Join up at Bet Easy - Click here - Bet Easy is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

"Taboo or not taboo"?, that is the question!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Taboo or not taboo"?, that is the question!
    Posted: 19 Dec 2008 at 6:20am
OK, the major sales begin in three weeks, starting with the MM on the Gold Coast and I'm sure a few of the villagers will have stock in this and the upsoming sales of 2009.

So here's the question. Should we annually have a sales related thread similar to the great "Who's got Foals"? Not as a thread to advertise lots, but rather to appreciate and discuss our efforts, reasons for breeding, procurement and plans for the resultant lots.

We can then use the information gathered each year as a reference point, looking back at the foals to see how they have progressed towards sale, but also to allow us to follow their success/failure in the sales ring. We can then constructively analyse the reasons for the results.

As enthusiasts, we frequently talk about the beauty and enjoyment associated with breeding these great animals, sling dirt at large studs and their stallions, and moan about poor sales clearances etc etc. Let's use this forum in the way it was intended - to discuss experiences and share information, so as to arrive at answers for trends and solutions for the myriad of problems we face as breeders, small, medium and large.

How about we agree to forget the snipes and abuse, the digs about bad knees and conformation (because anyone with half a brain knows that photos are largely unreliable), and just discuss the future and processes of the industry we share.

Am I asking too much? Is this proposed thread taboo, beacause we cannot help ourselves? Will we unashamably flog our lots, or can we resist and be objective? Can we be adult enough to make less than honourable behaviour taboo in this thread.

"Taboo or not taboo"?, that is the question!
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2008 at 6:54am
Sounds like a great idea bones
Ringlock View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2008 at 9:11am
Agree - a good constructive thread
TheMantra View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheMantra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2008 at 10:51am
Bones this sounds like a great idea. Let us hope if you are successful in getting the proposed thread going it becomes a knowledge sharing opportunity & not a vehicle for some to offload criticism. You are right objectivity is important & I'm sure the chance to share ideas, failures & successes can only lead to a great tool if it is used in the manner you suggest. Others seeing things from a different perspective to our own often biased, therefore clouded view, could through their input open our eyes to things like say nicks we weren't aware of, & trends with damlines etc. Yes it sounds a great idea to me.
Nothing in the world is impossible, anything is possible.
v and m View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote v and m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2008 at 4:52pm
You could extend that so anyone that buys lots at the yearling sale can show what they have bought and give reasons for it, and maybe the ones they had on their list but didn't purchase and their reasons. Then follow their progress and village's plans for them eg preps, resales at HIT sale, trainers.

Call it the village stable and see how good our record can get.
ZAMINGA
Bones View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2008 at 5:32pm
That's a positive start, thank you. I suggest we start the thread next week under the title " Village Lots".

I also think v and m's idea is a good one as a separate thread, under the name of "Village Stable". I think combined the thread may become somewhat cumbersome and confusing.

Let's make the "Who's Got Foals", "Village Lots" and "Village Stable" threads continue each year and become useful reference and discussion points.

I will take a leap of faith next week by posting my lot for the MM Jan if the positive responses continue.

Have a great weekend. I am off to Sydney for wedding, so may not be in a fit state to post for a few days.
woody View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2008 at 8:38pm
Thank you Bones for a constructive idea, sounds really good if we can keep it objective, and certain identities can refrain from personal attacks and sl*gging matches!
What about the idea that every villager chooses one foal, one yearling and one mare to keep everyone abreast with. That way we would follow a horse's life from its breeding, to being a racehorse with (hopefully) a good performnce!
We could discuss the best stallion for that particularly mare, with the whys and why nots, then post photos of the resulting foals once every 2 months or so, following up with the end result on the track? or would that be all too complicated?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic