Join up at Bet Easy - Click here - Bet Easy is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

STALLIONS FOR SALE - Event Date: 20 Mar 2010

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: STALLIONS FOR SALE
    Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 7:05pm
With a whole heap of stallions or stallion prospects on the market at the moment I would like to hear peoples comment on their ability or prospective ability their percieved stud fee value,

TRIED STALLIONS
INVESTORS DREAM
LORDS A LEAPING
REDOUTABLE
ESTAMBUL
REGAL SHOT
LACRYMA CRISTI
MOSAYTER
STALLION PROSPECTS
STORMHILL
ANGELO MINNY
GORKY PARK
ANNEKOV
SHORT PAUSE
BERTRAND
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

Mayor View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mayor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 7:11pm

Be very careful and speak in general terms, as we do not wish to affect sale negotiations. If you post is deleted, you know why. Just a friendly warning.

Mayor
Cookie View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 7:38pm
Too hard for anyone to work this out.

Go to the studbook, find out how many mares they served over the last 3 years. Ring the stud and find out how many mares were 'paying'. Multiply that by the service fee and then multiply that by 3 and you have an approximate value of the horse.

Edited by Mayor - 21 Mar 2010 at 1:28am
shiner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 8:42pm

Thanks for the warning Mayor but can you tell me why we are allowed to say that a stud fee is ridiculously high and the stallion is not worth anywhere near that amount but cannot discuss the stud fee these stallions should stand for.

Cookie, does anyone still use this model for valuing a Stallion? It seems to me that most bread and butter stallion are valued at 1 years worth of services. Also i was after their what people thought their service(stud) fee should be set at not their overall value, but thanks anyway.Big smile
orpen View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orpen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 9:45pm
Mayor, I'd be astonished if any of the posts from the cognoscenti in the forum could affect sales negotiations on any stallion! Nothing else we opine on seems to have much influence!

Edited by Mayor - 21 Mar 2010 at 1:29am
shiner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 10:07pm

Cookie, what is your opinion of the stallion prospects I have listed

tvlark View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvlark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 10:22pm
Understandable why you value them at the Cookie, but I think many of these sires have a lot of underestimated value. If advertised and marketed correctly perhaps some could serve 50+ mares a season.

Basically the difference between us valuing a stallion who has a set stud fee and is stable at a stud, and us valuing a stallion on the market is our opinion - as breeders - can influence prospective buyers. I think that's what the Mayor's getting at.

Edited by Mayor - 21 Mar 2010 at 1:30am
~ It's all about the heart of the Thoroughbred ~
The Kings Enemy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Kings Enemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 10:56pm
Wow. I didnt know regal shot was for sale. Love that horse.
dimevision View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimevision Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2010 at 1:20am
i really like regal shot. Really nice types, he has good looking babies

Edited by Mayor - 21 Mar 2010 at 1:39am
Mayor View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mayor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2010 at 1:38am
I told you, I am editing these posts very heavily to remove any comments that may affect the market value of any individual horse. General comments only, please. 
Mayor
birricannia View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birricannia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2010 at 6:07am
LACRYMA CRISTI - underrated, good breed to race prospect.
Owners think they're trainers,trainers think they're jockeys and jockeys don't think
Ringlock View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2010 at 6:05pm
Heard a whisper that Cheval de Troy may be moving to NSW

Edited by Mayor - 21 Mar 2010 at 7:48pm
orpen View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orpen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2010 at 6:42pm
I had a look at Cheval de Troy up at Craiglea when he first arrived. I think he is a really well put together stallion, great bone and lovely head & seemed to have a pretty relaxed temperament.
He has 4 fillies going through the MM QTIS sale that starts today. My choice is lot 379.
Cheval de Troy will have to do it the hard way, but I like his female line, liked his performance and he is fair value.
v and m View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote v and m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 10:49pm
Out of all the stallions I like REDOUTABLE the best, I think he has pedigree that would suit a range of broodmares.
Especially mares with Green Dancer, Halo, More Than Ready, Sir Tristram, Bold Reason, The Minstrel etc

It's just rather risky though, he needs to get some winners up fast to even consider him
ZAMINGA
orpen View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orpen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 5:23am
The Cheval de Troy's sold well.

Four fillies, $12k,$14k,$18k and $36k.

shiner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 8:11am
not bad ofo a $3300 service fee
Poulsen View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poulsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 1:29pm
More importantly who bought them?
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 4:39pm
All the good judges
reng View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 6:39pm
:)  I recall a sales company rep telling me that every judge is a good judge!  Sometimes they'll be right and sometimes they'll be wrong; but they're all having a go and that makes them good.  Seemed a positive, yet political, way of approaching the idea!
The problem with Opportunity is that it wears overalls and looks like work.
v and m View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote v and m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 7:01pm
Short Pause seems alright too, he's conformation isn't bad, he wasn't a bad racehorse either and his pedigree would suit mares with maybe Nureyev, Never Bend, Klairon, Northfields, Sir Tristram, Secretariate, Cosmic Bomb, and/or Nasrullah.

he would be a good option for people wanting to breed stayers maybe?
ZAMINGA
orpen View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orpen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 7:06pm
Lot 379 was bought by Mitch Frazer of Royston. There were at least two genuine bidders on her. I talked to the underbidder afterwards so the $36k was dinkum.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birricannia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 8:35pm
Another that sold very well was Dr Green 5k fee and they sold to 70k (Good week for Secret Hill).
Owners think they're trainers,trainers think they're jockeys and jockeys don't think
The Kings Enemy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Kings Enemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 1:37am
How do you lear who matches with what bloodlines, and the nicking etc? Is it just from pouring over horses that have done well and noting what crossed well?
orpen View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orpen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 2:39am
The Dr Green that went for $70k had a lot of Fu Peg about him..looked terrific, but so do many Fu Pegs!
rubiton View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubiton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 4:37am
Don't forget about the 'sports horse' market where many of the nice types but not trendy stallions end up.  Iga Ninja, Family Ties, one of the Russian ones from years ago are a few that ended up as equestrian sires - this is where some of these may end up rather than pure racehorse breeders (and if some are already in those types of homes their studbook stats would be misleading).
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 8:50am
As an example of a tried stallion Hayil sold for 11K through MM, he was a middle park stakes winner.

As you can see the market for a stallion that has failed to get the results expected is not worth much money.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birricannia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 6:22pm
And he had produced over 50% winners to runners as well bradjm, so was not the worst around.
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 7:53pm
No he wasn't and had limited opportinity, but leaving stakes winners out a stallion really has to produce a number of metro class horses.
Fastnetrock View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fastnetrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by orpen orpen wrote:

Lot 379 was bought by Mitch Frazer of Royston. There were at least two genuine bidders on her. I talked to the underbidder afterwards so the $36k was dinkum.

I heard that Cheval de Troy was relocating to Royston. Not so dinkum i think.Wink
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 2:33am
haha
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic