Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

RIP Richie Benaud

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP Richie Benaud
    Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 10:55am
Passed away in his sleep at the age of 82.

Probably Australia's best recognised and iconic cricket broadcaster
Znatchy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Znatchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 11:00am
A great commentator and a pioneer in sports broadcasting.

Read the game like a book.  Mastered the art of subtlety with his dry sense of humour.  Only ever spoke when he had something to add.  Today's commentators could all learn plenty from the great man.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 11:02am
A sad loss. I can remember growing up listening to him every summer. Really made the coverage what it is. Will be missed go sure!
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 11:06am
 how devastating...

watched him play as a very young child....my father was a big fan of him and Davo...

that accident seemed to send him on a downward spiral...

will miss him like hell...Cry
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 11:14am
How sad, will be missed greatly.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 11:28am

Australian fast bowling great Alan Davidson who played with Benaud as a schoolboy all the way through to Australian representation said Benaud was one of the great captains.

"He was a great assessor of the game," Davidson said. "With Richie it was never a risk but always a calculated decision to do something.

"Nobody every analysed or knew the opposition like Richie did and it was the same thing with his own team - he knew what every player in the side could do and that allowed for him to make decisions which, to the outsider, who wasn 't a cricket expert, seemed 'different'.

"Richie could assess a situation quickly, it wasn't so much waiting for a coach to send a message out because he acted mid-over. I bowled long spells for him on many an occasion ... he was a brilliant captain, a joy to play for - you have no idea."

Mayor View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mayor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 11:57am
Greatly missed... a wonderful life and legacy.
Mayor
AndiCap View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndiCap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 12:02pm
R.I.P Mr Benaud
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 12:07pm
Now thats a great man gone too soon.  R.I.P.
animals before people.
Tuft_it_Tees View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuft_it_Tees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 12:09pm
Malcolm Speed says Abbott should have knighted him, instead of the Duke !
cabosanlucas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 12:28pm
vale richie.

i guess we all probably thought the classic ch 9 commentary team would stay together forever.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 12:29pm
my mistake, was 84 not 82
Fletch View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 12:37pm
In a highly competitive industry, both cricket, and television, Richie's longevity to sustain such a long career in both, speaks volumes for who he was as a person.
He was a gentleman, and one must admire too how he happily let people impersonate him, and in many respects even his impersonators viewed him in a loving light.
Great effort that Richie.
Thanks for the wonderful memories.
RIP
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 1:13pm
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is stumps.

Vale the doyen of Australian cricket. Passed as he lived - quietly, without fuss or fanfare. Class act as first a bowler, then captain, then supreme commentator.

Give my regards to the Don, Richie.
cabosanlucas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 1:15pm
billy birmingham had enormous respect for richie, like everyone who knew him and even didnt know him. great man.
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 1:19pm
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 6:09pm
High profile public figure for 50 years or so and I can't recall anyone having a bad word about him. Top innings that.
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 6:10pm
...60 years
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 6:20pm
Thankfully the great man will never again have to listen to the crap that is dished up daily by the current commentary team
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuft_it_Tees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 7:20pm
Richie was ahead of his time, off the top of my head I can't think of any other cricketer from his era to make TV ads, and he had several. And really, he always had a "young" attitude, you never thought of him as an old man, which he was at the end.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

Thankfully the great man will never again have to listen to the crap that is dished up daily by the current commentary team

especially Tubby...

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuft_it_Tees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 7:28pm
Tubby's OK, at least he's not a Victorian. LOL
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 7:45pm
One of many great quotes by the great man this one referring to commentators

"Put your brain into gear and if you can add to what's on the screen then do it, otherwise shut up."
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 12:03am
Apart from his commentary, as a kid in the 80s who loved cricket, whatever he wrote formed my ideals about sport in general - play fair, play smart, have fun while you're playing. Pity people forget those things these days.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuft_it_Tees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 12:06am
I hate it when people only say "nice" things about the departed. We all know there is a little skeleton in the cupboard somewhere. Otherwise we may finish up with Saint Richie !
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 12:39am
Crashed his car "irresponsibly" one day. Feel better now?

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuft_it_Tees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 12:51am
Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

Crashed his car "irresponsibly" one day. Feel better now?

No, pal.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 12:55am
Originally posted by Tuft_it_Tees Tuft_it_Tees wrote:

I hate it when people only say "nice" things about the departed. We all know there is a little skeleton in the cupboard somewhere. Otherwise we may finish up with Saint Richie !

but you are the one who says we should not judge others and wait till all thew facts come out in court.

let's face it you are just a contrarian little s h i t head
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 12:56am
and a sanctimonious azzhole to boot
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuft_it_Tees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 12:59am
I'm sure Richie would agree with me, you need a little darkness for contrast. Even JBE would agree with me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>