Join up at Crownbet - Click here - Crownbet is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Scandimania WOW!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

It is my contention that a 955m or 1000m race is far harder for unfit horses than a 1400m or a 1600m race.

DISCUSS - 

No way. I have seen plenty of horses win 1000 metre races that were obviously carrying condition, when I used to watch them in the paddock. Precious few in 1400-1600. I was shocked to see one win a low grade 1500m race at Eagle Farm one day, that was obviously "big". It went on to place in a Melbourne Cup. Another I recall winning when well above itself, might have been at its first start, long time ago, was Al Mansour, which went on to win top races. These days far fewer horses present in the yard obviously in need of the tun, anyway.
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Crownbet.

Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 4:41pm
Looks pretty cooked
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 4:54pm
Was previously with Robbie Griffiths before a long spell, and may have issues.

Is owned by a TBV member who should be able to assist if he makes a visit.
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 5:08pm
Yeah pretty good horse on its day , but has been plain both runs this prep. Not a good sign
anabel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anabel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by Magnolian Khan Magnolian Khan wrote:

Yeah pretty good horse on its day , but has been plain both runs this prep. Not a good sign

Not sure if she's always had a hot temperment but I've seen both runs this prep and she really plays up, doesn't seem to want to do it.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 5:34pm
Trained out of W'bool so she'd've gone there for good reason & if she's fizzing up & not wanting to race, I'd say the issues have become too much i.e. race = pain =adrenalin rush of fear.
Experience is something you gain a few minutes after you could have used it!
djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 5:44pm
Being on the production line she is unlikely to get specialized attention.

STRIKE WHILST THE IRON IS HOT

reductio ad absurdum

The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least.

Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 6:21pm
Specialized treatment is what Warrnambool is all about, but that said I agree with Gay.

I made several mistakes before realizing the error of my ways.  

First was one we bred which had issues, and after a few starts didn't appear to enjoy racing.  So we went to Benalla for a 2300m maiden for a lucky last throw at the stumps where the jockey applied the whip from start to finish and won by about 7-8 lengths, however I enjoyed the experience even less than the filly.  So I sold her as a hack only to find out she was later taken over by a picnic trainer who couldn't even run a place with her in that company.  

Next we bought one as a yearling and she won her first start and then ran 2nd in a Saturday metropolitan race at her following start.  After which she had issues so was transferred to a trainer who could swim and work her on the sand.  After a few more starts she missed the kick by about 10 lengths and didn't want to chase.

And there's two more stories similar to those above, confirming that either Hope Springs Eternal or that that I'm an extremely slow learner.  However the lesson has indeed finally been learned, and surprise surprise accompanied by an acknowledgement that pain actually hurts.

Scandimania's owner is a breeder himself so am pretty sure the penny will hopefully have dropped for him today also.

max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 6:59pm
So the moral of the story, is don't persist with unsound horses ? I guess if they have outstanding ability, that does not apply.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 9:11pm
Basically yes, I'd agree with that max, for every 1 known success there'd be at least 9 failures & the expense of rehabbing is enormous (vet costs) not to mention ensuing preps.
Naturally there'll be exceptions across the board such as sprinters with great heart/ lungs capacity who'll manage on little work so there may be an early return but everything has to go right in the lead up & on race day.
Then there are those who'll go thru' the pain barrier, especially mares & these finish up with catastrophic injuries at worst.
Let's see how the well publicised, injury prone Lizard Island goes this prep & I'd thought of another presently racing but have already forgotten. I'm sure others can name more Smile
Experience is something you gain a few minutes after you could have used it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic