Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Spirit Of Tasmania - Polo Ponies Deaths

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Tontonan Tontonan wrote:

Yet the man in charge of these horses didn't check on them on disembarking.  He drove the truck to Yarra Glen before he bothered to check.  

OMG  Are you serious ????   Thats horrific.  He should be charged with something, surely ??  Who would ever want him to work with their horses ever again ??
animals before people.
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 4:09pm
Seems curious to me.

On one hand we have the equine industry claiming transporting horses across Bass Strait has been a concern for some time especially with not being able to check on the horses during the passage.

On the other we know that on a night of record heat  Andrew Williams drove his truck off the ferry and did not bother to check on the horses until he arrived at Yarra Glen, 60kms down the road.  

(You'd reckon you might check how your 'best friends' were doing after 12 hours 'down below' on the hottest night of the year...well, I would)

Then there is the question of why the death of the horses was not made public until almost two weeks later.  The dead ponies were very well connected and this is the 'tally ho' crowd.  

I am not suggesting that the ferry operator is not at fault and it certainly sounds like carbon monoxide  poisoning or heat stress or a combination of both but the investigation needs to be well scrutinized.   16 dead ponies on a routine crossing is not acceptable.
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 4:14pm
I suspect a heavy payout will be forthcoming. These people have very deep pockets:

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 4:32pm
Hope they look into installing some type of air monitoring system, monotox's as well, confined space area's should always be paramount regarding live animals imo.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 10:10pm
So they were his own ponies, yet he didnt stop and check them once he rolled off the ferry ??   After they had been confined all that time with no one checking them ?  Thats really even odder,,,
animals before people.
maxamill View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxamill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 10:21pm
I smell a rat on this !!   So someone that loves his horses that much ( or even if they didn't )
Doesn't look On them and say. "How ya going ya big boof heads" makes sure everything is ok
Just goes Down gets in his truck and drives off with out looking after 39 deg 12 hrs in truck standing

Please !! WT F F F !! After travelling that far even the harshest drivers would or even the laziest fck in the horse transport business would off

I hope they really delve into this
Truth will come out here I think ,
Insurance here we come !! Bit like the old snake in the feed bin trick
Does not add up

Had many a horse and cattle carted over 30 yrs not to many issues , I understand some animals get. "A travel sickness"but the whole lot
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 10:42pm
Some were his others were Johnny Kahlbetzer's, the son of the agribusiness billionaire.  

Williams account isn't entirely convincing in my opinion.  If he was concerned enough to contact his second truck and ask his head groom how those horses were travelling then he obviously had some concern for the condition of his horses but he did not check them until he had driven to Yarra Glen (when his destination was Forbes, NSW).  

He says he found 2 horses barely alive and dropped them off at his mate's place before driving the 16 dead horses 400km to an Equine clinic in Wagga Wagga.  That seems a long way to go on a hot night with 16 dead horses.  

Also, the 2 that were barely alive would have been a little more alive if he had checked them on collecting his truck from the ferry rather than waiting an hour to do so.  It is conceivable that other horses may have been barely alive when they came off the ferry - who knows ?  No one checked. 

Then there is the question of why it has taken so long for the story to be made public.   Partly because the evidence was removed to Wagga Wagga I would expect, and partly because this all looks bad, really bad, for everyone involved.  

Imagine for a moment if the 16 dead ponies were racehorse returning from a Tasmanian campaign.  Do you really think it would take a fortnight for the news to be made public ?  Do you think the stewards and RSPCA would have been cool with dead horses being driven out to Yarra Glen and then on to Wagga Wagga before anyone was notified ?  

Not on your Nelly.  The stewards would be all over them like a rash and the posse of the righteous would be on their high horses - and rightly so.  Not nearly enough consideration has been given to the welfare of those horses all the way down the line.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 10:53pm
Where did you get your 39 degrees from? My money would be on the silent killer Carbon Monoxide although it's impossible to believe that they don't have CO alarm systems on board.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 11:22pm
Yes its sounds like C.M. to me, too,  but  !!   Why just that truck load  ?  Wasnt there a second truck on board as well, with the same polo mob, and they all came off alive ??  Confused
It would be hot down there no doubt about it.  Slowdown said unseasonably hot weather .    Having been in vehicles driven onto these ferrys , and having to exit them and go top side, I can only say, its vile down there .  Heat and fumes.   One ferry I went on , we had to park next to a huge garbage truck and the smell made me vomit, literally, in the time it took me to get out and away from it.  Admittedly not this ferry, but very similar. 
But OMG who would just drive off the ferry, after all those hours,   ( with animals you claim to love to bits, )  and not stop to have a look at your horses and see if they were OK before driving on to where ever ??
There is more to this, I reckon.
animals before people.
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 11:25pm
I wouldn't discount heat stress as a contributing factor.  

It gets damn hot 'down below' particularly on nights as hot as that one.  In Melbourne the temperature did not drop below 27.8° overnight on the 28th/29th January.  In Devonport the lowest temperature overnight was 22°, an all time record minimum high, the hottest night Devonport has ever known. 

There are six vehicle decks that accommodate 500 vehicles on 'The Spirit'.  I suspect that being such a hot morning people waiting to drive off the ferry would have started up their cars to run the air conditioners which would have only poisoned an already hellish atmosphere below deck. 

In any case, no one was thinking of the horses. 

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 11:28pm
So right, Tonto.   And not even the driver in charge of them gave them a thought, which is very sad. 
animals before people.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 11:32pm
My money would be on CO inhalation, could it have come from the float in the first place,must be over a long period for two to survive, could well be no monitors as well.
this is very sad irrespective of any outcome.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 11:49pm
I know someone,,am friendly with them, and they breed and sell polo ponies,  ( as well as TBs ),  and those ponies cost a fortune.   I cant understand how the driver could be so careless as to drive off and not check on them.  Shocked
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 8:29am
animals before people.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 10:48am
Talk about handball , this does not sit right with me, ....why sooooo long.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 11:46am
Yes, I think its very odd ????
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 11:57am
When you want a half plausible cover up story, it takes time to dot the Is & cross all the Ts Wink
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 12:38pm
Yeah, but what are they covering up ?? Confused  Horses are back and  forth all the time.  Were they dead before they got on the ferry ?? Cry
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 1:25pm
DPIPWE's caution is probably understandable given the possibility of legal action. You'd want to get everything checked, know exactly what tests were done, by whom, and in what circumstances (oversight, accreditation etc).
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 8:43pm
does anyone remember this? 

21 polo ponies die within day at same Fla. showcase

Mysterious killer fells 21 valuable polo ponies

BRIAN SKOLOFF, ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published 5:30 am, Monday, April 20, 2009

Polo Ponies Were Given Incorrect Medication

By KATIE THOMAS

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 8:55pm
Yes, I do.    Could this be a similar thing  ?? 
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 10:04am
was wondering the same.

it seems very familiar and makes more sense than carbon monoxide poisoning, otherwise there would be far more occurrences, of this.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 3:50pm

Polo pony deaths: Animal welfare expert to quit over delays in Tasmanian investigations

Updated

A long-term adviser to the Tasmanian Government on animal welfare will quit his position over what he says is a "completely disappointing" lack of progress and deep-seated problems with the way it handles investigations.

It comes as the Government faces mounting pressure over a lack of information about what caused the death of 16 polo ponies in the back of a truck that crossed Bass Strait on the Spirit of Tasmania in January.

The driver of the truck was national polo identity Andrew Williams.

Principal Solicitor for the Melbourne-based Animal Law Institute, Malcolm Caulfield, wrote the first book on animal cruelty law in Australia and has sat on Tasmania's animal advisory board representing Animals Australia for more than a decade.

Dr Caulfield said while he understood investigations could be complex matters, "the Spirit of Tasmania isn't some rickety old ship that's transporting things across Bass Strait".

"So I presumed that we'd be hearing fairly quickly what was going on and what was needed to stop it happening again," he said.

"However as time as passed and we've heard nothing I've become increasingly concerned that there are underlying issues and problems relating to the enforcement of animal welfare law in Tasmania."

Dr Caulfield told the ABC, pony deaths aside, the committee had been routinely kept in the dark by the Department of Primary Industries on animal welfare cases.

Its recommendations are ignored and to continue to advise the Government would be "a waste of our time now", he said.

Dr Caulfield also accused the Government of actively interfering in the work of the RSPCA.

"I'm sorry to say that myself and Animals Australia, who I represent on the Animal Welfare Advisory Committee, have decided the lack of progress and the attitude of the department and the Minister has been so disappointing that we think there's little point continuing on the committee," Dr Caulfield said.

"We do that with regret because there have been very positive aspects in the committee in recent years ... it's been a very cooperative and positive environment and so that's why we're especially disappointed to say we think it's a bit of a waste of our time now."

The committee was established under Tasmania's Animal Welfare Act 1993 and is tasked with advising the Minister of Primary Industries on animal welfare issues, in particular legislation and community education.

It represents a cross-section of stakeholders, including farmers.

Senior government figure Jeremy Rockliff was recently replaced in the role of Primary Industries Minister by Sarah Courtney.

The committee's charter sets out that it be provided with "executive support by the Department of Primary Industries, Parks Water and the Environment".

Dr Caulfield said department resources had been "cut to the bone and beyond".

"I've had discussions with people, obviously confidentially with people in the department, who've indicated their frustration with the lack of leadership and will in relation to animal welfare," he said.

Dr Caulfield said the deaths of the polo ponies were not the first time animal welfare problems had been associated with shipping in Tasmania.

When the committee had asked the Minister and department for updates on various other issues including abattoir investigations, "the response has been completely disappointing".

RSPCA 'open to Government interference'

Dr Caulfield also hit out at the charity role of the RSPCA, which he said was ill-equipped to uphold the law, and called for a independent animal welfare body in Tasmania.

"I think RSPCA Tasmania is to open to interference by the Tasmanian Government," he said.

"I've seen this before, in circumstances where the RSPCA is proposing to do something that doesn't suit the government, the government will quite overtly threaten them and threaten to pull their funding.

"Now that isn't known publicly, but I've certainly been privy to conversations where that's a possible interpretation.

"I'd rather see the enforcing body being entirely, as far as possible, independent of that sort of pressure."

Earlier this month the RSPCA's Chief Vet Andrew Byrne told the ABC he'd requested information from the Government about the pony deaths, and called for its release as soon as possible.

After being contacted by DPIPWE officials, Dr Byrne conceded the investigation could take years.

The department received the ponies' autopsy results in February but has maintained details are "necessarily confidential".

DPIPWE will not say if or when information will be made public, while the Minister has said she will not comment on the case, or her department's investigation.

It follows calls for more information on the status of other animal cruelty investigations, including an 18-month old probe into an abattoir at Gretna, and the year-long investigation of another meatworks, at Cressy in Tasmania's north.

"It makes me feel that both major political parties, left and right, Labor and Liberal, have missed the boat on this one, that they don't see this as an issue that's of concern to the public," Dr Caulfield said.

"They have failed to realise that this is something the public would like to see action on."

In a statement, the government said the Animal Welfare Advisory Committee played an "important role in providing advice".

"Minister Rockliff during his tenure had constructive discussions with the committee. Minister Courtney is committed to continuing the constructive relationship," a spokeswoman said.

The spokeswoman said the government had increased funding to the RSPCA inspectorate from $400,000 to $550,000 and its "formal arrangements" for responding to allegations of animal cruelty "work well."

It had also budgeted extra funds for livestock officers within Biosecurity Tasmania, the spokeswoman said.

http://abc.net.au/news/2018-04-30/animal-welfare-expert-slams-govt-handling-of-investigations/9708470

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 4:03pm
juxtapose this with the sheep ship deaths, similar interested parties involved.

where is a decent politician when you need one...
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 4:27pm
This really stinks, there is a dark cloud hovering over this whole debacle, perfect story for 4 corners to get its teeth into, I would not be surprised if this went in a completely different direction.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 11:12pm
Can someone answer these questions?
1) the horses we loaded at mid-day on one of Tassies hottest summer days. Was there water available on the truck in the ensuing 18 hours?
2) Is it true that the "trailer" was a de-commissioned refrigeration van? ( IF so would not it retain heat? )
3) why didn't the owner/driver check them before leaving the dock?

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 12:27am
I think there are a lot of questions and answers, to be explained,  around that whole scene.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 9:37am
Were they insured?Wink
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 11:23am
After being contacted by DPIPWE officials, Dr Byrne conceded the investigation could take years Confused
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 11:30am
What a load of bollocks.  This is the 21st century and they expect us to believe it takes years for vets to work out what killed a horse ???
animals before people.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>