Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Stallion suggestions - Duty With Honour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 2:08pm
I wish you all the luck in the world.

And I hope I am wrong.

But I just can not see him succeeding in Australia. 
reductio ad absurdum
Spearmint View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spearmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 7:51pm
Fantastic, he is a beautifully conformed stallion with a great race record.

I think he will make it as a stallion here and I look forward to seeing his first season foals.

I wonder if he will throw predominately Greys?

Best of luck 👍
"Nothing in the world is so powerful as an idea whose time has come"
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 8:13pm
Not sure Spearmint but to be a dominate grey you need to have it on both sides of the family.  His sire's female line is the only part with the grey.  But it would be lovely to get some more greys on the ground.  Chautauqua looked so lovely today and D'Argento looks to be one who will carry the colour with aplume this season.

It's at least interesting to see Seattle Slew and Mr Prospector in his pedigree as these two come from the same family as Wilkes.
Spearmint View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spearmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2018 at 10:47am
Think you might be right Furious about the grey dominant factor. There is no direct female line in his pedigree that is grey. So he will probably have a normal distribution of coat colours in his progeny.
Just love those dappled grey horses as well
"Nothing in the world is so powerful as an idea whose time has come"
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 3:18pm
Good luck with Yulong January on Saturday SC.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 11:58am
Thanks Furious.

He drew wide and there's a strong likelihood of rain in Adelaide on Saturday, so he's going to Swan hill today instead.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 12:06pm
oh well good luck there then!
lulu View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 7:23pm
Clap Too good.
You're either Einstein or Frankenstein in this game.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 7:47pm
That mare really loves King of Prussia!  Another lovely win.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 7:49pm
The one it beat is out of a mare I picked from Stratum's first crop before I decided to close to Canny wasn't good.  She was a beautiful mare a real looker.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

That mare really loves King of Prussia!  Another lovely win.

No wonder, it's a fabulous mating Tongue

Edited by Gay3 - 14 Sep 2018 at 8:49pm
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 12:36am
Was impressive,not many can win there first 2
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 6:52pm
Thanks for everyone's kind words.  Thumbs Up

Yes Gay his breeding pattern comes up trumps both on paper and on the track, and a lot of thought went into the mating. 

Duty's 2yo colt by Cluster is with Danny Williams, and there's a fair bit to enthuse about in his genetic makeup too, particularly if you can hack the 3 x 3 Danehill.  Here's his pedigree, and a shot of him taken earlier this week:

Ticino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ticino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 9:40pm
Hello,
has anybody noted, Yulong January is bred 5x7x7 to the FS Elated (Vain)/Vana.
regards, Ticino
P.S.: How about to name the next foal, with the above mating "You're so Vain"
Ticino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ticino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 9:46pm
Hello,
sorry I made a mistake.
I wanted to write abovementioned horse is bred 5x67x7 Rarcamba via FS Elated/Vana.

regards, Ticino
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 10:02pm
Well you got me looking very closely for that 3rd instance of Vain LOL You're never wrong so I figured it had to be there somewhere LOL

I love the Cluster match too, along with the physical result Heart

Edited by Gay3 - 15 Sep 2018 at 10:03pm
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 10:41pm
Good powerful hindquarter there.  
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Ticino Ticino wrote:

Hello, sorry I made a mistake.  I wanted to write abovementioned horse is bred 5x7x7 Rarcamba via FS Elated/Vana.  regards, Ticino 

That name you suggested is a beauty Ticino. Star  However the major owner has names him Double Wrap.

And yes, Rarcamba does loom large even if she does appear some generations back. 

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 7:29pm
After Yulong January's win at Randwick today both my partner and Leeanne Smith of Bucklee Farm harassed me about going back to King of Prussia this season.

However she was yesterday confirmed in foal to Frosted.    
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 8:00pm
Hope its a filly SC.  But she does seem to have an affinity with King of Prussia.
Cityboy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cityboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 10:03am
Great win/ nice prizemoney👍
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 11:15am
Wangaratta’s son of the ‘King’ remains unbeaten

INDUSTRY NEWS

Described as a ‘‘a bit of a dude’’ by his trainer Ciaron Maher, Victorian bred Yulong January is certainly taking it all in his stride as the three-year-old now heads towards black-type targets.

The son of Greta West sire King Of Prussia, bred by Wangaratta’s Allan and Cheryl Price, cruised to victory in the Young Members Handicap at Randwick last Saturday keeping his unbeaten record intact.

Greta West’s Laurie McCarthy is thrilled the colt is flying the flag for the stud’s longstanding stallion.

“You really have to take your hat off to King Of Prussia as he only gets his ten or so mares a year, but he sure can throw a very handy horse or two,” McCarthy said.

“We bought King of Prussia off the track and he is part of the furniture now. He may not be the most commercial stallion, but when you look at his runners the last couple of years he has had Prussian Vixen, Entre Nous, Cha Cha King and now with Yulong January he certainly punches above his weight.

“He may be getting on a bit, but he is very fertile, and he wouldn’t mind a few more mares coming his way.”

“(Breeder) Allan Price keeps his dam Duty With Honour at our property and although she headed off to Frosted this year, after Yulong January’s success Allan has said that she will certainly be coming back to King Of Prussia next year.”

Ciaron Maher, who trains in partnership with David Eustace, indicated that Yulong January will head to the Group 3 Carbine Club Stakes over 1600 metres at Flemington on Derby Day.  â€œHe’s a very genuine horse and just keeps improving. He’s a straightforward no-frills horse. He does his work, he eats up – you wouldn’t know he’s a colt,” Maher said.

Bred by the Prices, long-term clients of Greta West, Yulong January was a yearling sold through the Bucklee Farm draft at the 2017 Inglis Premier Sale.  â€œHe could prove to be a brilliant bargain by the end of the spring carnival,” McCarthy said.

“Leeanne (Smith) and Bucklee Farm are pretty much our neighbours, and they prepare and sell most of our yearlings. We have three heading to them at this stage to the Premier Sale that are all going to be worth a second look. We support each other, and they are a big help with all our walk-ins.”

robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 12:50pm
Great stuff - must be a huge thrill. What does Duty With Honour have on the deck?
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 2:12pm
Fantastic Guys, great to see the recognition.
Rebel - racing. Lionel - in work. Glory - spelling. Ray - spelling. A Wee Nip - in work.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 2:24pm
Just shows there are stallions out there capable of getting a good horse with the right mare.  I wonder which part of five great crosses has come through with this boy.  You have the obvious Vain and the female line going back to his dams full sister.  Century cross, Danzig/Bletchingly double as well as the double Danzig through two of his better sons.  Then add the Sir Tristram/Bletchingly/Danehill trifecta.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 4:33pm
Thanks for everyone's kind words.  It's a very exciting time.

Yes, a marvelous pedigree Furious. Don't know which of the crosses or nicks works, but something certainly does.

Robbo, the mare has a 2yo named Double Wrap with Danny Williams.  Broken in, then two months in the paddock, into work education for 6 weeks, and now just back to the paddock.  The mare had great trouble foaling him so wasn't served in 2016, and last year missed to King Of Prussia on one belated service in late December.  She has an early positive to Frosted this season and fingers crossed she holds.

Yulong will most likely have his next start in a 3yo Listed race over 1400m on Caulfield Cup day, and all going well into the Carbine Club a fortnight later on Derby day.  If he wins next start will poke my nose in and suggest they put in a late nomination for the Coolmore Stakes instead as I reckon he'd go great down the straight six.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 8:09pm
"She has an early positive to Frosted this season and fingers crossed she holds."

What appeals to you about this mating? This is the Tapit horse? BOL tomorrow too Thumbs Up
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 8:50pm
Gay, I think our record since going full-on is 6 winners from 14 of racing age including two stakes-winners, with hopefully an additional stakes-performer after tomorrow's racing.

But that doesn't pay the bills, so we've gone with Frosted on two counts.  Firstly he's a great match from a physical perspective, but more importantly it's time we went to a commercial stallion that might return us a *!# profit on investment.

furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 2:10pm
Well he got the black type but that riderless horse was quite a worry early on.  He's well up to stakes company and should pick up a win next time in.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 3:04pm
Cheers Thumbs Up I'm glad I wasn't missing an obvious pedigree match & hope it works in your favour come sale time Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>