Join up at Sportsbet - Click here

Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

The Top 3YOs 2017-18

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Top 3YOs 2017-18
    Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 3:43pm
The current 2YO crop turn 3YO in just under 2 weeks and then it's all systems go with the early spring races getting very close.

Starting with the fillies:
Catchy the big name from Victoria will be well schooled out at Euroa. Formality the other one that comes to mind.
While Sydney have She Will Reign likely leading the charge with Queensland represented by Houtzen.
Others like Whispered Secret and Alizee who won a trial well yesterday and the new comer Songlike all not without claims in black type races in the months ahead.

The colts and geldings:
Melbourne have Royal Symphony who has impressed the most so far and the odds of him making it to Sydney are very big with the Guineas and Derby maybe luring McEvoy and the owners.
No doubt some will be waiting to see what odds are available when Addictive Nature is included into the betting against him for the big Group 1s.
Menari trialed really well yesterday as well along with one from Singo's stud called State Of Play.
Many haven't been seen yet like Pariah, Kementari, Property etc.

And then we have the new boys like Calculated, Brave Song, Marble, Siege Of Quebec and co.

So who's happy to go out on a limb and name their top pick for the upcoming 3YO Group 1s?

Golden Rose
Flight Stakes
Champion Stakes
Thousand Guineas
Caulfield Guineas
Victoria Derby
Coolmore Stud Stakes
Vic Oaks

I started with nothing and still have most of it left
Sponsored Links
Click here to grab your bonuses when you join up with Sportsbet.

scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 4:38pm
I'll have a crack at it. 

Golden Rose- Kementari, Menari ( presuming no Royal Symphony in Sydney)
Flight Stakes- Catchy, Alizee
Champion Stakes- Addictive Nature, Trekking
1000 Guineas- Whispered Secret, Catchy
Caulfield Guineas- Kementari, Royal Symphony
Vic Derby- Royal Symphony, Addictive Nature
Coolmore Stud- Menari, She Will Reign
Vic Oaks- Whispered Secret

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 8:15pm
Good thread Scamanda, I've got a few races in mind but not all at the moment,
Caulfield Guineas    Revenire. Lone Eagle
One Thousand GNS. Catchy.        ( the rest to come).
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 8:25pm
Money Maher, WA late Spring/early Summer and East Coast in the Autumn.
Balciano View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balciano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 8:52pm
Last time I tried this I selected Drago to be the dominant 3 yr old. 4 years later, still waiting for that elusive next win.

Good post Scamanda, hope you have some luck. Will be watching with intetest.
SHOVHOG View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHOVHOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 9:59pm
Would probably keep an eye on a couple from the McEvoy stable
" In gambling the many must lose in order for the few to win"
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 10:16pm
Always really tough but there is often real value in the early markets as I think the gun 2yos tend to dominate. Having said that, a quick look at Sportbets market for the CG and non-Slipper/Diamond horses look to be prominent.

Royal Symphony could well be a star but I think Cliff's Edge will make a nice 3yo. Well found though so think I'll wait.
AdaHunta View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdaHunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 10:56pm
I have a few on my radar but out of the ones you mentioned I think Whispered Secret will be a lovely 3yr old 

Ive been on that filly since her debut she raced on those Heavy tracks she's much better on top of the ground think she will end up a WFA filly 

Luva Punt View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luva Punt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 7:23am
Confused

Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Money Maher, WA late Spring/early Summer and East Coast in the Autumn.

There is not really a lot of substance to your character.

You are either infecting the forum with your toxic, negative, condascending barbs, or shamelessly promoting your own bloddlines endlessly, in this case promoting a Treasury Notes progeny that hasn't even benn good enough to win a amaiden, as now one of the top #YO's of 2017-2018 ???

ConfusedConfused   Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
SHOVHOG View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHOVHOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 8:17am
I thought he was having a laugh. Money maher
Racing Carrot View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racing Carrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 9:47am
Ardrossan for the colts.

Aloisia was useful in her two Australian runs late in the season.
2Square View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Square Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 11:32am
Al Passem is one to keep an eye on over the spring
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 12:35pm
I don't think you can put She will Reign in any of the above races.  Reads she will go up against open class from the start and only have a few runs ending with the Everest.

If you put Houtzen in then you can't ignore Chauffeur.

Likewise with Catchy you have to think of Limestone.  She could be the first stand out Helmet.

Property and Pariah were close - it will be interesting to see if either comes back and can step up to the mile.

Likewise it would be great for Pierro if Tulip comes back in stakes winning form.

With She Will Reign off the three year old scene it's up to Frolic and Tulip to bring the best from the Slipper forwards.

Invader, The Mission, Whispered Secret, Capital Gain, Melody Belle, Royal Symphony, Summer Passage, Trapeze Artist, Merchant Navy, Time Awaits, Broadband, Aloisia and Toga Picta are the two year olds with liking for a further trip.  But they have all those later maturing types waiting in the wings who always turn up even early in the season.

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 12:44pm
Well done furious, I was waiting for your response.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Well done furious, I was waiting for your response.

Forgot about Limestone, gutsy filly, I like her a lot fwiw.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 4:51pm
The Animal Kingdom's could be coming good with distance moving up if that 2yo beating the older ones over 1600m by 7 1/2 lengths has anything to say about it.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

The Animal Kingdom's could be coming good with distance moving up if that 2yo beating the older ones over 1600m by 7 1/2 lengths has anything to say about it.<div id="UMS_TOOLTIP" style=": ; cursor: pointer; : 2147483647; : transparent; top: -100000px; left: -100000px;">

Yep, seem him win, don't know of the calibre he beat, but the further into the race he went the more comfortable he looked, might be on to something there furious.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 6:13pm
Will be interesting if the Miss Finland can win a G1 like her Street Cry filly.  I forgot Earth Angel earlier but maybe we should remember her also.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 8:09pm
Animalia had form around Noviero. Earlier we had 3YO Goldfinch beat the older ones by 4L too.
The horses they're beating aren't exactly top shelf though.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Racing Carrot Racing Carrot wrote:

Ardrossan for the colts.

Aloisia was useful in her two Australian runs late in the season.

Aloisia is one I've speculated with. Her J J Atkins run was huge.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 1:03pm
Two to race in the past week.

Brave Song winning at Canterbury with ease was expected. He's shaping as one of the better up and coming 3YOs to come.

And Esperance winning by 8L at Echuca. Yep only Echuca in a maiden but his time was very good compared to the other 2YO maiden winners on the day.
It's a long way from Echuca to Flemington but I think he'll get there and be a winner.

An article from http://www.breednet.com.au/news/136091/One-to-Watch-%E2%80%93-Echuca

One to Watch – Echuca
Tara Madgwick - Thursday, 27 July 2017
It was only a juvenile maiden at Echuca, but this Godolphin homebred gapped them by eight lengths and ran more than a second and a half faster than the two other maiden races at the same trip.

Bernardini

Bernardini

Prepared by James Cummings, two year-old Bernardini (USA) gelding Esperance stalked the leader and shot away down the running to win the 1100 metre scamper as he pleased.

While the other two maiden races run over this distance were juvenile maidens, this one was also for older horses and Esperance gave them a galloping lesson.

Esperance is a half-brother to Group II winner Obsequious and is the third winner from Commands mare Sycophant, who was on-sold by Darley at the 2015 Inglis Broodmare Sale for $30,000.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 1:29pm
I have seen two during the week Scamanda that may be worth mentioning, that is if Mother Nature allows, Solar Patch, Stratum youngster trained by Gary Moore, and one unraced youngster from the blue team named Usurp, loved its work last bit in a trial.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 1:38pm
You would think that last one would be a sprinter Carioca - Lonhro, Exceed and Excel, Zeditave, Kaoru Star, Lunchtime - not a bad line up and decends from the dam of Ajax.

Hope Racing Carrot is rights with Ardrossan followed him out of the Melbourne Sale but you can never be sure which horses will bring their form across from NZ.  Highlad didn't bring his early NZ form across to Victoria but hope this one can.
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 6:19pm
Just looked at the replay and Solar Patch was terrific Furious. According to R&S he's a full bro to Running Tall who ran 2nd to Sepoy before winning the G2 Sires P, then off to Singapore. In good hands with GMoore.
SHOVHOG View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHOVHOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 6:43pm
A few people getting carried away with some mid week winter form. Wait until the A graders come back that will sort them out.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 6:46pm
Always some from left field Shovhog.
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by SHOVHOG SHOVHOG wrote:

A few people getting carried away with some mid week winter form. Wait until the A graders come back that will sort them out.

Good point!

Also there will be some top-liners that have not emerged yet, perhaps still waiting to debut!
Current Stable - Soul Star & Adivinar
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 7:09pm
A glance at 3yo Timeform ratings suggests the best often come from relative 2yo obscurity so it's not a bad thing to be casting the net widely. Hopefully we'll have a very competitive group next season, including a few competitive at WFA as we get towards 2018. We need it.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

I have seen two during the week Scamanda that may be worth mentioning, that is if Mother Nature allows, Solar Patch, Stratum youngster trained by Gary Moore, and one unraced youngster from the blue team named Usurp, loved its work last bit in a trial.

Solar Patch started at decent odds when you consider his barrier trial form. Not sure of the opposition he beat but he did it clearly. A strong sprint at the end.

Usurp was never let go and was overreaching/lunging down the running as a result so when he's let go we might see a good one. No doubt Godolphin had the stablemate more forward for the trial.

So if you liked the run of Usurp then Trekking would have stood out.Wink He's back bigger and better.

From the Warwick Farm trials today, Lucere who won the first 2YO trial was in another class to the others. Looked to be just doing it very easy. Then I Am Excited did the very same thing in the following trial. And Marsupial who beat Frolic on debut made her return with a strong trial win.

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 7:57pm
Could be a vintage year for the 3 yo, hope springs eternal...agree with Trekking mate.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic