Please visit VillageBet for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Simon Marshall- Durbridge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KangaMick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simon Marshall- Durbridge
    Posted: 11 May 2012 at 3:55pm
For all you old fellas like me that used to love Durbridge I found out some info today.

Many years ago Simon said he used to sing to Durbridge to help the horse relax while cruising along at the front.
A journo once asked him what the song was, but he said he wouldn't tell him as he didn't want to give the other jockeys a leg up should he ever be suspended.

Well today I was asking Simon via twitter what the song was as I have always been curious.
There we're 5 songs.

Song sung Blue- Neil Diamond
Eagle Rock- Daddy Cool
I feel good- James Brown
Beat it- James Brown
We are the Champiins- Queen

So there you go, one of life's great mysteries is now solved!!
2007 JASBTC Champion,2008 JASBTC Runner-Up. NSW Surge-Aussie LFL Champions 2013/14
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

troppo75 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troppo75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 3:59pm
Nice work Kanga, loved backing Durbridge with S.D on board. Not so sure the singing got the wins bit its a nice little side story to a great combination.

Now having passed 1000 posts I feel you are all so much the wiser for my having said... stuff!
djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 4:09pm
Can you ask him, Was he singing the wrong songs in the Spring of his career. He was a lengths better horse in the autumn. Or at least that is the general consensus. 

STRIKE WHILST THE IRON IS HOT

reductio ad absurdum

The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least.

Muss View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 5:27pm
Wacko sang Beat It.
Keyboard Warrior
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 5:28pm
Invaluable information.
bachi View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bachi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 6:09pm
I remember in my strapping days taking a horse back to the stables after her race, I sang Shakiras "Wherever Whenever" lol now im not the best singer in the world and when I hit the high notes she would rear up haha dont think I have sang that song since!
You should never be in a hurry unless your 50 metres from the post and you're in front!
KangaMick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KangaMick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 6:23pm
Typo- Beat It, was MJ
2007 JASBTC Champion,2008 JASBTC Runner-Up. NSW Surge-Aussie LFL Champions 2013/14
Muss View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 11:45pm
One of the funniest pieces of TV I have ever seen was Simon Marshall attempting to get Andrew Bensley to sing on SKY.

Priceless insight into their respective personalities. 

Can't find it on You tube unfortunately.
Keyboard Warrior
marscay View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marscay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 12:45am
Was no better sight than watching that little chestnut when he was on song.

Brilliant looking horse.....big soft spot for this guy.

KangaMick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KangaMick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 2:35pm
In my top 10 favs of all time
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic