Join up at Crownbet - Click here - Crownbet is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Terrorists at it again

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 49>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 11:40am
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

I think I've just stumbled across something.....Acacia,  Fiddler, Baguette & myself have all lived in the Western Suburbs of Sydney (& worked in my case)....would not mind betting Tilt does as well....I scrambled out to the northern suburbs a few years back....my point being there may well be a correlation to actual experience vs attitude on this issue. Just a theory of course. Maybe someone who actually lives there that might want to contradict this

I lived in Canterbury, Hurlstone Park, Ashfield, Strathfield, Dulwich Hill, Marickville for 10 years and had some great Muslim friends there and at work. Maybe I just didn't see them as the enemy or wasn't afraid of them.

Does that count?
How long ago ?......when they were Italian/Greek dominated (most) or now middle eastern/Asian

Prior to that I lived nearer Bondi, Coogee, Bondi Junction and the usual Saturday night thing was to pile into cars and go to other suburbs to ''interact'' with skips, lebs, serbs, croats, other wogs on a not so collegiate basis. My dad told me they did the same thing in the 40's. My nephew is just getting through that same risk taking stage. A number of his friends, as was the case with my friends and my dads didn't survive that stage. Three of his mates have died in grog fueled car pursuits this year alone. A difference now is they all make pilgrimages to Thailand and enrol in Muy Tai schools to learn how to fight better. We just did it as it came. I reckon the next generation will do the same thing and crusty old blokes will start to fear them as their own powers weaken. Just the cycle of stuff with risk taking young blokes and old blokes who get scared. No difference either now that the group that is feared most is demonized. People gotta have a bogeyman to blame their irrational fears on.
That is what a dikhead minority do, from my observations. And most of them never grow out of their immaturity. If that is the "culture" you identify with, you really are not the bloke to be preaching about social harmony.

It is only a minority of kids that do that sort of excessive risk taking All kids through their late teens into early 20's rebel to some extent, some just get tattoos, some do lots of grog/drugs and fight. You will never stop it happening. The positive is that THEY ALL GROW OUT OF IT. 

When you cram a million youth into a small area like Western Sydney, with high youth unemployment you get slums. If only 5-10% for example are acting out, that is a lot of potential trouble crammed into a small area, especially if you have a vocal agenda to blame one group for it all. 

This is the 10th anniversary of the Cronulla riots where exactly that happened. A group of white young people decided that Muslims didn't belong on their beach. The media(particularly Muslim haters like Alan Jones) and moreso social media, fueled it into something greater than it was ever intended to be. The effects of that dark episode will linger for a long time.  
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Crownbet.

Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 11:44am
Originally posted by Ecair Issoire Ecair Issoire wrote:

Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

Originally posted by Baguette Baguette wrote:

The only people qualified to talk about the very real social problems in Western Sydney are people who live there or have strong ties to the area. Anyone else hasn't got a clue what there talking about.

The interaction between Muslim and non Muslim is not going well to put it mildly.

errrr yeah no kidding, some of the most vocal in these topics live in white 'safe zones' near beaches, boat ramps and pelicans...you'd be hard pressed to even see a foreigner in some of these places..

i live nowhere near boat ramps, beaches or pelicans..
i live in a working class suburb, where many houses could do with a polish.

+ that song you posted is not in the slightest bit funny..imo.
a 4yr old could write cleverer lyrics.

irony not your strong suit..?

the song is a parody of itself, many proud Aussie's have often sung along to these types of songs in the past as they have glorified the country and it's people, let's just say it wouldn't have worked as well as a rap or rock song..

Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 11:46am

If you accept that we are purely an extension of the animal kingdom....then it is pretty natural that you would expect us to protect out territory. Animals don't allow their territory to be invaded without putting up some resistance. So Passing Through if you are suggesting this is a hard wired thing you are probably correct. Doesn't help solve any of it though. Also  think the "Muslim" mindset results is a whole different level of resentment....imo of course !

We certainly wouldn't invade the territory of any Islamic or Arabic countries, would we?

Here is a simple solution if you don't want refugees fleeing the Middle East, stop dropping bombs on them and promoting proxy wars and propping up ''friendly dictatorial'' regimes. Syria is showing what a sh*tfight can come of competing interests getting involved where they don't belong. 

What is the bigger picture purpose of what is going on there? The clear result is people looking for somewhere else to live to get away from it.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 11:52am

I think I've just stumbled across something.....Acacia,  Fiddler, Baguette & myself have all lived in the Western Suburbs of Sydney (& worked in my case)....would not mind betting Tilt does as well....I scrambled out to the northern suburbs a few years back....my point being there may well be a correlation to actual experience vs attitude on this issue. Just a theory of course. Maybe someone who actually lives there that might want to contradict this

I lived in Canterbury, Hurlstone Park, Ashfield, Strathfield, Dulwich Hill, Marickville for 10 years and had some great Muslim friends there and at work. Maybe I just didn't see them as the enemy or wasn't afraid of them.

Does that count?
How long ago ?......when they were Italian/Greek dominated (most) or now middle eastern/Asian

Prior to that I lived nearer Bondi, Coogee, Bondi Junction and the usual Saturday night thing was to pile into cars and go to other suburbs to ''interact'' with skips, lebs, serbs, croats, other wogs on a not so collegiate basis. My dad told me they did the same thing in the 40's. My nephew is just getting through that same risk taking stage. A number of his friends, as was the case with my friends and my dads didn't survive that stage. Three of his mates have died in grog fueled car pursuits this year alone. A difference now is they all make pilgrimages to Thailand and enrol in Muy Tai schools to learn how to fight better. We just did it as it came. I reckon the next generation will do the same thing and crusty old blokes will start to fear them as their own powers weaken. Just the cycle of stuff with risk taking young blokes and old blokes who get scared. No difference either now that the group that is feared most is demonized. People gotta have a bogeyman to blame their irrational fears on.

If I didn't know any better I'd swear that post was supposed to come out of someone else's name...

bizarre..

* footnote...

the usual Saturday night thing was to pile into cars and go to other suburbs to ''interact'' with skips, lebs, serbs, croats, other wogs

..some time ago I referred to Vietnamese folk in shortened format as 'Viet's' and a certain shall we say, 'snipping bore' from somewhere deep in the banjo playing hills of regional Victoria decided that I was being racist and rude using that term, perhaps that same bore might poke his or her nose in this post by Passing and make the same accusations..???

predictably i think he or she will not...Dead

Ecair Issoire View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 11:53am
no fiddles,

irony is not my thing.
i don't really get it.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 12:00pm
I'm surprised some of you haven't cottoned onto the soon to be infamous ' you're not a real muslim bro' line used just recently..??

max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 12:00pm

Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

Does that count?

That is what a dikhead minority do, from my observations. And most of them never grow out of their immaturity. If that is the "culture" you identify with, you really are not the bloke to be preaching about social harmony.

It is only a minority of kids that do that sort of excessive risk taking All kids through their late teens into early 20's rebel to some extent, some just get tattoos, some do lots of grog/drugs and fight. You will never stop it happening. The positive is that THEY ALL GROW OUT OF IT. 

When you cram a million youth into a small area like Western Sydney, with high youth unemployment you get slums. If only 5-10% for example are acting out, that is a lot of potential trouble crammed into a small area, especially if you have a vocal agenda to blame one group for it all. 

This is the 10th anniversary of the Cronulla riots where exactly that happened. A group of white young people decided that Muslims didn't belong on their beach. The media(particularly Muslim haters like Alan Jones) and moreso social media, fueled it into something greater than it was ever intended to be. The effects of that dark episode will linger for a long time.  
Huh ? the Cronulla riots were bad ( can't disgree with that) but your weekend escapades with drunk driving and brawling with other racial groups was OK ? Does not compute !
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 12:13pm
it doesn't compute because there is something very off about all that he posted, for one it has no paragraphs and written style that is typically Passing's, it's got dodgy written all over it..
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 12:15pm
I never said it was a good idea, I am sure even you have a few things, truth be told, that you did in your youth that you now retrospectively  think wasn't the smartest thing you ever did. The fact is it happens in most towns and suburbs very often, and it is a phenomenon of youth who take risks, but generally grow out of. It is also done in varying degrees.

That young man who returned from fighting with Kurds from Syria on Sunday, that was facing potential charges. His mother put it down to his risk taking phase, that he is hopefully out of now. That is the extreme it can be taken to. Most kids are happy to not rebel and sit at home and play online games, but many do get out looking for a few thrills. Muslim kids are no different, it is just that it is often judged more harshly with them, probably through a prism of mistrust and fear
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 12:17pm

I'm surprised some of you haven't cottoned onto the soon to be infamous ' you're not a real muslim bro' line used just recently..??

David Cameron seemed to like it.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 12:19pm

oneone I've lived in Auburn, Lidcombe and Campsie. I worked in Campsie on Canterbury Road for two Muslim brothers at one stage. The only bad thing I have to say of them is they were tight come pay day.

Yes it has changed since then and I wouldn't try walking down Canterbury Road these days. The worst place was Lakemba then and apparently still is but that doesn't mean it can't be changed.

Remember those bloody Greeks who owned every corner store in inner Sydney?
And Newtown was a no go zone when I was a kid in Paddington. Yet today the demographics show that has has a very wide range of cultures. So change can occur over time.

All it takes is someone like the Grand Mufti to get his head out of his ass and preach the peaceful text of the Quran instead of the fire and brimstone side. Anglican priests used to preach the fire and brimstone sermons once and they are losing more of their flock to atheism every day. So who knows maybe there will be more people like Ayaan Hirsi Ali  rejecting Islam and opening the eyes of other Muslims. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 12:29pm

David Cameron seemed to like it.

Yes it's all rather convenient isn't it..

just that when you step back and think about what happened and how a stranger came to make that comment into the microphone of a random phone camera..?

How on earth did the man making such a comment know the attacker was a muslim..??
from my observation the attack was shockingly out of nowhere and completely random, if I'm witnessing someone I do not know attacking another with a knife, how on earth do I know they are muslim..??

something very strange about all that imo...

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 12:30pm
I don't get this Grand Mufti not speaking out loud enough argument.

With Christian kids misbehavior do we call on the Archbishop of the Anglican or Catholic churches to come out and denounce their bad behavior? 

Firstly would any 18 year old kid know who the hell they are or give a rats about what they said or thought? The days of going to church on Sunday to get your lessons in life and politics are long gone in Christianity, why would anyone expect it to be different in Muslims, or Hindus or Buddhists. Plato wrote about this two and a half thousand years ago.

I imagine that Muslim kids coming from dozens of different countries and from different varieties of Islamic faith(like all Christians are the same?) are confused about what they should be getting from a decrepit Egyptian cleric who doesn't even speak the language most of them speak naturally...English. Most don't recognise his moral authority or know who he is.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by scamanda scamanda wrote:

The worst place was Lakemba then and apparently still is but that doesn't mean it can't be changed.

outside Lakemba mosque..

scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 12:36pm

I don't get this Grand Mufti not speaking out loud enough argument.

With Christian kids misbehavior do we call on the Archbishop of the Anglican or Catholic churches to come out and denounce their bad behavior? Well the Pope has many times.

Firstly would any 18 year old kid know who the hell they are or give a rats about what they said or thought? YES these days they do because they see it every day in school. The days of going to church on Sunday to get your lessons in life and politics are long gone in Christianity, why would anyone expect it to be different in Muslims, or Hindus or Buddhists. My point exactly. The trouble is we still need an entire generation of change to happen. Plato wrote about this two and a half thousand years ago.

I imagine that Muslim kids coming from dozens of different countries and from different varieties of Islamic faith(like all Christians are the same?) are confused about what they should be getting from a decrepit Egyptian cleric who doesn't even speak the language most of them speak naturally...English. Most don't recognise his moral authority or know who he is.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 12:38pm
I don't think more religion is the answer to too many issues
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 12:59pm
might get through to more kids than you think PT
+ it maybe more importantly would help
non muslim aussies feel were all on the same page.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 1:22pm
I have no problem with religion being used as a moral compass for the way people live their lives, if that is what they need to get it done. 

In Christianity along with Islam or Buddhism, it isn't the lack religious guidance that is needed to keep people on the straight and narrow. It is their distorted interpretation of what is being fed to them. 

I don't think in most cases that a religious leader is what is needed, rather professional help and family support, as is also the case when kids go off the rails on drugs or alcohol or social issues leading to lashing out with crime and/or suicide. You have to get to the root cause of their disaffection, rather than more preaching of tolerance to them when in many cases they don't see tolerance or acceptance being shown to them(real perception or not).
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 1:28pm
Disaffection is not necessarily justified, some people just lash out at a world that won't conform to their expectations, no matter that their expectations may be disadvantageous to others, or just plain unrealistic. It's called immaturity.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 1:36pm
It isn't necessarily justified, but it is not always that simple to the young and impressionable. That is how kids get groomed for all sorts of purposes by predators. Until we genetically engineer kids to have maturity from birth, they will just have to get it from life experience and guidance from the right people like the rest of us. Some of course never really achieve it, and it often ends badly for them and those around them.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 2:30pm
You ain't no muslim bro..!!!

the convenience of such a statement reeks of manufacturing by somebody..?

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 2:32pm
can you post the clip fiddles (if there is 1)
i have nfi what you are referring to.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 2:58pm

When a man wielding a knife stabbed three people at an east London subway stop on Saturday evening and shouted, "This is for Syria," it was a bystander's blunt reaction, captured on video, that grabbed most of the attention afterward.

As police straddled and handcuffed the attacker, whom they'd Tasered at the Leytonstone tube station, the onlooker yelled, "You ain't no Muslim, bruv!" using slang akin to "bro."

more........

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2015/12/07/458777087/response-to-london-subway-knife-attacker-you-aint-no-muslim-bruv

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 3:01pm
The answer to radicalisation is concentrating on making young people stakeholders, with something substantial to lose if conscrtipted by ruthless grubs to be used as political pawns.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 3:01pm
http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/david-cameron-has-said-you-aint-no-muslim-bruv-and-no-one-is-coping-at-all-well--Z1VWLPIhw9l

Addressing the attack, in which three people were injured, prime minister David Cameron admitted that no words he said could sum up the situation better than those used by the man in the video.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 3:38pm

Originally posted by scamanda scamanda wrote:

The worst place was Lakemba then and apparently still is but that doesn't mean it can't be changed.

outside Lakemba mosque..

and thats one reason why people dont want mosques near them.  they take over the whole street, unlike other churches and synagogues and temples in Sydney do.
unless of course its the deputy mayor of Auburn and his wedding,  but isnt he muslim ?
animals before people.
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 3:43pm
I grew up in the Parramatta area but left it a long time ago. As did my siblings and cousins. We did have until very recently elderly relatives who stayed in the Granville area and we all visited regularly. I could go on for a couple of pages about some of the stuff we have copped over the years, especially the young girls. The latest being my daughter being refused service in a local shop because she wore a Christian cross. Everyone in the shop turned their back on her. No big deal I know but this is Sydney and imagine the outcry if it was the other way round

I get the general impression that too many Muslims dont want to join the greater multicultural society, they want to live separate to it in their own community.And non Muslims are definitely not welcome. I think that is what makes the Muslims of western Sydney different to every other immigrant group that has come there. That exclusion and intimidation of everyone else.

I don't want to ever see Sydney become like London and other European cities where certain areas are no go zones for non Muslims. But that's they way we are heading.

I'll sit back now and wait to be told how none of this is true and what a racist I am!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 3:51pm
cheers for posting that vid PT,

didn't look manufactured  to me at all..
but hollywood is the expert on conspiracy theories and sheeples.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 3:53pm
sheeple not sheeples..
sorry i'm new to this.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Baguette Baguette wrote:

I grew up in the Parramatta area but left it a long time ago. As did my siblings and cousins. We did have until very recently elderly relatives who stayed in the Granville area and we all visited regularly. I could go on for a couple of pages about some of the stuff we have copped over the years, especially the young girls. The latest being my daughter being refused service in a local shop because she wore a Christian cross. Everyone in the shop turned their back on her. No big deal I know but this is Sydney and imagine the outcry if it was the other way round

I get the general impression that too many Muslims dont want to join the greater multicultural society, they want to live separate to it in their own community.And non Muslims are definitely not welcome. I think that is what makes the Muslims of western Sydney different to every other immigrant group that has come there. That exclusion and intimidation of everyone else.

I don't want to ever see Sydney become like London and other European cities where certain areas are no go zones for non Muslims. But that's they way we are heading.

I'll sit back now and wait to be told how none of this is true and what a racist I am!

i find it odd that shop owners woudn't want your custom (+$) if you wore a cross..
but i'm not doubting the story. that'd be upsetting no doubt...
broadmeadows in nth suburns of melb is quite high in a muslim (turkish) population
+ i've spent a bit of time around there over the yrs and never heard of any such thing happening.

if they do intimidate and want non muslims to stay away than that is indeed disturbing..
again i've never heard of, or encountered such a thing.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 49>
  Share Topic