Join up at Crownbet - Click here - Crownbet is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Syndicate to race a horse

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2008 at 11:11pm
True, regarding breeding, but what percentage of well bred colts remain colts? And filly's are more expensive to buy, due to the potential residual value.

So the other alternative is buy cheap and relatively well bred geldings (or to be gelded), best of both worlds
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Crownbet.

Xolento View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xolento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2008 at 11:16pm
touche'

re fillies in particular, which we have had great success with FBI with fillies, this year we have purposley tried to buy fillies with a pedigree already, not hoping they can build one, therefore trying to weigh the balance a bit more in the purchasers favour.
BSB Raiderman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSB Raiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2008 at 4:58am
Originally posted by Tassam Tassam wrote:

Originally posted by Xolento Xolento wrote:

I never said you can't worry about the costs Tassam; but unless you are doing this commercially you should NEVER go into racehorse ownership with the expectation of "making money" !

No you didn't X, and i didn't mean to infer that you did, sorry.

But the fact that a syndicator is saying you have to go in with eyes open and dont expect to make money is i suppose too honest, if you get what i mean. Which no one probably does coz i have written it strangely.

Saying if you go in to a racehorse and assume that all that money is gone, you'll then come out a winner is quite frankly mind boggling (X, you didn't say that ). So why buy an expensive share? Buy cheap, and potentially lose less.

I own shares in racehorses, quite cheap ones, and still lose money everyday. And one day i would like to own 10 horses outright. But i've gotta say that before i bought into horses, my opinion of what it was like to own one and the ins and outs of races and prizemoney etc was very different to now. I have learnt not to go expensive, but have more cheaper shares and spread the risk. If you lose most times you buy, then the buying stops.

My quote you were quoting, bit hard to make a point when the reader is unknown not sitting on the other side of a schooner.
All syndicators have to ensure anyone buying a share is fully aware that there are no guarantees. Thats why I constantly say you should only invest what you are comfortable with. Dealing with reputable people is your way of reducing risk. A lot of us own shares, some make money, some pay for themselves & others lose money, thats racing & that why it's such a thrill, why we get nervous before every race start.
Johnson View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2008 at 6:16am
InterestedLOL
Johnson
Xolento View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xolento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2008 at 6:48pm
in what ?
Relampago View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Relampago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2008 at 7:33pm
I think the most valid point here is,

Dont spend what your not prepared to lose!!!

My first experience in this matter, we leased a horse, not quite up to city class, won a race on a country track and 4 or 5 seconds... We didnt make a cent but he didnt cost us a cent either!! The day he stopped paying his way he was gone.... Yet we had a ball, a group of blokes from in and around the footy club!!

If you havent been in a horsed before this is a way to "test the water' without an initial outlay... BUT dont expect to make any cash... If you like then jump in, but i compare it to taking a car for a test run!!
Daintree Duke Fan Club President!!! RIP!!!

Melbourne Autumn Tipping Champion 2009!
Melbourne Spring Tipping Champion 2009!
bangalow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bangalow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2008 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by andynr123 andynr123 wrote:

Hey all.

Next year sometime I am thinking of setting up a syndicate to race a horse.

Will aim for a cheaper horse, but still I think that it would be nice to get quite a few members on here involved. If you are genuinely interested, post an expression of interest in here.

Ill take a rough guess and say he was interested in this
Xolento View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xolento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2008 at 9:28pm
bangalow, you don't notice a smartarse comment when you see one ?  Wink
bangalow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bangalow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2008 at 9:57pm
no i prefer making them myself
BSB Raiderman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSB Raiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2008 at 1:14am
Looking at doing a syndicate with Kelana Park, little way off but the wheels are in motion. Either lease or buy, probably be trained in or around Brisbane to make the most of Qtis.
Xolento View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xolento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2008 at 1:24am
Originally posted by bangalow bangalow wrote:

no i prefer making them myself

fair comment
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic