Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

The best ever racehorse and your fave horse

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 8:48am
Whale, I think people choose others as their fave, for more personal reasons.
Some of our fave horses, we havent even backed.

When you think about it, Winx goes around over the odds at $1.15, $1.25. Very generous odds.
Vo Rogue was very likable. So tough.

Super Impose was a ripper. The late 80's and early 90's, was like a dynasty era of champions.
Lets Elope, Vo Rogue, Better Loosen Up, Bonecrusher(87), Rubiton, Rough Habit, Naturalism, etc etc.
It was like a 6 to 7 year period of very very good horses.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

The good old days are rarely today Whale. 

True but more to it than that.

For instance if I was interested in racing in the 80's I am sure Vo Rogue would have been my favourite at that time, simply thrilling to watch.

The only excitement in watching Winx is hoping she continues her winning ways, a few hope she will lose Smile
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 11:45am
Not entirely true if you watched her turnbull.  That was a race totally unscripted and she still won.  I much prefer a runner who has to come from behind to a front runner who stops the field and romps home because he had a breather.

But favourite is a different thing totally and we usually go back to one we knew early on.  I think he was more adaptable than Winx but she has been more durable and consistent.  If just on whats racing today she wins hands down.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by Redemption Redemption wrote:

Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

Winx is the best ever for mine, longevity is a part of it for also and look how many races she's won multiple times in adition to the Cox Plates, 3 x George Ryder, 3 x Chipping Norton, 3 x George Main, sure to make that 4 of the first 2 and a 3rd Queen Elizabeth in the autumn.

Fav horse Zipping, he was just so honest, could have perhaps won a Group 1 earlier with another owner but wouldn't have had the long career he did perhaps including winning the 4 strait classics.

Zipping was the most under-rated horse of the modern era in my opinion.
He didnt have a turn of foot, but just so very honest.
In the Cox Plate, when So You Think beat him, watch the race closely at the 400 and 300m, Zipping was left flat footed, but once the motor got going, he was closing in on So You Think.
Zipping also often went around at juicy odds, maybe proving he was always under-rated.

I don't think it's strictly true he was underrated, in all of his stakes wins he only started at double figure odds once, in his Turnbull Stakes win and even than he was under 20-1 in a hot field.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 2:23pm

Winx is the best ever for mine, longevity is a part of it for also and look how many races she's won multiple times in adition to the Cox Plates, 3 x George Ryder, 3 x Chipping Norton, 3 x George Main, sure to make that 4 of the first 2 and a 3rd Queen Elizabeth in the autumn.

Fav horse Zipping, he was just so honest, could have perhaps won a Group 1 earlier with another owner but wouldn't have had the long career he did perhaps including winning the 4 strait classics.

Zipping was the most under-rated horse of the modern era in my opinion.
He didnt have a turn of foot, but just so very honest.
In the Cox Plate, when So You Think beat him, watch the race closely at the 400 and 300m, Zipping was left flat footed, but once the motor got going, he was closing in on So You Think.
Zipping also often went around at juicy odds, maybe proving he was always under-rated.

I don't think it's strictly true he was underrated, in all of his stakes wins he only started at double figure odds once, in his Turnbull Stakes win and even than he was under 20-1 in a hot field.

His consistency when fav was unsurpassed ...   About 12 of 13 when fav or near to==
Didn't he win an Australian Cup at long odds too.

Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 2:32pm
Started at $6 when he won the Australian Cup according to Racing Australia.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 2:50pm

Their records aren't as good as my reliable brain.
I remember getting 25/1 and didn't have enough on to shorten him that much .
I must have tipped him to Scamanda.
      Shocking was a short priced fav.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 2:53pm
Winx is managed perfectly to take full advantage of her outstanding ability. Same preparation every time, limited number of races per campaign spaced perfectly, no handicaps, same riding tacting stay back and wide if possible to keep out of trouble.

Brilliant horse, why then does it seem like cheating to me, I would do the same I guess but I hate the no risk policy
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 2:55pm
Phar Lap must surely be your favorite Macca.After all, you and Carioca most likely had the pleasure of watching him race.  Big smile
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 2:56pm

Whale, I think people choose others as their fave, for more personal reasons.
Some of our fave horses, we havent even backed.

When you think about it, Winx goes around over the odds at $1.15, $1.25. Very generous odds.
Vo Rogue was very likable. So tough.

Super Impose was a ripper. The late 80's and early 90's, was like a dynasty era of champions.
Lets Elope, Vo Rogue, Better Loosen Up, Bonecrusher(87), Rubiton, Rough Habit, Naturalism, etc etc.
It was like a 6 to 7 year period of very very good horses.

Yeah and that's the era I got into racing. Have been disappointed with a lot of seasons after that because there hasn't seemed to have been many great ones going round at the same time. I remember getting pretty bored with racing for a couple of years around the time Its a Dundeel was considered the best. But I liked Fiorente and a couple of mares like Appearance and Sacred Falls etc. Bloody Boban went on a winning streak at the time I think! And Shamus Award won the Cox? Might be mixing up a few
Seasons there but I remember losing interest for a while. Hardly comparable to the era of Better Loosen Up, Super Impose, Let's Elope etc etc.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 3:01pm
Did you see Carbine race maxie?
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 3:04pm

Managed to find a picture of Macca riding him

Image result for carbine horse
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

Winx is managed perfectly to take full advantage of her outstanding ability. Same preparation every time, limited number of races per campaign spaced perfectly, no handicaps, same riding tacting stay back and wide if possible to keep out of trouble.

Brilliant horse, why then does it seem like cheating to me, I would do the same I guess but I hate the no risk policy

Won her first Cox plate with rails runs ,   was in a hopeless pocket on the rails in the most recent Turnbull ( best effort ever )

Granted he tends to take the precaution of wide , but she wins from anywhere.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 3:07pm

NO PT ,     But my son was there.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 3:27pm
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

She won the Epsom and the Doncaster handicap.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

]

She won the Epsom and the Doncaster handicap.

So did Gunsynd
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 9:06pm
Best I have seen Might And Power.

My fav is hard, but have always said Rough Habit.

Soft spot for a few country gallopers like Jet Fighter, Mr Innocent, Legal Agent and Spanish Mix, who eventually wound up with John Hawkes. Our Maizcay Mr Tiz and Castletown my other fav NZ'ers.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 9:32pm
Who remembers Moss Rocket, talking of country horses ?    
And, PT, that other good one come from up round Glenn Innes trained by an old bushie  ?  Just came to me !!  Tinys Finito.
And what about Lightning Bend ? And Akwazoff ?   How many country cups did he win ?  And Dancing Sun ?  Loved Mr Innocent and old Mal.  Newtons Rings ?
animals before people.
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 5:24am
Wendy’s Star, Mahaya, Passatruel, itchy Feet, Street Ruffian
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 5:46am
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

Shocking didn't run in Zippings Australian Cup, that was the year the Cup was delayed a week due to the storm immediately after the Newmarket, Shocking was scratched from the delayed race, given the option to run the next week but scratched again, Shocking and Shoot Out did vie for favourite in Zippings Turnbull win however and the old boy won at around $26, maybe you've got your Flemington 2000m races mixed up?
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 8:42am

Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

Shocking didn't run in Zippings Australian Cup, that was the year the Cup was delayed a week due to the storm immediately after the Newmarket, Shocking was scratched from the delayed race, given the option to run the next week but scratched again, Shocking and Shoot Out did vie for favourite in Zippings Turnbull win however and the old boy won at around $26, maybe you've got your Flemington 2000m races mixed up?

Your right.    . That's Whale's fault.
Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 9:13am
Winx got hammered and checked a few times in a Sydney race a few years ago, cant recall which race, think it was at Randwick.
She still hustled and bustled her way through with guts.

When you watch Enabled, Almond Eye, they are super super horses.
But they need to do that about 20 more times in a row to prove longevity.

Ive always had a soft spot for Winx, because after she won in Queensland, I was betting her months before her first Cox Plate and was snapping up $15 etc.
She was even $15, 9 days before her first Cox Plate.

I do agree with Whale though, the management of her is almost too careful.
Too afraid.

I want to see her thrown into The Everest as one of her final runs. Push her out early, ride her to win from the 1200m. It takes her a while to get into those gears.
She will probably be retired though in April.

Super Impose was one of the best swoopers.
Telesto comes to mind too, as a bit under-rated. Flew home.

Maybe 1987 to 1998 was the dynasty era, because that also includes Octagonal, Saintly, Filante, Might and Power, Doriemus, etc.
Those 10 years, which included Vo Rogue, Better Loosen Up, Horlicks, etc, were world standard.
Octagonal and Saintly, Might and Power, they were world standard.
Octagonal ran faster sectionals than Kingston Town.
It just rarely looked that way, because Saintly was right there with him, so it always looked like a tough slog, but in reality, they were absolutely flying, reeling off incredible sectionals.

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 5:36am
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Phar Lap must surely be your favorite Macca.After all, you and Carioca most likely had the pleasure of watching him race.  Big smile

Bravo !!! ClapClapClap
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 5:44am
Best horse ever:  Bernborough... my parents told me tales of him and I've seen film.  He was magic.

my favourite horse(s)...no surprise...the gallant but continually maligned, Hay List...and my darling Mustard, who lives on at Somersby...     HeartHeart
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 5:59am
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

Best horse ever:  Bernborough... my parents told me tales of him and I've seen film.  He was magic.

my favourite horse(s)...no surprise...the gallant but continually maligned, Hay List...and my darling Mustard, who lives on at Somersby...     HeartHeart

Bernborough also was successful at stud, in America...most people don't know enough about him. He carried massive weights and won from impossible situations... 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 6:10am
Oh great Post Jujuno.

My Grandparents arrived in Australia when Bernborough was going around.
They went to all his races.
The biggest thing I remember about their stories of Bernborough, was he made the ground shake.
They reckon if you stood near the fence to watch him run past, he made a thundering sound.
They thought he was the greatest horse ever.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 6:20am
Greater than Kincsem?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 7:27am

Greater than Kincsem?

Probably.
My grandparents werent the only ones that described Bernborough as "thunder".
Ive heard many people say he literally shook the ground when he thundered past. He must have run with tremendous power and weight.
Only a few horses are ever truly mentioned in our upper echelon of racing in Australia.
Phar Lap, Carbine, Tulloch, Bernborough. Those and just a few others are always the names that pop up.
Bernborough is certainly in that rare upper echelon. Hall of Famer.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 8:04am
Bernborough is in Winx's pedigree.  Through the sire of the dam Al Akbar.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>