, Three-Years-Old, Apprentices can claim.
BOBS Bonus available: $11,250

Track Name: Main Track Type: Turf 

Field Limit: 14 + 4 EM

NoLast 10HorseTrainerJockeyBarrierWeightPenaltyHcp Rating
12x4342xSHOWTIMEBOBS Bonus SchemeMichael, Wayne & John HawkesTommy Berry460kg
2248x2FAEGERBOBS Bonus SchemePeter & Paul SnowdenBlake Shinn356kg
3MY ZEBRINKABOBS Bonus SchemeRon QuintonAndrew Adkins (a1.5/50kg)755.5kg
449xEXCELSIORBOBS Bonus SchemeJohn O'SheaBrenton Avdulla555kg
50x22SONGLIKEBOBS Bonus SchemeBjorn BakerTim Clark154.5kg
6READYCATGOBOBS Bonus SchemeDavid PfiefferKerrin McEvoy253.5kg
77KAFFKABOBS Bonus SchemeMatthew SmithJay Ford653kg
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 9:52pm
Beacon in race 6 Benchmark 74 looks to get his chance again too.
Barrier 10 but he has shown real good early speed both in his trial and win at Wyong. Kerrin McEvoy to lead on him and kick on the turn.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 12:21pm

And Esperance winning by 8L at Echuca. Yep only Echuca in a maiden but his time was very good compared to the other 2YO maiden winners on the day.
It's a long way from Echuca to Flemington but I think he'll get there and be a winner.

An article from http://www.breednet.com.au/news/136091/One-to-Watch-%E2%80%93-Echuca

One to Watch – Echuca
Tara Madgwick - Thursday, 27 July 2017
It was only a juvenile maiden at Echuca, but this Godolphin homebred gapped them by eight lengths and ran more than a second and a half faster than the two other maiden races at the same trip.

Bernardini

Bernardini

Prepared by James Cummings, two year-old Bernardini (USA) gelding Esperance stalked the leader and shot away down the running to win the 1100 metre scamper as he pleased.

While the other two maiden races run over this distance were juvenile maidens, this one was also for older horses and Esperance gave them a galloping lesson.

Esperance is a half-brother to Group II winner Obsequious and is the third winner from Commands mare Sycophant, who was on-sold by Darley at the 2015 Inglis Broodmare Sale for $30,000.

Sandown, first stop on his way to Flemington.

Kept short at $1.35 (SportsBet).
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 10:10pm
Anyone got thoughts or Intel on

Land of plenty
Ploverset
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

Anyone got thoughts or Intel on

Land of plenty
Ploverset

Land of Plenty is a 4YO now.
Neither have had an official barrier trial that I can find.

scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 12:53pm
Wednesday only continued to show us the up and coming horses in Sydney aren't as good as first expected.
Songlike beating Showtime with from watching looked like it was sit and sprint. She deserved to win one but I doubt she'll go on to any great heights.
And Super Ex who couldn't beat Catesby or D'Argento smashed to others.

Super Ex the only one worth following for me.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 1:03pm
Small field but all quality.
Formality likely to lead easily and the final 100m to decide the race.
Alizee in great form and Formality cantered to win her barrier trial.

Can Alizee run her down?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic