Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Sydney Takes Bugs Bunny

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sydney Takes Bugs Bunny
    Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 8:29am
TABCORP reported a 7% decrease across its TAB & UBET business on Melbourne Cup Day vs last year. Their press release suggested poor weather in Melb was "probably" the main reason. Well I think a few things can be said - firstly the weather in Melb is nearly always crap so we can throw that old chestnut out. Secondly, we had no late scratching's this year so the comparison is not horses for courses ( actually a lot more than 7%). Thirdly, the Everest Carnival is getting bigger & bigger & getting first bite at the cherry. Strategically brilliant by V'Landys. Will only continue to eat away at Melbourne's carnival as time goes on
Refer ALP Election Promises
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 8:39am
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

TABCORP reported a 7% decrease across its TAB & UBET business on Melbourne Cup Day vs last year. Their press release suggested poor weather in Melb was "probably" the main reason. Well I think a few things can be said - firstly the weather in Melb is nearly always crap so we can throw that old chestnut out. Secondly, we had no late scratching's this year so the comparison is not horses for courses ( actually a lot more than 7%). Thirdly, the Everest Carnival is getting bigger & bigger & getting first bite at the cherry. Strategically brilliant by V'Landys. Will only continue to eat away at Melbourne's carnival as time goes on
And one more reason. Take the hint - most are getting jack of the squillion internationals taking the race over. Maximum 6 to 8
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 9:02am
Someone reported at least one of the TABs was glitchy or down which doesn't help either - if true.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 9:13am
What about people no longer betting with the TAB - I’m sure they have an ever-shrinking client case as the corporates gain. And also I agree far too many internationals making it irrelevant. Also, the favourite drew so wide that potentially the people who just back the obvious were put off.
to the victor
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 10:17am
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Someone reported at least one of the TABs was glitchy or down which doesn't help either - if true.
Spot on Gay - I forgot about that one. Sportsbet (biggest on-line player) was down for over 2 hours , Ladbrokes similar. So fair to say TABs loss was not picked up by others
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 10:22am
The internationals issue has more impact on the "average punter". They don't relate to the horses or their form. Once a yearers probably not so much.
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 10:28am

And one more reason. Take the hint - most are getting jack of the squillion internationals taking the race over. Maximum 6 to 8

If you limit the number of internationals you slash the number of horses with a chance to win the bloody thing. Can’t see how that’d help betting turnover.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 10:50am
Its certainly turninng into a race with horses that most of the everyday people know nothing about.  Once, everyone knew who a trainer was, or a jockey, and they just had their once a year bet on those fellows.  Now its hard even for those of us who follow races to even keep up with overseas form, let alone all the trainers and jocks.  I know a few locals who this year said they wernt even having a bet because they didnt know anything about it.  A few others said they were having a bet on James Cummings because of the Bart connection. Its loosing its appeal to the every day Aussies because there is no "little battler story" even in the race, let alone one with the chance of cracking it. A few years from now it will be full of Godolphin and O'Brien horses , throw in a few Lloyd imports, and very few Aussies will even get in the race.
Change its name then to the Melbourne International Gift.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 11:01am
All these internationals that are winning are well in the market. Punters are doing something right. Except when a local blows them out at 100-1 (does that qualify as your “little battler story?”)
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 11:01am
Spot on AA, the Melbourne Cup Calcutta and Cup day lunch where I live were both the smallest crowds anyone can remember, some of my mates didn't even bother having a bet on the race because they didn't know who most of the horses are. By making it an international race they've turned away some of the casual punters, whether thats a good thing or not for the race I'm not sure but it is slowly opening the door for another race to evolve into 'the race that stops the nation'.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

Spot on AA, the Melbourne Cup Calcutta and Cup day lunch where I live were both the smallest crowds anyone can remember, some of my mates didn't even bother having a bet on the race because they didn't know who most of the horses are. By making it an international race they've turned away some of the casual punters, whether thats a good thing or not for the race I'm not sure but it is slowly opening the door for another race to evolve into 'the race that stops the nation'.

The VRC are not reading the room. Could well be to the detriment of the entire local industry.
to the victor
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 11:49am
I don't think it's necessarily the Internationals being here thats the problem, its the fact they can qualify overseas and go straight into the Cup . It's totally destroyed all the relevance of the lead up races and the build up towards the big day. It's become just another race. Make the Internationals come out and have a campaign and qualify here. L
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 11:53am

Change the rules so they Must have had at least one start in Australia before running in the Cup. That way we can see how they’ve adapted to our conditions.
Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 12:02pm
Tote system in it's current model is on it's last legs.
Need to open up the rebate program to everyone.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Baguette Baguette wrote:

I don't think it's necessarily the Internationals being here thats the problem, its the fact they can qualify overseas and go straight into the Cup . It's totally destroyed all the relevance of the lead up races and the build up towards the big day. It's become just another race. Make the Internationals come out and have a campaign and qualify here. L

Do the French do that for the Arc? The Brits for Ascot or the Americans for Breeders Cup?
Enabled View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enabled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 12:45pm
The Cup is a cultural event dressed up as a horse race. When people no longer relate, interest declines. Major story for the build up? Some UK owner will collect the trophy in his undies and afterwards the dead horse stories and how the Arab Sheik has finally wins after 30years. In the past we had many stories of owners jockeys and trainers journey to the cup instead of the media's obsession with the birdcage.

Removed comment totally uncalled for & unneccessary Disapprove
Godolphin almost have an obsession with rehoming their ex gallopers, the world over & are justifiably lauded for it.

Edited by Gay3 - 11 Nov 2018 at 1:32pm
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

If you limit the number of internationals you slash the number of horses with a chance to win the bloody thing. Can’t see how that’d help betting turnover.
How much informed money is actually invested on the Cup Judge ? I'd suggest % wise the amount of mug money is much higher than the average race - so I'm not sure that argument stacks up. What are your thoughts on the declining turnover ?
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 1:37pm
First Melbourne Cup that I didn’t have a cent on since I was 14    Which is a bloody long time ago
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Baguette Baguette wrote:

How can change that ?

There are NO qualifying races in Europe that do not already guarantee a horse a run by dint of getting a weight that gets them in anyway.

reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 1:54pm

How much informed money is actually invested on the Cup Judge ? I'd suggest % wise the amount of mug money is much higher than the average race - so I'm not sure that argument stacks up. What are your thoughts on the declining turnover ?

I haven’t had a good look at the figures. You’ve simply compared this year to last. You do realise they had internationals last year too?
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 2:27pm

I haven’t had a good look at the figures. You’ve simply compared this year to last. You do realise they had internationals last year too?
[/QUOTE]

lol
Enabled View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enabled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 2:42pm
The gambling dollar has to reach a peak at sometime.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

lol
[/QUOTE] Get back to your tipping thread Whale !
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 3:09pm

I'm looking for reasons Judge - that was one of a number I think have had an impact. Anyhow - thanks for your contribution

anabel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anabel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Shawy38 Shawy38 wrote:

First Melbourne Cup that I didn’t have a cent on since I was 14    Which is a bloody long time ago

Pretty much the same for me. Had a very small bet. But growing up, I used to sit down and work out the form based on the local lead up races and the trainers I knew. Was my main betting race for the year. Has totally lost that excitement and appeal for me. I wouldn’t even care if I missed it.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by anabel anabel wrote:

Originally posted by Shawy38 Shawy38 wrote:

Pretty much the same for me. Had a very small bet. But growing up, I used to sit down and work out the form based on the local lead up races and the trainers I knew. Was my main betting race for the year. Has totally lost that excitement and appeal for me. I wouldn’t even care if I missed it.
Think it has for a lot of people anabel. More important to get a bunch of largely second stringers over here so they can call it a major international race. Ouch
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 4:59pm
The best way to address the international domination is to improve our horses. Wacky idea, I know. In the early days of the international visitors we had horses to compete. Makybe Diva fending off Vinnie Roe or Efficient nailing Purple Moon. It was terrific stuff.

Our horses are now rubbish. I can’t possibly see how ensuring starts for local camels does anything other than undermine the race. We need some Saintlys, Doriemuses, Might and Powers and Ethereals. Where have they all gone? The problems not them, it’s us.
Stainvita View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stainvita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 5:32pm
Winner of the Melbourne Cup had seven starts in its racing lifetime,never run past 2400 before last Tuesday and bolts in.

With all these variables what hope are you of picking the winner?
If your hands aren't shaking you haven't put enough on.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 5:33pm
Horse was third fave. Someone picked it.
Stainvita View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stainvita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 5:37pm

Horse was third fave. Someone picked it.

True, however the average punter given these variables would have considered it a risk,the race is impossible to work out with any confidence.
If your hands aren't shaking you haven't put enough on.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>