Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Superannuation Investment Returns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by Mr Prospector Mr Prospector wrote:

You've done well with the gambling stocks Whale , it look better than the punt . 
Blackmores finished down at $96 today and may well still have more to go . The Q2 and Q3 profit were flat and if Q4 comes in lower they may well go down into the $80's . 
The discount sell off of excess stock due the china story has been mooted as the cause . I still believe they are a good long term investment with capital growth and dividends but at what value is the question . 

Mr P, I pity those that bought Blackmores over $200 back in the new year of 2016.

Down under $90 at close of today.

Watch WTC, has gone gung ho since May 2016!
Current Stable - Soul Star & Adivinar + Lady Vega
Mr Prospector View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 10:58pm
I hope you backed them all the way up Rosscoe , they have a solid set of financials with no debt but with a high PE . I'll definately put them on the watchlist . Thumbs Up .
If BKL drop to mid $80's I'll buy a few more and yes I'm glad I didn't jump on the $200 price . OUCH . 
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 7:42pm
The month of May, as anticipated was a negative month however the last 2 days nearing mid - June have been absolute bottlers on the ASX! Gains of over 150 points is nothing to be sneezed at.

One of my standouts that I have held for quite a while Corporate Travel Management (CTD) has blown the lights out this calendar year. As previously mentioned I bought this stock just under $10, it has now roared through the $24 mark today. One would think it has gone very hard of late and is due for a pull back at some stage?

The Market appears to be building again after a quiet period & with reporting season not too far away things are again looking positive & optimistic.

My most recent recommendation A2M - (A2 Milk) is building momentum - a BUY if there is a correction in the forthcoming weeks before the company reports. Closed today at $3.39 ....

Sector wise the telcos continue to be the worst performer! A sector to stay away from at present.Telstra looking a bit sick!
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 8:02pm
itcoin :

.08 in 2010 , $2765 now.

that is a profit, $1000 then would now be worth $34 million now, that is a profit
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

Bitcoin :

.08 in 2010 , $2765 now.

that is a profit, $1000 then would now be worth $34 million now, that is a profit
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 9:31am

Bitcoin :

.08 in 2010 , $2765 now.

There was a story a couple of months ago talking about someone who bought bitcoin when it was a few cents and later threw away his old computer when it failed , with the bitcoin still on the hard drive .
It was supposed to be valued at several million dollars at current rates .
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 1:38pm
A2M up over 8% today with another profit upgrade!

Currently $3.64 .....

The momentum continues to build!

http://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20170616/pdf/43jz6hsy0z1wrl.pdf
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 5:56pm
The latest on the state of play:-

All Ords Report 16 June 2017

Why try to disguise what the bank levy is really for?

Is it to help pay for services to support people with disabilities or is it really part of a plan to open our financial system to international players?

In the 80’s, Australia opened the door to foreign banks, which fuelled a credit boom and bust. And it seems that when Governments intervene and something goes wrong, the Australian people end up paying for it. The credit fuelled 80’s led to the collapse of Pyramid in the early 90’s.

It seems that regulators get the timing wrong. History shows time and time again that people who are supposed to be ‘wiser’ than the rest of us relax regulations in the financial system and the credit cycle gets out of control again.

There is also the issue of competition. Is the bank levy really just a tariff in reverse? Instead of providing protection to Australian companies, it’s reportedly going to provide foreign banks an opportunity to compete locally. How is this a level playing field?

History provides examples where Government and ACCC policies end up making it difficult for our home grown companies to compete in their own back yard.

The major banks have said that a levy on their profit isn’t going to generate what the Government expects anyway. Some financial analysts are predicting that the levy needs to be raised from 0.6 per cent to at least 0.8 per cent to meet Treasury projections. Remember, that clever accounting can have an impact on how much revenue such a levy actually generates, although I’m not suggesting that the banks would fiddle the books.

Recently, the Financials sector recorded a 12 per cent decline. Putting this into context, if we look back at history, falls of this degree are typical for the index. The fall in 2013 was 13.75 per cent and the recovery that followed occurred over a few months before it continued higher. Another fall of 10.5 per cent occurred in late 2013 through to early 2014 and 9.5 per cent in late 2014. Each time a solid rebound followed and the market traded to new highs.

Back to the levy. We all know who’s really going to pay for this levy, it’s their customers, including you and me. So are banks just the scapegoats? If so, why should we pay to create a level playing field for international banks, particularly as Australian companies are nowadays forced to compete against much bigger international corporations without protection? We’re told that it’s good for competition.

If you would like to learn a better way to profit from bank shares or any market for that matter, first get a good education.

What do we expect in the market?

As predicted, the Australian share market continued to trade south last week, dipping below 5700 points. However, this week the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) displayed evidence of renewed buyer interest, which indicates that the short term low may be in, although this is yet to be confirmed.

Short sellers profiting from the current decline in the major banks, which have led to the decline, will eventually close their positions to create a market rebound, which may be what is currently occurring.

It is also interesting to note that the reversal occurred right before the US Federal Reserve made its official announcement about raising US rates.

The target zone for the current decline is between 5600 and 5700 points and possibly as low as 5550 points as the market tests support for the next rise. I would prefer to see this low come in towards the end of the month, however, if it is already in we are likely to see a solid rise in market from here.

Remember that the current decline from the recent high of 5983 points is part of a natural movement on the market that must occur before the next significant rise towards the medium term target between 6200 and 6400 points.

To anyone learning about the market, it is important to understand the saying that ‘markets move up in stairs and down in elevators’. This simply means that any falls on the market are likely to occur faster than the rises and while we all enjoy it when the market rises, we also need to accept that falls must occur for the market to continue higher.

Global news

Many traders are watching the Oil price closely at the moment. There have been many reports about rallies in Oil, which have run up on hot air. The Wealth Within investment team have been waiting for Oil to rebound following the recent decline to $43.80 in May 2017 as the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) production cuts were continuing to take effect.

Speculation has been building about output cuts and there has been a lot of postulating about what will occur with supply this year and into 2018. With talk that the supply situation may turn, Oil rebounded off its low and appeared poised to trade higher. However, for Oil to change trend it must break strongly above at least US$51.50 and preferably US$53.50 per barrel.

Despite the speculation about an oil rally, this week Oil continued to fall below US$45 per barrel and may continue lower to around $40 over the coming weeks, therefore it may be some months before we see any sign of a recovery.

Looking at the bigger picture, global economic growth is forecast to continue to rise slowly and this is likely to mean higher share prices. However, big global corporations must continue to demonstrate improved earnings growth in the second half of this year to justify further gains.

Remembering that markets tend to factor in share prices six months out, many people are wondering whether the US market has run ahead of what is realistic for the near term.

While the Dow Jones is likely to experience some resistance to the current rise in the next quarter, I believe there is further upside for the US market this year, particularly while it continues to trade above important support at 20,600 points.

Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Rosscoe Rosscoe wrote:

The month of May, as anticipated was a negative month however the last 2 days nearing mid - June have been absolute bottlers on the ASX! Gains of over 150 points is nothing to be sneezed at.

One of my standouts that I have held for quite a while Corporate Travel Management (CTD) has blown the lights out this calendar year. As previously mentioned I bought this stock just under $10, it has now roared through the $24 mark today. One would think it has gone very hard of late and is due for a pull back at some stage?

The Market appears to be building again after a quiet period & with reporting season not too far away things are again looking positive & optimistic.

My most recent recommendation A2M - (A2 Milk) is building momentum - a BUY if there is a correction in the forthcoming weeks before the company reports. Closed today at $3.39 ....

Sector wise the telcos continue to be the worst performer! A sector to stay away from at present.Telstra looking a bit sick!

Market building beautifully heading towards Reporting Season.

A2M hitting new highs, currently $4.23!

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 4:42pm
Great prediction Clap Clap Clap
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Great prediction Clap Clap Clap

He's good ain't he Gay3 , always read his thoughts, I only drink A2 f/c, having a quiet little whinge lol, 1-1/2% interest from my c.union, a mans a mug!
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 8:46pm
The ASX dropped sharply today, no need to be concerned about this short term.

It dropped for one reason and one reason only, that being the DJT, the DOW Transportation/ Average Index (USA). Investors keep a very close eye on this index as it plays an important roll in the state of play with transport companies in the US. Without going into a great amount of detail, it is a useful tool in assessing the health of the US.

In my opinion that sector has run hard & a correction was overdue! It happened .... hopefully now it will settle things down! The Dow Jones & other indices have been going hard lately and to be honest some sort of correction needed to happen to consolidate future rises.

I am still very bullish short term, but it is a stock pickers market at present and careful selection is imperative!

I still believe the ASX 200/All Ords can still hit the target of 6000+ points some time this year.

The US keeps strengthening economically speaking. Australia will follow .....

I can see a major mid-cycle correction in and around 2019!

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/dow-transports-tumble-toward-biggest-selloff-in-over-a-year-2017-07-27
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 8:57pm
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 4:04pm
Tabcorp  108 breaches  fine $45 million

CBA  53,000 breaches     fine  Image result for infinity
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 2:59am
Great news! ... the budget will be back in surplus, and there is no need for a wasteful banking Royal Commission!Thumbs Up... bank fees may go up however ... Ouch
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 10:38pm
A2M reported today with very optimistic & excellent news!

Share price hits $4.81, up 31c.

An outstanding growth company that just keeps rallying!

State of play below:-

All Ords Report 23 August 2017

Recent research released by Investment Trends indicates that Self-Managed Super Fund (SMSF) trustees are now focussed on growing their retirement savings, but are they well equipped to do the job?

The data indicates that 57,000 trustees are now opting for a more aggressive approach to their investments, compared to just 37,000 in the prior year.

Also, it’s important to note that on balance, in each of the past four years, the number of SMSFs have increased by around 20,000, which demonstrates that more Australians are wanting control of how and where their super money is invested.

The fact that a greater number of trustees are choosing a more aggressive approach with their investments is not necessarily raising a red flag, however, trustees need to ensure that they operate their superfunds in accordance with the legislation and have the knowledge to properly manage the risks when making investment decisions.

The concern is that SMSF trustees are still not required to be properly educated in the areas in which they invest super fund capital. Therefore, I believe that many trustees do not fully understand the risks, particularly when it comes to shares.

In my opinion, something needs to change before we see another GFC-like event. Human nature being what it is, I believe that those who are uneducated in how to buy and sell shares will eventually be caught in the rush, believing that they are equipped to make the necessary decisions when many are not. For the uneducated, the hardest decision to make is when to sell.

How do I know this? My source comes from talking to thousands of people. Most tell me they know when to buy a share but very few know when to sell. However, the issues are broader than most having no or little knowledge about how to make a good decision to sell.

I spoke with a lady yesterday who was using a broker to select stocks for her. She mentioned that he made lots of recommendations to buy and but none to sell. One of the shares in her portfolio had fallen by around 35 per cent.

I asked her how was her risk being managed and why had she agreed to buy this particular share?

To allow her to remain anonymous, let’s call her Liz. Liz said she had questioned the recommendation by the broker but he indicated that the company was a turn-around story.

I looked at the chart and explained what I could see. She was completely surprised to learn that the price of the share had been falling when he recommended it to her and it indicated that price was likely to continue to fall. I explained that if a share is falling in value like this, it means that the big institutions are not buying, so why would you risk your capital by investing in it?

All the gains made on a few shares had been eroded by this one investment. I’ve seen companies like this fall to almost nothing. This is where someone’s opinion, and not having the knowledge to understand the risks, can be very costly.

Click here to find out how you can get the knowledge.

Liz admitted she was completely in the dark. She believed that the broker would tell her when to sell, but the reality is that brokers make recommendations and receive commissions from transactions. As the clients decide whether or not to take up the recommendations, he’s not responsible, nor are brokers usually qualified to manage the risk on the investments. The reality is that he may have very little knowledge to do this as he’s a broker, not a risk manager, so it is important to understand the difference. Sadly, so many people mistakenly run their portfolios this way.

What do we expect in the market?

Amazingly, the Australian market continues to trade in the sideways range that began in June 2017. The positive news is that last week market activity pushed the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) above 5840 points to 5852.7 points before it fell away towards the end of the week, as intra-day traders closed positions.

In a previous report, I mentioned that the market must trade strongly above this level to confirm the next rise will commence in the current quarter. Therefore, I’m still waiting for this move to occur.

The Hang Seng (HSI) has pushed strongly higher over the past few months and therefore I had expected our market to follow during the current quarter. That said, until the Australian share market falls below the current sideways range (5705 points) the potential to push higher exists.

The XAO will be the last of the major indices to make its ascent. While time is running out for a low to occur, if the next move is lower the fall is likely to be short and sharp, prior to the next rise occurring.

Reporting season in Australia is more than halfway through and analysts are focussed on 2018 earnings estimates. Interestingly, this time last year the overall earnings estimates for the Australian share market were downgraded. Given this, you are wise to take this into account before making a judgement about how positive company estimates for next year appear. Banks, Utilities and Materials have delivered steady results.

Global news

US reporting season is almost over, with more than 90 per cent of S&P 500 companies having reported. Statistics from Thomson Reuters indicate that around 74 per cent of companies exceeded earnings estimates and around 70 per cent have beaten revenue expectations. These figures exceed historical averages, which indicate that US companies are performing well.

The total solar eclipse this week in the US is a once in a century event, which couldn’t be more timely, given that it has provided a good distraction from political tensions between the US and North Korea. People came out in droves in the US, having purchased special glasses, to safely witness the two minute spectacle. Quite a windfall for the company supplying the glasses!

Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 6:54pm
Probably about time I threw up another recommendation.

I bought into this company about 3 months ago @ $4.70 through a trigger of mine that said "Buy"!

The company ( Costa Group Holdings Ltd - CGC ) reported today with excellent results, a company moving forward very, very nicely!

It won't be a killer like A2M however it will continue to gain momentum at a slower pace with profitable results mid-long term!

The sector is starting to gain traction. I'm Liking some companies in this space ....

Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 12:50pm
[QUOTE=Rosscoe] Last update before my holiday.

Before that another recommendation, Senex previously recommended (SXY) is hovering around the 32c mark. I am still holding this stock and am expecting a nudge in the second half of this year! It hasn't moved much of late however I did buy in at 26c. Patience with this company.

A2 Milk (A2M) is running amok at present. I bought in at $2.60 and it recently hit close to $3.30 after a company upgrade to future earnings!! Plenty of upside with this stock and currently trending beautifully! Recommendation ... "BUY" ....

Finally, the bounce I thought would happen with Senex (SXY) is occurring right now!

Broker upgrades to 35-37c have elevated the stock by 22% this morning already & the company is looking promising for the second half of this calendar year as anticipated!

Could well become a takeover target, time will tell!
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 1:36pm
Where are you off to this time, Rosscoe ??
animals before people.
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Where are you off to this time, Rosscoe ??

That was a previous post from 27th April this year Acacia ....

No immediate holiday plans however heading to Melbourne for Derby Day & also the Australian Open tennis in January before taking in the USA & parts of Europe next year in June/July for 6-7 weeks.

Senex (SXY) finished up over 24% today & as stated previously should continue on in an upwards movement taking into account the typical dips that occur from time to time! A big announcement today was part of the impetus for a broker upgrade that I thought was coming!

A2M up 13c & approaching $5.20. Plenty of upside still to come .....
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by Rosscoe Rosscoe wrote:

HNY investors!

The Santa Claus rally, as predicted rallied very strongly through December and is continuing through January on lighter volumes as expected with many fund managers and investors still on holidays.

The financial and material space continues to kick goals,being driven in a very bullish way! Hopefully this trend can continue and give us a great start to 2017.

January can give an insight into trends for the rest of the year, however be prepared for more volatility at some stage, particularly after Trump becomes inaugurated on Jan 20.

As mentioned the market has a taste of bullishness at present and appears to be picking up with smooth gear changes! However it only takes a bit of a pessimistic outlook by some or news of a black swan event to change the momentum. A year can be a very long time financially speaking!

I thought I'd throw up a company worth following every now and again. I still believe the materials space is looking attractive. Of the resources out there, I believe nickel has been left behind compared to other commodities. One company has grabbed my attention,,,,, .... that being WSA (Western Areas LTD)!!The chart of this company is looking favourable, currently breaking out and entering into an uptrend.

As with all investments have a strategy in place if the trend reverses. Use a basic 15% rule. My own stop-losses vary and are not set in concrete.

Happy investing and let's hope the current trends continue rolling along but also be prepared for bumps along the way. Maybe at the end of this year we'll be able to break through the All Ords 6000 point zone comprehensively!

A very brief update:-

Kapow Kabang,,, 6000 now reached! 👍

Amazing how the year has unfolded as expected!

Bull Market in full swing now and next year looking fantastic.

My recommendations A2M, CGC, SXY continue to kick huge goals.

I took some profits recently on A2M. A third sold. The stock is currently in the hands of the “Shorters”. However this will be short lived with the A2M AGM soon. May trend sideways now for a while before nudging higher.

I expect the market to keep rallying .....

Eyeing off 6100-6200 points ..... maybe by year’s end?

Resources sector looking great.

I’m now 80% invested in equities and continue to unload. My portfolio is up over 115% this year alone 😀

Beat that Fund Managers 👀👀👀👀

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 6:50am
Well done rosscoe ,particularly on A2 . It’s one I’ll be kicking myself around the kitchen table over . I drink the stuff and love the A2 story but was looking for a correction in the rally to buy into the stock. I’m hoping they get some bad news out of China or the shorters get stuck in . They look over valued at those prices .
It’s been a good year to date for me as well but only up a miserable 50 to 60% 😊.
BLK and COH have been very good and I’ll rebalance on BKL if they hit $200 .
Sold out of MNF at 30 to 40% profit and have bought some TPM but am waiting for much cheaper price to get a larger slice .
PME are starting to move and interestingly after an article in the paper a couple of weeks ago I bought some CGC at $6 .

If Trump gets his tax cuts through then I would think that will have a big negative on our markets and our economy generally . It’ll be an interesting year next year .
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 6:31pm
Great stuff Mr P,, nice work!

I’m not worried about the fundamentals with Trump, the ASX has been playing catch-up compared to other global equities for a long while.

The charts now tell the story .....

Our turn has started,,,,, jump on the train and enjoy the ride.

I am currently buying oil/energy stocks. The resistance level was broken recently and this sector is looking fantastic!
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 7:12pm
Best Fund Managers at present:-

https://www.investsmart.com.au/managed-funds/top-funds

49% tops, if you’re lucky enough to have invested in that one!

I think we’re going quite nicely Mr P! 🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑

I’ll take double these returns and more anytime!!!
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 12:18am
I was asked to write my views on the state of global economics, I thought I’d share my views here moving forward. With little interest in this thread I shall take an indefinite spell:-

“We have not hit the Euphoria stage with the Stockmarkets globally (far from it) & the XJO has plenty of catching up to do! The S&P500 has not peaked,,, we have another year at least of booming global markets before a mid cycle correction – probably in 2019! A correction only ,,,,, NOT a collapse is likely to occur! It could take a year to 18 months before we march on with boom times before a debt crisis based on the real estate cycle to thump the world into a major collapse/crisis ..... (years away at present, however remember cycles don’t occur overnight, they happen very gradually). The GFC flattened the financial world, we are now very much on the improve in the economic cycle!

The Euphoria stage of the Stockmarket will occur between years 2021-2025 roughly; when everyone jumps into the Stockmarket at all stops because the desperates will feel as if they are missing out. Plenty of cash is still sitting on the sidelines waiting for the opportune time to jump into shares. It’s coming,be patient!

The VIX Index is currently 9.8,, meaning a lot more oomph before taking shelter. I expect this Index to climb gradually next year before we hit the mid-cycle correction in the time frame mentioned above.

My prediction :- I saw the GFC coming and warned people to move into cash! Right now times are cherry ripe for sold gains in shares upon careful selection of stocks.

Take note of the timeframes above because there is plenty of money to be made in the stockmarkets globally.

Interestingly, Goldman Sachs are expecting the ASX200 to hit 6400-6500 points at some stage next year!

Only a black swan event will ruffle the feathers in Stockmarket quarters temporarily at present!

Take my prediction for what it’s worth however I’m adamant we still have plenty of juice in the tank for global stockmarkets & ours! The XJO could well outperform most other markets next year!”

http://www.goldmansachs.com/our-thinking/pages/2018-global-economic-outlook-as-good-as-it-gets.html
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 9:04am
I like this guy, puts stops on his shares, risks very little, is prepared to hold all his money in cash when conditions are unfavourable, a few months ago he had about $2500 in shares, $350,000 in cash.

Now that the market has turned he has bought many more shares.

Started in 2006 with $50,000 has built it up to $420,000, that is about 20% a year which includes the GFC.

Has a column in the Herald Sun and associated papers each week so the figures are not doctored

Runs regular courses explaining his methods

http://thedaytrader.com.au/
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 1:22am
Average house price in Melbourne in 2006 was $373,000.

$50,000 covers deposit and costs, rent and tax concessions cover holding costs.

Current average house price in Melbourne is $880,000.

$507,000 Capital growth (unrealised)

Current net yield approx $25,000 p.a. 

... and the investor never had to look at a chart.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 9:46am
I know you are very intelligent but you can't do basic maths
Property
2006  $373,000 +$50,000 holding costs = $423,000
2107  $880,000 +$198,000 rental returns (generous averaging $18000 a year and assuming rented 100% )  = $1,078,000
Profit 155 %

Shares
2006 $50,000
2017  $420,000

Profit 740%

and it is not about what is better it is about diversification

Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 9:47am

I know you are very intelligent but you can't do basic maths
Property
2006  $373,000 +$50,000 holding costs = $423,000
2017  $880,000 +$198,000 rental returns (generous averaging $18000 a year and assuming rented 100% )  = $1,078,000
Profit 155 %

Shares
2006 $50,000
2017  $420,000

Profit 740%

and it is not about what is better it is about diversification

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 5:07pm
Thanks for the positive update Rosscoe . I'm actually looking at investing in Japan atm . 

But , being a bit of a pessimistic investor I'm worried 2018 will see a correction and with rising interest rates in the world it must have a negative impact on our local economy . 
 If interest rates and hence the cost of money goes up internationally then our banks will have to pass on that cost to consumers ?? 
 Also we have one of the highest percentages of private debt in the world and I think if we get a correction it will be much larger than the GFC we didn't have . 

Good investing is knowing when to sell and that's the hard part I think . 

BTW - I read an article recently that the new Gilt is now Chinese property and not the USD or Gold . Shifts in either the USD or Gold do not seem to have the major impact they once had on the world economy , but Chinese property movements will have a larger impact on the world into the future. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>