Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Stallion suggestions - Duty With Honour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 4:50pm
Yulong January likely to go around again tomorrow at headquarters, albeit at a prohibitive quote.  There's another natural leader in the field however Jye McNeil says the horse doesn't have to lead so will hopefully avoid a speed race up front.

Hope you won't consider the following boastful because it certainly isn't meant to be: rather more a matter of us being extremely prideful breeders.

Summary: Duty With Honour:

Purchased for $13k, multiple winner (city winner plus a frustrating five times 2nd in town).

Dam of 4 to race for total stud fees of less than $22k.  All being winners of a total of 23 races (14 metro) with 33 (24 metro) placings, two stakes wins, four stakes places, $1,012,587 in prize-money.

Go Harry!

Mumtaz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mumtaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 7:32pm
You've got every reason to be prideful!

As you say, go Harry!
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 10:04pm
Most impressive! May I ask how u choose your sires?
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 1:45am
OMG. There you are, Sister.   So I know you are safe. 
animals before people.
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 2:28pm
Winner winner chicken dinner.
Congrats SC and RFF
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 4:12pm
3rd post! Think I’m more excited than SC 😁 what a super horse 👏👏👏
1st Flemington today, the wonderful Mamzelle Tess 3rd
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 4:33pm
Been travelling, then home to fires! All good with us though, Sorry to worry you xx
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 5:33pm
2020 starts with a bang.  Hope the year continues to offer up great results for everyone here.  Congratulations on producing yet another superior runner.  Just what any breeder worth there right to breed should be trying to do.  Yet time and time again alot of breeding is done to have a good result in the sale ring.  Pity they couldn't go together for you here.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 8:25pm
Thanks for everyone's posts and pm's of congratulations. Star

We were there today and it was both thrilling and nerve wracking.  The leader went "easy" until into the straight and didn't know if we could peg back his two-plus lengths lead with 500m to go.  He gave plenty but thankfully we gave just a little more to win by a long head.

After the race David suggested they'd continue with Harry's campaign provided he pulled up ok.  One option was the Chester Manifold in 10 days time but he expressed concern that it would would entail three runs in 21 days which was a big ask.  Another alternative was the John Dillon Stakes in 24 days time.

Sis in response to your query there's been some earlier debate in this thread about our mating strategies however will summarize a few examples later in the week.  Smile
Mumtaz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mumtaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 10:46am
Sorry I missed this.

Great form and looking forward to seeing him at the next level.  He looks more than ready.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Sister Dot Sister Dot wrote:

Most impressive! May I ask how u choose your sires?

Sister, we're very much into line breeding.  Here's two examples of matings we chose for the mare.

Unfortunately the Kaphero died from snakebite so we'll never know.  However you can see the superior horses commonly replicated in each pedigree.  The King of Prussia match is now proven twice on the racetrack.  Will later post the pedigree of Money Maher which has so far won three stakes races for us.

Kaphero - Duty With Honour King of Prussia - Duty With Honour

Danehill 3 x 3     Danzig 4 x 4
Century 3 x 4     Century 4 x 4
Vain 5 x 5     Vain 5 x 5
Star Kingdom 5,7 x 6,6     Star Kingdom 7 x 6,6
Orgoglio 7 x 5,7     Orgoglio 7 x 5,7
Natalma 6,6 x 6,6     Natalma 5 x 6,6
    My Babu 6,7,7 x 5
sibs Vana & Elated 4 x 6,6     sibs Vana & Elated 4 x 6,6
sibs N Dancer & Spring Adieu  N Dancer & Spring Adieu 4 x 5, 5
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 5:49pm
Harry goes around again tomorrow after a little freshen.  We'll be there, and hopefully in the photo should he salute.  Star
Mumtaz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mumtaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 7:51pm
All the best.  It must be nice to know that you could well have the best horse in a race at that level.
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 10:50pm
Thanks for that SD, definitely onto something there. I don’t know much in-depth info re linebreeding, but I do love seeing Vain in a pedigree 😁 I know it revolves around the mares? There’s always so many well known successful horses in every pedigree, how do you pinpoint the one that caused all the success? It’s ok, don’t answer, I know I could read a book on the subject and still not breed a champ 🤔🐎
I’ll just sit back and enjoy watching Harry romp another one in. 🍀
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 6:10pm
He tried so hard, in very good company, I guess he'll have a little paddock time now?
Mumtaz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mumtaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 7:00pm
A really nice horse
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 7:21pm
I really hate how you beat a horse in a normal race then come to the stakes race have to give it more weight and they beat you!  Still a good run.
diomed View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote diomed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 3:54am
It is good to see success with linebreeding. Thumbs Up I thought I was the only fan left.
Duty With Honour has a nice pair of full siblings in her pedigree.
I see you are not afraid to use older stallions. Beer
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 11:08am
Thanks folks.

Harry had no excuses, but it's hard to give away 3kgs to a horse we only beat by a head last start.  He'll almost certainly go to the paddock now after recording 4 wins, a 2nd and a 4th from 6 starts this prep.  Thumbs Up
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 5:37pm
Love seeing those dups of Century and Vain.👍
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 5:41pm
How much sex balanced duplicating Is involved in those matings, SC.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by diomed diomed wrote:

It is good to see success with linebreeding. Thumbs Up I thought I was the only fan left.
Duty With Honour has a nice pair of full siblings in her pedigree.  I see you are not afraid to use older stallions. Beer

Thanks Diomed, we now have you in Ireland along with a couple of others in the USA and Germany as our overseas breeding afficionados.  Thumbs Up

You'll have also seen that one of the siblings you refer to in Duty With Honour, ie Vain and Vana out of Rarcamba, is replicated in King of Prussia's pedigree.  A huge tick there imo. 
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 7:21pm
nice to see a great campaign 
Well done SC. 
🍾🍾
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by goldey goldey wrote:

How much sex balanced duplicating Is involved in those matings, SC.

Goldey have tried to cut and paste without success.

Suggest you go to Racing Australia, call Yulong January up, open up his pedigree chart at the bottom of which you'll find his sex-oriented in-breeding data.

Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 10:09pm
He tried valiantly, that’s all you can ask. A horse anyone would love to own ⭐️
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 4:00pm
And now back to Sis's earlier question about in-breeding.

Money Maher (Al Maher from Treasury Notes)has won three stakes races for us so far.  There's no in breeding in the first three removes, however the match provides:

a. a score of 3.62 on Wright's in-breeding coefficient (0-1 being low and 5-6 being arguably over the top) and
b. a score of 23.05% (22.66% cross duplications) on Hardiman's coefficient of in-breeding. The % speaks for itself.

They're predominantly male crosses with a North American influence as the following shows:

Northern Dancer 4,5 x 4,5 
Siblings ND/Spring Adieu) 4,4,5 x 4,5 Sibs His Majesty/Graustark 4 x 5
Natalma 5,5,6 x 5,6 Sibs His Majesty/Graustark 4 x 5
Ribot 5 x 6 Flower Bowl 5 x 6
Hail To Reason 5 x 6,6 Almahmoud 6,6,6,7 x 6,7
Turn-To 6,7 x 7,7 Petition 6 x 6
Alibhai 6,7 x 7 Tom Fool 6 x 6,7
Bull Page 6 x 6 Lalun 7 x 6
Flaring Top 6 x 7 War Admiral 7 x 6
Bull Lea 7,7 x 7 

and so on.

Going back 7 generations there'll always be a fair number of duplications, however they're rather more concentrated than the norm in Money Maher's case.  Of course none of the above may have anything to do with his success.  But I'm still claiming so.  Wink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Just for you Goldey.

King of Prussia - Duty With Honour

Danzig 3S x 4D
Century 4S x 3D
Vain 5S x 5D
Star Kingdom 7M x 6M,6M
Natalma 5M x 6M,6D
My Babu 6M,7D,7D x 5M
sibs Vana & Elated 4D x 6S,6S
sibsN Dancer & Spring Adieu 4M x 5M,5D
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 5:01pm
And now Double Wraps, Duty's last foal.  Breaking the so-called "rules" re sex-balancing but nevertheless essentially a close up KISS mating:  Danehill 3M x 3M: Bletchingly 4D x 5D, 5D.

Only time will tell.
diomed View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote diomed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 12:45am
The post above on Wright's in-breeding coefficient above gave me the imputus to go to TrueNicks and get a report on the foal my mare is carrying, by Scissor Kick out of Beatisa.
A lot of work went into selecting the sire/mare combination before I bought the mare.

I was afraid the Inbreeding Coefficient would be high.  It is 3.32%.
The Degree of Relatedness is 5.50%.

They give it A+, a variant of 4.21.
I do not think this makes the unborn foal a star, but it is in the group that does not have to sit on the naughty stool.

How many horses bred on the Direct Sire/Broodmare Sire cross? ...... zero Cry

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 8:33am
Tail line Best in Show for both sire and dam couldn't hurt.Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>