Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Rubick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ninski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rubick
    Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 8:33pm
Hi All Haven't posted for a while but I'm thinking of sending an Exceed and Excel mare to this bloke.
What are the Villagers' thoughts on him?
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 9:09pm
Very fast horse.
reductio ad absurdum
Ammy42 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ammy42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 12:12am
Don't know much about him but his weanlings have been selling well.
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 10:33am
I wouldn't hesitate. Think he'll be a star at stud and obviously stunningly well bred
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

I wouldn't hesitate. Think he'll be a star at stud and obviously stunningly well bred

Why? His race record was reasonable at best and if you look through his form he was beaten in good races by horses that stand at a fraction of his service fee (Jabali,Va Pensiero). Not even a Group 1 placing on the resume and his Group 2 was at WFA in the spring when the sprinting colts have significant weight relief.

No doubt that the marketing machine is working overtime and his early weanlings sold well (which bodes well for 2018 yearlings) but I am far from convinced he has the credentials to actually make a stallion.
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 11:25am
Originally posted by robbo robbo wrote:

Why? His race record was reasonable at best and if you look through his form he was beaten in good races by horses that stand at a fraction of his service fee (Jabali,Va Pensiero). Not even a Group 1 placing on the resume and his Group 2 was at WFA in the spring when the sprinting colts have significant weight relief.

No doubt that the marketing machine is working overtime and his early weanlings sold well (which bodes well for 2018 yearlings) but I am far from convinced he has the credentials to actually make a stallion.

For what it's worth, I would write exactly the same missive about Deep Field.
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 12:17am
agree - squib. 
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 12:28pm
What price would you have him then, given the family he hails from & limited access to the sire line?
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 6:18pm
$8,000 or so? Limited access to the sireline ignores all of the sons of Northern Meteor that are successful. And NM is the only son of Encosta who has done a job at stud.

Redoute's is obviously a gun but until She Will Reign, Manhattan Rain was a commercial failure and he had a far superior race record - Sires Produce winner and Cox Plate placegetter. Echoes of Heaven and Platinum Scissors don't suggest that making a stallion from this family is a laydown misere.

robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 7:49pm

$8,000 or so? Limited access to the sireline ignores all of the sons of Northern Meteor that are available. And NM is the only son of Encosta who has done a job at stud.

Redoute's is obviously a gun but until She Will Reign, Manhattan Rain was a commercial failure and he had a far superior race record - Sires Produce winner and Cox Plate placegetter. Echoes of Heaven and Platinum Scissors don't suggest that making a stallion from this family is a laydown misere.

Typo in the above.
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 8:34pm

I think that's a bit harsh calling his record reasonable. Plenty of good stallions have worse form. I am Invincible for one off the top of my head.

I think he showed great speed which I like in a stallion then when ridden quiet he was dead stiff not to win a very good Challenge Stakes and won the G2 Schillaci.

This is a stallion producing family. Redoutes Choice, Al Maher, Hurricane Sky, Umatilla, Manhattan Rain
and Encosta has given us the great Chautauqua, English, Sacred Kingdom, Racing to Win, Alinghi,Mnemosyne etc

Happy to have a foal with any of that blood and certainly far superior to anything that Jabali or Va Pensierocan lay claim to, surelyThumbs Up
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 10:07am

$8,000 or so? Limited access to the sireline ignores all of the sons of Northern Meteor that are available. And NM is the only son of Encosta who has done a job at stud.

Typo in the above.

They wouldn't keep the lights on at $8k, not in the Hunter. That's basically suggesting that he's not a stallion at all.

There's enough evidence to suggest, in my mind, that $22k is right. He'd be $15k in any other region, but he's not in any other region. He's in amongst the premium mares in the country.
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Red Hare Red Hare wrote:

Typo in the above.

They wouldn't keep the lights on at $8k, not in the Hunter. That's basically suggesting that he's not a stallion at all.

There's enough evidence to suggest, in my mind, that $22k is right. He'd be $15k in any other region, but he's not in any other region. He's in amongst the premium mares in the country.

I don't disagree at all - if Coolmore are going to stand him they need to underpin the value of his progeny by standing him at a commercial fee. And you're right, the broodmare band gives him a chance to succeed, particularly in the sale ring. My point was more questioning whether he has the credentials to make it above other prospects.

Like Deep Field and Headwater, he only gets a chance if you disregard the only really objective measure of the likelihood of a stallion to succeed - racetrack performance. They all showed speed, they are all ripping types and they all have a pedigree; however in terms of the genuine group one performances that I think stallions at that fee should have, they're all lacking.

Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 4:08pm
Fair call.
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 5:51pm

Originally posted by Red Hare Red Hare wrote:

Typo in the above.

I don't disagree at all - if Coolmore are going to stand him they need to underpin the value of his progeny by standing him at a commercial fee. And you're right, the broodmare band gives him a chance to succeed, particularly in the sale ring. My point was more questioning whether he has the credentials to make it above other prospects.

Like Deep Field and Headwater, he only gets a chance if you disregard the only really objective measure of the likelihood of a stallion to succeed - racetrack performance. They all showed speed, they are all ripping types and they all have a pedigree; however in terms of the genuine group one performances that I think stallions at that fee should have, they're all lacking.

I am sure he had a good book from Coolmore in his 1st year - subsequent years?
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 6:26pm
214 year one and 162 last year. Not sure how many he will get in the notoriously difficult third season. But good books so far.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 6:41pm
At the risk of diverting the question, with an E&E mare I'd be looking very closely at Mikki Isle at Arrowfield.
Ninski View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ninski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 9:21pm
Yes I liked the look of him and he is definitely a contender.
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 8:34pm

those horses though would have stood for 44K with a decent G1 on the resume.

I would put deep field ahead of him, however manhattan rains record isn't shabby and he didn't possess brilliant speed which most of our stallions seem to require to succeed
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 3:10pm
Nice stallion prospect for Rubick.

RUUCA (AUS)Bay colt 2016 
Rubick
Bay 2011
Encosta de Lago
Bay 1993
Fairy King
Bay 1982
Northern Dancer
Bay 1961
Nearctic
Natalma
14-c
2-d
Fairy Bridge
Bay 1975
Bold Reason
Special
19-b
5-h
Shoal Creek
Chestnut 1988
Star Way
Chestnut 1977
Star Appeal
New Way
5-d
6-e
Rolls
Chestnut 1984
Mr Prospector
Grand Luxe
13-c
4-g
Sliding Cube
Chestnut 2004
Rock of Gibraltar
Bay 1999
Danehill
Bay 1986
Danzig
Razyana
7-a
2-d
Offshore Boom
Chestnut 1985
Be My Guest
Push a Button
8-c
10-a
Shantha's Choice
Bay 1992
Canny Lad
Brown 1987
Bletchingly
Jesmond Lass
7-a
14>
Dancing Show
Bay 1983
Nijinsky
Show Lady
8-f
8-f
Mining Tycoon
Bay 2009
Redoute's Choice
Bay 1996
Danehill
Bay 1986
Danzig
Bay 1977
Northern Dancer
Pas de Nom
2-d
7-a
Razyana
Bay 1981
His Majesty
Spring Adieu
4-d
2-d
Shantha's Choice
Bay 1992
Canny Lad
Brown 1987
Bletchingly
Jesmond Lass
7-a
14>
Dancing Show
Bay 1983
Nijinsky
Show Lady
8-f
8-f
Tycoon Joy
Bay 1995
Last Tycoon
Bay or brown 1983
Try My Best
Bay 1975
Northern Dancer
Sex Appeal
2-d
8-f
Mill Princess
Bay 1977
Mill Reef
Irish Lass
22-d
8-c
Christmas Spirit
Bay 1986
Bletchingly
Brown 1970
Biscay
Coogee
2-o
7-a
Joy and Fun
Bay 1978
Showdown
Denise's Joy
6-b
16-c
 Ancestor duplications:Northern Dancer4m x 5m,5m Danehill4m x 3m Bletchingly5m x 5m,4f 
  Shantha's Choice3f x 3m      
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 2:44pm
I can see myself mixing up Deep Field and Rubick all the time.

This one was very impressive in the first at Seymour this afternoon -

RUBISAKI (AUS)Bay filly 2016 
Rubick
Bay 2011
Encosta de Lago
Bay 1993
Fairy King
Bay 1982
Northern Dancer
Bay 1961
Nearctic
Natalma
14-c
2-d
Fairy Bridge
Bay 1975
Bold Reason
Special
19-b
5-h
Shoal Creek
Chestnut 1988
Star Way
Chestnut 1977
Star Appeal
New Way
5-d
6-e
Rolls
Chestnut 1984
Mr Prospector
Grand Luxe
13-c
4-g
Sliding Cube
Chestnut 2004
Rock of Gibraltar
Bay 1999
Danehill
Bay 1986
Danzig
Razyana
7-a
2-d
Offshore Boom
Chestnut 1985
Be My Guest
Push a Button
8-c
10-a
Shantha's Choice
Bay 1992
Canny Lad
Brown 1987
Bletchingly
Jesmond Lass
7-a
14>
Dancing Show
Bay 1983
Nijinsky
Show Lady
8-f
8-f
Senro Kisaki
Bay 2004
Danehill Dancer
Bay 1993
Danehill
Bay 1986
Danzig
Bay 1977
Northern Dancer
Pas de Nom
2-d
7-a
Razyana
Bay 1981
His Majesty
Spring Adieu
4-d
2-d
Mira Adonde
Bay or brown 1986
Sharpen Up
Chestnut 1969
Atan
Rocchetta
2-f
5-i
Lettre d'Amour
Grey 1979
Caro
Lianga
3-o
22-b
Liefling
Bay 1993
Alleged
Bay 1974
Hoist the Flag
Bay 1968
Tom Rolfe
Wavy Navy
9-h
5-i
Princess Pout
Bay 1966
Prince John
Determined Lady
14-f
2-s
Mata Cara
Bay or brown 1988
Storm Bird
Bay 1978
Northern Dancer
South Ocean
2-d
4-j
Fatah Flare
Bay 1982
Alydar
Beaconaire
9-c
4-m
 Ancestor duplications:Northern Dancer4m x 5m,5m Danehill4m x 3m
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 2:45pm
Ill go as far as to say she is a Guineas and Oaks filly. 
reductio ad absurdum
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 5:22pm

Clap
animals before people.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2019 at 12:38am
Careful.
He has had very large books. So far from 67 rnr's he has W:R rate of 37% and 2 black type wnrs i.e. 3%

One very good horse but the rest of his figures. are in line with expectations given his race performance.
It may be better to be a seller rather than a buyer
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2019 at 1:35am
Disappointing commentary with regards to Yes Yes Yes after his Everest win. The suggestion that he needs a G1 on the resume is, for mine, the very problem with where perceptions of the local breed have gone askew.

He’s the fastest EVER around the Randwick 1200m. Second fastest Golden Rose. Won what will be the highest rated sprint race in the world. Yet, if he never races again, the winner of the Coolmore - regardless of the performance - will be considered as the better stallion prospect.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2019 at 5:58pm
My post was not in reference to quality of the win. It was of the highest order.
It was more directed to Rubick's output. A very commendable 15 first season winners with 60% being metro but let's see how many are like YYY and graduate to open class
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 12:11pm
Not having a dig at you Glencoe, not by any stretch. Just happened to land as the next post after you.

Agree wholeheartedly that the more shots taken, the higher the score.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2019 at 10:12pm
Absolutely flying this stallion. Mdn wnr at Yeppoon todayWink
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Ninski Ninski wrote:

Hi All Haven't posted for a while but I'm thinking of sending an Exceed and Excel mare to this bloke.
What are the Villagers' thoughts on him?

Did  you send your mare to him ?   He is going OK I think ?
animals before people.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 7:54pm
Rubisaki a big winner again today.  A very serious filly with 7 wins and two 2nds from 9 starts, two stakes wins and $1m plus in the bank.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>