Join up at Bet Easy - Click here - Bet Easy is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Tributes Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Rehoming Gallopers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rehoming Gallopers
    Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 9:25am
Lee is an absolute legend to these horses & actually shows Shetlands very successfully. How on Earth she finds the time is anyone's guess Clap Clap

Lee Purchase puts heart and soul into helping retired horses find new homes

• DARYL TIMMS
  • Herald Sun
  • April 28, 2015 8:00PM
Lee Purchase loves finding retired horses new homes. Picture: Ian Wilson

Lee Purchase loves finding retired horses new homes. Picture: Ian Wilson

FOR every fast horse, there are 100 or more slow ones.

Those without much ability often don’t even make it to the track, and stars can have their careers ended by injury or old age.

So what happens to gallopers who, for whatever reason, have been forced into retirement?

Out the back of Darren Weir’s Ballarat stables, there is about 1.5ha known as Lee’s Paddock. On any given day, the paddock contains horses Weir has retired from his stables for a variety of reasons, but “too slow” is near the top of the list.

Weir employee Lee Purchase, 34, had the paddock named after her and proudly admits the horses there are her pride and joy.

She looks forward to seeing them when she starts her working day at 4am.

Purchase is also in charge of the feeds at Weir’s massive establishment, where hundreds of horses come and go every year. She drives a horse truck and works for her boss on race days. But her most important role is finding homes for rejects and retirees.

Purchase estimated she had found homes all over Australia for “dozens and dozens” of Weir’s former racehorses, placing them in every imaginable equestrian pursuit — pony clubs, polo, eventing, showing and dressage. Some have even been taken as pets or used as four-legged lawnmowers.

Lee Purchase advertises the horses on Facebook. Picture: Ian Wilson

Lee Purchase advertises the horses on Facebook. Picture: Ian Wilson

“I show horses (shetlands) and I know my types and I know what people are after and I have done all the disciplines,” Purchase said. “I have been placing the horses for seven years and it started when friends asked me if we had any retired ones.

“It just went from there and dozens and dozens of horses have been placed. Darren built the paddock for me and he feeds them and they stay there for as long as it takes to find a home for them.”

Lee has a great eye for what future pursuits would suit a retired horse and points to a gelding in her paddock that she believes will make a lovely hack. “A horse might do an injury on the track but it won’t be any bother when they do other things,” she said.

Like a mother talking fondly about her children, Lee’s eyes light up when she talks about 2011 Swan Hill Cup winner Can Do who has just qualified for the biggest show in Australia next year, Grand Nationals, in Sydney.

Now an 11-year-old, Can Do had 57 starts for seven wins, eight seconds and nine thirds.

Purchase advertises the horses on Facebook.

“I just love what I’m doing and finding horses homes,” she said. “I just do it for the horses and I get a lot of pleasure out of it. I ask the track riders about them, but I know what they are like to handle on the ground. Of course, some horses go back to their owners or to stud.”

Lee, who said Racing Victoria’s racehorse retirement was a great imitative, believes it’s important for people to know that there is life after the racetrack for horses, and for that she and Weir should be commended.

Experience is something you gain a few minutes after you could have used it!
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 9:38am
What a wonderful person Lee is.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 12:11pm
Thank  heavens for people like her.
animals before people.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic