Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

So Si Bon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SYT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 8:05am
Originally posted by winx winx wrote:

Laing has said that he will be running in the Rosehill guineas and then either the BMW or QE. No Derby. Been set for 2000 and wasn't expecting much in Melbourne

Interesting... in his pre-race updates on the horse he was rather confident, even first up.
SYT View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SYT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 3:35pm
How poorly placed has this bloke been? Just the 1 win in 11 starts... feels like he should have a few more wins to his name
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 4:02pm
Agree. New trainer req'd
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 4:38pm
MissRock similar, having said that probably wins tomorrow.
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 5:52pm
Probably not going to change trainers anytime soon, Robbie part owns them both
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 6:05pm
doesnt seem to be an owner of SSB
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 7:12pm
Where did he come from?
Flight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 7:14pm
The rear.  Smile

Always travelling.

“The probability of a certain set of circumstances coming together in a meaningful (or tragic) way is so low that it simply cannot be considered mere coincidence. ”
― V.C. King
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 7:16pm
Jeepers, just saw the replay

HUGE
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 7:18pm
His dam is Black Minx, he might be better being kept fresh and 1200m.
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 7:18pm
Knowing Robbie, he could run in the Melbourne Cup on the Tuesday and the Sprint on the Saturday
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 7:30pm
Will probably chuck him into top grade straight away again. Needs to get some wins under the belt against the lesser horses imo.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 3:52pm
Apparently the Epsom and Toorack are his targets.

The big question, how much racing will he do to get to those races ?
reductio ad absurdum
Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by SkyDancer SkyDancer wrote:

Probably not going to change trainers anytime soon, Robbie part owns them both
Does that mean he manages the syndicate and is in full control or can the other owners decided to change trainers and ignore his complaints, hypothetically speaking because I know it won't happen. 
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 7:50pm

So Si Bon to emulate Cole Diesel?

Andrew Eddy (@fastisheddy) & Ben Asgari (@BenAsgariRacing)

3:02pm

Trainer Robbie Laing claims his talented four-year-old So Si Bon is so versatile he might be able to emulate the incredible 1989 feat of Cole Diesel by winning a Toorak Handicap and then a Caulfield Cup seven days later.

So Si Bon caught the eye first-up with a slashing fresh run at Flemington and Laing said he was likely to run the horse at Caulfield on Saturday week before setting him towards the lofty Group 1 double in October.

"I might do a Cole Diesel and run him in the Toorak Handicap and then Caulfield Cup," Laing said on Tuesday.

"He can run all distances. He ran fourth in the (Victoria) Derby and I thought he was a good thing beaten. He missed the kick, gave them 15 lengths start and ran fourth."

In 1989, the Greg Mance-owned and trained Cole Diesel won the 1600-metre Toorak Handicap with a late burst and then seven days later backed up in the 2400-metre Caulfield Cup to again round up the field to score.

So Si Bon turned in an impressive first-up fresh run over 1000m at Flemington when he beat all but Sunday Escape after coming from last and Laing said he was looking to run him again on Memsie Stakes Day.

"We could see him at Caulfield over 1100 metres on Saturday. We'd love to go to the Memsie but all the good judges tell me that no way known will he get a run as he's only an 88-rater," he said.

"At the end of the day, he's only won a Pakenham maiden so he gets into races like the Bobbie Lewis and the Sir Rupert Clarke on the minimum.

"Gee, you think he'd be hard to beat over 1400 metres on the minimum in three or four weeks' time."

Laing was speaking from Moonee Valley where he took a handful of other spring hopefuls for a gallop. Afterwards he said his three-year-old Frankel My Dear was set to run at the track this Saturday, along with Missrock and his imported stayer Darabad.

"Frankel My Dear is improving all the time," he said. "Three months ago he was flat winning an average trial but he's just improved. He went to seconds in trials and then winning trials and his run the other day was great. His last sectional was good and he's improved again.

"He put it to Missrock throughout their work this morning and I thought their work was exceptional."

Laing said Missrock is also a likely Valley runner.

"We are going to bring her forward to run on Saturday because on the Mornington Peninsula it has been so wet and we've been starved of a lot of grass gallops and I don't want to go to the races we've picked out for her in a month's time underdone," he said.

Darabad will also reappear after being gelded during his spell.

"Darabad needs to get going and so he'll run in the 1600," he said. "They'll be a bit quick for him but he's a gelding now and is far more genuine. His work is much better this time in.

"Ultimately, the Melbourne Cup (is his goal) but it's a hard race to get into so he'll have to win a Herbert Power or a Geelong Cup."

reductio ad absurdum
monty1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 11:31pm
Does Robbie have a dartboard to plan his horses preparations? He has some of the most poorly placed horses I've seen.

I would love to know the amount of his horses that go around in races at 100/1? There are plenty and a lot of his runners finish back towards the tail of the field, his strike rate must be pretty bad.
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 11:41pm
Polanski must have been the second coming of Tulloch.
Sunline...simply supreme
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 11:58pm
I think the Toorak over 1600m is right for So Si Bon. His best run ever imo was in the Caulfield Guineas.

My only concern is the Toorak is a long way off and he might have the zip trained out of him by then.

I started with nothing and still have most of it left
mikey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 8:50am
Is he likely to make the field for the Rupert Clarke?
Vivarchi View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivarchi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 5:34am
"So Si Bon to emulate Cole Diesel"

Hasn't been done for 30 years. Sounds like a great plan from Robbie. I guess it tickled his fancy.

Good luck to So Si Bon. Horse has a lot of talent.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 5:36pm
Flying this prep
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 5:44pm
He has to be the best looking horse running around in Australia at present.

A big black bull just like his sire So You Think and his dam sire Lonhro.

I started with nothing and still have most of it left
mikey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 10:11pm
I am on the bandwagon now. Have taken him @ $18 in the Rupert Clake & Toorak and even a bite of $151 for the Caulfield Cup.

He really looks like he is flying this spring and some of his dad's talent looks to have flowed down.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 7:24pm
Is So Si Bon an automatic starter innthe Caulfield and Melbourne Cups ir does he have too win to make the fields?
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 7:37pm
He needs to get his rating up.
reductio ad absurdum
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Jamal Jamal wrote:

Is So Si Bon an automatic starter in the Caulfield and Melbourne Cups ir does he have too win to make the fields?

He's got Buckleys of being sound come November or even mid October Wink
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Flight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 7:50pm
1200-1600.  2000 at a max.

He is not a 2400m+ horse.

“The probability of a certain set of circumstances coming together in a meaningful (or tragic) way is so low that it simply cannot be considered mere coincidence. ”
― V.C. King
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Flight Flight wrote:

1200-1600.  2000 at a max.

He is not a 2400m+ horse.

if they have cups plans they are going about it in a funny way, with a 1000m then an 1100m race. 
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 8:46pm
Don't forget who trains him Tlaz Wink
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 8:51pm
Main aim is the Rupert Clarke this prep.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>