Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Sepoy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 9:59pm
Has 2 genuine chances in the first group 1 on Arc day - Dabyah and Bailey's Showgirl.

reductio ad absurdum
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 6:06pm
Is he still on the nose?
rem286 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem286 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 11:12am
Probably.  Takes a lot to come back in this industry.  Although, I did use him this year as I thought he was great value at the price I got him.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 1:36pm
And pray tell for the benefit of all on this forum for next season how much was that?
rem286 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem286 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 2:07pm
I got him at $8k.  Can do a lot worse at that price.
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 8:46pm
Yeah I don't know 1 sw from 135 runners in Australia probably got some very good Darley mares to boot.
Spearmint View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spearmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 7:39am
Well I think this horse is on the rise. It looks like his stock need to mature and he is not necessarily a 2yo sire unlike the racehorse he was.
At $8k he sounds a great prospect for breeding a racehorse if at an affordable rate.

Remember Street Boss was down to $8k at one stage and he now stands for $33k!!

Darley sometimes get it wrong. This may just be the year to get Sepoy at his lowest fee.

I'm tempted if you can truly get in for $8k
"Nothing in the world is so powerful as an idea whose time has come"
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 8:28am
Originally posted by Spearmint Spearmint wrote:

Well I think this horse is on the rise. It looks like his stock need to mature and he is not necessarily a 2yo sire unlike the racehorse he was.
At $8k he sounds a great prospect for breeding a racehorse if at an affordable rate.

Remember Street Boss was down to $8k at one stage and he now stands for $33k!!

Darley sometimes get it wrong. This may just be the year to get Sepoy at his lowest fee.

I'm tempted if you can truly get in for $8k

That is true, however I don't think he got the mares sepoy did, and how is street boss traveling lately?
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 8:40am
There's a deal of hype around Street Boss, however the reality is that he's been a very average stallion in Australia who stays under notice (at least temporarily) due to The Quarterback and some overseas successes.
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 8:46am
true assessment Second Chance. any idea of temperament ?
Rebel - racing. Lionel - in work. Glory - spelling. Ray - spelling. A Wee Nip - in work.
rem286 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem286 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 1:47pm
I believe temperament has been the major issue with the Sepoys.  Throws a lot of the Elusive Quality temper into them.  I know quite a few trainers with them who have said that the ability is there, just keeping them in the right head space has been the issue.  Need a mare with a calming influence.
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 2:08pm
yep fair enough Rem. also wondered about the Street Boss's. the few i have seen look to have a bit of a streak in the eye but happy to be told different
Rebel - racing. Lionel - in work. Glory - spelling. Ray - spelling. A Wee Nip - in work.
Spearmint View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spearmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 2:19pm
Temperament is one of the issues I am hearing about but then again that is maybe why they should be allowed to mature in both the mind and body before racing.

The Street Boss story is probably more about how hype and reality are not necessarily in unison and that service fees can be set on hype before reality sets in. That sometimes they are out of sync, then reality shows something good happening and hype and reality appears to align again!! ( maybe? )

Anyway as always time will tell with Sepoy
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 3:07pm
I have had my eye on a nice Sepoy 3 y/o filly whom I think if conditions suit will prove very hard to beat in the forthcoming AJC OAKS, of course the ultra smart Aloisia will be the big stumbling block, but if the tracks are traditionally anywhere near soft she will acquit herself well , she has always seemed behind the eight ball in her preps, this may be her time to shine,...Miss Admiration is her name.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 3:45pm
Thankyou all above for such informative & objective posts.
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

There's a deal of hype around Street Boss, however the reality is that he's been a very average stallion in Australia who stays under notice (at least temporarily) due to The Quarterback and some overseas successes.

4% SW/R in Sthn Hem is well above avg.  Not outstanding but very good.

Rapper Dragon & Petite Filous also top progeny
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 6:15pm
Sepoy less than 1% SW/R in Sthn Hem.

Sepoy served 45 blacktype mares in his debut year (2012) vs 6 for Street Boss.

In his 2nd year, Sepoy served 49 blacktype mares (2013) vs 4 for Street Boss.

In his 3rd year, Sepoy served 51 blacktype mares (2014) vs 6 Street Boss 

We should not be able to compare the two & Street Boss should be lagging big time based on the above!
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 6:20pm
Note - in that 2012 season, So You Think served 60 blacktype mares...................

The leading sires based on winners (8) - Sidereus served 3 blacktype mares & Love Conquers All served 4.

Smart Missile = 42 blacktype mares
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 6:57pm
Outstanding information.     How did you access this

I have seen similar just released figures for U.K. stallions based on mare class
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by Sir Gov Sir Gov wrote:

4% SW/R in Sthn Hem is well above avg.  Not outstanding but very good.  Rapper Dragon & Petite Filous also top progeny 

The problem is he can get a good horse, but most are quite ordinary.

Here's his stud record on the General Sires List over the last four seasons: 118th, 118th, 47th and 71st.  Not at $33k for mine.  Wink
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Glencoe Glencoe wrote:

Outstanding information.     How did you access this

I have seen similar just released figures for U.K. stallions based on mare class

Big project. Update every season. 

Went through the studbook mare by mare.

Analysed the last 5 years & proving valuable information
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by Spearmint Spearmint wrote:

Temperament is one of the issues I am hearing about but then again that is maybe why they should be allowed to mature in both the mind and body before racing.

The Street Boss story is probably more about how hype and reality are not necessarily in unison and that service fees can be set on hype before reality sets in. That sometimes they are out of sync, then reality shows something good happening and hype and reality appears to align again!! ( maybe? )

Anyway as always time will tell with Sepoy
Thanks Spearmint. Temperament can make everyone's life difficult. had a Bon Hoffa filly who never made it to the track after a number of preps due to her nervy nature. it was very disappointing and the feeling is we will never know. Breakers of course don't generally know how well they can go but he was a huge wrap for her . said he felt she was top 3 in his last 5 years of breaking if we could get her to settle. no such luck.

yes I hear you re Street Boss too. selecting a stallion is a difficult task
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 7:36pm

Note - in that 2012 season, So You Think served 60 blacktype mares...................

The leading sires based on winners (8) - Sidereus served 3 blacktype mares & Love Conquers All served 4.

Sir Gov, I spend a great deal of time looking at info like you . its bloody hard to select one even when you see all the info in front of you. perhaps too much info well done on all your work . hopefully it pays off for you.....
Paul Hogan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 7:44pm
That's not correct spearmint.

Street Boss has had to fight for what he has achieved in Aus.
He did not start as a hype stallion more an underdog.

33k in this industry is chicken feed.

Per starters 69.6% Winners
             5.5% Stakes
             2.4% Group

Give me a break 'Temperament'.
Spearmint View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spearmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 8:08pm
Did not say Street Boss started as a hype stallion.

What's wrong with temperament?

I saw Street Boss a few years ago at the Darley open day when he was $8k and remarked in an earlier post here that he impressed me as a stallion with his presence and conformation. Soon after his stock emerged as having good ability and up went his price.

Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by slowdown slowdown wrote:

Sir Gov, I spend a great deal of time looking at info like you . its bloody hard to select one even when you see all the info in front of you. perhaps too much info well done on all your work . hopefully it pays off for you.....

All the work can be put in & still sometimes come up with pumpkins....lol

Certainly wont pay off all the time but hoping to improve the odds.

As you say -  you have to seek value. I am Invincible/Snitzel are very good outliers whilst some other stallions have not delivered at this stage based on the mares they have received (ie. Smart M, SYT, Sepoy). 

This year, Zoustar & Epaulette should be leading the charge (based on mare quality).......prior years not played out like that 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 9:55pm
$33k on the back of this record?  I don't think so:

Last four seasons                 
118118477172Street Boss (USA), 2004, by Street Cry 101/330/00/01,082,508 Street Fury, $94,800
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 9:56pm

$33k on the back of this record?  I don't think so:

Last four five seasons                 
118118477172Street Boss (USA), 2004, by Street Cry 101/330/00/01,082,508 Street Fury, $94,800
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by Paul Hogan Paul Hogan wrote:

That's not correct spearmint.

Street Boss has had to fight for what he has achieved in Aus.
He did not start as a hype stallion more an underdog.

33k in this industry is chicken feed.

Per starters 69.6% Winners
             5.5% Stakes
             2.4% Group

Give me a break 'Temperament'.

3.5% sw to runners in Aus

33k ain't chicken feed, you can get into Teofilo for that and he's sitting on 6.4% sw to runners

The stallion you bag the gelati of stands for 8k and has 3.5% sw to runners
Paul Hogan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 7:57am
Teofilo is $10,000 more than SB after dealing has been done.

Street Boss has 10% more Winners to runners than Doomsday.

You will not survive in this industry on stake and group winners alone.
First you must show that you can make a silk purse out of a sows ear on the Winners to runners table.

SB has achieved that, will he survive going forward anyone's guess.
His fertility issues may make it difficult, but he does have the to die for Street Cry blood.

Domesday didn't survive at Darley, it's just a fact.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>