Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Stallion Parades

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stallion Parades
    Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 5:58pm
Any perspectives from those that attended the parades in NSW on the weekend, or Victoria the week prior? Any goss?
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 6:41pm
Only attended Northwood Robbo.

Of the newer fellows, thought:

Impending was generally average, not a knock per se but rather there was nothing really eye-grabbing about him and wouldn't recommend sending a smallish or fine boned mare to him.  Not that I mind too much provided the visiting mare had size and scope, because both he and his dad really knew how to find the line which I just love that in a stallion; whilst

Frosted was a real standout with size, strong bone and great muscle. Have a lightish 15.2/3 mare that produces winners to sires with presence, and he'd certainly suit her down to the ground.

A friend attended a couple of other parades and made particular mention of Rich Enuff (Woodside), Swear (Spendthrift) and Fighting Sun (Sun Stud). 

Over to others.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 11:48pm
Interesting to see how some studs can manage the stallions without chains, or with the chains loose over the nose, or at most, thru the mouth,  while others seem to have them over their gums for almost every horse.
Not a good look, or reccomend , for the handlers , but just MHO.    Dont like chains over gums. 

animals before people.
ianb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 3:19pm
So are they using the chain over the gums like a war bridle?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 4:53pm
Instead of the chain going thru the mouth just like a bridle bit would, its lifted up across the top gums, above the teeth, between gum and top lip.   Is that a war bridle ?  If it is I dont like it.
animals before people.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 5:28pm
Anyone see Maurice? Or his foals?
to the victor
ianb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ianb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 7:33pm
Gee that’s a harsh way of dealing with generally good horses.     I have seen a rope used over the gums but never a chain. The handler is, in my opinion un educated at probably a little on edge with the stallion, a chain is fantastic. You don’t need to be heavy handed to control them.   I have in the past used them over the nose to breed with (1 stallion only in 30 years) 1 stallion that the chain went through the mouth than wrapped under the lower jaw clipping back onto the chain itself. (Used this method for 1 week until he learnt to listen and jump up and get off, he was a very strong horse, and would fling my 110kg around with ease. Rearing bits on stallions I hate, to aggressive in the wrong hands.

Of all the stallions I have started I use a snaffle bit and 2 reins , really soft , and easy to steer them onto the mare
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 11:26pm
Pleased you feel that way ianb.  With your experience with stallions and all, makes me feel better, as someone said to me, when I said it was a bit " over the top,"   it was "normal" for a lot of stallions.  Cry   ( I know thats wrong, having seen 100s of stallions handled over the years ).  One stallion in particular came within an arms length of me on his way out,  and his mouth was open and his eyes were rolling, and his gums were almost bleeding with this bloody chain digging into his gums.  Made me feel a bit sick.  ( He wasnt the only one either ).
What do you call a war bridle ?   How does it work ??

animals before people.
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 12:48am
Originally posted by robbo robbo wrote:

Any perspectives from those that attended the parades in NSW on the weekend, or Victoria the week prior? Any goss?

We went to Newgate and Coolmore. Extreme Choice stood out as a Hussonet lookalike, really inherited that short coupled extremely muscular build.
They kept Deep Field till last, he was well behaved and had a very impressive strong physique.
Dissident went around like a warhorse, really put on a display, but wasn’t savage with it. Just very full of himself.
At Coolmore Pierro has really let down into a deep girthed lovely strong type since seeing him when he first got there.
They really spruiked Mercant Navy as the Fastnet Rock heir apparent.
Caravaggio was a magnificent beast, as were So You Think and American Pharoah, though lighter types. No Nay Never is a powerful, beautifully conformed eye catching fellow.
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
ianb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 8:15am
http://www.lemen.com/dict/i1stFormWarBridleA.jpg
This is a War Bridle with rope
Lip chains are just cruel
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 1:34pm
Thank You ianb for the pic.
Tanbon ;  at Newgate , when I was there Sat, they kept Menari until last.  Before he appeared there was great revving of car engines  ( "Menari The Ferrari " ) and music/drum rolls roaring out over the PA . What I thought any nervous horse would be really impressed with,,,WinkThumbs Down.  Then out sauntered Menari without a care in the world, looking to be off his face !!!
I am hearing good things about Sooborg.  A few different people that went to Kitchwin reckon he is a stunner.  One of the best looking Snitzels they have seen, and reasonably priced.

animals before people.
 Post Reply Post Reply