Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

The Ashes Summer 2017-2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 6:36pm
Lyon got a Root
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by RED HUNTER RED HUNTER wrote:

Lyon got a Root

And so he should ..    If he is to overtake Warne's record, apart from taking a few more wickets, he needs to root every hour of every day for about 5 years.

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 11:48am
Cheese & Rice

Can you believe =   $103 million in the cricket pool. Betfair.

OZ $1.37 =    England &1000 =     Draw $3.7.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 11:59am
The weather must be doubtful, nothing else can save England, the pitch has had it.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 12:07pm
I just looked at a weather app on my iphone and it has it 90% to 30% chance of rain for the entire day.
$3.70 the draw might be worthwhile.
I started with nothing and still have most of it left
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 12:10pm
I put my Qld Labor, LNP leader return all up Aust win or draw so either way is fine
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 12:12pm
halvzies? Big smile
I started with nothing and still have most of it left
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 12:12pm
Only $1.20 but easy money LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 1:37pm
Draw firming up, Smith might be getting nervous ! The delayed declaration did seem a little silly.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 5:14pm
Nice Garrrrry!Thumbs Up
cabosanlucas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

Nice Garrrrry!Thumbs Up

has anyone tickled one down to fine leg today?

just got home...
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by cabosanlucas cabosanlucas wrote:

Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

Nice Garrrrry!Thumbs Up

has anyone tickled one down to fine leg today?

just got home...

on cue!
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 5:32pm
Must be time for some classic Brian Johnston quotes Cabo:

"The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey" - as Peter Willey faces up to Michael Holding*

"Turner looks a bit shaky and unsteady, but I think he's going to bat on...one ball left" - after Turner was hit on the box by the penultimate ball of the match

"Neil Harvey's at slip, with his legs wide apart, waiting for a tickle" 

"This bowler's like my dog: three short legs and balls which swing each way" 

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 7:00pm
Too easy, you'd think the weather was going to intervene, the way the draw shortened up, but no worries there.
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 7:29pm
Far too easy...

Those who bet OZ after the first day when the POMs looked like they would do something with 4 wickets down cleaned up good.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 7:41pm
You watching somehow over in the US Brudder?  Smile
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

You watching somehow over in the US Brudder?  Smile

I've been following in Ukraine via VPN to UK and India.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 8:47pm
Interesting day and a good win.
One Oz captain, Mr Smith ,    isn't getting the credit for his averages as he commenced cricket tests as a bowler who batted at No 8 and scored few runs .     That is all that keeps him well behind Donald Bradman's freakish figures.
   I haven't delved into the numbers since Smith graduated as a BATSMAN but I'm sure the cricket Tragic's will know.
How good is he ?????
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 8:57pm
Still determined to undermine old Bradman ? Averages, of course, have also to be compared to the number of innings played. I saw somewhere where Adam Voges is right up there with test averages, but of course, not many innings.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

Still determined to undermine old Bradman ? Averages, of course, have also to be compared to the number of innings played. I saw somewhere where Adam Voges is right up there with test averages, but of course, not many innings.

NO Max,   undermine Bradman isn't the right word.

We all have the soft spot that has us being attached to older champions and not recognising that most things today are much more advanced , much more difficult than yesteryear.           . it's a new ball game.

12 year olds are swimming faster than Dawn Frazer today.

Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

We all have the soft spot that has us being attached to older champions and not recognising that most things today are much more advanced , much more difficult than yesteryear.           . it's a new ball game.

so you are saying are saying Dawn Fraser was not a champion, or not as much of one as the 12 yr olds LOL

Even going by your dotard reasoning, Bradman's average is 35 more than Smith's. Or are you saying the bowlers were no good and the uncovered pitches and no helmets helped him ? Confused
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 9:45pm
SWIMMING legend Dawn Fraser has been voted Australia's greatest ever female athlete at an awards ceremony in Canberra.

But Macca knows better Confused
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

so you are saying are saying Dawn Fraser was not a champion, or not as much of one as the 12 yr olds LOL

Even going by your dotard reasoning, Bradman's average is 35 more than Smith's. Or are you saying the bowlers were no good and the uncovered pitches and no helmets helped him ? Confused

And don’t forget that if batting was much easier in the past then why didn’t anyone else average as well as Bradman? No one came within 30 runs of his average. The best (outside Bradman) then averaged the same/similar as the best now. Just more faulty logic from you know who.
ThreeBears View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 10:29pm
Bradman had more class and skill than modern batsmen who enjoy superior equipment and vastly better  playing surfaces. There is no question whatsoever. Those doubting this know sfa about the game.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 10:43pm
I am not sure what Bradman's ace card was. One shield cricketer I spoke to, thought he had unwavering concentration. That would be a guess, of course. But I recall Bradman once said he wasn't looking at getting to milestones like 50's or 100's, only in getting as many as possible. I would reckon that many more batsman go out between 100 and 110, than in the 90's. They lose concentration after getting to the target.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 11:45pm
Bradman Troubled war years
Bradman joined the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) on 28 June 1940 and was passed fit for air crew duty.[119] The RAAF had more recruits than it could equip and train and Bradman spent four months in Adelaide before the Governor-General of Australia, Lord Gowrie, persuaded Bradman to transfer to the army, a move that was criticised as a safer option for him.[7] Given the rank of Lieutenant, he was posted to the Army School of Physical Training at Frankston, Victoria, to act as a divisional supervisor of physical training. The exertion of the job aggravated his chronic muscular problems, diagnosed as fibrositis. Surprisingly, in light of his batting prowess, a routine army test revealed that Bradman had poor eyesight.[120]

Invalided out of service in June 1941, Bradman spent months recuperating, unable even to shave himself or comb his hair due to the extent of the muscular pain he suffered. He resumed stockbroking during 1942.
     hahahahahaha.   Cured of his ills by the Japanese Surrender..

Mat      Inns      NO      100s      50s      0s      HS        Runs      Avg      S/R      Ca      St Innings No
     Inns      NO      100s      50s      0s      HS        Runs      Avg      S/R      Ca      St
First      22      1      9      4      1      334      2387      113.67            10      0
Second      28      1      10      1      3      304      2310      85.56            3      0
Third      15      3      7      4      0      270      1565      130.42            3      0
Fourth      15      5      3      4      3      173*      734      73.40            7      0
Overall      80      10      29      13      7      334      6996
     99.94            32      0
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Smith
2010      4      8      0      0      1      0      77      187      23.38      59.74      3      0
2011      1      2      1      0      1      0      54*      72      72.00      50.35      0      0
2013      11      21      2      2      3      1      138*      711      37.42      45.87      10      0
2014      9      17      3      5      4      2      192      1146      81.86      59.91      8      0
2015      13      24      4      6      5      0      215      1474      73.70      62.09      15      0
2016      11      18      3      4      5      1      165*      1079      71.93      58.74      29      0
2017      10      18      2      5      2      0      239      1127      70.44      52.61      21      0
Overall (7)      59      108      15      22      21      4      239      5796      62.32      56.43      86      0
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 8:50am

I am not sure what Bradman's ace card was. One shield cricketer I spoke to, thought he had unwavering concentration. That would be a guess, of course. But I recall Bradman once said he wasn't looking at getting to milestones like 50's or 100's, only in getting as many as possible. I would reckon that many more batsman go out between 100 and 110, than in the 90's. They lose concentration after getting to the target.

Clue? In his entire Test career, despite being the most prolific big scorer in history, he hit only 6 sixes. 
cabosanlucas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 10:46am
its a batsman game nowadays and has been for ages. the reasons are obvious.

spend 5 mins looking at footage and the players from the 70's and 80's and its as clear as mud.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 11:19am

spend 5 mins looking at footage and the players from the 70's and 80's and its as clear as mud.

That's how it appears .   Many slow scoring batsman , long ago.
Players of today face the scoring rates that has them at more risk . I expect the equipment/ pitch improvement makes up for that.

Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 11:25am

That's how it appears .   Many slow scoring batsman , long ago.
Players of today face the scoring rates that has them at more risk . I expect the equipment/ pitch improvement makes up for that.

CURRENT TEST RECORDS STILL HELD BY DON BRADMAN

• Highest Individual Test Batting Average (minimum 15 innings) 99.94
  • Highest Test Batting Average for a 5-Test Series 201.50 (v South Africa, Australia, 1931-32)
  • Equal top-scorer of triple centuries (with Lara) 2
  • 5th wicket partnership (with Sid Barnes 1946-47) 405
  • Only Test batsman to score more than 5,000 runs v an opponent (5,028 v England)
  • 7 times scored 500 or more runs in a Test series (Equal with Lara)
  • Six times scored centuries in an interval (once pre lunch, twice lunch-tea, three times tea-stumps)
  • Scored the most runs in a single day’s play 309 v England, Leeds, 1930
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>